Romney and the tax thing

[quote name='berzirk']Your position was the the current tax system was immoral and unjust. What facts or brainpower drive that position?
[/QUOTE]

It's just simple logic.

Why should someone who makes $10 million in regular wages and bonuses be taxed through the regular brackets (with most of their income taxed at 35% as that kicks in at somewhere in the $300Ks) while someone who makes $10 million from investments, loopholes like Romney's using per Speedracer's post above etc.?

That's the illogical part of it.

Why should someone making $10 million be paying an effective tax rate of 15% when many middle class families are paying the same or more? If you're making $50K a year or whatever, paying out 15 or 20% of your income in taxes has an impact on your standard of life. If you're making $10 million, paying out 15-20% or whatever is negligible. You're still super wealthy and can afford pretty much anything you want.

That's where the unfair/unjust portion comes in. You can disagree, and that's fine, as many support flat taxes etc. But a flat tax would be fairer than the current system where the wealthiest are paying lower effective taxed rates than a lot of the middle class.

The argument for having a progressive system goes beyond that and is based on a belief that those who've achieved great financial success should shoulder a very large portion of the tax burden since they've benefited most for the system.

[quote name='berzirk']I don't foresee any argument that is going to change our respective positions on that though. [/QUOTE]

You seem to take the fact that your position will not change no matter what as proof of something.
Why is that?

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's just simple logic.

Why should someone who makes $10 million in regular wages and bonuses be taxed through the regular brackets (with most of their income taxed at 35% as that kicks in at somewhere in the $300Ks) while someone who makes $10 million from investments, loopholes like Romney's using per Speedracer's post above etc.?

That's the illogical part of it.

Why should someone making $10 million be paying an effective tax rate of 15% when many middle class families are paying the same or more? If you're making $50K a year or whatever, paying out 15 or 20% of your income in taxes has an impact on your standard of life. If you're making $10 million, paying out 15-20% or whatever is negligible. You're still super wealthy and can afford pretty much anything you want.

That's where the unfair/unjust portion comes in. You can disagree, and that's fine, as many support flat taxes etc. But a flat tax would be fairer than the current system where the wealthiest are paying lower effective taxed rates than a lot of the middle class.

The argument for having a progressive system goes beyond that and is based on a belief that those who've achieved great financial success should shoulder a very large portion of the tax burden since they've benefited most for the system.[/QUOTE]

I think a big part of the capital gains rate is that historically people assumed individuals were investing their income. Income they already paid tax on. So as a result, rather than make it a higher percentage, and to encourage investment, they wanted to keep a smaller tax. It's not really loopholes (at least regarding this issue) that Romney took advantage of. He paid what the law says he needs to. Do any of us in this thread pay more than the government says we need to? I definitely don't. I'm not a noble man like Warren Buffett

And saying that middle class families pay a higher percentage than Romney likely varies widely. Middle class, married families with kids, have quite a few tax breaks and credits.

I personally think that something that gets lost in these discussions is the amount of tax revenue generated by people. My X% is nothing. Their's is millions. I get that it's just sort of how things work, but for a person that is already paying millions in tax, I can see how they'd be irked that people who are paying nothing, or next to nothing are criticizing them...not to mention, the 7million he paid out in charity. I don't keep track of how much I spend in charity, and probably wouldn't itemize it if I did...but if I spent 7mill in charity, I'd hope that instead of being labeled as greedy, people would appreciate the contributions made.

To me, the guy paid about 15% tax. I'm alright with that. If the law said he needed to pay 20% or more, then fine him and throw him in jail. He's meeting his moral obligation (paying out 7 million in charity) and he's acting justly-paying what the law requires of him.

I hate most of his politics, but this seems like a weak issue to crucify him on.

[quote name='Msut77']You seem to take the fact that your position will not change no matter what as proof of something.
Why is that?[/QUOTE]

Post facts on morality regarding a person paying their tax rate. We can discuss. That's my problem. I'm taking an "emotional" stance because the morality card has been played, and I believe he is acting morally, others are taking the emotional position that he's being immoral, or our tax system is immoral.

Compare it to other countries, show that people who pay 15% tax rape mentally handicapped kids more often than people who pay less/more tax do. Give me something that directly correalates factually or statistically, to morality.

This idea of a "fair share" cannot be proven by facts, because each person has a different idea of fair, based on their poltical view, upbringing, or a host of other variables.

[quote name='berzirk']It's not really loopholes (at least regarding this issue) that Romney took advantage of. He paid what the law says he needs to. [/QUOTE]

See speedracer's clarification above. Most of Romney's income wasn't capital gains on his own invested money. It was fees earned from investing clients money. So that's a loop hole as that's not what capital gains taxes were meant to cover (investment of your own income as you noted).

[quote name='dmaul1114']See speedracer's clarification above. Most of Romney's income wasn't capital gains on his own invested money. It was fees earned from investing clients money. So that's a loop hole as that's not what capital gains taxes were meant to cover (investment of your own income as you noted).[/QUOTE]

Was it legal? Would most people follow all legal avenues to pay less in tax?

It is legal, yes. As I said, I'm not knocking him for taking advantage of legal options to pay less taxes.

Just saying that's a clear loophole in the system that needs closed. If we're going to have a lower rate for capital gains (which I don't like), it should at least be 100% limited to income from returns from investing your own, already taxed, income.

[quote name='berzirk']Well, I tried. I figured if I could blame old, white guys I'd win you over as an ally. Haa haa.

I did truly assume that most of the richest of the rich are old, white guys. Is that incorrect? Apparently not. 8 of the top 10 are old white guys. 2/10 are old white ladies (Walmart money)

http://www.forbes.com/forbes-400/[/QUOTE]
I'm not that easy.:lol:

And I didn't say lazy people are paying no tax. I'll bet Kim Kardashian pays lots of tax :p I think of myself as a very hard worker, and I pay almost nothing. But to say that we need to tax the rich more, when they're already a lion's share of the tax revenue, and criticize a guy for trying to pay less in tax to keep more of his income (legally) seems like bad policy to me. Like I said to Camoor, I don't foresee any argument that is going to change our respective positions on that though.

And I don't see a false equivalency, or any equivalency for that matter.
Legal doesn't equal good or without harmful systemic effects just as illegal doesn't necessarily mean a Bad Thing. Not to mention that you're the one that brought up the "half the country doesn't pay taxes" trope.

You Are making an equivalence because you want to cut down on both foreign aid And DOD spending as if they're on the same scale in scope, goals, and resources just because money is directed outward. dmaul pretty much covered the taxation part of it.

But you ignored my question. Are you happy with the amount of money we pay out in foreign aid, and happy with the targets of that aid? I'm definitely not.
Actually, I did answer the question. I basically said that I don't care about foreign aid. That's like buying a brand new BMW 3 series and bitching about a $60 ashtray because Hitler was German.

edit: "Fair share" is actually quantifiable as contributing enough to cover costs of resources. I'm going to quote Marx here, so don't freak out. "From each according to their ability..." pretty much defines what progressive taxation is. And to quantify it again, the concept of marginal utility forms the framework for it. When taxes were higher, he country was doing awesome with greatly expanded social programs, worker compensation and benefits, and infrastructure improvements even when 15-20% of the population was experiencing unjust and racially oppressive conditions.

We should also be getting away from the "double taxation" talk because it never existed...EVER. You get taxed on gains and nothing else. If you invest $100 and make $100, you get taxed on that $100 profit. That's why when you get a tax form from the bank to report interest, you only see the interest. It's mindboggling how many people don't understand marginal tax rates and the simpliest guidelines for taxation.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dmaul1114']It is legal, yes. As I said, I'm not knocking him for taking advantage of legal options to pay less taxes.

Just saying that's a clear loophole in the system that needs closed. If we're going to have a lower rate for capital gains (which I don't like), it should at least be 100% limited to income from returns from investing your own, already taxed, income.[/QUOTE]

I can totally get on board with that and don't disagree with what you wrote. I disagree with the people that are saying what he did was immoral or unjust, when I think his records prove the opposite.

Like I said though, he's a dirty, scummy person. We should hate him for his politics and lots of his dangerous views. I don't think he's as dangerous as Santorum and Gingrich, but when you're third worst among 4 candidates, that's not exactly a resume bulletpoint.

It's like hating Newt for his continued infidelity. Sure, you can hate him for it, but there are so much better reasons to hate him than that.

[quote name='dohdough']You Are making an equivalence because you want to cut down on both foreign aid And DOD spending as if they're on the same scale in scope, goals, and resources just because money is directed outward. dmaul pretty much covered the taxation part of it.

Actually, I did answer the question. I basically said that I don't care about foreign aid. That's like buying a brand new BMW 3 series and bitching about a $60 ashtray because Hitler was German.[/QUOTE]

I never said they were on the same scale, in fact I assumed foreign aid was 5% (Msut says I'm wrong, I'll buy that), and I assumed military was 15% (Msut says it's closer to 20%, I buy that too). In my assessment of it all, I thought it was 3 to 1, military to foreign aid. According to Msut, it's much less, but you of all people should understand that a little bad is still bad.

Emotionally, I'd love it if we spent the $50 billion or so (if that's the amount) that we currently spend on foreign aid on education, on interstate repairs, on a host of other federal programs, or at least evaluate the countries we're giving money to and scale it back. If we wanted to cut military spending by 50% or more, and spend that money elsewhere in the country, I'd have a raging hardon for weeks. The magnitude of the two may be significantly different, but bad spending is bad spending.

[quote name='berzirk']Post facts on morality regarding a person paying their tax rate. We can discuss. That's my problem. I'm taking an "emotional" stance because the morality card has been played, and I believe he is acting morally, others are taking the emotional position that he's being immoral, or our tax system is immoral.

Compare it to other countries, show that people who pay 15% tax rape mentally handicapped kids more often than people who pay less/more tax do. Give me something that directly correalates factually or statistically, to morality.

This idea of a "fair share" cannot be proven by facts, because each person has a different idea of fair, based on their poltical view, upbringing, or a host of other variables.[/QUOTE]

Complete absolute moral relativism? Really? Reaching into the excuse jar kind of early aren't we?

Fact is the gap between rich and poor has never been greater in America and relatively speaking most of the richest of the rich pay very little taxes (when measured as a percentage of their income).

Fact is many poor people are suffering and our nation's debt keeps rising.

The nation's elite rich is the one natural resource I wouldn't mind tapping.

[quote name='dohdough']If you invest $100 and make $100, you get taxed on that $100 profit. That's why when you get a tax form from the bank to report interest, you only see the interest. It's mindboggling how many people don't understand marginal tax rates and the simpliest guidelines for taxation.[/QUOTE]

Well technically...
"Make" $100 would mean that you invest $100, and your ROI is $200 thus the $100.

Yeah semantics, but from an actual taxation standpoint you said $100 in and $100 out which means $0 profit.

I don't know that I'd call the ultra wealthy a "natural" resource as corruption and malice is often afoot to get to that level.

According to the 2011 IRS Tax table, the Romneys pay the same ~15% tax rate as joint-filers making between $17,000 and $70,000.
That's joint, so $70k is two people making $35k. And Romney's 13.9% is total tax liability, whereas the hypothetical $17-$70k earner would still have to pay state, local, and property taxes before we are comparing apples to apples.

It's strange that it took actually seeing a person not paying a fair tax rate before Republican primary voters realized it's bullshit.

Seeing is believing as they say, some people are just stubborn.

[quote name='Clak']berzirk just kind of skims the stuff posted here it seems.[/QUOTE]

This is DEFINITELY true. I'm usually mixing it in between work stuff, so I seldom dedicate full attention to posts, and skim most thread posts that don't mention or quote me.

It's just that we're posting relevant information and you're posting as if you're ignoring it. We refute things before you post them sometimes.

[quote name='speedracer']It's strange that it took actually seeing a person not paying a fair tax rate before Republican primary voters realized it's bullshit.[/QUOTE]

IAWTC

Just goes to show you - in a week one world-class hypocrite can accomplish what OWS has been trying to accomplish all year.

[quote name='berzirk']Post facts on morality regarding a person paying their tax rate. We can discuss.[/QUOTE]

Some people think it is immoral to starve children or deny sick people care due to money.

Some people think it is immoral to ask a multi millionaire to pay more or when they could be buying another mansion.

I am not going to dignify "agree to disagree" with an answer.

Anyway the moral "argument" aside, can anyone out there make a utilitarian argument?

Remember, supply side was originally sold to the public as something that would be good for everybody.

You still here that one but I doubt even the ones spouting it believe it.

[quote name='nasum']Well technically...
"Make" $100 would mean that you invest $100, and your ROI is $200 thus the $100.

Yeah semantics, but from an actual taxation standpoint you said $100 in and $100 out which means $0 profit.[/QUOTE]
Point well taken. I'll try to remember that in the future.

Not sure what the big deal is. The man paid his taxes at his legal tax rate. The rate is low because like any other taxpayer, he took legal measures to lower his tax burden which includes charitable donation deductions. That's more than many others can say.... Like the Treasury secretary for example.

[quote name='dopa345']Not sure what the big deal is. The man paid his taxes at his legal tax rate. The rate is low because like any other taxpayer, he took legal measures to lower his tax burden which includes charitable donation deductions. That's more than many others can say.... Like the Treasury secretary for example.[/QUOTE]

Some of us think that the rich should pay their fair of taxes, that's what the big deal is.

This isn't rocket science. This isn't brain surgery.

[quote name='camoor']Some of us think that the rich should pay their fair of taxes, that's what the big deal is.

This isn't rocket science. This isn't brain surgery.[/QUOTE]

Rich people paid for those tax breaks, they then use some of the money to lobby for more tax breaks,

The other big deal, that I wasn't aware of until Speedracer's post, is that he's basically manipulating the way he's paid to lower his tax burden.

It's not capital gains on his own money, it's some loophole where he can get paid a fee for the gains on his company's clients' investments and still get it taxed at 15%.

It's legal, but it's pretty slimy/greedy to do such underhanded things to avoid taxes. Even moreso when combined with the issues around his Swiss and Cayman accounts.

In short, it's one thing to just get your income from investments and pay the 15%. It sucks IMO, and that law needs changed. But that's just he way things are. But its another to exploit loopholes (even if legal) to get capital gains rates from income that isn't coming from investments of your already taxed income, and dodging taxes through offshore accounts etc.

[quote name='dopa345']Not sure what the big deal is. The man paid his taxes at his legal tax rate. The rate is low because like any other taxpayer, he took legal measures to lower his tax burden which includes charitable donation deductions. That's more than many others can say.... Like the Treasury secretary for example.[/QUOTE]

The additional big deal is that he and his party are campaigning on the rhetoric of paying one's "fair share." Gov. Romney didn't think the forty-odd percent of households paying an effective tax rate of 0% were above criticism, despite the fact that the law requires no more of them. Why, then, should he be allowed to take umbrage when he is criticized on the same basis?

Well, at least we haven't seen people (in this thread) defending Romney using the dreadfully illogical "double taxation" frame that I hear so much on talk radio.

It should just be a law that if you make over one million dollars you can't run for president but seriously if we were rich wouldn't we like to stay rich?

I agree with Dead of Night!

I dont mind a rich person being president. JFK was rich as balls, and poked fun at it, which the media loved. What matters is whether or not we're going to write the rules in favor of the rich. Lots of non-rich people are willing to go to bat for the rich, President or not.

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, at least we haven't seen people (in this thread) defending Romney using the dreadfully illogical "double taxation" frame that I hear so much on talk radio.[/QUOTE]

That's context dependent... If you are some guy who gets a salary for most of his income and then invests on the side, it is double taxation.

If you are a guy with a pot of money or an "investment banker" and make a large portion of your income from investments, then it turns into a tax break...

[quote name='BigT']That's context dependent... If you are some guy who gets a salary for most of his income and then invests on the side, it is double taxation.

If you are a guy with a pot of money or an "investment banker" and make a large portion of your income from investments, then it turns into a tax break...[/QUOTE]
It's almost as if you don't understand taxation at all or read through this thread. Seriously, WTF. This was already explained on the previous page and partially on the first post of THIS VERY PAGE.

Here's a hint buddy: There is no context because your scenario doesn't make a lick of sense.

edit: whoops, I mean on page 3 and 4...not that it matters because you still weren't paying attention to the thread.

Let's just keep in mind that people like Romney are the exception, not the rule. The majority of millionaires DO pay a greater percentage in taxes than the middle class. Rational discussion is one thing, hating on people for making more money than you is quite another.

Don't bother tearing me a new asshole because I won't be around to hear about it.

[quote name='BigT']That's context dependent... If you are some guy who gets a salary for most of his income and then invests on the side, it is double taxation.[/QUOTE]

It's a tax on capital gains. Generally, if you invest $1000 of your after-tax wages and later cash out that investment for $1500, all of the $500 gain and none of the $1000 return of principal is taxed at that time. Likewise, if the same investment yielded a return of $500, you'd have suffered a $500 capital loss, which results in a tax deduction. There may be circumstances where this scheme doesn't make facial sense (such as when the gain is entirely attributable to inflation), but those mostly have little to do with double taxation.

Granted, there are areas of the tax code which do call for taxation of the same sum twice, the most prevalent of which is in the case of a dividend from a C Corporation. There, however, two separate entities (the corporation and the shareholder) are each paying a tax independent from one another, so even then the kind of "double taxation" of the individual you're talking about isn't occurring.

EDIT: And by the by, the corporate tax issue is likely one of the factors behind the increase in the proportion of business filing as S Corporations, LLCs, and other entities which don't pay federal corporate tax.

[quote name='utgotye']Let's just keep in mind that people like Romney are the exception, not the rule. The majority of millionaires DO pay a greater percentage in taxes than the middle class. Rational discussion is one thing, hating on people for making more money than you is quite another.

Don't bother tearing me a new asshole because I won't be around to hear about it.[/QUOTE]

no evidence, no support and no accountability, in other words,the ideal republican

^ RvB, I remember when you used to be the "rightie" on these boards. Whenever I see you post something unequivocally reviling the GOP, I wonder if that's a reflection of your changing ideals, or the entire party diving off the crazy cliff.

Magus makes a fine point, but we don't even need to go that far to show the double taxation argument is insipid.

The double taxation argument is that it's unfair to tax because it was already taxed (via payroll tax) as a salary.

Such an argument shows that the Republicans truly only care about benefits for the ultra wealthy. The Bush-era tax cuts were defended like society's future was at stake by the party who never saw a tax cut they didn't like - until a payroll tax cut was proposed by Obama (and was framed as "not a tax cut" by the right). Capital gains tax rates are defended as unfair and "double taxation" because they stem from invested salaries (already subject to payroll taxes) - which is both inaccurate (as Magus and others show) but also incomplete.

If "double taxation" was a concern, why don't they rail against sales taxes? Why don't they rail against luxury taxes, or sin taxes? You buy a case of beer, that has a lot of built-in taxes on it, with money you got from a paycheck, and was therefore already subject to a payroll tax. Why should you be taxed again? Same logic applies to a double-deuce of "Natty Lite" (or craft beer if you're dmaul, he wouldn't be caught dead with such a thing) as it would investments with Bain Capital, yes?

So the "double taxation" argument (or the "contextual" argument as BigT might make it) is incomplete and selective in favor of benefiting a specific group of individuals, the ultra wealthy (1%, 0.1%, whathaveyou). It does not consider that there are many occasions where routine expenditures by average Americans meet the same criteria of 'double taxation' as investments, and assumes that the average American is too stupid (or too disinterested) to discover that they are subject to an arbitrarily-applied set of rules in order to continue rigging the game in favor of those who have already won. The Centurion Card-carrying motherfuckers.

Originally Posted by utgotye
Let's just keep in mind that people like Romney are the exception, not the rule. The majority of millionaires DO pay a greater percentage in taxes than the middle class. Rational discussion is one thing, hating on people for making more money than you is quite another.

Don't bother tearing me a new asshole because I won't be around to hear about it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']no evidence, no support and no accountability, in other words,the ideal republican

[/QUOTE]
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/09/fact-check-the-richtheir-secretaries-and-taxes/

I am sure you will weasel your way out of this one, and for the record, I am up for ending the loopholes, but it IS unfair to increase taxes beyond that.

[quote name='Knoell']http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/09/fact-check-the-richtheir-secretaries-and-taxes/[/quote]

The last sentence is where the real story begins:

The rate for the middle-income filers drop because many individual deductions and tax credits are phased out for higher income taxpayers

Indirectly, anyway. Picture a tax credit - the old $8,000 first time home buyer tax credit (which expired for all but military and intelligence people in 2011, much to my first-time-home-buying chagrin). For someone earning $80,000 a year (i.e., above the median wage by roughly $25-30,000 per year), that tax credit amounts to 10% of their annual income. That same credit for someone earning $800,000 per year (i.e., *below* the threshold of wealth in the article you quoted), that tax credit is going to account for 1% of their annual income. The less you earn, the greater the overall effect tax credits and deductions can have on the percentage you pay overall.

I am sure you will weasel your way out of this one, and for the record, I am up for ending the loopholes, but it IS unfair to increase taxes beyond that.

How is it unfair? One only needs to look at changing wealth inequality since the early 1980's, coupled with changes in tax rates for different income quintiles in the same time frame, coupled with changes the inflation-adjusted mean income and spending power indices (like the CPI or core inflation measures) to see that you've thrown out the word "unfair" with nothing to back it up. Unfair describes the winner-takes-all economic policies of the last 3 decades - and not in the direction you claim.

[quote name='mykevermin']^ RvB, I remember when you used to be the "rightie" on these boards. Whenever I see you post something unequivocally reviling the GOP, I wonder if that's a reflection of your changing ideals, or the entire party diving off the crazy cliff.

Magus makes a fine point, but we don't even need to go that far to show the double taxation argument is insipid.

The double taxation argument is that it's unfair to tax because it was already taxed (via payroll tax) as a salary.

Such an argument shows that the Republicans truly only care about benefits for the ultra wealthy. The Bush-era tax cuts were defended like society's future was at stake by the party who never saw a tax cut they didn't like - until a payroll tax cut was proposed by Obama (and was framed as "not a tax cut" by the right). Capital gains tax rates are defended as unfair and "double taxation" because they stem from invested salaries (already subject to payroll taxes) - which is both inaccurate (as Magus and others show) but also incomplete.

If "double taxation" was a concern, why don't they rail against sales taxes? Why don't they rail against luxury taxes, or sin taxes? You buy a case of beer, that has a lot of built-in taxes on it, with money you got from a paycheck, and was therefore already subject to a payroll tax. Why should you be taxed again? Same logic applies to a double-deuce of "Natty Lite" (or craft beer if you're dmaul, he wouldn't be caught dead with such a thing) as it would investments with Bain Capital, yes?

So the "double taxation" argument (or the "contextual" argument as BigT might make it) is incomplete and selective in favor of benefiting a specific group of individuals, the ultra wealthy (1%, 0.1%, whathaveyou). It does not consider that there are many occasions where routine expenditures by average Americans meet the same criteria of 'double taxation' as investments, and assumes that the average American is too stupid (or too disinterested) to discover that they are subject to an arbitrarily-applied set of rules in order to continue rigging the game in favor of those who have already won. The Centurion Card-carrying motherfuckers.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to think it's a little bit of both. I have had some fundamental changes in my ideals over the last year or so. Why? Because the Republicans have shown us one thing and one thing only over the last few years, they care about the rich and no one else. They're concerned with the rich staying rich and little else.

I used to believe in a system, a system the Republicans celebrated for fairness, in which any person could get ahead if they just worked hard enough. That system doesn't exist. The rich hoard their money like Scrooge McDuck and only let their chosen few into their "club." The middle class in this country is evaporating and it seems to be business as usual in Washington, particularly for the Republicans. Who is taking the brunt of the economic meltdown? The middle class and poor, not the rich. Are the rich having their only home foreclosed on? They might have a pinch in their pocket but nothing that's hurting them as much as this economic crisis is hurting the middle class. Where are all the foreclosures happening? The mansions of the Hamptons or the suburbs of Florida, Las Vegas, etc.

Of course, the inevitable retort is going to be, those people being foreclosed on should have never taken that mortgage on in the first place, they obviously couldn't afford it. To that I say bullshit, complete and utter bullshit. These are people who could afford their mortgage until the owners of their company decided it was time to "tighten the belt" and laid off their entire division or that James with 20 years of experience was being paid too much whereas Joseph who just started gets paid less; So? too bad James, you're expendable, we don't care if you have a family of 4 and a mortgage, we need our stock price to go up 2 % because our board and stockholders need to make up the losses they've taken on their other holdings.

I know, I know; but this is just class warfare bullshit. I used to think that too anytime someone brought up class inequality. The simple fact is that if it is class warfare, its the rich that are embargoing the poor not the poor taking shots at the rich. Just look at the bailout. The banks were given tax money, our fucking money, with the express intention of those banks using that money to refinance mortgages, make new loans, to just plain get the fucking economy going again. What did they do? Paid out million dollar bonuses, used it to pay off their debts, and generally did anything except what the government intended them to do with it. The result? The banks all suddenly turned the ship around while the rest of the economy continued to stall.

The mortgage crisis. Yeah, I still have more to say on that. Everyone wants to talk about small percentages? Sure, I'll give you small percentages. Small percentages is exactly those people the Republicans like to point out as taking on mortgages they couldn't afford. The rest of them were made up of the middle class people I pointed out above and people who were downright swindled. People who were aggressively sold on mortgages, tricked into believing that their adjustable rate mortgage would never go up, that by not having to show proof of their income the bank was just doing them a favor, etc. The bank's approach in signing those risky mortgages? What do we care, we'll just sell the mortgage on the secondary market, if it fails it isn't our problem. The broker that sold it doesn't care, he already got his bonus in the form of an incentive to sell a higher interest rate to the buyer (or more typically, he just flat out lied to them about the actual interest rate they qualified for) But still, the banker thinks, these mortgages look like shit, how do we sell it on the secondary market? Same thing Food Lion does with expired steaks, grind it up with some better stuff and no one will be able to pick it out. Hide those shitty mortgages inside other mortgages to make the overall package look good. If nothing else, they can always insure themselves against loss through AIG, right?

So, then what happened this summer. A few individuals decided they had enough of the rich sitting in their ivory towers ignoring the plight of those "below" them so they put it right in their face by occupying Wall Street. A movement vilified by the right when it came just a short time after the right's own version, the tea party. Ahh, the tea party... Anyone remember that statistic that the majority of those associating with the tea party were pulling social security and Medicaid. Good times. Don't take me wrong, I don't have a problem with social security or Medicaid but rather when you're rallying against a government charging too high of taxes and too many handout while that same government sustains you, you just look like an idiot.

Now, that all brings me to the Republicans response to the current situation in America. Let's put up 2 guys who are well established in the 1% themselves. Bachmann may have been a complete nutjob but at least she was one of the few nominees who could maintain a straight face if talking about the plights of the middle class. You know why Heidi Fleiss stuck to the west coast? Because Newt Gingrich already had the market cornered in Washington. This is a guy who, after being effectively kicked out of office went on to form a "consulting firm" that did little more than sell the political favors that Newt had built up in his time in Washington. The cause didn't matter, as long as the money was there, Newt would "consult" for you. Good ol' boys club doesn't even begin to describe it. Mitt Romney... you almost had us, you really did. What with your somewhat moderate tendencies in Massachusetts as Governor including overseeing the passage of healthcare reform in Massachusetts. Then, then we learned the truth. You're the guy that bought James and Jospeh's company, sucked all the assets you could from it, laid them off, and made a $20 million dollar payday along the way. Well at least you paid your fair share of taxes on that $20 million, oh wait...

That, that long wall of text is sadly the most succinct way I can put it when I say, "fuck the Republican Party."

[quote name='mykevermin']The last sentence is where the real story begins:

Indirectly, anyway. Picture a tax credit - the old $8,000 first time home buyer tax credit (which expired for all but military and intelligence people in 2011, much to my first-time-home-buying chagrin). For someone earning $80,000 a year (i.e., above the median wage by roughly $25-30,000 per year), that tax credit amounts to 10% of their annual income. That same credit for someone earning $800,000 per year (i.e., *below* the threshold of wealth in the article you quoted), that tax credit is going to account for 1% of their annual income. The less you earn, the greater the overall effect tax credits and deductions can have on the percentage you pay overall.

How is it unfair? One only needs to look at changing wealth inequality since the early 1980's, coupled with changes in tax rates for different income quintiles in the same time frame, coupled with changes the inflation-adjusted mean income and spending power indices (like the CPI or core inflation measures) to see that you've thrown out the word "unfair" with nothing to back it up. Unfair describes the winner-takes-all economic policies of the last 3 decades - and not in the direction you claim.[/QUOTE]

1. Most tax credits that you are talking about have income limits.

Like the First Time Homeowner Credit
Income limits: The tax credit is subject to income limitations. Single buyers need a modified adjusted gross income of $75,000 or less to qualify for the full credit, that's $150,000 for married couples. Those earning more than these thresholds may be eligible for reduced credits

The last sentance you speak of goes against any point you are trying to make. The rate drops MORE for middle income earners because of all the tax credits they DO qualify for that 1mil+ earners do not. So now its the tax cuts for the middle class that cause millionaires to pay more? As if that makes a difference because the same article quotes 1mil+ STILL paying twice the tax rate as the middle class before tax credits. Before or after THEY STILL PAY MORE.

The rate for the middle-income filers drop because many individual deductions and tax credits are phased out for higher income taxpayers.

2. We are talking about income taxes. If you think that it is not only fair but people paying twice the PERCENTAGE of the middle class should pay more? Then there is just no arguing with you. You are deadset in your agenda.

Do the damn math, you just did it with the tax credits. (You do already understand that a percentage ALREADY adjusts for the disparity in two numbers right? So not only are we rightfully taking PERCENTAGES, but we are doubling (or more) them for the rich and you want to increase that burden.)

Before Tax Credits
29% of 7,000,000 = 2,030,000
15% of 80,000 = 12,000

After Tax Credits
22% of 5,000,000 = 1,100,000
7% of 60,000 = 4,200

With your math, somehow you would consider that an affront to the middle class, and the wealthy taking advantage. Utter foolishness.

Then comes along the income inequality scenario in which you tote around the tax table as if it is at all the cause and possible savior to that.

Ugh, thats my quota of this forum for the month.

[quote name='Knoell']http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/09/fact-check-the-richtheir-secretaries-and-taxes/

I am sure you will weasel your way out of this one, and for the record, I am up for ending the loopholes, but it IS unfair to increase taxes beyond that.[/QUOTE]

So, after typing my little love letter to the Republicans I was planning on responding your post/attack in much a similar fashion as Myke did. I probably would have gone more of a direction of cost of living, etc. but still I stand behind his point. The farce of Reaganomics/Trickle Down Economics has caused far too many problems in this country. The main problem is the simple fact that the rich don't spend their fucking money. They sit on it and sit on it.

I could go on but I'm actually going to go in a different direction. Why do you fight for them? The rich I mean. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're not a millionaire. Then why do you fight so hard for their taxes not to go up? Like Obama said last night, to run this country that money has to come from somewhere or it gets added to the debt. Do you want to pay higher taxes or do you want them to? I already know "their" answer, but I'd like to hear your's.

Ahh, fairness. Yes, it is about fairness. I guess I'm gonna have to go back to cost of living afterall... Let's say that $1,000,000 breadwinner pays 30% in taxes leaving him with only $700,000 in disposable income. Let's say he lives extravagantly and his cost of living per year is roughly $300,000. Well gosh darn it, that makes up less than half of his leftover income. What does he do with the rest? Yep, sits on it. That's money that's not driving the economy and not doing anything except sitting there. Now, let's look at the average family. Let's say their on the "higher" end of middle class and their total income is $100,000. What were we saying their tax rate was again? 15%. Ok sure, they paid $15,000. Now that leaves them $85,000 a year to live on, not bad but really in comparison after making mortgage payments, putting the kids through school, etc. they're not gonna have much left over and they've already started at less than 1/3 of the usable income that the millionaire decided to live somewhat extravagantly on. God forbid either one of the people working in this family gets laid off...

I'm sure my post is getting a little difficult to follow at this point so I'll just leave it at this, 30% for a millionaire isn't even close to the same thing as 15% for the average working family. Even if it is percentages, it doesn't cost that much more for a millionaire to live their life over an average person, even if they are living extravagantly.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']So, after typing my little love letter to the Republicans I was planning on responding your post/attack in much a similar fashion as Myke did. I probably would have gone more of a direction of cost of living, etc. but still I stand behind his point. The farce of Reaganomics/Trickle Down Economics has caused far too many problems in this country. The main problem is the simple fact that the rich don't spend their fucking money. They sit on it and sit on it.

I could go on but I'm actually going to go in a different direction. Why do you fight for them? The rich I mean. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're not a millionaire. Then why do you fight so hard for their taxes not to go up? Like Obama said last night, to run this country that money has to come from somewhere or it gets added to the debt. Do you want to pay higher taxes or do you want them to? I already know "their" answer, but I'd like to hear your's.

Ahh, fairness. Yes, it is about fairness. I guess I'm gonna have to go back to cost of living afterall... Let's say that $1,000,000 breadwinner pays 30% in taxes leaving him with only $700,000 in disposable income. Let's say he lives extravagantly and his cost of living per year is roughly $300,000. Well gosh darn it, that makes up less than half of his leftover income. What does he do with the rest? Yep, sits on it. That's money that's not driving the economy and not doing anything except sitting there. Now, let's look at the average family. Let's say their on the "higher" end of middle class and their total income is $100,000. What were we saying their tax rate was again? 15%. Ok sure, they paid $15,000. Now that leaves them $85,000 a year to live on, not bad but really in comparison after making mortgage payments, putting the kids through school, etc. they're not gonna have much left over and they've already started at less than 1/3 of the usable income that the millionaire decided to live somewhat extravagantly on. God forbid either one of the people working in this family gets laid off...

I'm sure my post is getting a little difficult to follow at this point so I'll just leave it at this, 30% for a millionaire isn't even close to the same thing as 15% for the average working family. Even if it is percentages, it doesn't cost that much more for a millionaire to live their life over an average person, even if they are living extravagantly.[/QUOTE]

I stopped at this - "The main problem is the simple fact that the rich don't spend their fucking money. They sit on it and sit on it"

Because on the same breath you will complain about Wall St making too much money on the backs of companies they invest in.

Contradict much?

I will ask you the same question I asked Myke, how is twice the PERCENTAGE not enough?

In the past I have heard people on this forum saying we should go back to the 70+% era(which in and of itself is not what they think it was). Greed, and Foolishness

[quote name='perdition(troy']Neither. I want spending to go down.[/QUOTE]

*this*.

Obama's statement is exactly what's wrong with Washington (notice I didn't mention a particular political party here). The idea of cutting spending is so alien to them, they can't even consider it part of the equation. It's either "tax and spend" or "debt and spend"... How about cut and spend?

The funny thing is, I'm not even against the idea of raising taxes - but not until Washington shows that they're going to use that increase in revenue wisely. Something they haven't shown the slightest hint of.

Also, just because I love the topic of taxes so much... we can all agree that what Romney is doing is pretty much legal (though some of the off shore business is questionable). All of you who are in here crying about Romney's finances should make sure you file your state taxes correctly this year - including paying for the use tax on your internet purchases (as applicable). I mean, surely no one in here would be so hypocritical as to blast Romney for using legal loopholes to avoid his "fair share" of taxes while you are actually circumventing the law to avoid paying your own "fair share"...

Thanks for the explanation, RvB. If you're into leisure reading that will make your blood boil, I'd recommend Hacker and Pierson's "Winner Takes All Politics" and Michael Lewis's "The Big Short." The former is about the influence of wealth on our political system on the whole, the latter a very thorough journalistic account of the financial crisis, with special emphasis on the hot potato nature of ARMs, CDOs and the like.

[quote name='Knoell']I will ask you the same question I asked Myke, how is twice the PERCENTAGE not enough?[/QUOTE]

...because maybe it isn't? By your logic, it'd be unfair if the top earning households had an effective tax rate of 3% and middle-class households had an effective rate of 1%, since the former rate would be triple the latter.

Good tax policy in this area is borne from balancing the need for revenue against the negative effects of, e.g., raising marginal tax rates. Setting arbitrary lines in the sand and declaring anything in excess thereof oppressive is unhelpful.

[quote name='UncleBob']Also, just because I love the topic of taxes so much... we can all agree that what Romney is doing is pretty much legal (though some of the off shore business is questionable). All of you who are in here crying about Romney's finances should make sure you file your state taxes correctly this year - including paying for the use tax on your internet purchases (as applicable). I mean, surely no one in here would be so hypocritical as to blast Romney for using legal loopholes to avoid his "fair share" of taxes while you are actually circumventing the law to avoid paying your own "fair share"...[/QUOTE]

Oregon does not have a use tax.

bread's done
Back