Rockstar Table Tennis - $29.99 OUTPOST.com

[quote name='zman73']I questioned that too... I knew it wasnt a rockstar game though[/QUOTE]

Actually, Bungie developed this one and Rockstar published....hence some of the confusion.

I was excited about this title until I read today that the game does not contain a career mode. I can't fathom why that was left out. Also, a create/customize character option is almost a requirement these days for solo sport games.

I'll say this: $29.99 is the MSRP it should be going for in the first place. (And any shipping above $3--mine would've been $6.73--kind of ruins the deal.) Has the look of a 'mid-year drought' cash-grab that couldn't stand up against any vaguely decent competition.

It might be fun, it might have excellent character models, but at the end of the day, it's a glorified, pimped-out minigame/Live Arcade download. Should've saved this for the Wii, Rockstar. Sorry, Howie, "no deal".

(But Rockstar and ping-pong? A big hit in frat houses, I'm sure.)

Why do I get the feeling there won't be a demo for this because that's all you need to play to get the full experience...

ghost.jpg

"Your insight serves you well..."

[quote name='jollydwarf']It might be fun, it might have excellent character models, but at the end of the day, it's a glorified, pimped-out minigame/Live Arcade download. [/QUOTE]

You could make that arguement about nearly every game though. Why bother buying something like PGR3 when its a glorified Pole Position?

You could make that arguement about nearly every game though. Why bother buying something like PGR3 when its a glorified Pole Position?

Please. I'm not even going to respond to that, except to say that I'm not going to respond to that.

BTW, gamerankigns.com has this game at 86% so far based on three reviews. Although no career mode, the reviews are all very complimentary. Looks like this will be a purchase for me (but apparently not from Outpost).

With all due respect, I would wait for at least ten reviews to be posted at gamerankings.com before I decided that the consensus score was worth paying attention to. I don't give much credence to Eurogamer, and I definitely don't trust IGN anymore.

Not saying that the good score won't hold up, just that three reviews is not a significant sampling. And...you always have to wonder about the sites/publications that get the early reviews in (rushed play-through...or something more insidious).

I see where you're coming from. Graphics/Pollycount do not really improve the inherent quality of a Table Tennis game. AI requirements arent that high. Physics, is probably well taken care of.

The extra power is not improving the quality of the game nearly as much as it would for other genres or other games. To an extent, extra computing power allows things to be done that havent been done before. Not for this game.

[quote name='jollydwarf']With all due respect, I would wait for at least ten reviews to be posted at gamerankings.com before I decided that the consensus score was worth paying attention to. I don't give much credence to Eurogamer, and I definitely don't trust IGN anymore.

Not saying that the good score won't hold up, just that three reviews is not a significant sampling. And...you always have to wonder about the sites/publications that get the early reviews in (rushed play-through...or something more insidious).[/quote]

IGN wasn't even that positive. Pass.

[quote name='WilliamG']Some of you are real snobs. I, for one, love table tennis. If this game turns out to be good, I'm getting it.[/QUOTE]

You're aware that this thing, after shipping, will be $36.50? that's barely 3 dollars off retail price. You can get more than that with one of Overstock's generic $X off $XX coupons.

We're not snobs. Far from it, we're cheapasses. ;)

[quote name='HardwareLust']In for one. This game is going to rock. You watch. Rockstar isn't in the business of making crappy games. They've put a lot of time and money into this, and the game play is going to pwn Top Spin 2.[/QUOTE]

7.8 from IGN. You were right. This is a stellar game and it's the pinnacle of existence. Where did we come from and where are we going? All will be answered by this since Rockstar developed it.

[quote name='Calico']7.8 is a very good score for a game with such a small feature set. Did anyone get a shipping confirmation?[/QUOTE]

I agree. Looks like a simple but fun game.

I was able to price match this at Bestbuy today. I brought in today's Fry's ad with the advertised $29.99 price. :D

I played about 7 matches of this today.. i lost them all (cause the kid i played against at gamecrazy had been playing all day) but it was some good fun. It's basically virtua tennis, but with ping-pong. It is fun though. i'd only get it if i knew i'd be playing lots of 2 player.

Bit on the deal and PMmed BB last night to Fry's 29.99. It is a bit of fun, but I wouldn't say it was worth any more than 29.99. Definately a good game to pick up and have some fun with though :).

[quote name='nathansu']Bit on the deal and PMmed BB last night to Fry's 29.99. It is a bit of fun, but I wouldn't say it was worth any more than 29.99. Definately a good game to pick up and have some fun with though :).[/QUOTE]

I just rented it and I'm pleased with the game. The gameplay is really enjoyable so far.

During game presentation touches like changing the lighting during intense rallies was a neat touch. Jesper's sweat drenched shirt was cool, it seemed to stick where he has sweat. I think his sweat pattern is different each time, but I'd need to look at it closer to know for sure.

I like the emotion that they express. They increased in levels of anger and happiness.

Little polished touches like those... I'm hoping that other games take from this. More features in this game would have made it better but I think I'm sold on getting this(maybe not at $39.99, but eventually it will be in my collection). I played lots of table tennis in my youth, so it may not be for everyone.

bread's done
Back