Rock Band series - Rock Band 4 out now

[quote name='2DMention']Foolish gamer - don't you know that Dave Grohl is to Rock Band as Al Gore is to the Internet? He was responsible for over 2,000 tracks. Dave Grohl IS rock band. He programmed it, conceived it, designed it, and did all the music for it.:bouncy:[/QUOTE]
So whenever it says "As Made Famous By" I can rest assured that it's more then likely Dave Grohl doing a cover?

[quote name='bardockkun']So whenever it says "As Made Famous By" I can rest assured that it's more then likely Dave Grohl doing a cover?[/QUOTE]

Good. Now I know who to kill for those crappy Iron Maiden covers from RB1.

[quote name='bardockkun']So whenever it says "As Made Famous By" I can rest assured that it's more then likely Dave Grohl doing a cover?[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Just got an email from Fender about the Squier guitar. MSRP is $279.99. Preorders start on Jan. 1, 2011, and it will be available Mar. 1, 2011.

[quote name='YourFace']Just got an email from Fender about the Squier guitar. MSRP is $279.99. Preorders start on Jan. 1, 2011, and it will be available Mar. 1, 2011.[/QUOTE]
I think I'll just pick one up from Craigslist a few months after release when people figure out how hard it will be to learn guitar.

[quote name='YourFace']Just got an email from Fender about the Squier guitar. MSRP is $279.99. Preorders start on Jan. 1, 2011, and it will be available Mar. 1, 2011.[/QUOTE]

A little more than I expected but not horrible. Since it's MSRP, if it is sold elsewhere (ie Amazon) it'll probably be a little less. Isn't it only sold direct though? Or did I dream that?

Agreed with the post above this though. I'll just wait for the inevitable run of kids who have to own it immediately but then decide it's not fun/too hard.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']I think I'll just pick one up from Craigslist a few months after release when people figure out how hard it will be to learn guitar.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a solid plan.

The Squier and Mustang will be even more niche than the lowest selling Atlus game.

Seriously, they've had 2 years to develop and build these instruments ... Why can't everything come out on release?

They did the same thing for the wireless guitars for RB1.

Dave Grohl must have been too busy.

279? Cheaper than the 300 I thought it would be, but after playing expert pro keys (and having my ass handed to me) I'm out. Keys has a hell of a lot less to keep track of (imho) and it's still nearly impossible to sight read, and I'm really not a fan of using practice mode to learn the songs.

[quote name='YourFace']Just got an email from Fender about the Squier guitar. MSRP is $279.99. Preorders start on Jan. 1, 2011, and it will be available Mar. 1, 2011.[/QUOTE].......or one could have 140(at least) DLC songs of their choice, instead.

I love Rock Band, but that price offers no incentive to pick it up over an actual guitar.

[quote name='Zmonkay']279? Cheaper than the 300 I thought it would be, but after playing expert pro keys (and having my ass handed to me) I'm out. Keys has a hell of a lot less to keep track of (imho) and it's still nearly impossible to sight read, and I'm really not a fan of using practice mode to learn the songs.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. I thought the guitar would be at least $300 using even the cheapest Squier model. At least they recognized they had to make these somewhat accessible.

My experience with pro keys has actually made pro guitar MORE appealing to me than it initially was though. I know, without question, it will be ridiculously hard. But being a musician, playing the pro keys mode actually made me feel like I was practicing...which was nice. Yes, sight reading in this format is incredibly unrealistic, but it should be. But what did impress me is what kind of teaching and practicing tool pro mode can be.

I don't know how much somebody who knows nothing about piano or guitar will actually learn. But if you know the basics and can at least play some chords, I think it can do you some good. In the same way I used to view Rock Band as very, very basic exercises in rhythm and dexterity, pro mode is an extension of that. No, you're not going to be able to just jump in and play the song. But you can learn it, and it could help you grow your skills. And most importantly, it's something you can apply outside of the game.

I Think I may get that guitar on launch. Tried the Mustang and it's pretty damn fun, but the fact that all the chords are the same length and no difference in thickness kinda makes it a pain.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']My thoughts exactly. I thought the guitar would be at least $300 using even the cheapest Squier model. At least they recognized they had to make these somewhat accessible.

My experience with pro keys has actually made pro guitar MORE appealing to me than it initially was though. I know, without question, it will be ridiculously hard. But being a musician, playing the pro keys mode actually made me feel like I was practicing...which was nice. Yes, sight reading in this format is incredibly unrealistic, but it should be. But what did impress me is what kind of teaching and practicing tool pro mode can be.

I don't know how much somebody who knows nothing about piano or guitar will actually learn. But if you know the basics and can at least play some chords, I think it can do you some good. In the same way I used to view Rock Band as very, very basic exercises in rhythm and dexterity, pro mode is an extension of that. No, you're not going to be able to just jump in and play the song. But you can learn it, and it could help you grow your skills. And most importantly, it's something you can apply outside of the game.[/QUOTE]

This is why I want the Pro-Mode guitar. I have a guitar, but I'm nowhere good with it. I know I'm going to put a bunch of time into Rock Band 3, so why not use some of that time to develop an actual skill.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']My experience with pro keys has actually made pro guitar MORE appealing to me than it initially was though.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I do play "real guitar," but I'm mediocre at best and I'm pretty excited about this. I just hope it works as advertised and isn't plagued by the hardware problems some past "game instruments" have had.

[quote name='jonathanp']This is why I want the Pro-Mode guitar. I have a guitar, but I'm nowhere good with it. I know I'm going to put a bunch of time into Rock Band 3, so why not use some of that time to develop an actual skill.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. This is what annoys me about people shitting on the idea of the pro guitar. For all we know this is going to be huge and this will be the primary way of how people begin to learn to play guitar in 10 years.

...it could bomb horribly too, of course, but it's pretty respectable that HMX was willing to try this at least.

I'm pretty damn good at guitar though not usually a note-for-note solo kind of guy. (Not trying to brag, just been playing a looooong time)
Will be interesting to see how my skills translate to Pro Guitar. I ordered the Mustang last night!
I'm sure I will end up getting the Squier also, LOL.

I just picked the keyboard up today, and prokeys are going to be painful. What's going to be more painful though is playing with my friends who want to use the keys and they end up slowing the track down when they play it on easy. I hate that shit!

[quote name='KaneRobot']Same here. I do play "real guitar," but I'm mediocre at best and I'm pretty excited about this. I just hope it works as advertised and isn't plagued by the hardware problems some past "game instruments" have had.

Bingo. This is what annoys me about people shitting on the idea of the pro guitar. For all we know this is going to be huge and this will be the primary way of how people begin to learn to play guitar in 10 years.

...it could bomb horribly too, of course, but it's pretty respectable that HMX was willing to try this at least.[/QUOTE]

I just with they were doing an actual bass as well... gonna feel odd to play pro bass on a guitar.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']I just picked the keyboard up today, and prokeys are going to be painful. What's going to be more painful though is playing with my friends who want to use the keys and they end up slowing the track down when they play it on easy. I hate that shit![/QUOTE]
You know you can do individual track speeds in the game, right? Menu>Options>Modifiers>Individual Track Speeds.

Plus oddly enough, Dave Grohl working on With Teeth as only work he's done with NIN. Tried playing Hand That Feeds and he doesn't show up on that one.

[quote name='bardockkun']You know you can do individual track speeds in the game, right? Menu>Options>Modifiers>Individual Track Speeds.

Plus oddly enough, Dave Grohl working on With Teeth as only work he's done with NIN. Tried playing Hand That Feeds and he doesn't show up on that one.[/QUOTE]

Achievements like that and the 80's Metal one have to be DLC. Can't be exported songs.

Damn, RB3 didn't do so hot in the UK.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-01-how-many-copies-did-rock-band-3-sell

Less than 7500 units sold. Hopefully the US numbers are way higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Trakan']Achievements like that and the 80's Metal one have to be DLC. Can't be exported songs.

Damn, RB3 didn't do so hot in the UK.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-01-how-many-copies-did-rock-band-3-sell

Less than 7500 units sold. Hopefully the US numbers are way higher.[/QUOTE]
I think this game will pick up sales as the year goes on. As silly as it sounds, not having a band bundle may have hurt sales. Here is my theory...Almost every store in the us that I went to to get the keyboard bundle, the things were hidden amongst the discounted Band Hero and Guitar Hero giant boxes. So maybe taking up major retail space is a good strategy after all? Who knows...

You guys should check out my review of the game if you get bored: http://gamerfill.com/node/1420

I Think the biggest problem is MadCatz has no fucking idea how to ship things out on time or when. They're working on the new drum with cymbals and Mustang guitar, but those things were never given a damn solid date on when they were suppose to be released. They advertise and preview the hell out of the new features for Rock band 3 and come release date, really only new feature people can try is just the keys and I want to say that's only because EA themselves sent it out because it was packed with the game. If they had given everything a solid timed date for everything I think the game would've sold ALOT better, but the fact it's such a clusterfuck I wouldn't be surprised to see mediocre sales for the first week of release.

I grabbed my parents unused acoustic guitar. I'm entering the 4th week of learning it(from no string instrument experience) and I was excited for the stratocaster but next March...by then I figure my actual guitar skill might be good enough to just buy a regular non-RB guitar.

[quote name='bardockkun']You know you can do individual track speeds in the game, right? Menu>Options>Modifiers>Individual Track Speeds.

Plus oddly enough, Dave Grohl working on With Teeth as only work he's done with NIN. Tried playing Hand That Feeds and he doesn't show up on that one.[/QUOTE]

Well hot diggitydog!

You can also choose between activating star power on drums by using fills or something similar to the beatles right?

Anyone know how that affects the score boards?

[quote name='BlueSwim'].......or one could have 140(at least) DLC songs of their choice, instead.

I love Rock Band, but that price offers no incentive to pick it up over an actual guitar.[/QUOTE]

It is an actual guitar.

[quote name='dastly75']I grabbed my parents unused acoustic guitar. I'm entering the 4th week of learning it(from no string instrument experience) and I was excited for the stratocaster but next March...by then I figure my actual guitar skill might be good enough to just buy a regular non-RB guitar.[/QUOTE]

It can be used as a regular non-RB guitar.

Edit - didn't see practically the same thing posted right above this in response to someone else. But I suppose it's worth driving the point home...

[quote name='KaneRobot']It can be used as a regular non-RB guitar.

Edit - didn't see practically the same thing posted right above this in response to someone else. But I suppose it's worth driving the point home...[/QUOTE]

Well, in all fairness, that's a tough case to make because while TECHNICALLY, you'll be able to play the guitar outside of the game, you could get a much nicer guitar for $280. I guess it really just depends what you want out of it.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Well hot diggitydog!

You can also choose between activating star power on drums by using fills or something similar to the beatles right?

Anyone know how that affects the score boards?[/QUOTE]Yup, you can disable drum fills in the options, which gives you the Beatles-style overdrive activation. And I believe the notes that occupy the usual fill area remain unscored, so this won't have any affect on leaderboard eligibility.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Well hot diggitydog!

Anyone know how that affects the score boards?[/QUOTE]
It doesn't effect scores if you do it Beatles style. Instead it basically gives you like a preset fill in rhythm with the song.

[quote name='bardockkun']It doesn't effect scores if you do it Beatles style. Instead it basically gives you like a preset fill in rhythm with the song.[/QUOTE]

Pshhh! Well in that case I'll stick with classic fills! As time has gone by my fill abilities have become pretty good.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Yup, you can disable drum fills in the options, which gives you the Beatles-style overdrive activation. And I believe the notes that occupy the usual fill area remain unscored, so this won't have any affect on leaderboard eligibility.[/QUOTE]

Gonna have to remember this, as I absolutely suck at fills, and hate how it breaks the flow of the song.

"Linking is coming very soon!

We're still putting the finishing touches on this feature and hope to have it ready soon! Stay updated on the forums, on Facebook or on Twitter!"

....just an (annoying) reminder. COME ON ALREADY.

I just played this for about an hour and I have to mention one thing I'm very impressed about. I'm a huge Primus fan, they're my number 1 favorite band, so obviously the first song I played was Jerry Was A Race Car Driver. I was shocked to see that my guy on screen was actually tapping his bass (the way Les Claypool plays it) and not just playing it regularly. That kind of attention to detail is why this game is awesome.

After playing The Power of Love a few times in RB3, I think it's safe to say that we really need a Huey Lewis and the News pack.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Do you guys have any recommendations for a DIY mod to make the RB1 drums quieter?[/QUOTE]

I've found the Drum Pad Silencers help a lot, have you looked at those? They are only $20.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016KGNOA/

If I recall correctly, there are different models of RB1 kits, and some are more sensitive than others.
If you have the ones that are really sensitive (like I did) these should work fine. If they are the less
sensitive ones, I'm not sure. Sorry I don't remember more details, this was years ago now.

[quote name='porieux']I've found the Drum Pad Silencers help a lot, have you looked at those? They are only $20.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016KGNOA/

If I recall correctly, there are different models of RB1 kits, and some are more sensitive than others.
If you have the ones that are really sensitive (like I did) these should work fine. If they are the less
sensitive ones, I'm not sure. Sorry I don't remember more details, this was years ago now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did see those on Amazon but I was hoping there was something else I could do myself that would cost less than $20.

[quote name='Trakan']After playing The Power of Love a few times in RB3, I think it's safe to say that we really need a Huey Lewis and the News pack.[/QUOTE]
Fully agreed! :D

I'm loving RB3, the keyboard is super-quality, the interface is slick, the game has never looked better, and yet I can't help but feel like something's off. I can't quite put my finger on it.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Yeah, I did see those on Amazon but I was hoping there was something else I could do myself that would cost less than $20.[/QUOTE]

Well, the cheap way of doing it is getting the adhesive foam pads and felt sheets. Some Wal-Marts carry this stuff, but you'd probably have an easier time finding it at Michael's or Hobby Lobby or whatever craft store you have in your area. There was a big thread on this in the Rock Band forums back in the day, but I can't find it since they redid the website. Here's a Youtube video that should give you the gist though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6zrnMUEEno

They're not quite as good as regular drum mutes or probably even the mad catz silencers, but they're definitely cheaper. This should cost you less than $10 (assuming you know how to use a compass and a pair of scissors...and won't have to buy a "circle cutter"). I would recommend using a sheet of paper as a tester and then as an outline. That way you won't have to worry about screwing up your foam/felt. Here's how my drums came out after I did them. I cut the foam to fit the full pad, but then cut the felt a little smaller so the colors could be seen. I thought it looked decent.
rbdrums.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, the cheap way of doing it is getting the adhesive foam pads and felt sheets. Some Wal-Marts carry this stuff, but you'd probably have an easier time finding it at Michael's or Hobby Lobby or whatever craft store you have in your area. There was a big thread on this in the Rock Band forums back in the day, but I can't find it since they redid the website. Here's a Youtube video that should give you the gist though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6zrnMUEEno

They're not quite as good as regular drum mutes or probably even the mad catz silencers, but they're definitely cheaper. This should cost you less than $10 (assuming you know how to use a compass and a pair of scissors...and won't have to buy a "circle cutter"). I would recommend using a sheet of paper as a tester and then as an outline. That way you won't have to worry about screwing up your foam/felt. Here's how my drums came out after I did them. I cut the foam to fit the full pad, but then cut the felt a little smaller so the colors could be seen. I thought it looked decent.
rbdrums.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting that, I can definitely do $10 and it doesn't look bad at all.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I'm loving RB3, the keyboard is super-quality, the interface is slick, the game has never looked better, and yet I can't help but feel like something's off. I can't quite put my finger on it.[/QUOTE]

For me it's that everything you do counts toward the same overall objectives.

Not that I mind the way it's set up now - I actually prefer it, I think. But it's just odd not having a distinct career mode and a distinct quickplay mode.

[quote name='KaneRobot']For me it's that everything you do counts toward the same overall objectives.

Not that I mind the way it's set up now - I actually prefer it, I think. But it's just odd not having a distinct career mode and a distinct quickplay mode.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, for a while I didn't think the game had a career/world tour mode. I looked high and low through the "Career" tab and it was only the achievements and objectives, so I figured, "Oh well, let me start a Road Challenge, whatever that is" and oops, there's your world tour! And yeah, I don't know if I like it as much as the RB2 career.

Still, small issues for a great game.

Bummer about the Squier not being released until 2011... I want a pro guitar but I think I'll wait and pick up the real one since the Mustang is so expensive anyway. I guess if I get RB3 any time soon it will be with the keyboard only.

Hey Guys,
I just got the keyboard which seems pretty sweet. But Im torn on how to start and progress. Playing the regular keys I can play alot of songs on hard pretty decently. However Pro keys I can play some of the easier songs on Med-Easy.
I've never played piano/keyboard before, so Im wondering if I should play everything on regular keys to get my fingers nimble before tackling Pro. Or should I just do the Training and then stick to Pro keys and slowly ramp up difficulty.
Any other suggestions?

So, I don't think I'm ever going to have the know how to play a full instrument. I can BARELY do some of the training lessons on medium. I are a sad panda. Still a great game though.

[quote name='strife18']Hey Guys,
I just got the keyboard which seems pretty sweet. But Im torn on how to start and progress. Playing the regular keys I can play alot of songs on hard pretty decently. However Pro keys I can play some of the easier songs on Med-Easy.
I've never played piano/keyboard before, so Im wondering if I should play everything on regular keys to get my fingers nimble before tackling Pro. Or should I just do the Training and then stick to Pro keys and slowly ramp up difficulty.
Any other suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Personally, I haven't played any normal keys. I just jumped straight into pro keys. I plan to just work my way up. I have noticed I have gotten better over the short amount of time playing it on easy that I have started some Medium. Medium is a little scary for me as the white/black chords throw me off for some reason so my streak throws off a lot. I think it will take me a while to move past Medium.

bread's done
Back