Rock Band series - Rock Band 4 out now

I think my Best Buy needs to get it's shit together. I was there at opening this morning, but when I headed back to the game area, all I could find was the game by itself. There were 2 large displays of GH: WoR, but nothing for RB3. I had to ask about the bundle. Turns out, they didn't even have the bundle. Just the keyboard alone, which was on a bottom shelf one aisle over from the games. Oh well, at least I got it. Now the long wait for my fiance to get off work begins.

[quote name='DariusWIND']I'm kinda pissed off, I was playing the demo for The Touch and at the end of it it asks if I wanted to purchase the song, I said yes and it downloaded The Countdown.[/QUOTE]I have a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why that happened with 'The Touch'.

Hot Rod "helped" Optimus Prime when he didn't need it.
RBN "helped" you when you didn't need it.
Hot Rod killed Optimus Prime.
RBN killed some of your points.
Hot Rod became the leader of the Autobots.
RBN will become the leader of DLC for RB1 & 2.

So, therefore, the Rock Band Network = Hot Rod.

For those who don't get the reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXG_zG2SEaw

Couple of things I don't like about the game so far that's really just me nitpicking .

- They seem to have taken out the option to sort by location in quickplay, unless I'm missing something.
- I prefer the look of RB2's highway/notes to RB3's.
- Harmonix is committing the cardinal sin when it comes to music games for me, flashing shit up on the screen GH-style.
- I don't like the new look when it goes into a solo.
- They took out some default characters/hairstyles, why?
- Not enough new guitars, etc. Unless you unlock more that I'm not aware of.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Even standard keys take some getting used to. I tried them on one song and instinctively kept overreaching for notes. It felt weird using my thumb. :p

I'll definitely be doing pro-keys primarily but it'll be fun to mess around with standard a bit. I think they have some of their own specific goals too. Favorite pro-key moment so far was running laps around my keyboard stand during "Need You Tonight." :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Yeah using my thumb and ring finger seem very weird, sine i never use my ring finger on anything, like typing and whatnot. It's like I have to have a pause in my brain to tell it to use that finger. It's weird for sure.

One thing I wish they had was during training, I wish they had videos of real people, where their hands are placed, and stuff like that. In DJ hero they did that, so I thought it would work well for this.

Oh and if anyone was interested in getting the keyboard stand, WELL worth the $30. It feels so much better to be playing standing up using the stand.

Is anybody else having trouble redeeming their gamestop codes? I tried entering it and it gives me some kind of error message.

Is it down and is the server getting slammed, or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: NVM. It's case sensitive.
Double Edit: Holy shit! 128M for 3 songs?! That keyboard and pro data must add alot of memory used!

[quote name='Trakan']Couple of things I don't like about the game so far that's really just me nitpicking .

- They seem to have taken out the option to sort by location in quickplay, unless I'm missing something.
- I prefer the look of RB2's highway/notes to RB3's.
- Harmonix is committing the cardinal sin when it comes to music games for me, flashing shit up on the screen GH-style.
- I don't like the new look when it goes into a solo.
- They took out some default characters/hairstyles, why?
- Not enough new guitars, etc. Unless you unlock more that I'm not aware of.[/QUOTE]

This was an issue I had with RB2; they got rid of a lot of the tattoo options and I couldn't for the life of me see why.

Also the nightcat hair style is substantially different and it's pretty much the set piece of my legendary drummer...Dr. Dream. I think the pompadour is gone, and that was also a major part of one of my characters.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Also the nightcat hair style is substantially different and it's pretty much the set piece of my legendary drummer...Dr. Dream. I think the pompadour is gone, and that was also a major part of one of my characters.[/QUOTE]

The pompadour is definitely in, though the look itself may have changed.

Anyone able to get their RB2 export going? I'm just getting an error.

[quote name='BlueSwim']I have a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why that happened with 'The Touch'.

RBN killed some of your points.[/QUOTE]

:lol: :applause:

I was getting a error as well but scrolled down to the second choice and the export was sitting in there for some reason. Downloading now but 1.93gb is gonna take me a bit.

[quote name='Trakan']The pompadour is definitely in, though the look itself may have changed.

Anyone able to get their RB2 export going? I'm just getting an error.[/QUOTE]

How do you do the export? I tried putting in the code from my RB2+3 manual in "Get More Songs". I've even tried looking at the menus in RB2, but I just get an error.

Scrolling down to the second choice just makes things freeze.

I DLd the Doors songs and the Gamestop pre-order pack fine.

[quote name='2DMention']Double Edit: Holy shit! 128M for 3 songs?! That keyboard and pro data must add alot of memory used![/QUOTE]
Jesus. I have the 250 GB model and I'm still scared (if they start releasing a lot of stuff I like, anyway). I can't imagine trying to expand your RB3 library only having 60GB hard drive.

Kind of disappointed in Harmonix/EA here - not only are there a ton of problems with RBN right now, but they don't even have their website ready for launch day.

...maybe the latter is due to the former and they just don't want to deal with people screaming at them.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Jesus. I have the 250 GB model and I'm still scared (if they start releasing a lot of stuff I like, anyway). I can't imagine trying to expand your RB3 library only having 60GB hard drive.

Kind of disappointed in Harmonix/EA here - not only are there a ton of problems with RBN right now, but they don't even have their website ready for launch day.

...maybe the latter is due to the former and they just don't want to deal with people screaming at them.[/QUOTE]

I've only got a 60 gig, and have like 25G left. I'm trying to minimize the other stuff I DL so I have enough room.

I don't have trouble with RBN. In 3, they're mashed together with the regular store.

[quote name='BlueSwim']I have a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why that happened with 'The Touch'.

RBN killed some of your points.
Hot Rod became the leader of the Autobots.
RBN will become the leader of DLC for RB1 & 2.

So, therefore, the Rock Band Network = Hot Rod.

For those who don't get the reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXG_zG2SEaw
[/QUOTE]

Well thank you. But I'm wondering if Hot Rod is the RBN and Optimus is me, who is Megatron, the Xbox?

I have tried entering my codes in the get more songs-redeem code, but nothing is happening, as well as my gamestop preorder code. Any help on what I might be doing wrong?

[quote name='Blade3D']I have tried entering my codes in the get more songs-redeem code, but nothing is happening, as well as my gamestop preorder code. Any help on what I might be doing wrong?[/QUOTE]

Hm, my gamestop one worked fine. I entered it at 12:15 am after I got home from the midnight launch.

I seem to be connected to Rock Central. I am online, and can access the store, and multiplayer, this is getting very frustrating.

I didn't pick up RB3 yet, but looking at that list of non exportable songs makes me very sad. I can't believe I'm losing Battery, Give It Away and Spoonman. I REALLY hope this doesn't mean RHCP, SG and Metallica won't be having more new DLC.

I wonder if you'll be able to re-buy any of those tracks like Give it Away. Seems like having a missing part of an album would be an issue.

Also I'm just a little glad that I won't get this game until Thursday. Wait for the bugs to get worked out or the server load to lighten a little.

[quote name='DariusWIND']Well thank you. But I'm wondering if Hot Rod is the RBN and Optimus is me, who is Megatron, the Xbox?[/QUOTE]That sounds about right to me. I'm also pretty sure that in this crazy, alternative Transformers universe Kevin Butler is Starscream.:lol::lol::lol:

But in all seriousness, I'd send an e-mail to EA Support and tell them what happened. The might give you a code for 'The Touch' and let you keep the other song anyways.:cool::cool::cool:

I am able to browse and look at all the songs too but I am getting the same error messege when I input both codes

Easiest way to see if you are connected to the Rock Central servers is to go to career->my rankings->Rock Band 3 Rankings. If you are not you will get a message saying to connect, if you are you will get your rankings.

I was on at 1pm central today and was able to DL the free doors songs, and the Gamestop pre-order songs. Remember that you have to enter the codes in CAPITALS for it to work.

I noticed the store was open, but wouldn't connect to Rock Central. Hmmm.

I managed to DL the extra Doors songs, most of them seem pretty near or at devil tier on keys.
I also noticed that they don't seem to sell the Doors songs separately, only as a pack. I wanted to DL people are strange.
Impressions:

I like the streamlined Interface and all the cool little transitions between menus. It's cool when you get more songs, it shows your band going through a case of records.

I'm neutral on the look of the game. I guess it looks kinda more Guitar Heroish. I kind of liked the look of 2 better, I guess.

Some things I don't like how that there are no narrated tutorials. If they're there, I can't find them. I had to figure out the keyboard on my own.

This game isn't made for people with SDTVs. The text is very small to read, they tailored it for HDTV players. Makes doing the pro lessons very tough. It's also hard to read many messages and see some of the band information on the song selection.

And speaking of song selection, what's the deal with having to hit "Y" to see the year of the song and other information? I thought the way they displayed things on RB2 were fine.

Other than that, the keyboard is fun. I'm only playing on 5 button. I tried pro lessons and it will take me awhile to get that far. The scoring seems really strict on keys. I got in the low 90% and I only got 3 stars. My only gripe with keys is that some songs have very minimal keys and for alot of the song, you're just sitting there doing nothing. Songs like Whip It are fun and almost had a constant key part.

I have the same issue trying to redeem GameStop code. Tried to enter the code both in capital letters and normal but keep getting error message.
On the other hand, the Doors free DLC downloaded just fine.
Does anyone know how much the Doors full pack DLC would cost after the promotional week? Right now it's available for 1200pts.

Just installed... Then downloaded an update? Any idea what this update is?
Edit: Just redeemed my gamestop code with no issues. The screen stayed blank for about 20 seconds but the code was redeemed fine.

Still... can't... connect...

Anywho, a few comments:

- As Trakan said, where did the characters go? I miss the Freddy Mercury impersonator and a couple others, and most of the "new" ones are just plain fugly :(
- On a related note, my go to outfit from RB1/2 is gone. The leather trench. There's goes my usual deathclock rocker
- like 2DMention said, the characters seem to be more GHish... imho ugly
- Who the hell picked half these tracks. Thank God for the option to make sure they don't appear in setlists. I mean, Amy Whinehouse? Really?

Other than those (admitedly small complaints) I'm overall pleased though. Seems a better (though I need to get used to it) interface on the whole, and I LOVE the new way to add/drop out, and even swap gamertags to the new instruments.

Also, holy hell to Pro Keys. Regular keys are straight boring (strumless guitar at best, or sitting twiddling your thumbs half the song). And with only 5 notes, a lot of chords are rediculously unatural if you've every played piano before. But Pro, oooo, I'mma need to sink some time into being able to actually learn to read it, but that seems fun.

Woot! Just got through for the RB2 DL.

Also, am I the only one having a hell of a time with HOPOs now? IDK if my timing from calibration is off, or if there is something odd with RB3.

I play gay Rock Band songs so no big loss on the exported songs except for Journey. My interest in Rock Band piqued as they started including songs other than the "ROCK AND ROLL MAN" headbanger stuff.

No one I know bought the pro guitar controller or has any interest in it. When I went to the midnight release there were only 10 people there and none of them wanted the pro guitar either. Either people are waiting for the other pro guitar or they aren't just interested in it.

Pro keys is amazing. I did the trainer for Imagine and I can go from the game to my real piano and play a decent version of the song. That gimmick of being able to play the song on a real instrument seems to work.

[quote name='Spokker']I play gay Rock Band songs so no big loss on the exported songs except for Journey. My interest in Rock Band piqued as they started including songs other than the "ROCK AND ROLL MAN" headbanger stuff.

No one I know bought the pro guitar controller or has any interest in it. When I went to the midnight loss there were only 10 people there and none of them wanted the pro guitar either. Either people are waiting for the other pro guitar or they aren't just interested in it.

Pro keys is amazing. I did the trainer for Imagine and I can go from the game to my real piano and play a decent version of the song. That gimmick of being able to play the song on a real instrument seems to work.[/QUOTE]

Well one of the problems with pro guitar is that isn't not released yet... and the fender doesn't have a date or price...

I had the madcatz preordered but canceled after checking out a few reviews of it. I mean it sounds like it works pretty well but just didn't compare to the fender so I'll hold off for it.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']This was an issue I had with RB2; they got rid of a lot of the tattoo options and I couldn't for the life of me see why.

Also the nightcat hair style is substantially different and it's pretty much the set piece of my legendary drummer...Dr. Dream. I think the pompadour is gone, and that was also a major part of one of my characters.[/QUOTE]

Had this problem too - I wanted the anime buns back. How am I supposed to recreate Schaenk E. Hoh now?

Well. Harmonix has nicely managed to drop the ball on their launch day. Still can't download that song I paid for either. Nice job.

Hope this shit is cleared up when I get it tomorrow, but I'm not banking on it.

I forgot to mention a couple of pages ago - regarding that guitar I bought and did the unboxing video of - the tilt sensor was bad. And the 2nd fret kept "catching" when I tried to press it. The latter was easily fixable but the former, not so much. I just got my replacement today and it appears to be working properly.

[quote name='Afflicted']Well one of the problems with pro guitar is that isn't not released yet... and the fender doesn't have a date or price...[/QUOTE]
I thought what I saw in the store was the Mustang. My mistake. I guess it was just a regular guitar they were trying to sell.

[quote name='BlueSwim']:lol::lol::lol: Yeah, ECW was my introduction to 'Enter Sandman'. Pro Wrestling has actually been a pretty big influence on my taste in music. I started listening to Nirvana because of Raven(not to mention Offspring) & DDP, Pearl Jam via Chris Jericho, White Zombie thanks to Lance Storm(though I was already a fan of Rob Zombie as a solo artist thanks to--of all things--Twisted Metal III), Motorhead from Triple H. Good times.:cool::cool::cool:[/QUOTE]
Which reminds me, everytime I hear Pantera and Walk I still think RVD.

And those 9 Rock Band 2 Harmonix songs? They're coming back as a free download pack with keys, harmonies and pro support.

And oh yeah my friend got the Mustang from Mad Catz today...Guitar is fucking hard. Nuff said.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Anyone use wireless mics on RB3 yet? Any problems with them? I heard there was problems with RB2.
[/QUOTE]
If we're talking about the Logitech wireless ones then they're not bad. A Smidge more overly sensitive about vocals and harder to do tambourine parts on it, but otherwise not bad and good distance you can take them on just takes a bit of getting use to.

The Lips mics honestly I've had mixed results. Depending on location I've had times where the 360 won't pick it up when playing Rock Band. When it does work...bit of mixed results as well. I Prefer wired mics over them.

OP, the white text in the First post isn't readable on the iPhone version of the site. Any chance you could change the color? Thanks!

[quote name='PenguinoMF']
Off topic from RB, has anyone seen Rock of the Dead? I saw it in Gamestop today and could only imagine how crappy it is.[/QUOTE]

I like the idea, because I LOVED Typing of the Dead. But I don't like how the charts are Rock Revolutionish. They're off on the wrong foot for doing that.

I"ll pick it up when it drops to extras or modify game you can tick a box for tutorials, but nothing comes up.

Edit: I know it's early, but has anybody run into solos for any instrument other than guitar?

The end of In the Meantime has a keyboard solo, as does Low Rider. For some reason, solo %s don't come up in road challenges. Hope they patch that.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back