Rogers Plus game trades: A Friendly Reminder

andsoitgoes

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
First, if the game is not in MINT condition (Read: virtually no scratches) you will have an amount deducted.

If you don't have the manual, expect another decuction.

I brough it Argonauts, Bioshock (No manual) and that Jillian whatitsname Wii game for L4D2 and I had to pay another $7 out of pocket because the games weren't pristine.

I find that to be a bunch of BS and it really eats away at the savings for trading in games.

Sure I still saved a bunch (cost me about $52 with the cost of the games and the extra amount due to the game condition) on the full out game purchase, but it's far less of a savings than it should be. Hell, even EB isn't THAT picky.

Anyway, just a heads up.

IF possible, always get the PS3 versions of the games to flip. The joy of Blu-Ray scratch protection. I haven't gotten a single scratched PS3 game yet.

Yeah, Rogers is pretty Brutal. I traded in Modern Warfare 1 and Wolverine for Assassins Creed 2. (Wolverine was near mint, but had a Rogers store number on it). They charged me 3.60 because Wolverine was (near mint). Yeah, so make sure your games are PERFECT before you go to Rogers.

Blockbuster on the other hand is really lax, they will take games with no manual no problem.

It really depends on the staff member who's working too. Some employees simply don't care if they're slightly scratched, but so long as they'll play they'll give you it for the mint trade value.

I see nothing wrong with this. It helps to know that if I decide to buy a used copy it will be in pristine condition. I bought Little King's Story and Madworld for $15 and $9 respectively, and they were like brand new. Alot better than the used games I've ever picked up at EB.

The one I went to, the guy didn't even bother opening the cases to see if there was even a game inside. He just scanned the bar codes and gave me my game.

Depends on the employee, and if you feel like arguing. They can adjust price on condition all they want on regular trade ins, but when their ads say trade 2/3 get it free, only needs to work and have case and manual and no mention of paying a little more based on visual inspection, well then they can adjust the games to a penny each for all I care, but the bottom line the game is still supposed to be free.

It actually says on the paperwork for the promotion that it depends on the condition and they'll be inspected manually.

The reps there, if they're following protocol, would have to lie about disc condition and since they let me do the same trade for the same game 3 different times, it saves me from having to go to 5 different stores, so I'll deal with the extra couple of dollars.

Okay, a question I'm trying to get answered, maybe someone who works for rogers can help.

I went down and got a few games for Black Friday to trade in.

One of them, Midnight Club: LA edition, is on the list. However the edition I have is ever so slightly different. It's the "Complete Edition".

Now, the thing is that even though I only paid $10, I really am nervous about ripping it open just to do the trade. I know GTA is fine... but this one, I'm unsure.

That said, I wonder what they would say if I was to bring it in to them unopened? Do you think they'd have an issue checking the price?

I don't want to rock the boat at my local rogers, they're good people there.

Thanks in advance.

The truth is, that's always going to be the sole discretion of whoever is helping you. Calling them and asking on their individual store policy would be a good idea.

That's what I worry about and is why I wanted to know if there is a specific policy.

My argument is simple, unless there is a policy that says it's not okay to accept the games, they should have no right to deny me.

At some Rogers locations, their used games are in such nice condition, I was tempted to keep them for myself instead of re-trading them. At some others, the condition was so bad, I wouldn't even bother thinking about it.

I think it's better for the community overall. Less hording and more happy gamers.

Last edited by a moderator:
A heads up for anyone doing this.

If you get a gift receipt for the game you are trading in for, please note that when you get it back, you are only going to get back the straight value of the trade without tax, on a GC.

So for me, I returned L4D2 and got $69.99 on a gift card. If I want to buy something else, I'm going to have to suck it up and pay the tax.

But still $139.99 for the cost of $60 isn't too shabby, even if I have to drop another $20 in tax for 2 games.

I've heard of the employees bitching about even small scratches. When this happens and your game really isn't that bad. Ask if all their games that they sell are of that quality and even ask to see one of their horrid used games. And if they are still not embarrassed enough to just give you full price, make a scene...it usually works.

[quote name='andsoitgoes']A heads up for anyone doing this.

If you get a gift receipt for the game you are trading in for, please note that when you get it back, you are only going to get back the straight value of the trade without tax, on a GC.

So for me, I returned L4D2 and got $69.99 on a gift card. If I want to buy something else, I'm going to have to suck it up and pay the tax.

But still $139.99 for the cost of $60 isn't too shabby, even if I have to drop another $20 in tax for 2 games.[/QUOTE]

So you did this on a Trade 3 title with gift receipt? I might have to do this to pick up The Saboteur next week.

bread's done
Back