RockBand 1 & 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 3/15/09 - Funk Pack + More!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='M1C13']do the drums really come out this wednesday? that seems strange.[/quote]

everything comes out but the bundle
instruments weds
game sunday

Anyone know of any midnight openings?

[quote name='morph3us']any bonus's for pre ordering the game?[/quote]

I got a t-shirt at Best Buy.

I believe Circuit City has t-shirts too. On another note.. anyone hear of any store selling Rock Band 2 early?

I recall some stores like blockbuster selling Rock Band 1, one week early.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Gamestop also offers the shirt.[/QUOTE]

Do you get the shirt when you pick up the game? I pre-ordered today, and didn't even know about this deal, and they didn't give me a shirt.

ordered on gamestop online, looks like everyone just gets a shirt. i dont mind though i am getting 100 more songs for just 60 bucks

Well I searched for a PS3 Rock Band or Rock Band 2 thread. All I want to know is when does the disc only version of Rock Band 2 come out for PS3? I know it's later than Xbox, but I just want an idea.

Been playing the game for awhile now. I really think if you wan the best experience you should get the new drums/guitar. The new bass guitar is fuckin awesome too.

[quote name='MarkMan']Been playing the game for awhile now. I really think if you wan the best experience you should get the new drums/guitar. The new bass guitar is fuckin awesome too.[/quote]

when and where did u get the new game?

[quote name='MarkMan']Been playing the game for awhile now. I really think if you wan the best experience you should get the new drums/guitar. The new bass guitar is fuckin awesome too.[/QUOTE]have you had any hands-on time with the GH:WT drums? I'm gonna be a first-time drumkit buyer once these games come out, so I'm eager to see how they compare. I'm kind of assuming I'll go for the GH:WT kit, but if the new RB drums offer a substantially better experience, I could live with having one less cymbal.

I have Rock Band 2 at work, I didn't buy it.

Busta: I haven't tried it yet but one of my co-workers has. He said it feels good, but he's too used to the RB/RB2 drums, so it might take some getting used to.

[quote name='MarkMan']Been playing the game for awhile now. I really think if you wan the best experience you should get the new drums/guitar. The new bass guitar is fuckin awesome too.[/QUOTE]

They have a bass guitar controller? How is it different?

The bass controller is made by Mad Catz but if I'm not mistaken is an official Rock Band product.
fenderbass.jpg

Besides having the look of a Fender Bass it has a split strum bar for quicker upstrumming. It lets you play more accurately like a bass by alternating picking with your index and middle finger.

Jeez, this game is supposed to be in stores this coming Sunday and it seems like there is very little hype for it. Even when I went to BB yesterday to put down a pre-order on it, people didn't even seem to know when the game was coming out.

Also we still do not have confirmation of the 20 additional songs that will be available as DLC at release, correct? Shouldn't that news be dropping soon? Possibly Friday when they usually announce DLC?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is rumored that there is a code inside the RB2 game case good towards the 20 free songs.

[quote name='CouRageouS']The bass controller is made by Mad Catz but if I'm not mistaken is an official Rock Band product.
fenderbass.jpg

Besides having the look of a Fender Bass it has a split strum bar for quicker upstrumming. It lets you play more accurately like a bass by alternating picking with your index and middle finger.[/QUOTE]

I only up strum, so that would rock. Unfortunately it looks wired. :(

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Jeez, this game is supposed to be in stores this coming Sunday and it seems like there is very little hype for it. Even when I went to BB yesterday to put down a pre-order on it, people didn't even seem to know when the game was coming out.

Also we still do not have confirmation of the 20 additional songs that will be available as DLC at release, correct? Shouldn't that new be dropping soon? Possibly Friday when they usually announce DLC?[/quote]

yeah... i wanted to pick it up at midnight, but no one is talking about it at all.. i don't even see any midnight stuff for it.

I think the multiple release dates are what's throwing everyone off. The hype train for it I figure won't come in until the bundles for 360 and PS3 are released.

[quote name='BustaUppa']have you had any hands-on time with the GH:WT drums? I'm gonna be a first-time drumkit buyer once these games come out, so I'm eager to see how they compare. I'm kind of assuming I'll go for the GH:WT kit, but if the new RB drums offer a substantially better experience, I could live with having one less cymbal.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MarkMan']I have Rock Band 2 at work, I didn't buy it.

Busta: I haven't tried it yet but one of my co-workers has. He said it feels good, but he's too used to the RB/RB2 drums, so it might take some getting used to.[/QUOTE]

I was going to go with the GHWT bundle and just get RB2 game only but I still don't see how the GHWT drums would work with Rock Band. They just have 3 pads and the 2 symbols, right? So you'd have to use a symbol for the fourth RB pad? That just seems awkward to me. Or will RB2 adjust for that?

Anyway, just to be safe, this is what I've decided to do, though it isn't the best in terms of price and plastic peripheral storage:

My starting point:

- I have GH III with guitar.
- I bought RB1 used at GS with the last 25% off coupon just a week ago or so.

What I'm going to do:

- Preordered GHWT bundle at Blockbuster a few weeks ago.
- Preordered RB2 (game only) at Blockbuster yesterday and will trade the RB1 game in later this week to pay for half of that.
- Plan to buy the RB2 drums at Gamestop when they come in this week.

So I'll end up with 2 GH guitars: the GH III and GHWT bundle ones. And I'll end up with 2 drum sets (both of the new ones). Ideally I'd only have one drum set but the 3 vs 4 pad thing has me a bit concerned. Plus my oldest son (and me as well) are chomping at the bit to try out some drums since all we have right now is the 1 guitar and a mic (left over from a Karaoke game I traded in). Thus we are suckers for the RB2 staggered release of the game and separate instruments vs the bundle (if anyone is wondering why they are doing it this way, well, here's the answer ;)). I'll end up paying $150 for the game + drums vs. the $190 for the whole bundle but we'll have that extra month to play it, so...

The biggest concern for me is actually the storage issue, though (and not the cost). I don't even know where I'll keep one drum set, let alone two! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
HMXSean confirmed that the 20 Free DLC will not be available at launch, but will be available "shortly" after...

Same company that said the Moving Pictures issue would be fixed "shortly" and 3 weeks later now still nothing... Dont expect the 20 Free DLC to come in September is my guess

[quote name='REL1203']HMXSean confirmed that the 20 Free DLC will not be available at launch, but will be available "shortly" after...

Same company that said the Moving Pictures issue would be fixed "shortly" and 3 weeks later now still nothing[/QUOTE]

They said they are working on it as quickly as possible, but it may be a few weeks before it is out. That falls under "3 weeks later."

If they get to, say, mid-October and it's still not out, then it's a legit gripe.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Is Blockbuster still doing that twentysomething trade-in for Rock Band? I might jump on that while I still can.[/QUOTE]

$32, actually (360 version. PS3 gets $26) - and it has been confirmed as still holding today, which means it ought to be good through Saturday. Since my son is still playing it a lot (and I might as well finish up the medium solo tour) that means we can hold on to it for a few more days which is nice.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Is Blockbuster still doing that twentysomething trade-in for Rock Band? I might jump on that while I still can.[/QUOTE]
Opps io beat me to saying the price. I just priced match blocksbusters TIV at gamecrazy yesterday cause I already had store credit there and I was the first to preorder the drums their so I get first dibs. Which is nice because it seems the date of the drums release is still floating between this week and next week.

I recently got a 360 but had the PS3 first so I bought it RB 1 on the PS3.I kind of want the 360 version....I have DLC on the PS3 so that's whats stopping me from switching over....

[quote name='DestroVega']yeah... i wanted to pick it up at midnight, but no one is talking about it at all.. i don't even see any midnight stuff for it.[/QUOTE]

I've seen signs advertising midnight launches at multiple Gamestops in my area.

So where did you guys preorder this? Any place that even has it for $5 or so below retail? I'll definitely pay full price if I have to to get it Sunday, may try a local shop that sometimes let's games go a couple days early.

[quote name='io']$32, actually (360 version. PS3 gets $26) - and it has been confirmed as still holding today, which means it ought to be good through Saturday. Since my son is still playing it a lot (and I might as well finish up the medium solo tour) that means we can hold on to it for a few more days which is nice.[/QUOTE]whoa sweet. I'll probably try this tomorrow then. Thanks for the heads-up! Does Blockbuster usually get new games (for sale, not renting) on release day? I've never bought a new product at Blockbuster so I'm not sure what to expect.

[quote name='BustaUppa']whoa sweet. I'll probably try this tomorrow then. Thanks for the heads-up! Does Blockbuster usually get new games (for sale, not renting) on release day? I've never bought a new product at Blockbuster so I'm not sure what to expect.[/QUOTE]

They have a small list of featured game preorders and Rock Band 2 is one of them. That means they will most likely have it on release day. They do get some other games in for sale as well but usually a few days late. It is too late to preorder now, though, and guarantee yourself a copy. However, they ought to have 1 or 2 extras on order and would probably save you one of those if you asked.

[quote name='Warlock TCK']Sorry if I'm a crazy noob about this but does Blockbuster do cash trade-ins?[/QUOTE]

No, and thank goodness otherwise their trade-in program would be abused tenfold what it is now and probably drive them out of business for good :lol:.

But if you are in to Rock Band 2 (or GHWT) (as you must be from reading this thread) then you should know they put an emphasis on carrying all that stuff so the very good trade-in values can come in very handy. I wouldn't even consider getting Rock Band 2 at "full retail" or the GHWT bundle if it weren't for my cheap BBV credit.

Some random thoughts after playing a bit of the new game.
Played 4 or 5 songs tonight over at River Gods (Any Way You Want It, Eye of The Tiger, Pinball Wizard,
the Bosstones track and maybe one other I'm forgetting). Game play felt identical to the 1st with maybe
a touch more speed to the Hard level (though that could have just been a byproduct of having the sound
cranked through the place's sound system which threw the sync off a tiny bit for me) and the strum
target bar across the bottom being a bit thinner. Love the new storefront song select style (where's the
album cover for "Kids In America"?), and some of the intro camera angles before the songs start (pointing
into a closeup camera and such with large fonts of the character's name floating beside them). The guitar
strummer felt similar to the original, rather than clicky like the GH guitars, but it was very accurate over
songs with long strings of same fast notes (Any Way/Eye). Never once did I give a thought that a missed
note was due to the guitar. Much better than the original strat. Thought I read somewhere that on the
whammy effects list echo had been replaced by distortion but that wasn't the case tonight. The frets are
now black, so if you're playing with the lights out and need to glance at the neck to check where you are,
forget differentiating them from one another. No fail mode certainly made a difference in a group setting.
Had a great time watching and playing.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Has it been said if old characters transfer to the new game? I was going to make a bunch of new ones.[/quote]

they dont

[quote name='Scorch']they dont[/QUOTE]
Is that the same for band names? Cause there will be a made rush for some of the more well known youtube bands and people will get pissed. I mean I don't care either way my band name is "the ikea" please don't steal it.

[quote name='M1C13']Is that the same for band names? Cause there will be a made rush for some of the more well known youtube bands and people will get pissed. I mean I don't care either way my band name is "the ikea" please don't steal it.[/quote]Nope.

Had to create a new one last night.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']:lol: nice to see devs have humor:

rock_band_2_kudos.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I know I was complaining yesterday, but that is a good example of why Harmonix is awesome.

so every band name used before is no longer able to be used in Rock Band 2?... that's going to cause quite a drought.

As I understand it, you can't take Enter Sandman, Paranoid, and Run to the Hills over to Rock Band 2, but I also read that you can't transfer over Monsoon? Is that true?

[quote name='lolwut?']As I understand it, you can't take Enter Sandman, Paranoid, and Run to the Hills over to Rock Band 2, but I also read that you can't transfer over Monsoon? Is that true?[/QUOTE]

Monsoon is not transferable for the European version.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Monsoon is not transferable for the European version.[/quote]

Whew, thanks for clarifying. Looks like I might be trading in my Rock Band disc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back