Rome (HBO Series) is........

Poor2More

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
or should I say "was" awesome. I watched Season 1 & 2 within a week. The characters are very strong. I really enjoyed how you tend to hate or dislike Marc Anthony at the start but by the end, you really start to care and have emotions for him.

My real reason for making this topic, why the hell was it canceled? sure it cost 100 million to make series (Season 1 and 2). I read the producers originally intended it to be 5 seasons long but HBO pulled the plug. Why would HBO pull the plug on a highly winning series, award and rating wise, but yet kept that Soprano show on for tons of seasons and that show is garbage (only saw 2 episodes, so I can make a valid decision out of the 6 seasons the series sucks)

Im really in the Rome/medieval type show, any other suggestions?

is The Tudors any good?

Game of Thrones?

Haven't seen it yet but I've heard good stuff.

I think you're way off about the Sopranos though, I really enjoyed that series.

[quote name='Halo05']Game of Thrones?

Haven't seen it yet but I've heard good stuff.

I think you're way off about the Sopranos though, I really enjoyed that series.[/QUOTE]

Game of Thrones is fantastic, already caught up on series, just waiting for season 3 next year

[quote name='Poor2More']or should I say "was" awesome. I watched Season 1 & 2 within a week. The characters are very strong. I really enjoyed how you tend to hate or dislike Marc Anthony at the start but by the end, you really start to care and have emotions for him.

My real reason for making this topic, why the hell was it canceled? sure it cost 100 million to make series (Season 1 and 2). I read the producers originally intended it to be 5 seasons long but HBO pulled the plug. Why would HBO pull the plug on a highly winning series, award and rating wise, but yet kept that Soprano show on for tons of seasons and that show is garbage (only saw 2 episodes, so I can make a valid decision out of the 6 seasons the series sucks)

Im really in the Rome/medieval type show, any other suggestions?

is The Tudors any good?[/QUOTE]

Spartacus on Starz is a good choice (RIP Andy Whitfield)

Lots of sausage though

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Watch The Wire.

The Tudors is cool though. I'm still waiting for a Blu set to hit stateside.[/QUOTE]

The wire is my favorite series ever, can't be matched. I see Netflix stream has The Tudors entire series up for streaming.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Watch The Wire.

The Tudors is cool though. I'm still waiting for a Blu set to hit stateside.[/QUOTE]

One of these isn't like the other... haha...

but Yeah the Wire is awesome.... stick it out for the first three or so episodes while they do character development and I can promise you you'll get hooked...

This is my favorite compilation from the show.. still makes me laugh my ass off:

http://youtu.be/70eU840lc38

^ gotta love clay Davis

dude I loved Rome. One of my favorite shows.
I looked up this on wikipedia on the cancelation.

HBO Chairman Chris Albrecht announced in a July 2006 news conference that season two of Rome would be its last, citing the fact that the series (called "notoriously expensive" by Broadcasting & Cable) had been developed under a two-year contract with the BBC that would have been difficult for the BBC to extend due to the series' cost.

Guess it was just too damn expensive.

Of the storyline, co-creator Heller said:
“ I discovered halfway through writing the second season the show was going to end. The second was going to end with the death of Brutus. Third and fourth season would be set in Egypt. Fifth was going to be the rise of the messiah in Palestine. But because we got the heads-up that the second season would be it, I telescoped the third and fourth season into the second one, which accounts for the blazing speed we go through history near the end. There's certainly more than enough history to go around.[27]

wow that would've been amazing if the show would've continued.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']dude I loved Rome. One of my favorite shows.

HBO Chairman Chris Albrecht announced in a July 2006 news conference that season two of Rome would be its last, citing the fact that the series (called "notoriously expensive" by Broadcasting & Cable) had been developed under a two-year contract with the BBC that would have been difficult for the BBC to extend due to the series' cost.

“ I discovered halfway through writing the second season the show was going to end. The second was going to end with the death of Brutus. Third and fourth season would be set in Egypt. Fifth was going to be the rise of the messiah in Palestine. But because we got the heads-up that the second season would be it, I telescoped the third and fourth season into the second one, which accounts for the blazing speed we go through history near the end. There's certainly more than enough history to go around.[27]

wow that would've been amazing if the show would've continued.[/QUOTE]

Its weird because I was just watching Rome to fill the void until Breaking Bad or Game of thrones new season released, but now its definitlly top 5 series of all time right along with (The Wire, Game of Thrones, The Shield and Breaking Bad)

[quote name='Poor2More']Its weird because I was just watching Rome to fill the void until Breaking Bad or Game of thrones new season released, but now its definitlly top 5 series of all time right along with (The Wire, Game of Thrones, The Shield and Breaking Bad)[/QUOTE]
lol yeah i made a complete blind buy of it off amazon a year ago because it was cheap and I like history.

Rome is a big reason I keep making blind buys on shows. That, and I don't have cable so it always a roll of the dice.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']lol yeah i made a complete blind buy of it off amazon a year ago because it was cheap and I like history.

Rome is a big reason I keep making blind buys on shows. That, and I don't have cable so it always a roll of the dice.[/QUOTE]

Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo characters had fantastic chemistry in series, I loved Titus Pullo character (sound of even his name is great). Reading up on IMDB.com shows 3 or 4 actors from Rome is in John Carter (Gaius Julius Caesar, Marc Anthony, Atia of the Julii) might watch John Carter (Heard it wasent good, but if their in it why not)

The actor who plays Lucius Vorenus voices SOAP MacTavish (From COD Modern warfare series)

Spartacus is a cheap version of Rome. Enjoyable fluff but not nearly as good as Rome.

The Tudors is pretty good. I watched all the seasons of it. If you don't give a frack about historical inaccuracies, then yeah, you'll be very entertained.

[quote name='confoosious']Spartacus is a cheap version of Rome. Enjoyable fluff but not nearly as good as Rome.

The Tudors is pretty good. I watched all the seasons of it. If you don't give a frack about historical inaccuracies, then yeah, you'll be very entertained.[/QUOTE]

I see their are 4 seasons of Tudors, before I invest all that time just had a few questions.

1. How strong is the plot? Do you care what is happening? do you get that must watch one more episode....just 1 more, damn work at 7 am and its 3am already type of feeling?

2. Are the characters deep? any development?

3. Any Fighting/war action?

4. Tits, are their any? Rome & Game of Thrones spoiled me, They make me believe you cant have a solid Historic series without a few sets.

Rome season one was the best and I kind of wish the second season had stayed canceled. It was too depressing seeing the characters end that way and I thought the ending to season one was satisfying enough.

That said, definitely watch Borgias if you liked Rome. The production values aren't quite there, but it makes up for it in character (especially if you like assassins ;)).

[quote name='Jodou']Rome season one was the best and I kind of wish the second season had stayed canceled. It was too depressing seeing the characters end that way and I thought the ending to season one was satisfying enough.

That said, definitely watch Borgias if you liked Rome. The production values aren't totally there, but it makes up for it in character (especially if you like assassins ;)).[/QUOTE]

Producer of Rome said they had to condense a whole bunch of plot into season 2 and wrap it up because it was intended for the Egypt stuff to not happen till season 5. I guess to some it came off as rushed, but I think they did a fantastic job on season 2.

Wow just IMDB The Borgias, and it sounds great, critically acclaimed by users/critics. I wonder why I never heard of this series before....is this HBO, Starz, or showtime?

Damn got all excited when I entered Borgias into Netflix and it said it was available for instant streaming till I noticed its a different show about same thing.... The one I need is "The Borgias"

[quote name='Poor2More']Wow just IMDB The Borgias, and it sounds great, critically acclaimed by users/critics. I wonder why I never heard of this series before....is this HBO, Starz, or showtime?

Damn got all excited when I entered Borgias into Netflix and it said it was available for instant streaming till I noticed its a different show about same thing.... The one I need is "The Borgias"[/QUOTE]
Season 2 just finished about two weeks ago and it's on Showtime. It has already been renewed for a third season, so I'm fucking stoked. The way it ended this season was heartbreaking.

I'm just surprised there was never a thread on it, but probably because it has been overshadowed by GoT.

[quote name='Jodou']Season 2 just finished about two weeks ago and it's on Showtime. It has already been renewed for a third season, so I'm fucking stoked. The way it ended this season was heartbreaking.

I'm just surprised there was never a thread on it, but probably because it has been overshadowed by GoT.[/QUOTE]

dang have no Showtime, but Im sure it will pop up on the internet in some dark corner of the world wide web...

[quote name='confoosious']I hated Borgias.

Tudors was great for at least 2 seasons. Lots of great villains and heros. Season 4 was kind of a drag.[/QUOTE]
there is something with the borgias that makes it not as good as Rome, spartacus ect...
I can't really put my finger on it.
I think sometimes it really is just boring at times
Some scenes are more interesting to me as a set piece of the times than as a piece of drama.

Why not shoot a show in Greece right now since it could be done relatively cheap?

"Rome" seemed good, I only wish it would've been subtitled in English, with Latin as the spoken language.

[quote name='Sarang01']
"Rome" seemed good, I only wish it would've been subtitled in English, with Latin as the spoken language.[/QUOTE]

They actually wanted viewers.

Here are my recommendations for series to watch:
The Wire
The Sopranos
Rome
Game of Thrones
Boardwalk Empire

That's about the order in which I would watch them.

Treme was good at first, but it's getting boring fast. Also liked Homeland.

[quote name='Sarang01']Yeah God forbid people should have to read during a show.

Mel Gibson pulled that shit off with "Apocalypto".[/QUOTE]

Sure he did.

I watch foreign movies all the time so don't give me that "god forbid people read" nonsense. The point is that a series in Latin with English subtitles would be fucking terrible. There's a nuance to language you're never gonna get from actors speaking a dead tongue.

[quote name='confoosious']Sure he did.

I watch foreign movies all the time so don't give me that "god forbid people read" nonsense. The point is that a series in Latin with English subtitles would be fucking terrible. There's a nuance to language you're never gonna get from actors speaking a dead tongue.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was going to respond to his original post but wasn't sure how to word it...

I took four years of Latin and while most words can be sounded out it isn't exactly the easiest language to speak and speak correctly. Combine that with the fact that it is a dead language you'd be asking a lot of the actors to have to rehearse line after line of latin text

[quote name='mars009']Wow you guys just gave me a ton of great shows to watch. I just started Rome and Six Feet Under.[/QUOTE]

Seasons 1,2,5 of Six Feet Under were pretty good. Seasons 3,4? Meh.

[quote name='confoosious']Sure he did.

I watch foreign movies all the time so don't give me that "god forbid people read" nonsense. The point is that a series in Latin with English subtitles would be fucking terrible. There's a nuance to language you're never gonna get from actors speaking a dead tongue.[/QUOTE]

"You can handle a dead tongue but can you also handle a live one?!". :D

Couldn't resist.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']dude I loved Rome. One of my favorite shows.

wow that would've been amazing if the show would've continued.[/QUOTE]

I love rome, but the way they tried to wrap up during the end of season 2 was really irritating. I just didnt flow well and was a poor end to a great show. The first season is outstanding (rightly so for a 100 million dollars.)

Spartacus Season 1 is still my favorite, they are ending it after this season though. What I want is a spin off with new characters, except they focus more on the the fall of rome. I always wanted to give Rome a try but never got a chance because I thought it was just mediocre. You guys just helped me find another great series to watch =D

Rome season 2 was definitely weird. Just too much time hopping. Kid goes to college and the next episode he's so old a different person is playing him.

Still wrapped up better than Deadwood. But the time lapse did spoil an otherwise flawlessly done show.

All I can say is, for as expensive as Rome was, Game of Thrones looks 100x more expensive at a fraction of the cost. Seriously, I don't know what they spent their money on in Rome. The locales were not exactly huge set pieces.

bread's done
Back