Rogers Plus Massive Clearance Sale

Lone_Prodigy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
50-75% off new games and such.

PS3 $90
God of War III $7.50 new
MOH for xbox is $10 used, Madden 11 is $10 used for xbox and ps3, lost planet is $10 used for xbox only
Wii remote with motion+ $12.50
Mario games 50% off
etc.

YMMV, go now because RFD is all over it like white on rice.

[quote name='Pavel6969']Oromocto has a lot of copies of UFC 2010 and MAdden 11 for both consoles left. $10 used. No systems, the large female clerk in Oromocto was bragging about how she got a PS3 and 360 for $160 taxes in, and has spent her entire paycheck on games.

Fredericton doesn't have much either, lots of UFC's still. Couple NSMB's left as well.[/QUOTE]

Did Oromocto have any copies of FF13 left for the PS3? That and Madden were the only games I wanted that weren't in stock on prospect street. If they did then im gonna sneak out of work and take a drive to Oromocto.

[quote name='Zoodux']Did Oromocto have any copies of FF13 left for the PS3? That and Madden were the only games I wanted that weren't in stock on prospect street. If they did then im gonna sneak out of work and take a drive to Oromocto.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see any, but I admittedly wasn't looking for it. I plan on heading there again in a couple of hours to pick up another Madden, I will report back.

[quote name='Pavel6969']I didn't see any, but I admittedly wasn't looking for it. I plan on heading there again in a couple of hours to pick up another Madden, I will report back.[/QUOTE]

Would it be possible for you to grab an extra 2 copies of Madden 11 for me? I need one for myself and one for my cousin for Christmas. I can meet you somewhere in Fredericton tonight to get them. If they are only like 10 bucks a copy I will pay you 15 each for your troubles.

If anyone in Calgary was looking for FFXIII, McKnight station had a few left. Didn't see them in any of the other north locations I hit.

Wow. How on earth can they possibly sell those points cards at a 75% discount?! I can't help but wonder who's getting fired over that little mis-type. As I believe I've seen people point out in this forum before, that's like giving a discount on cash. I just don't know how you run a business like that. It makes no sense to me at all. Most of what they cleared out (hardware/accessories) would have gone just as quickly at 25%-50% off. I can't help but be left scratching my head.

Of course this sale is the textbook case for all that is wrong with this hobby. How many people bought points cards with then intention of actually using them? I'd bet not many. As sick as it makes me to think of someone spending $5 less than retail price for a used game at EB/Gamestop (ever wonder how EB stays in business? there's your answer), this is an entirely different level. This hobby is so full of thieves, pariahs and outright assholes that it's hard not to feel like disassociating yourself with it on days like today.

And don't get me started on the companies themselves; releasing games at $60-$70 only to reduce them to $40 within two months and $20 within 6-8 months.

As much as it pains me to say it, I almost look forward to the day when used game sales are either outlawed or obsolete. It would be nice to go back to the days when games weren't just a commodity to be traded.

(Apologies in advance for going slightly OT but it seems like the sale has mostly run its course now anyhow)

[quote name='gleo']Wow. How on earth can they possibly sell those points cards at a 75% discount?! I can't help but wonder who's getting fired over that little mis-type. As I believe I've seen people point out in this forum before, that's like giving a discount on cash. I just don't know how you run a business like that. It makes no sense to me at all. Most of what they cleared out (hardware/accessories) would have gone just as quickly at 25%-50% off. I can't help but be left scratching my head.

Of course this sale is the textbook case for all that is wrong with this hobby. How many people bought points cards with then intention of actually using them? I'd bet not many. As sick as it makes me to think of someone spending $5 less than retail price for a used game at EB/Gamestop (ever wonder how EB stays in business? there's your answer), this is an entirely different level. This hobby is so full of thieves, pariahs and outright assholes that it's hard not to feel like disassociating yourself with it on days like today.

And don't get me started on the companies themselves; releasing games at $60-$70 only to reduce them to $40 within two months and $20 within 6-8 months.

As much as it pains me to say it, I almost look forward to the day when used game sales are either outlawed or obsolete. It would be nice to go back to the days when games weren't just a commodity to be traded.

(Apologies in advance for going slightly OT but it seems like the sale has mostly run its course now anyhow)[/QUOTE]

It isn't so much of a sale as it is a liquidation ... it sounds like Rogers is getting out of selling those items, so they are just dumping them. I don't think anybody is going to get fired over this sale. Something like this comes along once in a blue moon, and of course I live in a spot that has no Rogers video (they closed it two years ago, dagnabit!).

As for what you mentioned about the point cards, if I found them for that price, I would buy them *with* the intention of using them. I suspect most people would ... decent DLC and arcade games hardly ever go on sale.

I just wish I could have bought some of the stuff at these prices ... it would have made my Christmas shopping quicker AND cheaper!

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Screwing over customers? I'd blame them for that.[/QUOTE]

They paid for their stuff, so they are customers too. It's a clearance. That means Rogers doesn't care who buys the stuff as long as it is sold and gone.

@gleo

Rogers has been piss-poor when it comes to selling video games and accessories. Prices remain high when other places have lowered under-performing software, they have plenty of rental copies but none to buy or one copy and none to buy and they can't seem to have a consistent system for everybody to follow. Some stores have more stock than others.

They should just stick to renting the games. They are terrible at the selling bit. Everybody else seems to do it right.

Reading over the RFD thread, it sounds like the Ottawa locations are pretty much done, and this dick on Kijiji seems to back that up.. I was hoping for some new Xbox controllers, but oh well.

Rogers' foray into the used game business has been nothing but a disaster. Their "most wanted" TIV lists were absurd at times (I remember getting $15 for Wii Fit Plus) and their "Trade-2" promotions were abused to heck and back (Bourne Conspiracy anyone?). Pricing was terrible and stock was inconsistent at best. I highly doubt they made any money.

Closest RogersPlus for me is in McKnight plaza over here in Calgary ... anybody been there to check it out?

edit: used the search and found what I was looking for .. I'll drop by anyway to see

[quote name='onemorechanc']
As for what you mentioned about the point cards, if I found them for that price, I would buy them *with* the intention of using them. I suspect most people would ... decent DLC and arcade games hardly ever go on sale. [/QUOTE]

Looking at posts on both RFD and here there are reports of people spending well over $1000 and clearing out almost all of the inventory from a single store. You think those people are taking that stuff for personal use?? You damn well better believe people like that (and the Ottawa guy linked above) only see dollar signs.

I don't know. Life isn't fair, I get that, but this feels like a kick in the balls.

So... me and my friends went to RP on Grant (Winnipeg) and they only had a few games with the 75% off sticker, Is it all used games or only the yellow sticker games?

[quote name='gleo']Looking at posts on both RFD and here there are reports of people spending well over $1000 and clearing out almost all of the inventory from a single store. You think those people are taking that stuff for personal use?? You damn well better believe people like that (and the Ottawa guy linked above) only see dollar signs.

I don't know. Life isn't fair, I get that, but this feels like a kick in the balls.[/QUOTE]

I hear you.

These people are fully within their rights to buy and resell for profit, but it's annoying that their greed and selfishness affects my gaming. The biggest "kick" is just the fact that they apparently can spend whatever time and money is necessary to do this hoarding while other people (like me) have to be at work.

Oh well. It's just entertainment. Not like they are denying us something important... and other deals will always come along.

I am disappointed in you guys. You're not blood thirsty enough to get this thread up to 98 pages like the vultures at RFD ;)

There were no games on sale that I wanted, but I did want to grab some MS Points cards for gifts. Having those vultures swoop in and grab them all while I had to be at work annoys me to no end. Like the rest of you, I would love to save $30 on Points Cards.

I can't blame Rogers for letting these peddling hoarders buy everything. It was a clearance, after all. They just wanted stuff sold, regardless of who bought it. It's just annoying how greedy some people can be when it comes to these deals.

I'm in Vancouver until Tuesday night. Is it worth it for me to go out hunting, or are all the stores here picked over.

Late to the show, the Rogers at Highway 6 in Vernon, BC, is pretty much picked clean. No gold cards or points cards in store though there is a selection of new games (and used). Do your research here before going to a store so you don't have to bring a list up to the counter.

I saw new Tekken 6 for 360 (less than $7) and Metroid Other M for $30. There's also one or two used FFXIII for 360 in stock.

The other Rogers told me they had no stock, though I didn't go to their store.

[quote name='Frankfurt1985']On another note, can anyone confirm or deny the status of Vanquish? I really want the game, but not so much for $60. I am reading conflicting reports here and on RFD. Some are saying they got it for 50% off, while others are saying it is not a part of the sale. I could not find it in the lists that are floating around, so I assume that it is not actually on sale and people are trolling, but my hope remains high.[/QUOTE]
Vanquish is not on the list I found on RFD (sorry deleted it already).

In all honesty, the 50% list is nothing to go running around for. It's not much different than last week's amazon.com deal (after shipping) and if there is a buy 2 get 1 free promo this year, it'd be similar. The only one I missed out was Galaxy 2, which I saw in store, but it wasn't marked on sale...oh well.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Screwing over customers? I'd blame them for that.[/QUOTE]

honestly, I feel you on that, but how can you really blame them, I'm pretty sure if you worked there, underpaid, over worked and didn't get any sort of discount or what not for working there, you would jump at the chance to grab an xbox or ps3 for dirt cheap, so we can't really blame them, I've always had good customer service there, and the two csr's were friendly and even offered up some games they had put aside to buy for themselves...

all in all, it was a good deal if you happened to stumble upon somthing you liked, otherwise people were just buying stuff to resell or trade in, both are cheesy in my opinion when there are people who really wanna play some of these games and not spend 70+ dollars on them. However, again, you can't really blame people when the prices are that low.

[quote name='nb85']honestly, I feel you on that, but how can you really blame them, I'm pretty sure if you worked there, underpaid, over worked and didn't get any sort of discount or what not for working there, you would jump at the chance to grab an xbox or ps3 for dirt cheap, so we can't really blame them, I've always had good customer service there, and the two csr's were friendly and even offered up some games they had put aside to buy for themselves...
[/QUOTE]

I don't blame them, you forgot they also put up with the craziest of the RFD people. For that alone they deserve first crack at any deals.

The Woodroffe Road Rogers still has some decent game deals left, though nothing I could afford at this time. They had Metroid: The Other M, Super Mario Galaxy 2, UFC 2010, White Knight Chronicles and a pair of used FXIII for the PS3.

Good thing I don't own a 360. I would have been pissed to miss out on this sale.

BTW, the College Square Loblaws is selling Wii Play for $24.99. Great price, still, for an extra Wii Remote.

Remember, guys, the RFDers still have to sell their wares and I'm sure they will have to compete with each other over that.

[quote name='lustyhitter']The Woodroffe Road Rogers still has some decent game deals left, though nothing I could afford at this time. They had Metroid: The Other M, Super Mario Galaxy 2, UFC 2010, White Knight Chronicles and a pair of used FXIII for the PS3.

Good thing I don't own a 360. I would have been pissed to miss out on this sale.

BTW, the College Square Loblaws is selling Wii Play for $24.99. Great price, still, for an extra Wii Remote.

Remember, guys, the RFDers still have to sell their wares and I'm sure they will have to compete with each other over that.[/QUOTE]

I agree, don't know where they get all their money from, but they are going to have those money stuck on their ware for quite a while if they're selling it at store value like the guy on kiji, and if they can't get rid of their stuff after christmas, I'll say it's going to be hard to sell anything after that with boxing day and everyone else being broke from christmas shopping and taxes dues coming up.

Managed to get Mario party DS for 7.50, Spiderman: Shattered Dimension Wii for 25 and Bayonetta 360 for 12.50. There was still a lot of stuff but I left satisfied.

So did anyone here manage to grab more Microsoft Points cards than they need and are looking to sell a couple of them? I need a couple as gifts, and want to avoid paying retail for them.

i just got back i got some games i saw they had a ton i got
Dragon Age Origins Awakening
3D Dot Game Heroes
L.A.I.R.
Final Fantasy XIII
and Darksiders for a total of $80 it will be a great xmas

Winnipeg, Marion strip mall, just got back from buying Lost Planet 2 $20, Red Dead Redemption $30, Army of Two 40th Day for $17.50 and Mass Effect 2 $17.50. While I was there I was told that customers knew about the sale the day of it starting before the employees did, and that they had sold their last Live points cards that day, and their last 360 for $62. I actually didn't look at anything outside of 360 titles, but it looks like the juicy ones remaining are basically what I got. Alan Wake was $30, Transformers WfC was half off (can't remember whether it was 65 or 60) the original price...

Hey I just wanted to throw this out there. I bought 4 1400 point cards for XBL. When I went to enter them I got an error saying to try again later. Eventually I called XBL support to see whatsup which is when i found out that the cards were not activated properly. I went back to rogers with my receipt to get the clerk to activate the cards but she told me they had to issue a recall on the point cards because all of them were unable to be activated at the clearance price. She refunded me my money and signed me up for a rogers plus account and gave me half a dozen or so free rentals.

Anyone else encounter anything like this? Has anyone gotten some XBL point cards at the clearance price and successfully redeemed them on XBL?

Also I wanted to add that the Fredericton location started taking their new games down last night while i was there. The accessory wall was already taken down. I guess that marks the end of the clearance sale in Fredericton. Does anyone know what they do with all their left over games? I wonder if they send them back to some warehouse waiting for rogers to open another plus store so they can get put out for rental or if they sit in a box in the back of the store collecting dust.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zoodux']Hey I just wanted to throw this out there. I bought 4 1400 point cards for XBL. When I went to enter them I got an error saying to try again later. Eventually I called XBL support to see whatsup which is when i found out that the cards were not activated properly. I went back to rogers with my receipt to get the clerk to activate the cards but she told me they had to issue a recall on the point cards because all of them were unable to be activated at the clearance price. She refunded me my money and signed me up for a rogers plus account and gave me half a dozen or so free rentals.

Anyone else encounter anything like this? Has anyone gotten some XBL point cards at the clearance price and successfully redeemed them on XBL?
[/QUOTE]

I just tried to add one of the 1400 points cards I got for $5, it worked fine.
Was yours the kind wraped in a plastic case? or just the card by itself?

[quote name='Zoodux']It was just the card by itself with a scratch off on the back. Is that what yours was like?[/QUOTE]

That would explain the problem... PSN cards are the same. You have to activate them at the register and put the full amount on the card or they don't work properly... That's why you never see PSN cards on sale. I have seen more and more of the scratch cards at retail... Looks like we will be SOL for deals on points cards in the near future.

[quote name='Rastafari']That would explain the problem... PSN cards are the same. You have to activate them at the register and put the full amount on the card or they don't work properly... That's why you never see PSN cards on sale. I have seen more and more of the scratch cards at retail... Looks like we will be SOL for deals on points cards in the near future.[/QUOTE]

That is unfortunate for XBL users. I dont actually own a 360 so in the end it doesnt bother me. The cards I had purchased were a Christmas gift for my brother in law. I guess christmas is gonna have to be canceled this year lol.

[quote name='Rastafari']That would explain the problem... PSN cards are the same. You have to activate them at the register and put the full amount on the card or they don't work properly... That's why you never see PSN cards on sale. I have seen more and more of the scratch cards at retail... Looks like we will be SOL for deals on points cards in the near future.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully Microsoft is giving stores a choice on what kind to carry, if not it is a very move on Microsofts part.
Sales usaully aren't this good, usually it's 10% off, but that's usually when people stock up, and I suspect a lot people wouldn't buy as much otherwise.
I know I wouldn't.

[quote name='Winnopeg']Reading over the RFD thread, it sounds like the Ottawa locations are pretty much done, and this dick on Kijiji seems to back that up.. I was hoping for some new Xbox controllers, but oh well.[/QUOTE]

I am sadface at this comment. Since this is p much why I hate living in Ottawa -_-. Hoarding is on par w/Toronto. FML

I drove out to check the Baseline store in Sherwood Park, and they have a pretty decent selection in the 50% off games, but the 75% off were pretty lacking. I didn't end up getting anything there. I did pick up FF13 on PS3 at Capilano in Edmonton, and was stoked about that. Decent selection at Capilano. Several copies of the new Metroid, Red Dead, and a few other. Not a huge huge selection, but decent.

[quote name='Zoodux']Hey I just wanted to throw this out there. I bought 4 1400 point cards for XBL. When I went to enter them I got an error saying to try again later. Eventually I called XBL support to see whatsup which is when i found out that the cards were not activated properly. I went back to rogers with my receipt to get the clerk to activate the cards but she told me they had to issue a recall on the point cards because all of them were unable to be activated at the clearance price.[/QUOTE]

Is there any issue with same type of card for the 12 months. Today I saw few xbl points cards and the 12 months cards at the Jasper Ave. location in Edmonton.

In case anyone's wondering, the Ogilvie location is Ottawa has still got some decent stock as of about an hour ago. RDR for PS3 and 360, NSMB Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, Final Fantasy 13 for 360, Alpha Protocol, Nier, Dragon Age: Origins, other I can't remember. Nothing mind blowing, the best deals would probably be the Nintendo stuff and RDR if you asked me, but there's still stuff out there. Accessories were admittedly cleaned out.

[quote name='telepathy']I am sadface at this comment. Since this is p much why I hate living in Ottawa -_-. Hoarding is on par w/Toronto. FML[/QUOTE]

I felt like there was the only a few of us from Ottawa when I started posting here, now it feels like every other person is, lol.

And yeah I know, we're not the real problem, RFD is.

I saw these at Capilano Rogers in Edmonton:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 64.99; 50% off
Dragon Age Origins expansion PS3: 44.99; 75% off
Metroid M (can't remember the price)
Red Dead Redemption PS3

Can't remember the rest but though the Edmonton boys would appreciate the heads up.

I was finally near a Rogers Video on the weekend (Oromocto) ... five days after the sale started. Pretty slim pickings, but was able to get a couple of deals:

- Section 8 ($5)
- Lost Planet 2 ($7.50)
- play and charge kit for the 360 ($5)

The CSR said consoles were selling for $50, and they didn't last 30 minutes ... would have been nice, but at least I found a few items for Christmas gifts.

Edit -- I also saw a copy of Tiger Woods 11 for 50% off, but the sticker had a list price of $74.99!?! Has anybody else ever seen a sports game selling for that much? Seems a bit high to me (still wouldn't touch it at 50% off either).

[quote name='onemorechanc']
Edit -- I also saw a copy of Tiger Woods 11 for 50% off, but the sticker had a list price of $74.99!?! Has anybody else ever seen a sports game selling for that much? Seems a bit high to me (still wouldn't touch it at 50% off either).[/QUOTE]

They sell a lot of 69.99 games for 74.99.. Skate 3 is another example. Even GameStop isn't dumb enough to put a $5 premium on 69.99 games.. no wonder they're getting out of the new game business.

[quote name='TripleQ']They sell a lot of 69.99 games for 74.99.. Skate 3 is another example. Even GameStop isn't dumb enough to put a $5 premium on 69.99 games.. no wonder they're getting out of the new game business.[/QUOTE]

Well, that would explain it. I don't have a Rogers in my area, so don't get to see their prices very often. I wonder if they did that in case somebody rents it and breaks/loses it ... then they can charge the "replacement value" of an extra $5.

I've been trying to sell my copy of DJ Hero 2 and the free turntable I got from Future Shop for $60 or for a new copy of Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit that's on sale this week on Ottawa Kijiji and nobody wants it at that price. I think that's a great lowball price. I wonder if the hoarders in this city think they can sell their stuff on the free sites here. I know they are too frugal to pay for eBay. I had it much easier last year; this year it takes days to unload stuff.

Yeah, I notice they raise their prices at Rogers by $5. They actually think we're that stupid!

[quote name='broccoli']DJ Hero 2 has sold really bad I read... it's going to be discounted soon before/after Xmas I bet.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's true. However, I still think $60 is a fair price for it now. I'll lower it if necessary.

[quote name='Zoodux']It was just the card by itself with a scratch off on the back. Is that what yours was like?[/QUOTE]

Wow...

Your store must be staffed by some of the dumbest people in the entire country.

[quote name='bumblebee064']Hey Everybody,

Just started using CAG, wanted to let you guys know I just got back from the RP on Ogilvie in Ottawa, and the selection remains good. I didn't see any of the newest stuff on sale (e.g. MOH) but they still had FF13 ($12 360, $18 PS3), Singularity, Bayonetta, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead (both systems, $30), Dragon Age, and Blur off the top of my head. Also some good Wii stuff ($30 NSMB and SMG2)[/QUOTE]

That store was ground zero for the whole sale. Store manager from there posted it on RFD.

[quote name='magiic']That store was ground zero for the whole sale. Store manager from there posted it on RFD.[/QUOTE]

Interesting tidbit, thanks. When I was there the staff seemed totally bewildered. Apparently an employee there bought up every console they were selling, they all seemed pretty certain he'd be fired.

bread's done
Back