RPG recommendations

Naterrs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
70 (100%)
I hope this is the right area to post something like this.. If not, please let me know. I was wondering if anyone knew of any games that have a system like the one in Final Fantasy 9, where you are able to use the skills of a weapon you have equipped, but to learn it you need to gain certain points in battles. Something like Final Fantasy Tactics would work too, where you equip a job to learn various skills, basically the same deal. Anyway, I'd really appreciate some game recommendations for any of these systems: PS1, PS2, GBA, DS Lite, PSP, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox, and Xbox 360. Thanks!

Yeah, Losy Odyssey had a pretty sweet combo of weapons/rings to use when fighting. You have an aim system that allows for extra damage on an attack. If you get a perfect attack you get a lot more damage towards end game. This was close to Squall's gunblade in FF8.

You don't get effects from your weapons, but the rings equipped with them is where they come from.

There is a pretty fun feature where you can create rings.

**It's been awhile since I played the game, but its pretty accurate. I found the game incredibly fun and it didn't hurt that Hironobu Sakaguchi, and Nobuo Uematsu were involved in development.

Sakaguchi is the granddaddy of all Final Fantasy games
Uematsu is the composer of most of Square's hit games as well as the lead man of his band, the Black Mages.

[quote name='chibamm']Tales of Vesperia[/QUOTE]
I also have that one but have not tried it, do you know if the other Tales series have anything like that as well? I was thinking of picking up Tales of Legendia because the other title for PS2 is a wee bit expensive, though it's gotten better reviews

Valkyrie Profile 1(PS1 or PSP remake) or the sequel (PS2) may be your cup of tea.

Final Fantasy 12 also gives a lot of freedom to make your characters efficient at whatever you want.

I thought Lost Odyssey was a lot better game than it was given credit for, but that's just my opinion. Some folks would agree, other would call me an idiot, lol.

I've owned Tales of Vesperia for some time now and have never removed it from the case. I can say that most Tales games are pretty fun, but I'd rate them a solid 7/10. I put about 15 hours into Tales of Legendia and found it pretty fun, but was playing a lot of MMO's so I got side tracked.

A good friend played most of the Tales games and always seemed to enjoy them well. From what I read, Tales of Symphonia was well received if you have a game cube.

I wouldn't recommend any of the older PS1 Tales games.

Myself, I'll recommend Star Ocean: The Second Story for the ps1 (was re-released as second evolution on psp). I didn't play the remake, but the original is probably in my top 5 RPGs of all time.

Thanks for the help everyone. I've always loved the mood and setting of many a FF game, but 9 gave me real incentive to play and equip every weapon to learn every skill. I can be a bit anal about collecting when it comes to certain RPGs :p

Have you tried the Disgaea series? Personally, I loathe them, but my wife is a big fan. The tactical gameplay might be reminiscent of FFT, there class system/reincarnation system is nice, complemented by the ability to learn skills not of your class based on using subordinates, and the item world function allows for some great item customization. (this would be nothing like FF9 mind you, but it might appeal to the desire to do so much). A lot of people enjoy these games, although I will warn you that they are for everyone (myself included.)

Also, for more tactical RPGs you might also look into Tactics Ogre (PS1 or GBA, GBA being cheaper and easier to find), Hoshigami (PS1 or DS, PS1 being the perferred option), any of the Fire Emblem games (for character micromanagement), Jeanne D'Arc (do yourself a favor and play this one). I might have more to offer in general, but I am in class and no-where near my collection right now.

Good game selection advice Kreutz.

I could never get into Disgaea either. I'm just not the type to put in an extra 30 hours unlocked new weapon skills. I will say that Disgaea was pretty innovative with its weapon skills. You'd basically warp into your weapon and go through levels to unlock new stats in the weapon itself.

Again, I never played a lot of Disgaea, but have read a lot of reviews, and opinions, and most say that one was the best, two was good, but the PS3 ones aren't that great.

Hoshigami was a little boring for me, but I'm not insanely into strategy games.

Fire Emblem games are fun sans the idea that if someone dies on your team they're gone for good.

Jeanne D'Arc was fun. I think its one of the games I enjoyed the most on PSP.

I'm also a fan of Jeanne. I haven't quite beat it yet, but I'm having a great time. I haven't heard a lot of great things about Hoshigami, but I'll definitely take a closer look. According to a reviewer on GameFAQs it's just like Fire Emblem in that once a character's dead, you can't bring them back to life, so that's a bit of a pain in the ass. Nothing to dissuade me from trying it out though. I have the original Disgaea on PS2, and I luckily snagged Disgaea 2 for PSP in a deal a while back before it skyrocketed to outrageous prices (read: $35 used), but I have a few other games I'd like to finish first.

I can not recommend the Fire Emblems enough, especially after they got rid of their bizarre inventory restrictions. The one-death-and-you're-out forces you to spend a lot of time doing serious risk/reward analysis.

75% chance to hit on my attack for a kill. If he survives, he'll counter for 5, leaving me with 10. But he's got a killing edge, so there's the 17% chance of a fatal critical on his counter, so...

The correct answer, of course, depends on which Fire Emblem you're playing. In general, though, any situation can be solved with sufficient application of Hector/Jill/Amelia/Ike.

bread's done
Back