Roxio Game Capture Device - $71.99 + FS + 10% off coupon code

Passenger57

CAG Veteran
This is my first ever deal post. It's the new Roxio Game Capture Device (normally $100) for $79. Signed up to notified when it finally was released and they sent me an email with a link with the discounted price. - http://email.roxio.com/ct/4083039:4900743668:m:1:405238103:BFF3B227F941BD1CF46EF374BB168174

Then, I when I got my confirmation email for my purchase they gave me a 10% off coupon code to use on my next purchase - FRIENDS10. Your total should be - $71.99 + free USPS shipping + $5 tax.

---
Here's a review of the device that I found online, too. - http://gamerfront.net/2011/03/review-roxio-game-cap-console-capture-device/7082

[quote name='mrwogs2']The one major thing that is a bummer about this device is that it only records at 480p, not 720 or 1080.[/QUOTE]

ha! I was coming in here just to point that out. Way to release something 5 years behind the times..my guess is this device is a test to see how many the sell..what the interest is. Then, next year, the HD model will come out for $100 more and everyone will realize they need that after fooling around with this one..but still, I think any hardcore gamer who wants to capture their own footage, has probably already figured out a setup to achieve this already anyways..

Pretty good deal for a product that just came out. I don't think the the 480 is that big is a deal on youtube. I would think most people watch them in 480 anyways.

[quote name='token2k6']ha! I was coming in here just to point that out. Way to release something 5 years behind the times..my guess is this device is a test to see how many the sell..what the interest is. Then, next year, the HD model will come out for $100 more and everyone will realize they need that after fooling around with this one..but still, I think any hardcore gamer who wants to capture their own footage, has probably already figured out a setup to achieve this already anyways..[/QUOTE]

AKA Happauge HP DVR. I got one for 169 shipped from B and H photo video. Better off spending the extra $$ and doing it rite. I wasted my money on a pinnacle capture.

Last edited by a moderator:
I capture video thru my pc but its starting to be annoying since the pc is like 7 years old and very sluggish. I might consider this but will be mad if an updated hd version comes out soon.

Yea, that's pretty much how I feel.

The exclusion of HDMI and 1080i/p is lamentable; however, it could be a very good release strategy - similar to how apple releases their products... withhold one or two 'gotchas' for version 2.

In any case, I think I'll go order this: http://www.amazon.com/EasyCAP-DC60-Creator-Capture-High-quality/dp/B002H3BSCM

At 10$ I'll have less buyer's remorse int he event I don't use it as much as I think I will.

[quote name='Passenger57']So I got mine and been playing with it for a few days now.. I like it. Of course an HD-PVR would be better but for $70 I'm pretty satisfied. Here's a video that I posted using it if anyone is interested - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6fNbSCckMM[/QUOTE]

So I'm curious, while using this, do you have it set up where you can still play on the television and it just records to your computer? I've been looking for an easy way to do this for a while and if this will let me do it for the 70 bucks, I'm all for it.

[quote name='Glomerate']So I'm curious, while using this, do you have it set up where you can still play on the television and it just records to your computer? I've been looking for an easy way to do this for a while and if this will let me do it for the 70 bucks, I'm all for it.[/QUOTE]

Yea you definitely still play on your TV while your computer captures the footage. The setup is really easy too.. basically its just plug and play - http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/game-capture/console/setup.html .

The only things that you really need to know before buying (these may be deal breakers for you) is that the max resolution you can play on your TV while using this is 1080i (not p) otherwise it won't recognize the signal at all, and also this device will only capture at 480p max. Like I said, if you're hardcore and want an HD capture (720 or 1080) go with an HD-PVR but it's more expensive. But if you're just gonna upload to Youtube just for fun I say 480p is more than sufficient (especially for the lower price). The software that comes with the device even simplifies the process with a button dedicated to rendering and posting your video up to Youtube automatically. Eventually I'm probably going to get an HD-PVR, but for now I think this is good enough.

^ Hope that helps.

[quote name='Passenger57']Yea you definitely still play on your TV while your computer captures the footage. The setup is really easy too.. basically its just plug and play - http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/game-capture/console/setup.html .

The only things that you really need to know before buying (these may be deal breakers for you) is that the max resolution you can play on your TV while using this is 1080i (not p) otherwise it won't recognize the signal at all, and also this device will only capture at 480p max. Like I said, if you're hardcore and want an HD capture (720 or 1080) go with an HD-PVR but it's more expensive. But if you're just gonna upload to Youtube just for fun I say 480p is more than sufficient (especially for the lower price). The software that comes with the device even simplifies the process with a button dedicated to rendering and posting your video up to Youtube automatically. Eventually I'm probably going to get an HD-PVR, but for now I think this is good enough.

^ Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

Damn I was really on the fence leaning towards getting it until I realized my tv is 1080p..is there any way I could stilll make this work?

This sure beats what I previously did to capture Burnout Paradise footage a while ago (lol used a digital camera in low light). I was looking at this but I just bought a dig cam which does 720p video for 80 bucks thanks to today's Amazon DotD.

[quote name='viisual']Yea, that's pretty much how I feel.

The exclusion of HDMI and 1080i/p is lamentable; however, it could be a very good release strategy - similar to how apple releases their products... withhold one or two 'gotchas' for version 2.

In any case, I think I'll go order this: http://www.amazon.com/EasyCAP-DC60-Creator-Capture-High-quality/dp/B002H3BSCM

At 10$ I'll have less buyer's remorse int he event I don't use it as much as I think I will.[/QUOTE]

Good luck because you will probably be waiting forever for a device that does HDMI since they use HDCP. I will verify that the HD-PVR does 720p/1080i quite well through the component cables.

[quote name='Passenger57']Yea you definitely still play on your TV while your computer captures the footage. The setup is really easy too.. basically its just plug and play - http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/game-capture/console/setup.html .

^ Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

Yes, definitely, thanks for the help!
I ordered one up at 68 bucks, hopefully they will add mac support for the software or it will at least work with VLC with it's cool video selection tool.

Until then, I'll have to use my other lap top and port the video over for use in iMovie. Thanks again!

This is temping and I think I'll bite for Youtube quality. At least I won't have to play near my PC anymore and this would easily allow me to play on the mother-of-all HD displays in my house.

bread's done
Back