Router/modem advice to use with Time Warner

tukai

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I may be switching from U-verse to TWC cable soon for my internet. Instead of using their router and paying a monthly fee, I am considering buying my own. Could people who know routers please give some advice on which one to buy?

We have a 1 story house and 5 people who play a lot of online games at the same time and/or are streaming movies on netflix constantly. What would be the recommended one to buy that won't cost too much?

With TWC, I have

modem: SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

router: ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router

The modem is going to depend on your area. But a DOCSIS 3.0 modem should do. There should be a list on there site or just google.

For a router there is a lot of choices. But for something that is good for 5 people to constantly be connected and using lots of data your probably going to be spending atleast $100 bucks and an "ac" router. There are a few decent tp-link routers that you can get around $50 but you will usually need to put another firmware on them. Asus routers are good. Just make sure you update the firmware. Because most of there routers were never good at launch from crappy firmware.

The one thing I noticed with routers is if you buy cheap routers they usually give out after a year or so. Or you constantly have to unplug them to clear the memory on them. Since they don't include very much ram. So usually getting a good one gives you less problems over the long run

If you or your roommates have T-mobile postpaid you can get the Asus ac68 router from them for free/$25. It's a really good router that goes for $150+ new or around $110 used. If you have the option to connect some of the devices "wired" you should do that since its better than wireless.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back