Rock Band series - Rock Band 4 out now

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']
I really don't like the cymbals though; [/QUOTE]

This.

I was going to sell mine, but now with this talk of pro mode I might keep them. I haven't touched them in a year due to space issues, but I might hook them up again when I get the basement done.

The cymbals are a pain in the ass to haul around. If you lose those little screws or the brackets for it, you're fucked.

You know, I like the idea in Green Day Rock Band of someone singing and playing the instrument, like being Billy Joe Armstrong and doing guitar and playing vocals.

However; after watching some of the live songs I earned on the game I've noticed that there is a session guitarist doing a fair bit of work. Would have been nice to have an option where you told the game one man was going to sing and play guitar and it would only give you the parts that Billy plays along with. Maybe call it, "Frontman" mode. Would have been interesting for the game to really encourage singing and playing an instrument at the same time.

On that same note; an option to place the vocal bar at the bottom of the screen when playing with instruments would be nice too. I play on a 42inch tv and it's too big to be able to keep track of the note highway and the vocals.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']You know, I like the idea in Green Day Rock Band of someone singing and playing the instrument, like being Billy Joe Armstrong and doing guitar and playing vocals.

However; after watching some of the live songs I earned on the game I've noticed that there is a session guitarist doing a fair bit of work. Would have been nice to have an option where you told the game one man was going to sing and play guitar and it would only give you the parts that Billy plays along with. Maybe call it, "Frontman" mode. Would have been interesting for the game to really encourage singing and playing an instrument at the same time.

On that same note; an option to place the vocal bar at the bottom of the screen when playing with instruments would be nice too. I play on a 42inch tv and it's too big to be able to keep track of the note highway and the vocals.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 100%. It's pretty misleading of the game to show you Billie Joe playing guitar and singing when he's not playing the lead part a lot of the time. I love playing and singing at the same time, and what I usually do is just put the vocals on easy, and only focus on the guitar part. If I don't know the words, I'll just mumble through that section until I get back to something I know again, haha. It's not an ideal system, but it works. Moving the lyrics under the instrument highways would help though.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I agree with this 100%. It's pretty misleading of the game to show you Billie Joe playing guitar and singing when he's not playing the lead part a lot of the time. I love playing and singing at the same time, and what I usually do is just put the vocals on easy, and only focus on the guitar part. If I don't know the words, I'll just mumble through that section until I get back to something I know again, haha. It's not an ideal system, but it works. Moving the lyrics under the instrument highways would help though.[/QUOTE]

But no one wants to be a touring guitarist :lol:

edit: that also reminded me of something, I hope the guitar pro-mode has a horizontal scrolling option like tab would read rather than the Tetris style vertical scrolling, seems like it would be more natural.

That "frontman mode" suggestion reminds me of what I would like to see: a vocal option for harmony/backing vocals ONLY. When I play with a group, I'm rarely the lead singer, but I do enjoy attempting to do the backing vocals. But, when playing by myself, I'd have to attempt to do the entire song, or else play on no-fail. An option for solo backing vocals only would be great practice. Anyone else agree? Or am I just weird like that???

[quote name='hhhdx4']But no one wants to be a touring guitarist :lol:

edit: that also reminded me of something, I hope the guitar pro-mode has a horizontal scrolling option like tab would read rather than the Tetris style vertical scrolling, seems like it would be more natural.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that what Rock Revolution does?

[quote name='hhhdx4']This would have been awesome in a Metallica game had Harmonix made one, or Activison not half ass it.[/QUOTE]

Huh? Metallica was pretty well regarded.

[quote name='Corvin']Huh? Metallica was pretty well regarded.[/QUOTE]

I loved it (then again they are my favorite band) but it could have been made so much better had it gotten the Beatles or Green Day treatment. especially with the soundtrack and the character models and venues.

[quote name='hhhdx4']I loved it (then again they are my favorite band) but it could have been made so much better had it gotten the Beatles or Green Day treatment. especially with the soundtrack and the character models and venues.[/QUOTE]

Yet it was made by a team full of people that clearly loved Metallica. Harmonix could have added some more polish, but I doubt it would have been much better (GH visuals aside).

[quote name='hhhdx4']I loved it (then again they are my favorite band) but it could have been made so much better had it gotten the Beatles or Green Day treatment. especially with the soundtrack and the character models and venues.[/QUOTE]

Soundtrack? I thought the music was well selected and very good in sound.

[quote name='lordopus99']Soundtrack? I thought the music was well selected and very good in sound.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming he means because the game was "Guitar Hero Metallica" and only had like 50% Metallica songs. Hey, I like Motorhead and Samhain, but not when I'm buying a game to play Metallica songs.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I'm assuming he means because the game was "Guitar Hero Metallica" and only had like 50% Metallica songs. Hey, I like Motorhead and Samhain, but not when I'm buying a game to play Metallica songs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but you weren't forced to play them since you didn't need to play every song in order to complete the game.

[quote name='2DMention']Isn't that what Rock Revolution does?[/QUOTE]

The videos of Rock Revolution that I saw had the look of Beatmania. I.e., scrolled down from the top. Was there an option for horizontal?

No, Rock Rev was just 2D vertical, no 3D depth perception. So they came straight down from the top, as opposed to fading in from the horizon like they do in RB/GH. No option for horizontal scrolling that I ever saw.

[quote name='lordopus99']Yeah but you weren't forced to play them since you didn't need to play every song in order to complete the game.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't really about being forced to play anything or caring about what it takes to complete the game - with the Beatles game you paid 60 bucks and got 45 Beatles songs, plus the option of 3 albums of DLC and a standalone single. With the Metallica game you paid 60 bucks and got 28 Metallica songs, plus the option of 1 album of DLC, plus a bunch of other stuff you may or may not like from random bands.

I didn't watch the MS press conference...no mention of Rock Band 3? Not that it's platform exclusive or anything but after they revealed Rock Band 2 during MS' thing a few years back I sort of expected it.

[quote name='KaneRobot']
I didn't watch the MS press conference...no mention of Rock Band 3? Not that it's platform exclusive or anything but after they revealed Rock Band 2 during MS' thing a few years back I sort of expected it.[/QUOTE]
Nope, just awhole lot of disappointment. Though at the time of me posting this the EA Press Conference is happening so hopefully awesome news.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I'm assuming he means because the game was "Guitar Hero Metallica" and only had like 50% Metallica songs. Hey, I like Motorhead and Samhain, but not when I'm buying a game to play Metallica songs.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much, I like the addition of a few of the songs and it wasnt all bad since the band did hand pick the songs from my understanding. But I was hoping for a complete Metallica soundtrack, a Rhythm/Frontman type mode (You cant play a Metallica song without guitar harmonies, Orion was terrible playing the harmonies as chords), and some late 80's character models, those 80's costumes are frightening.

Also the animations for the DLC songs are horrific, lars looks like hes having a stroke.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Yes I'm surprised EA didn't do a demo showcasing the new controllers. Maybe they're not ready to let them be playable on the show floor.[/QUOTE]
They can still at least show keytar since that was shown at the press event before E3 started. I'm still hoping for at least some kinda showing, but two or three more days of E3 so still have time.

Plus doesn't Activision do their own event usually around same time as E3, but not at E3? I'm curious to hear their response or anything they're doing specifically for Guitar Hero now.

Just posted on the RB Facebook:

4t3k2x.jpg

:lol:

From what I gathered, they spent more time showing off Dance Central (Harmonix) and Medal of Honor. They only got so much time, especially when you factor in all the sports.

I'm fine with it though since they already showed Rock Band 3 off just recently.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Just posted on the RB Facebook:

4t3k2x.jpg

:lol:[/QUOTE]
It's funny, I'm suprised that GH has that many. I would've sworn it was under 100 :lol:

I didn't even know that dance game was Harmonix until last night. I guess that at least partially explains why no RB3 during Microsoft's presentation though, obviously MS wanted to focus on Natal as much as possible.

[quote name='tcrash247']I'm not sure if this was posted yet, but this looks to be the track listing for RB3 so far. Looks pretty damn and that launch DLC is making me salivate already. I want the Superunknown album like now.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151624[/QUOTE]
Does indeed look awesome, only problem is that is from a forum on rockband.com that is for people to make their perfect track list. That is simply that guys dream list. That's how I interpret it at least

Also, that video is sweet. Now I'm looking forward to getting video of actual musicians playing their own music in Rock Band telling us how good or bad it is. Can you imagine seeing Jack White up there playing that squire and then saying...."Yeah, it's pretty legit". Stuff like that could really push the music genre up a few notches.

Yeah, it is a dream list. Don't feel too bad though as I thought it seemed official at first. Who the fuck puts that much work into something like that? He could have spent all that time playing Rock band, SHEESH!!!

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Yeah, it is a dream list. Don't feel too bad though as I thought it seemed official at first. Who the fuck puts that much work into something like that? He could have spent all that time playing Rock band, SHEESH!!![/QUOTE]I like how he apologizes to everyone about his fantasy DLC list being delayed. lol

I don't think any music game will ever live up to how good that list is. Harmonix should be taking notes from that guy.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Crazy video demonstration of pro mode. You can plug in an amp and get real guitar sound while you're playing the game :shock::
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/16/rock-band-3-squier-stratocaster-plays-both-real-and-virtual-guit/[/QUOTE]

Good that they're doing this, I guess. But it would have been retarded not to. Remember, it's a real guitar. Why completely neuter a real guitar? Even without the amp, you'll be able to hear what you're actually playing. For some reason, people seem to have trouble grasping that once you're in "pro mode" and using that Squier, you're basically taking guitar lessons. It's as real as it's going to get, and many of the songs in the game are going to be ridiculously "fuck me in the ass" hard. I am curious to see how some of the "expert shredders" take to having to deal with 6 strings and 22 frets though.

I will say after watching that video, I don't think I'm going to really like Pro Mode. Having to read the fret numbers on the screen with all the regular Rock Band color changing, lights, and trippy backgrounds is just going to be distracting as hell. If I'm trying to really learn how to play a song and keep up with the tempo, and basically sight read the damn thing, the last thing I want is annoying backgrounds and flashing lights pissing me off. I think at that point, I'd rather just sit down with the printed tabs and learn to play the song.

Also, the person who wrote that Engadget article is a dumbass. He was actually "put off" at first that they went to Fender's 2nd tier brand to make this controller? Did he want to pay the $500-$600 it probably would have cost to put this technology in even a MEXICAN made Fender Strat? At least Harmonix is TRYING to keep this accessible to the general public. I'm sure this thing will cost $100 more than what a regular Squier would ($180-230), so it's going to take quite a bit to get people jumping into Pro Mode, which is going to be far less enjoyable (at least right away) and far more work than the standard play up to this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Indiana Jones']Are the drums getting an upgrade for RB3 or is it the same thing as what came with RB2?[/QUOTE]Seems like it will be the same drums that came with RB2 or TB:RB. The only difference is that the "pro" mode will actually differentiate between cymbal hits and regular hits if you have the attachments.

So if you have RB2 drums plus the cymbal attachments that are already out, you're all set for pro drums. The mode will even work with old songs since HMX has apparently been coding cymbal hits from the beginning.

[quote name='lordopus99']Pro Mode to me is why bother. Why I say this is if I want to play real guitar, I am just going to pick mine up and play.[/QUOTE]

Well, I could see it having some small intrinsic value of maybe initially getting people into thinking about learning real guitar. But yeah, I think it's almost going to make things harder than they should be. Aside from the distracting visuals, it doesn't seem like Pro Mode really accounts for fingerings and hand position much at all. I did see that on some of the picking parts, it appears to give the chord name off to the left of the note highway, but that alone isn't going to tell people how they should be playing those parts.

Most likely, what you're going to end up with is people jumping all over the fret board (like they're used to with the plastic guitars), when the riff might simply be picking out a G chord. For that matter, how are people even going to know which fingers they should be using? It's like Pro Mode is going to give you the information without giving you the tricks or fundamentals that musicians learn before they tackle these difficult songs. Like I've said before, I'm all for making the game more realistic and giving people some useful skills, but I fear the execution is going to be lacking.

Another issue with promode is something I brought up in an earlier post.

What about songs that are way more difficult in game than when actually played on a real guitar? Green Day's Good Riddance came up right before all the RB3 info hit as a song that is waaaay more difficult on the game than on a real guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gheeopdl1bs

How will promode deal with this and maintain accuracy?

bread's done
Back