Rosie O'Donnell's following in Kramer's footsteps

[quote name='Apossum']OMG SO RACIST. :roll:[/QUOTE]

So there won't be a problem if she said Africa and made clicking noises?

That is not racist at all. It'd be like if a Japanese guy said "Blah, blah, blah, Danny Davito, blah, blah".

But Rosie is a dumb bitch just because.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Now people are just searching for things to be offended by. Get over yourselves.[/QUOTE]

No kidding, but I find it funny that people are doing the same thing to Rosie that Rosie did to Kelly Rippa. :D

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Now people are just searching for things to be offended by. Get over yourselves.[/QUOTE]

Well, at least they're finding stuff that's pretty offensive.

That is, of course, unless you've grown up without any idea what it's like to experience racial prejudice in your life, and accordingly accuse everyone else of overreacting.

This wasn't racist. Stereotyping yes, but not as much racist. There didn't seem to be any malice behind her intent of using such verbage. It's just Rosie being her ignorant ass self.

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, at least they're finding stuff that's pretty offensive.

That is, of course, unless you've grown up without any idea what it's like to experience racial prejudice in your life, and accordingly accuse everyone else of overreacting.[/quote]
Yep, that must be the case. Just a week ago, I saw my very first black person. How many times do you see a black comedian talking like an uptight white guy. RACISTS!

God you're such a self righteous assclown. And I sincerely hope that offended you.

[quote name='Rags']That is not racist at all. It'd be like if a Japanese guy said "Blah, blah, blah, Danny Davito, blah, blah".[/quote]
Except for that fact that "Blah, blah, blah" has widely accepted usage and meaning. I hang around a lot of Japanese people and I've never once heard them say "Ching chong ching chong Danny Devito"

So I guess they're nothing alike at all.

[quote name='jollydwarf']If you're offended by this, whatever you do, don't ever watch Wonder Showzen![/quote]If you're offended by this, just stop watching TV altogether, because it happens all the time. And you better not go outside into the real world, because you'll be offended by all the regular people who do it as well. They must all be huge racist assholes.

[quote name='dcfox']Except for that fact that "Blah, blah, blah" has widely accepted usage and meaning. I hang around a lot of Japanese people and I've never once heard them say "Ching chong ching chong Danny Devito"

So I guess they're nothing alike at all.[/quote]

Actually, she was talking about the Chinese. The Japanese, I would assume, would go something like "Jing jong jing jang" or something to that effect.

[quote name='dcfox']Except for that fact that "Blah, blah, blah" has widely accepted usage and meaning. I hang around a lot of Japanese people and I've never once heard them say "Ching chong ching chong Danny Devito"

So I guess they're nothing alike at all.[/QUOTE]

She said a stupid thing because she's a moron, but don't be so fucking thin skinned.

I saw this week that some Jewish guy was going to sue an airport because they had Christmas trees but no hanukkah crap. It's the fucking place's thoughts and beliefs so why the hell should they not be able to flaunt it? I don't go into the Japanese restaurant down the street and tell them if they don't take down their Budah statue that I am going to sue them. WHY? Because I'm not a fucking baby about the situation like some people seem to be.

I don't think you can ascribe a racial connotation to a language. So this isn't racist, just her being massively dumb. As usual.

I saw this week that some Jewish guy was going to sue an airport because they had Christmas trees but no hanukkah crap.

See, this is all propelled by a very angry, very vocal minority (within a minority or special interest group), and someone really needs to quash it once and for all. Any establishment or business should be allowed to express whatever 'Seasons' Greetings' they want, knowing that the worst reprecussion they can suffer is that some people will just simply stop shopping there. That should be the extent of it.

I draw the line, however, at putting Nativity scenes in front of government buildings, as that's definitely rubbing Church a little too close (okay...a lot) to State. Common sense says that while most people at least academically know the 'true meaning of Christmas', it now has a secondary, more benevolent generalized, almost secular meaning, and things like decorated trees and creepy plastic Santas are just signs of good will and manipulative imagery to put the VAST MAJORITY of shoppers in a good mood.

Hell, Al Franken wants Christmas to thrive, as he's "Jewish, and I have a lot of Jewish friends in retail! Please, save Christmas!! We don't want it to go anywhere!!" Okay, I'm quoting from memory, but the point is that only the total fringe element can't deal with specific holiday expression.

"Hap-py, Hap-py, Hap-py!"

P.S. fuck Rosie, just in general. But not literally. Ech!

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yep, that must be the case. Just a week ago, I saw my very first black person. How many times do you see a black comedian talking like an uptight white guy. RACISTS!

God you're such a self righteous assclown. And I sincerely hope that offended you.[/QUOTE]

Well, the problem stems from your assertion, like that of others, that this is just something that is (1) objectively not racist (though you can't rationalize that), and (2) nothing to be offended by, because that's how it is in the real world. Spoken like a person truly oblivious to, yet simultaneously comforted by, white privilege. The fact of the matter is that both Unity (a multicultural journalists' association) and the Asian America Jornalists' Union issued statements expressing their outrage, offense taken, and demanding an apology/retraction.

Rarely do people express outrage and demand apologies when something not offensive is said.

Now, hiccupleftovers made the point that no malice was intended, so it can't be racist. Now that's a very common and often assumed notion. To be racist, it has to be intentionally racist. I will respectfully disagree (as opposed to being my usual self) simply because ol' hiccup wasn't insisting that it was X or Y, and not backing it up. Kudos for an explanation.

Nevertheless, I disagree on the grounds that ideas and actions known as "benign racism" exist. Several years ago, and I kid you fucking not, Food Lion (a market chain that exists nowhere near where I live) had a month-long "Black History Month Sale" on fried chicken and watermelon. Now, we assume that a person who made this decision, being an employee of the company, is most likely someone who wants to help the company make money and attract store traffic (we could also assume "bitter employee who wants to get fired," but things such as sales and marketing can be tied back to the individual, so I imagine the fear of it backfiring on the marketer rules that out). So we're stuck with a sale on food items that are very stereotypically "black."

I'd say another example, one that might be better, is racism that suggests people are better than others. Take, for instance, the immense amount of psychological and sociological research on Asian-American children, and the pressure put on them by their teachers and other students because of the domineering belief that they are all amazing at mathematics.

Racism doesn't have to be ill-intentioned to be racism. Charlie Chan films (and the "Chan Clan" cartoons, if you're unlucky enough to have seen them) can attest to that as well.

I know people that were pissed that Walmart said "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" last year. I also know people that were pissed that they said the oposite beforehand. Can't please everyone, so why try? People just bitch to bitch.

As long as someone does not knife me or shoot me when I walk in the door, I don't give a shit what they have in the place. Think what they want to.

[quote name='Rags']She said a stupid thing because she's a moron, but don't be so fucking thin skinned. [/quote]
Calm down there buddy. Talk about thin skinned. :lol: I agree she was just being a moron and I'm not calling what she did racist. All I did was just point out how your analogy was incorrect.

OMGsh I thought I heard the end of it.

When you say the phrases she just said you are calling yourself a idiot or something like I am a Stupid chinese etc etc.

In truth America is still in the can when it comes to understanding that Asian people.

Rosie O, Donnald is one of thoese people along with most of the American populous.

I mean come on that is so old as people not thinking that hey if Japan never attacked China then we would have no Korea but instead thinking that ohh the raped the women and tourchered people but that happens in any war.

Let the Amerikan pig sing:D

[quote name='RegalSin2020']OMGsh I thought I heard the end of it.

When you say the phrases she just said you are calling yourself a idiot or something like I am a Stupid chinese etc etc.

In truth America is still in the can when it comes to understanding that Asian people.

Rosie O, Donnald is one of thoese people along with most of the American populous.

I mean come on that is so old as people not thinking that hey if Japan never attacked China then we would have no Korea but instead thinking that ohh the raped the women and tourchered people but that happens in any war.

Let the Amerikan pig sing:D[/quote]

One time I pissed my pants. Then I realized I read your post.

[quote name='RegalSin2020']OMGsh I thought I heard the end of it.

Let the Amerikan pig sing:D[/QUOTE]

BAM!!!!!

I did not follow much of that.....until the American pig part, I liked that.

[quote name='bobo2k4']So there won't be a problem if she said Africa and made clicking noises?[/QUOTE]

Ever hear someone mock a British or Southern accent? It's the same thing. btw, I've seen plenty of skits and shows where they make fun of African "clicking noises"...also known as the Pygmy language, fyi. I can't believe you'd just call it "clicking noises"!! That's so racist!! ;)

for good measure, since the american media has made everyone's definition of racism about as wide and loose as pamela anderson's vagina, I present:

Main Entry: rac·ism
Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-
Function: noun

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
- rac·ist /-sist also -shist/ noun or adjective

I don't think "ching chong ching chong Danny Devito" falls under any of that. It was just a stupid imitation of a language she doesn't know.

[quote name='mykevermin']
Racism doesn't have to be ill-intentioned to be racism. Charlie Chan films (and the "Chan Clan" cartoons, if you're unlucky enough to have seen them) can attest to that as well.[/QUOTE]

Chan Clan is racist?

I watched it as a kid, but I was probably too young to fully understand it if it had some kind of long reaching racial tones other than being a shitty cartoon.

I never saw that cartoon, so no call on that one. People say that the Smurfs were communist, but I just saw little blue guys with tails. Different thoughts from different people. Some people just look a little deeper than they should.

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, the problem stems from your assertion, like that of others, that this is just something that is (1) objectively not racist (though you can't rationalize that), and (2) nothing to be offended by, because that's how it is in the real world. Spoken like a person truly oblivious to, yet simultaneously comforted by, white privilege. The fact of the matter is that both Unity (a multicultural journalists' association) and the Asian America Jornalists' Union issued statements expressing their outrage, offense taken, and demanding an apology/retraction.

Rarely do people express outrage and demand apologies when something not offensive is said.

Now, hiccupleftovers made the point that no malice was intended, so it can't be racist. Now that's a very common and often assumed notion. To be racist, it has to be intentionally racist. I will respectfully disagree (as opposed to being my usual self) simply because ol' hiccup wasn't insisting that it was X or Y, and not backing it up. Kudos for an explanation.

Nevertheless, I disagree on the grounds that ideas and actions known as "benign racism" exist. Several years ago, and I kid you fucking not, Food Lion (a market chain that exists nowhere near where I live) had a month-long "Black History Month Sale" on fried chicken and watermelon. Now, we assume that a person who made this decision, being an employee of the company, is most likely someone who wants to help the company make money and attract store traffic (we could also assume "bitter employee who wants to get fired," but things such as sales and marketing can be tied back to the individual, so I imagine the fear of it backfiring on the marketer rules that out). So we're stuck with a sale on food items that are very stereotypically "black."

I'd say another example, one that might be better, is racism that suggests people are better than others. Take, for instance, the immense amount of psychological and sociological research on Asian-American children, and the pressure put on them by their teachers and other students because of the domineering belief that they are all amazing at mathematics.

Racism doesn't have to be ill-intentioned to be racism. Charlie Chan films (and the "Chan Clan" cartoons, if you're unlucky enough to have seen them) can attest to that as well.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering if you draw a line between racism and stereotypes. or are all stereotypes racist to you? Cause she just stereotyped the Chinese language. She didn't say "everybody do what you can to make life hell for all Chinese people in America."

On the other hand, offensive things are said all the time that most people just ignore because they can comprehend things in context. Anyone could see that she was just making an idiotic joke and that said joke was just a vehicle for some other point. It was mindless, it was a stereotype, it was in poor taste, but how was it racist?

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, the problem stems from your assertion, like that of others, that this is just something that is (1) objectively not racist (though you can't rationalize that), and (2) nothing to be offended by, because that's how it is in the real world. Spoken like a person truly oblivious to, yet simultaneously comforted by, white privilege. The fact of the matter is that both Unity (a multicultural journalists' association) and the Asian America Jornalists' Union issued statements expressing their outrage, offense taken, and demanding an apology/retraction.

Racism doesn't have to be ill-intentioned to be racism. Charlie Chan films (and the "Chan Clan" cartoons, if you're unlucky enough to have seen them) can attest to that as well.[/quote]

Hell. Around here the blacks mostly eat fried chicken and watermelon... that's just how it is. And in many Asian countries, not only do kids spend more time in school generally, but math and science are more emphasized in the curriculum... so obviously, they develop more precise deductive reasoning skills than whites. There's a reason why Jews and Asians generally have higher IQ's.

And about the Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays thing... People need to just stfu and deal with it... sure, when it comes to the government.. I don't think they should be promoting theism... but private businesses should be able to do whatever they want, regardless of whether or not it's right. I'm not Christian, and I'd prefer a non-Christian greeting, but I don't care enough to say anything.

Sooner or later people are going to start suing people for wearing a shirt they don't like.

"OH MY GOSH, HE DID NOT JUST WALK IN FRONT OF ME WITH THAT SANTA SHIRT ON!!!"

It will happen, just wait.

[quote name='Rags']Sooner or later people are going to start suing people for wearing a shirt they don't like.

"OH MY GOSH, HE DID NOT JUST WALK IN FRONT OF ME WITH THAT SANTA SHIRT ON!!!"

It will happen, just wait.[/QUOTE]Is this some war on christmas jazz?

Was Rosie's joke a racial stereotype? Yes.

I'm asian and do I feel like I need an apology from her? No.

And yes, I think she's a moron, but that would be true with or without that clip.

[quote name='gunm']Was Rosie's joke a racial stereotype? Yes.

I'm asian and do I feel like I need an apology from her? No.

And yes, I think she's a moron, but that would be true with or without that clip.[/QUOTE]I didn't watch the whole thing. What's a racial stereotype about it? Did she use her fingers to pull her eyes into slants or what? Because again, a language can't be racial any more than any other learned behavior.

[quote name='jmcc']I didn't watch the whole thing. What's a racial stereotype about it? Did she use her fingers to pull her eyes into slants or what? Because again, a language can't be racial any more than any other learned behavior.[/quote]

Yes, she made fun of the language. It is culturally insensitive, and do I have to explain why? She is not going to China and talk like that without expecting a negative reaction.

Keep in mind that I didn't call her a racist. We're all a little culturally insensitive at times, I think, but most of us don't mean any harm by it. Does it make it right? I'm not here to answer that.

As for the OP, comedians make fun of languages and dialects all the time, and it's generally funny. The joke itself, though, I've heard variations done many times over so it wasn't funny to me.

[quote name='gunm']Yes, she made fun of the language. It is culturally insensitive, and do I have to explain why? She is not going to China and talk like that without expecting a negative reaction.

Keep in mind that I didn't call her a racist. We're all a little culturally insensitive at times, I think, but most of us don't mean any harm by it. Does it make it right? I'm not here to answer that.

As for the OP, comedians make fun of languages and dialects all the time, and it's generally funny. The joke itself, though, I've heard variations done many times over so it wasn't funny to me.[/QUOTE]It's not a cultural thing, though. Anyone can learn Chinese. It's like saying that making fun of basketball is offensive to African-Americans. Just because a large percentage of players in the NBA happen to be black doesn't make the activity specific to them. Same thing here. Just because most people who speak Chinese are from China doesn't automatically make it a racial trait. She's ignorant, which is offensive enough, but there's no racial issue here.

Jesus Christ !
This got a little out of hand. Ok, I admit I got a little offended but that's cause I'm Asian myself..hell my cousin sent me the damn link. I don't watch the view...no man does.

I wasn't really offended by the joke itself but its the fact that it came out of Rosie O Donnell's mouth. I would care less if Conan or Dave Chappelle said it. I remember Sarah Silverman said something about chinese people being chinks and that was a much bigger deal than this and I didn't care.
It's gonna take a bit more than this to piss me off...I work at a police station for God's sake. I see crack heads in the holding cells giving me hard ass looks all the time...hearing a unfunny joke isn't going make me a sad panda.

Relax folks, its the holidays.:D
I only made this thread cause I had nothing better to do at work.

Give me a break.

I was talking to some ppl at work who speak hindi the other day, joking because all I hear is "da-da-da-da-da-Pizza Hut-da-da" but can guess from the English words that slip in whats going on.

Rosie was just trying to add some theater to that concept, and it totally sucked because Rosie sucks.

Wasn't Rosie the one who jumped down Kelly Ripa's throat because Kelly told Clay Aiken to "get your hand away from my face I don't know where it's been"

All these people getting offended better get a freaking clue. BS like this just proves to me that America is backwards about race - people here talk the talk but stats show that they don't walk the walk. It's way easier to get offended by someone else's mindless comment then it is to go out and actually do something about the racial disparities that still exist.

As a Chinese-American, I do find it insenstive since it demeans the language of my culture (I consider language a significant part of someone's heritage, I don't understand how you could argue otherwise) but am I'm not going to make a federal case over it. I don't think it's out of line to point that out but it's not in the class of Kramer's meltdown.

I'm all for any law that bans Christmas music being played in public.

It wasn't too bad when it was a week or two before Christmas, but now I have to start hearing that shit in NO-fuckING-VEMBER when I go to the goddamned grocery store.

Down with Christmas music. I don't give a damn how many ways you can remix the same 6 songs, its still fucking annoying!

[quote name='jmcc']It's not a cultural thing, though. Anyone can learn Chinese. It's like saying that making fun of basketball is offensive to African-Americans. Just because a large percentage of players in the NBA happen to be black doesn't make the activity specific to them. Same thing here. Just because most people who speak Chinese are from China doesn't automatically make it a racial trait. She's ignorant, which is offensive enough, but there's no racial issue here.[/quote]

No, I'm not saying language is a racial trait per se. And I don't agree with that analogy.

And again, I'm not saying there's necessarily a racial issue a la Michael Richards--I'm saying that Rosie's joke was culturally insensitive, but more than that, it's been played out.

At least we can agree that Rosie is ignorant. :)

bread's done
Back