Rock Band series - Rock Band 4 out now

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I wish they'd add the Bicycle song already :([/QUOTE]
This along with Prince's of the Universe and Flash Gordan.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Your loss. Unless you have zero interest in music games, this is still one of the best games to come out this year, DLC value issues or no DLC value issues.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The people bitching in this thread are the ones who probably have an insane amount of downloadable content. I think I am up to 700 total songs now and while I might be pissed about the DLC it didn't stop me from buying a keyboard stand and a point card today.

I'm not mad per se, just probably not going to invest my cash in RB3 enhanced pack. Last time I check my song library when I go quickpick. I'm up to 1000 songs total. So, I feel Harmonix can live if I don't buy DLC once in awhile. :)

[quote name='pancake lover']old RBN songs wont be upgrade right?[/QUOTE]
Nope. Not unless they rerelease it, but you still got to buy it.
[quote name='eastx']Princes of the Universe would be beyond awesome.[/QUOTE]
The opening guitar riff is so fucking awesome. Even now when I hear it I get goosebumps.

If you're all so whiny about what Harmonix is doing, I'd love to see what you think of what other music games are doing.

[quote name='Nohbdy']If you're all so whiny about what Harmonix is doing, I'd love to see what you think of what other music games are doing.[/QUOTE]

Uhh...well, I think most people stopped buying those "other music games" you're referring to when they took things too far. Harmonix would be wise to not tread that same path. Not saying they will. Just saying, that's why those "other music games" aren't as popular anymore.

I'm just saying you should appreciate Harmonix's efforts. Yes, it does suck you have to re-buy songs but it can't be helped. I'd attribute the issues to the record labels.

Also, you're not forced to buy these things. You can buy the whole thing or on a per-song basis. Is choice such a bad thing?

Lemme offer an example of what "other games" are doing. Take Konami: in the DDR series, their latest release has LESS songs included on disc and they've neglected a whole difficulty level for years now.

[quote name='Nohbdy']but it can't be helped. I'd attribute the issues to the record labels.[/QUOTE]

What??? lol, do you have any clue what you're talking about? Harmonix already paid for the licensing rights to these songs. The record labels have nothing to do with what charts are given or how they're broken down. It's already been stated, even if a completely new file was required, they could have recognized that you had purchased the original, and offered a discounted upgrade price. They just chose not to. I'm not saying condemn Harmnonix or don't condemn them. But let's not make up shit and ignore what actually happened.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Also, you're not forced to buy these things. You can buy the whole thing or on a per-song basis. Is choice such a bad thing?[/QUOTE]

No, choice is not a bad thing. Which is why having a RB2 version, a RB3 version, a keys/harmonies upgrade, and a pro guitar/bass upgrade would have been the most consumer friendly option. It might have been a complete hassle for Harmonix, but it would have provided the most choices. And I know I'm not forced to buy it. I don't intend to. But as I've said, would Harmonix rather have $0 or $1?

[quote name='Nohbdy']Lemme offer an example of what "other games" are doing. Take Konami: in the DDR series, their latest release has LESS songs included on disc and they've neglected a whole difficulty level for years now.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and DDR isn't the hot thing like it was 5-10 years ago (at least not in the US anyway). You don't think some of the decisions they've made helped contribute to that? We could be saying similar things about RB in 5 years.

I'm sure people are tired of reading this argument, so let's just leave it at that. Just don't be an apologist and make up reasons why "Harmonix couldn't help it". It was a business decision. They chose not to do it. People will assess DLC accordingly. The end.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
No, choice is not a bad thing. Which is why having a RB2 version, a RB3 version, a keys/harmonies upgrade, and a pro guitar/bass upgrade would have been the most consumer friendly option. It might have been a complete hassle for Harmonix, but it would have provided the most choices. And I know I'm not forced to buy it. I don't intend to. But as I've said, would Harmonix rather have $0 or $1?

I'm sure people are tired of reading this argument, so let's just leave it at that. Just don't be an apologist and make up reasons why "Harmonix couldn't help it". It was a business decision. They chose not to do it. People will assess DLC accordingly. The end.[/QUOTE]

I don't think your choices are as easy as you think. Yes, we can say the Queen tracks should have had the keys/harmonies built in since they were released a month or so ago. But they didn't which was the case.

You really only have the option they have (i.e. RB2 and RB3 versions). This is why... if there was a "keys/harmonies upgrade" for say $1, then you could potentially play with other users owning the song without that upgrade... this is where the RB3 version came in. If you say well then make the RB3 version $1, then you could have new users getting the song; thus the licensing fee + harmonix funds come into play. This is where the $2 come into play. This is why I understand their position. They really don't have any option but to say either screw updating old tracks or continue the practice they are doing.

This does not make me an apologist. I decide to buy based on what I think; if it is worth it to me or not. I have not upgraded any of my tracks so far as the additional keys don't mean that much to me on those songs. The songs in the past that had keys that I was interested in, I passed on i.e. La Roux's Bulletproof, etc because I had a feeling something like this would occur.

I've found I haven't played this as much as I thought I would. It seems like I'm playing the same 10 songs on keys all the time; there's just not enough songs on keys, even with DLC.

That and I haven't been able to get together with friends to play has dampered my playing of this game. I think I was over-hyped for it.

[quote name='lordopus99']You really only have the option they have (i.e. RB2 and RB3 versions). This is why... if there was a "keys/harmonies upgrade" for say $1, then you could potentially play with other users owning the song without that upgrade... this is where the RB3 version came in. If you say well then make the RB3 version $1, then you could have new users getting the song; thus the licensing fee + harmonix funds come into play. This is where the $2 come into play. This is why I understand their position. They really don't have any option but to say either screw updating old tracks or continue the practice they are doing.[/QUOTE]

This is an interesting point, although we kinda already have that to an extent. You're going to have people online with the RB2 version of "Somebody to Love" trying to play with someone with the RB3 version of "Somebody to Love". And since those are handled as completely separate entries, I'm sure you can't play that song together.

I would say just replace the RB2 versions with RB3 versions, but that would screw over people still playing RB1/RB2, since new DLC doesn't work for those games. In all honesty, it is pretty confusing. The only way to do it would be to somehow acknowledge that you own the RB2 version of the song and just allow you to download the RB3 at a discounted price. That would be the "keys/harmonies upgrade" option. As I said, it would have been a nice gesture to those of us who have invested heavily in their DLC model, but it didn't work out that way. C'est la vie!

I drafted up a letter to Harmonix on behalf of CAG regarding this whole DLC situation. Feel free to comment and critique it. I was thinking about adding "We the Undersigned" with a list of any CAGs that want to say they support this message to the end of it. Let me know what you think. Anyway, here's what I have:

The members of CheapAssGamer can’t help but feel we’re being gouged. As loyal Rock Band supporters over the past three year, we've bought a LOT of DLC. However, your recent practices of "upgrading" your back catalog has left many of us rethinking our purchasing habits. Why would we repurchase songs we already own at full price in order to play keys or sing harmonies? We understand there's extra work involved including remixing the audio and adding new charts and we're certainly willing to pay a nominal fee in order to upgrade our songs, but full price? That just doesn't make sense. You say there's simply not a system in place to allow users to upgrade the tracks they already own so why not put one in place? Apple figured it out for upgrading iTunes tracks. You can already upgrade to pro guitar/bass through the Rock Band store so how difficult could it be to upgrade to keys/harmonies? Even if you had to download an entirely new file, it still seems plausible. Just create a discounted "upgrade" file in the XBL/PSN/Wii marketplace that requires the original track on your hard drive in order for it to be played. If that's not doable and there is absolutely now way to offer us upgraded DLC without charging us full price, then please don't waste our time with it because we won't be buying it. In addition to that, we won't be buying any of the old pre-Rock Band 3 DLC since have no way of knowing if/when it'll be upgraded. Could you imagine buying a few Queen tracks last week only to find out just a few days later that upgraded versions of those same tracks were coming out for the same price? Sorry, we're just not going to put up with it. Believe it or not, we want to give you our money. We want more DLC and we want to be able to play the keys on some of the classic Rock Band tracks, but this is CheapAssGamer and we're all about being savvy consumers. Give us an upgrade path for the updated DLC or don't expect our money. It's as simple as that.

[quote name='epb']I drafted up a letter to Harmonix on behalf of CAG regarding this whole DLC situation. Feel free to comment and critique it. I was thinking about adding "We the Undersigned" with a list of any CAGs that want to say they support this message to the end of it. Let me know what you think. Anyway, here's what I have:

The members of CheapAssGamer can’t help but feel we’re being gouged. As loyal Rock Band supporters over the past three year, we've bought a LOT of DLC. However, your recent practices of "upgrading" your back catalog has left many of us rethinking our purchasing habits. Why would we repurchase songs we already own at full price in order to play keys or sing harmonies? We understand there's extra work involved including remixing the audio and adding new charts and we're certainly willing to pay a nominal fee in order to upgrade our songs, but full price? That just doesn't make sense. You say there's simply not a system in place to allow users to upgrade the tracks they already own so why not put one in place? Apple figured it out for upgrading iTunes tracks. You can already upgrade to pro guitar/bass through the Rock Band store so how difficult could it be to upgrade to keys/harmonies? Even if you had to download an entirely new file, it still seems plausible. Just create a discounted "upgrade" file in the XBL/PSN/Wii marketplace that requires the original track on your hard drive in order for it to be played. If that's not doable and there is absolutely now way to offer us upgraded DLC without charging us full price, then please don't waste our time with it because we won't be buying it. In addition to that, we won't be buying any of the old pre-Rock Band 3 DLC since have no way of knowing if/when it'll be upgraded. Could you imagine buying a few Queen tracks last week only to find out just a few days later that upgraded versions of those same tracks were coming out for the same price? Sorry, we're just not going to put up with it. Believe it or not, we want to give you our money. We want more DLC and we want to be able to play the keys on some of the classic Rock Band tracks, but this is CheapAssGamer and we're all about being savvy consumers. Give us an upgrade path for the updated DLC or don't expect our money. It's as simple as that.[/QUOTE]
No offense (which means you're probably going to be offended) but who are you to contact Harmonix on behalf of CAG? You're not a moderator or staff. I don't think you should be using CAG's name as "clout" behind your opinion piece - at least without CheapyD's approval, IMHO.

Other than the lack of paragraphs, I suggest removing the bits about "this is CheapAssGamer" and "members of CheapAssGamer" and send it as your own. Or start one of those online petitions somewhere and submit it to them.

[quote name='2DMention']I've found I haven't played this as much as I thought I would. It seems like I'm playing the same 10 songs on keys all the time; there's just not enough songs on keys, even with DLC.

That and I haven't been able to get together with friends to play has dampered my playing of this game. I think I was over-hyped for it.[/QUOTE]

Two thoughts about keys after a few days:

1) Pro Keys is friggin hard. And this is coming from someone who can play keyboard. Definitely difficult to switch from sheet music to game-mode. I'll probably have to practice specific songs in practice mode slowed down (which is how you usually start to play a song on keyboard anyway, really slowly).

2) There are definitely not enough keyboard songs. I find myself switching to keyboard when my arms get tired from guitar as a break, but can't really sit there and hammer out a few hours of keyboard, there's just not a lot there. Also, it's annoying when you have people over and 4/5th of your library doesn't have keyboard.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']No offense (which means you're probably going to be offended) but who are you to contact Harmonix on behalf of CAG? You're not a moderator or staff. I don't think you should be using CAG's name as "clout" behind your opinion piece - at least without CheapyD's approval, IMHO.

Other than the lack of paragraphs, I suggest removing the bits about "this is CheapAssGamer" and "members of CheapAssGamer" and send it as your own. Or start one of those online petitions somewhere and submit it to them.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not a mod and if the Cheapy or the other mods say they don't want CAG's name attached to it, then it dies then and there. If they don't have a problem with it, I don't see any problem with putting up an open letter on behalf of the members of CAG. That would be where the whole "We the Undersigned" bit could come into place. And no, I don't have any contacts at HMX. This is an open letter which is why I'm trying to get CAG behind it. KaneRobot's already offered to put it in the OP which is a nice start. If you don't want to be a part of it, that's fine, but if other CAGs agree with the message, then let's put it out there.

[quote name='epb']No, I'm not a mod and if the Cheapy or the other mods say they don't want CAG's name attached to it, then it dies then and there. If they don't have a problem with it, I don't see any problem with putting up an open letter on behalf of the members of CAG. That would be where the whole "We the Undersigned" bit could come into place. And no, I don't have any contacts at HMX. This is an open letter which is why I'm trying to get CAG behind it. KaneRobot's already offered to put it in the OP which is a nice start. If you don't want to be a part of it, that's fine, but if other CAGs agree with the message, then let's put it out there.[/QUOTE]
Of course, put your message out there! And I'm not saying I entirely disagree with the sentiment. But what's wrong with just sending the letter as "we the undersigned?" Let your letter stand on its own merit and on the backs of the people who sign it, rather than try to make it look "bigger" by saying "this is CheapAssGamer."

That's all I'm going to say.

[quote name='epb']Apple figured it out for upgrading iTunes tracks. [/QUOTE]
Completely different scenario. Theirs is only one person affected by the update to the tracks on iTunes i.e. the listener. With Rock Band, you have 4 people affected when you play ONLINE; everyone you would play with would need that same remixed track.

We want more DLC and we want to be able to play the keys on some of the classic Rock Band tracks, but this is CheapAssGamer and we're all about being savvy consumers. Give us an upgrade path for the updated DLC or don't expect our money. It's as simple as that.

I agree with the removal of "CheapAssGamer" from this as not everyone here feels the same way as you do. I don't want them to redo old tracks. I want NEW songs i.e. more choices of songs. Based on what I mentioned in a previous post, I understand why and how the pricing got to where it is. The only option they have is to put it out at the price they are or to stop upgrading old tracks (which is what I hope/want).

[quote name='lordopus99']The only option they have is to put it out at the price they are or to stop upgrading old tracks (which is what I hope/want).[/QUOTE]

While I understand your perspective, let's not state things that just aren't true. If you read my response to your post, you would see how it could have been possible. Just throwing up your hands and saying they didn't have any options is a little sheepish in my opinion. This was the business decision that Harmonix felt was most prudent. But there's no way it was the "only option". People making this claim are just as bad as the ones saying "Harmonix is TRYING to screw over their customers". Let's try not go to either extreme.

I agree that they should focus on new material though. If we were getting a better supply of new piano based songs that weren't possible before RB3, this wouldn't even be a concern. Like I said before, the Billy Joel pack can't come soon enough. I'd also love to see more Elton John, Coldplay, Ben Folds, Stevie Wonder, Jerry Lee Lewis, Ray Charles, etc. This is the direction they need to go in if they want to showcase the purpose of RB3. We don't need RB2.5

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Of course, put your message out there! And I'm not saying I entirely disagree with the sentiment. But what's wrong with just sending the letter as "we the undersigned?" Let your letter stand on its own merit and on the backs of the people who sign it, rather than try to make it look "bigger" by saying "this is CheapAssGamer."

That's all I'm going to say.[/QUOTE]

The general consensus here on CAG after they announced the Queen pack was that we weren't happy with way Harmonix was treating these upgrades, at which point I offered to draft up a letter on our behalf. Let's say 80% of us here in the Rock Band thread agreed with this message. Wouldn't it make sense to use this forum to spread that message? If I'm in the minority here, then that's fine, the letter goes out the door, but if most of us are like minded in this situation, then this is going to do a hell of a better job at spreading our message an online petition would.

[quote name='lordopus99']Completely different scenario. Theirs is only one person affected by the update to the tracks on iTunes i.e. the listener. With Rock Band, you have 4 people affected when you play ONLINE; everyone you would play with would need that same remixed track.[/QUOTE]

The way they're doing it now, it's still the same problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "RB3 Version" tracks aren't compatible with the old ones.

[quote name='lordwow']Two thoughts about keys after a few days:

1) Pro Keys is friggin hard. And this is coming from someone who can play keyboard. Definitely difficult to switch from sheet music to game-mode. I'll probably have to practice specific songs in practice mode slowed down (which is how you usually start to play a song on keyboard anyway, really slowly).

2) There are definitely not enough keyboard songs. I find myself switching to keyboard when my arms get tired from guitar as a break, but can't really sit there and hammer out a few hours of keyboard, there's just not a lot there. Also, it's annoying when you have people over and 4/5th of your library doesn't have keyboard.[/QUOTE]

Not having enough key songs sucks, but the DLC they have been putting out has been great so I have high hopes for the keyboard. Can't wait for Amazang to get it back in stock.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Not having enough key songs sucks, but the DLC they have been putting out has been great so I have high hopes for the keyboard. Can't wait for Amazang to get it back in stock.[/QUOTE]

I thought 5X songs wouldn't be an issue, but it is after playing the game a few weeks. Missing 2X songs makes a big difference and the DLC doesn't really make up for it.

Alright, I bought RB3 on a whim today. I pop into this thread to see all the latest coolness and I find crazy talk? So without me having to read the last 20 or so pages can someone do be a favor and just sum up the problem? Pro Packs, Key upgrades, waaaaa?

I am not really a RB hardcore player, its just one of the few games I can play with my wife. So I havent really kept up with anything about it.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Alright, I bought RB3 on a whim today. I pop into this thread to see all the latest coolness and I find crazy talk? So without me having to read the last 20 or so pages can someone do be a favor and just sum up the problem? Pro Packs, Key upgrades, waaaaa?

I am not really a RB hardcore player, its just one of the few games I can play with my wife. So I havent really kept up with anything about it.[/QUOTE]

Big problem right now is they keep releasing "RB3" versions of songs NOW WITH KEYBOARD! for full price, and for example, Queen they just released a few months back. Most of us think they should offer an "upgrade" fee and charge you less if you bought the song the first time around.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Not having enough key songs sucks, but the DLC they have been putting out has been great so I have high hopes for the keyboard. Can't wait for Amazang to get it back in stock.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this assessment, I'm sure it'll be fine a year from now... when they've released a lot of great keyboard stuff... like Journey's Greatest Hits.

[quote name='epb']The way they're doing it now, it's still the same problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "RB3 Version" tracks aren't compatible with the old ones.[/QUOTE]

They are two seperate tracks. The RB3 version track will only let you play with people who have the RB3 version; thus you don't run into the problem since all parties would have to have the RB3 version to play keyboards/harmonies. With iTunes, again there is only one party involve the one listening via the headphones, speakers, etc since only one copy is involve.

[quote name='soodmeg']Alright, I bought RB3 on a whim today. I pop into this thread to see all the latest coolness and I find crazy talk? So without me having to read the last 20 or so pages can someone do be a favor and just sum up the problem? Pro Packs, Key upgrades, waaaaa?[/QUOTE]

To sum it all up:
- Harmonix re-released tracks by both Bon Jovi and Queen that included Keyboard/Harmonies for 160 pts (i.e. $2)
- People feel that Harmonix is ripping them off since they have already purchased these tracks prior (either via Disc or DLC)
- Pages of Bitching ensue

Don't let the "crying by other users" make your purchase less cool. Rock Band 3 is a lot of fun. Enjoy! :)

[quote name='bardockkun']All this call for keys makes me say "Where the fuck is RBN 2.0?"[/QUOTE]

We have to wait at least another month, and I bet they'll be a ton of bands that support keys, especially the new wave and synthpop stuff.

I wish they'd stick with subgenres like RBN music store did. That was well done. The current music store seems like a step backwards. And will they update the mainstream music store app?

[quote name='lordwow']I agree with this assessment, I'm sure it'll be fine a year from now... when they've released a lot of great keyboard stuff... like Journey's Greatest Hits.[/QUOTE]
do_not_want_cat.jpg

[quote name='lordwow']I agree with this assessment, I'm sure it'll be fine a year from now... when they've released a lot of great keyboard stuff... like Journey's Greatest Hits.[/QUOTE]

This is why I just picked up RB3 and not a bundle. I'm sure there will be good deals on the keyboard down the line so I can wait. And while I wait I'm slowly building my DLC list that includes keyboard songs. Its really win win for me.

[quote name='KingDox']Its really win win for me.[/QUOTE]

Totally. that's part of the problem. the loyal fans who have been supporting HMX through RB1 and RB2 are the ones getting boned for being so loyal. anyone new to the game, like yourself, gets a great deal.

just be careful with some other older DLC you might be considering buying. if it would be better with keys and harmonies (*cough* Journey *cough* Boston *cough*) there may be RB3 DLC versions of those songs in the pipeline.

If you don't have it yet, there's a pretty incredible deal on Beatles Rock Band bundle today...80 bucks on Amazon. This is for the premium set, not the cheapo one with the RB1 instruments.

ooo, that's a tempting drum replacement. Wonder how much I can get for the guitar and game if I sell just those?

Edit: screw it, ordered. Thanks KaneRobot! Anyone recommend good silencers? I'm in an apartment, and my neighbor complains about the GHWT drums, which iirc these are louder than.

So while I agree with you guys on the disturbing trend of paying full price for upgrades very close to each other (Bon Jovi & Queen), I'm curious to see what you would say to this:

What if next week's DLC was an updated Boston pack? Something that came out before RB2. Would everyone be as upset? Just curious as I know I will buy the updated Boston pack as soon as it comes out because those songs get played ALL the time.

[quote name='dealer']What if next week's DLC was an updated Boston pack? Something that came out before RB2. Would everyone be as upset? Just curious as I know I will buy the updated Boston pack as soon as it comes out because those songs get played ALL the time.[/QUOTE]

That wouldn't be quite as bad, but I wouldn't want it on its own. I get the reasoning for wanting to re-do songs because a lot of great songs that feature keys and harmonies were released before the thought of RB3 ever existed. Plus, it's probably cheaper for Harmonix to just re-do a song they already have the license for rather than pay for brand new songs.

But it would be great if they would release them along with a completely new pack. I know there were both some Bon Jovi and Queen songs that hadn't been released before, but they were still lumped in with the rehashes. So, you either had to buy the whole pack to get a small discount, or just pick and choose what you wanted. But if they were to release an "enhanced" Boston pack the same week as the Billy Joel pack, I'd be fine with it because the Boston pack would feel supplemental...and not like the "big DLC" for that week. Is that reasonable?

I personally would feel a bit more sympathetic if it came to buying rereleases of content that when original released there was absolutely no indication of keys and harmonies.

RB3 has been in the works for a long time and before that Beatles Rock Band. So harmonies especially bother the shit out of me. The lack of harmonies on songs where there aren't just harmonies but 2 people distinctly singing bother me the most. Like the Evenesence song Bring Me to Life and Alphabeat's Fascination. No harmonies on those songs blows my mind. Why not just wait until RB3 was released?!:bomb:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dealer']So while I agree with you guys on the disturbing trend of paying full price for upgrades very close to each other (Bon Jovi & Queen), I'm curious to see what you would say to this:

What if next week's DLC was an updated Boston pack? Something that came out before RB2. Would everyone be as upset? Just curious as I know I will buy the updated Boston pack as soon as it comes out because those songs get played ALL the time.[/QUOTE]

I'm upset that they didn't put a system in place to upgrade old DLC, at least for pro guitar and bass, which they have even admitted they could do if they wanted to :(

Has nothing to do with how long the DLC has been out, for me.

[quote name='bardockkun']So Best Buy has exclusivity rights to the Squire until March and preorders begin December 15.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw that...not preordering until I find out how long this "exclusive" period is. If they start selling it on February 1st or something I may have to go ahead and get it from there, but if it's just a two-week exclusive period or something similar, I'd much rather just wait and get it off Amazon to save a few bucks.

Come to think of it, I probably won't preorder at all. I get nervous about band-game hardware every time something new comes out...there always seems to be some problem (although the keyboard seems to be an exception for the most part). I'll let other people be the guinea pigs.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']That wouldn't be quite as bad, but I wouldn't want it on its own. I get the reasoning for wanting to re-do songs because a lot of great songs that feature keys and harmonies were released before the thought of RB3 ever existed. Plus, it's probably cheaper for Harmonix to just re-do a song they already have the license for rather than pay for brand new songs.

But it would be great if they would release them along with a completely new pack. I know there were both some Bon Jovi and Queen songs that hadn't been released before, but they were still lumped in with the rehashes. So, you either had to buy the whole pack to get a small discount, or just pick and choose what you wanted. But if they were to release an "enhanced" Boston pack the same week as the Billy Joel pack, I'd be fine with it because the Boston pack would feel supplemental...and not like the "big DLC" for that week. Is that reasonable?[/QUOTE]

Yea that makes sense. It's especially depressing to see: "Next week in Rock Band, shit you might already have!"

[quote name='KaneRobot']although the keyboard seems to be an exception for the most part[/QUOTE]

Thanks jinxy. ;)

Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg -- "It's no secret that not just Guitar Hero, but also Rock Band, and the music category in general, do not have the same mass appeal today that they did a few years ago. That said, I think that we would be foolish to not try and build on the strength of the Guitar Hero brand, because it's a pretty strong brand with great recognition and great likeability, and there’s a lot to work with there. I think the road to rejuvenating that category goes through innovation."

Innovation like adding quest mode. :lol:

[quote name='murph17']Totally. that's part of the problem. the loyal fans who have been supporting HMX through RB1 and RB2 are the ones getting boned for being so loyal. anyone new to the game, like yourself, gets a great deal.

just be careful with some other older DLC you might be considering buying. if it would be better with keys and harmonies (*cough* Journey *cough* Boston *cough*) there may be RB3 DLC versions of those songs in the pipeline.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm not new to RB, when I picked up RB3 I already had over 350 songs. While I like music games you have realize that prices drop fast these days. That's why I've held off picking up DJ Hero2 & RB:GD as well. The double dip does suck, but don't buy it and let the devs know it pisses you off. And there is always a chance it will go on sale down the line and make the purchase a bit more barable.

I just bought this last week. I dont know if anyone else feels this way but I am kinda disappointed in RB3 on disc set list. Some of this stuff is just bad party music, had bunch friends over and wound up playing most of the DLC I already down loaded for RB2.

Now I dont have all the songs unlocked but barely any of them felt good for band play. I had a feeling this was going to happen eventually, Music snobs love the obscure ass things. Although its not a big deal I do feel kinda taken advantage of, since all the main stream music people would have fun playing is DLC. The set list wasnt secret or anything but still. RB1 and RB2 had much better songs. Dont get me wrong I dont dislike many of the songs here and when I am playing solo it wont matter but as far a party game....meh.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Soodmeg']I just bought this last week. I dont know if anyone else feels this way but I am kinda disappointed in RB3 on disc set list. Some of this stuff is just bad party music, had bunch friends over and wound up playing most of the DLC I already down loaded for RB2.

Now I dont have all the songs unlocked but barely any of them felt good for band play. I had a feeling this was going to happen eventually, Music snobs love the obscure ass things. Although its not a big deal I do feel kinda taken advantage of that all the main stream music they people would have fun playing is DLC. The set list wasnt secret or anything but still. RB1 and RB2 had much better songs.[/QUOTE]

Different strokes, I know, but I really have to disagree. There are some stinkers, sure, but overall I really love the setlist. 25 or 6 to 4, Walk of Life, Cold as Ice, Radar Love, Roundabout, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, Bohemian Rhapsody, Free Bird, Power of Love, China Grove, Walking on the Sun... I could keep going but I'll spare you guys. Standouts like these plus a lot of other really solid songs make RB3's setlist my favorite, hands down, of all Harmonix's games.

bread's done
Back