RPG for DS Deal

SuxoR

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm looking for a new game to buy for the DS, I have a lot of games in mind but I'm wondering what the CAG community thinks about the situation.

I'm in college so I have a lot of free time between class and on the bus, therefore I tend to beat games preeeetty fast heh :p

I want a RPG for the DS that I can pour hours and hours into

Im thinking Final Fantasy 3, Phantom Hourglass, Pokemon Pearl or Diamond, or waiting for the new Final Fantasy remake

can you guys tell me which game has the highest replay value and bang for my buck plzz tell me :]

Thanks CAG

If you like RTS's (or even just Final Fantasy) then Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings would be a good choice. The main quest doesn't require too much levelling, but by the end the optional bosses and missions do. Also I'm sure any Pokemon game will suck you in for tons of hours.

IMO I would get Phantom Hourglass. Its about 25 hours of good solid gameplay, but dont watch the last cut scene. The ending ruins the game.

FF3 is Fantastic. I leveled up my characters in almost all the classes and enjoyed every minute of it. Right now I'm playing FF4 (GBA) and enjoying the heck out of that as well. I probably should wait for the remake of FFIV on the DS, but I've always wanted to finish the original first. I'm just a sucker for sprite-based RPGs.

Have fun! The DS is truly one of the greatest game systems of all time!

I'm getting FFXII Revenant Wings through Goozex, but what I really want is Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer. Can't find that thing for cheap anywhere. Hoping one pops up on Goozex for me soon.

[quote name='JBaby']FF3 is oldschool hard and fairly long. That would be my recommendation. Custom Robo has a lot of replay...[/QUOTE]

That's a good way of describing FF3... you'll spend hours upon hours (probably half the time I played the game I was leveling up) grinding your characters levels. I honestly didn't care too much for the game but for the price (easily found for $20), it's a good pick up. Just be warned that it is pretty damn hard.

Phantom Hourglass I enjoyed very much but it was pretty short... like 15 hours unless you want to spend time doing every little thing.

So Phantom Hourglass is better but FF3 is longer & cheaper.

I would definitely suggest Pokemon over any of the others.

-FF3 took forever to see American shores for a reason (I got it at launch and quickly came to regret it, not because its hard, but because it is just an absolute chore to play. I say that and I enjoy Etrian and Baroque. That should tell you how much of a pain FF3 is.)
-Revenant Wings is pretty but not much fun to play, though I don't have a lot of experience with it.
-Hourglass is really cool but most people come to loathe the core dungeon. You'll enjoy the game immensely until you have to visit it for the 3rd time.

FF4 would be a worthy pickup when it drops, but Pokemon is going to be your absolute best bet if you want metric tons of longevity from your game. Not much even comes close, what with 490 different party members currently available, as well as infinite combinations of skills and strategies. Breeding alone has consumed hundreds of hours of my life, and online play can be a blast.

Of note as well is Rondo of Swords which releases the 15th. It looks -very- promising, though I can't say for sure if it will be good. New game and all :p

Im guessing Pokemon would be the best deal since it has online and a lot of variety
unless I can find one cheaper but I'll most likely go with Goozex

thanks guys if you have more suggestions keep posting^^

[quote name='elchbulle']Also when you are done with one of those definitely check out Etrian Odyssey, you won't be disappointed![/QUOTE]

I was just going to say this, but someone beat me to it. so yeah. Etrian Odyssey will eat up huge amounts of time.

I own Magical Starsign, FF3, FF CC Ring of Fates, Dragon Quest Joker, Dragon Quest Rocket Slime, Izuna legend of unemployed ninja, Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer.

Some better then others but none of them are bad.

While not a true RPG it is very good and I liked the story of Lunar Knights.

Also that Epic DS game Orcs and Elves is very good actually for the $20 price tag.

And of course there's Summon Night coming soon, as well as FF IV, Dragon Quest 4, Rondo of Swords and a lot more.

I wouldn't really consider it any RPG, but Phantom Hourglass is great, particularly if you already like zelda. The controls are weird at first, but after a couple hours, it feels natural.

I'll recommend Pokémon, too. It is highly addictive. Especially if you can find someone to play with like a neighbor or league or something.

I just picked up Children of Mana DS and FFV GBA at TRU for 12$ a piece with their current sale. Worth it at the really cheap prices.

I ordered Dragon Quest Rocket Slime from Amazon because it was cheap and it came today.

What people have said before is true. It's got a lot of references to RPG's of old in the Square Enix Library and is a really funny well made game.

I recomend it fully. I was definetly a doubter and didn't beleive the positive buzz but it is true. Give it a try.

bread's done
Back