RPG Thread V is really...grindy

chibamm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hopefully it will pay off in some Ultimate equipment in the end.

I've put about 35 hours into Persona 4 and only 5 into Crimson Gem Saga. I'm really liking Persona 4. The game seems far better balanced than FES was, maybe even tilted more towards the development of the Social Links. Crimson Gem Saga has lived up to my expectations that I have heard from on this board. It takes a very light hearted approach to the story and the battle, the whole game just feels light and is almost the perfect RPG to play on the go and in brief spurts.

I bought FFXIII last weekend but left it at home, thinking I'd need the week at school to finish Bioshock 2.

I finished it Tuesday. >_>

Excited to get home and start it.

I like FFXIII but it got very boring a couple times. I really hated finishing a cut scene, getting control back, and then....going into another cut scene. It was my main complaint with FFX and it seems to be worse in XIII.

Been playing Demon's Souls non stop. Soul Level 120 in NG+++. Anyone else playing this?? Or am I 6 months too late...

[quote name='depascal22']I like FFXIII but it got very boring a couple times. I really hated finishing a cut scene, getting control back, and then....going into another cut scene. It was my main complaint with FFX and it seems to be worse in XIII.[/QUOTE]

But the interactive, fun gameplay makes up for it right? (or so I've heard).

Ewww, I hate grindy RPGs. We'll see how much time I put into this one...

Also, love me some DS. Was ~level 80ish after my first playthrough. Gonna NG+ over summer (my buddy has my copy at the moment). Very much looking forward to that NG+ run.

[quote name='guynextshore']But the interactive, fun gameplay makes up for it right? (or so I've heard).[/QUOTE]

Here's my problem with the gameplay. I spent the entire time keeping tabs on the bottom third of the screen. Everyone that watched the game was ooohing and aaahing while I'm trying to gauge the right time to paradigm shift.

You wanna see some grinding just wait until I get a hold of that pillowcase. RAWR!

feature_012610_001.jpg

Seeing that mouse pad just makes me laugh every time. If you want to talk about April Fools jokes, that should have been one.

And now back to Persona 4.

Still playing Rune Factory Frontier, but getting near the end, I think. Just wish that Little Crystals weren't so damned rare - I have awesome equipment to make!

Also started Pokemon Platinum last Thursday, but haven't gotten very far (don't have the first gym badge yet, though I think I'm close to the point where I can access the necessary gym battles). The down button on my DS Lite's d-pad has been giving me trouble for awhile now; bought a triwing screwdriver and hope to fix the problem soon. I think all the RPGs, what with their menus that have to be constantly scrolled down, have taken a toll on my poor DS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna pick up Persona 4 today I think. I'm looking forward to it. I really should get back to my Crimson Gem Saga save, but I've been playing FF VII lately when I need a portable RPG fix.

Picked up :360: Dragon Age: Origins from the EA store for 19.99 this week and have been playing it a bunch after work. I have gotten Sten in my group in part 2. It's been a blast so far and have I am really enjoying it. Though I love everything Bioware makes for the most part. I pretty much own everything they have made. Just recently beat Baldur's Gate 2 and complete watcher's keep.

Started SMT:Strange Journey. I die a lot.

I think I've already beaten more RPGs this year than I have in the past couple years.

[quote name='guynextshore']Been playing Demon's Souls non stop. Soul Level 120 in NG+++. Anyone else playing this?? Or am I 6 months too late...
[/QUOTE]

You're pretty late.

Ugh...for the second time today, I have died one floor before the boss in P4 and I haven't saved since entering the dungeon. You'd think I would have learned this lesson from P3 and P4 already.

[quote name='xHOJUx']You wanna see some grinding just wait until I get a hold of that pillowcase. RAWR!

feature_012610_001.jpg
[/QUOTE]

"Choose a bride at the end of your adventure and give birth to the hero of the next generation."

This has the potential to be really awful in a Thousand Arms, I-need-to-date-you-to-make-you-an-assistant-at-the-Spirit-Forge kind of way.
That said, I'm still tempted to try that mouse pad on for a hat!

I am playing Dragon Age: Origins still. It took my time to beat
The Spider Queen, Brood Mother, and fighting the drawfs wife in Paragon of her kind. It was hard but I beat it. I have to start helping the elves now before the final battle.
I was playing other games too because this game takes time to beat. I finally was able to get Mass Effect 2 but I want to play Mass Effect I to understand the complex story again. Lastly, I was able to buy Tales of Vesperia for under $20 which is good because it was not easy trying to find a good bargin for this game until know.

can someone explain to me why/if I should get Xenogears? I watched a video on it and was like meh.. I am the type of person who likes FFXII and Disgaea so that should be all you need to know.

Really pleased with how Final Fantasy XIII turned out. About to start Resonance of Fate. I played a couple of hours when I needed a break from FFXIII and it looks interesting. The combat system seems a little overwhelming at the beginning, and seems that it will get old after a while, but we'll see!

Also Persona 4 is awesome. It's one of my top 3 games that I've played over the past couple of years.

Meh, haven't played Xenogears in years, so not fresh in my mind, but I remember really liking the graphics (I'm a sucker for 2d sprites) and the combo fighting system, but being generally disappointed in a lot of the game, especially the story, mainly due to how much a couple of my friends hyped it. If you can find it cheap, go for it. It's pretty fun, but I wasn't overly amazed. Also, disc 2 is essentially a visual novel for the most part, as they ran out of time/budget or something.

[quote name='phantasyx']can someone explain to me why/if I should get Xenogears? I watched a video on it and was like meh.. I am the type of person who likes FFXII and Disgaea so that should be all you need to know.[/QUOTE]
Excellent story, great character designs, and a non-traditional battle system. Plus you get giant robots! Translation isn't perfect though, and you need to have the patience for scrolling text.

[quote name='pete5883']Translation isn't perfect though, and you need to have the patience for scrolling text.[/QUOTE]

Particularly the clearly unfinished second half of the game with Volton and the giant walls of text.

But the gameplay makes up for it.

Xeno is still pretty pricey online, so I think I'll just wait for a decent trade or deal on Craigslist. It has been on my list of games to buy for a while now though.

Though it does have flaws, I think Xenogears has the best story of any RPG I've played.

Just finished my 2nd playthrough of Vesperia last night. What a great ending. Now I have to decide if I want to stick with RoF or pull out and play ME2 instead.

Sakura Wars arrived today - the last of a great RPG library? If so, my PS2 collection is like Jesus - it looks like it died on Good Friday but the faithful believe otherwise.

Finished the second dungeon in Strange Journey and had my first mudo-related game over. I'm starting to wonder when my door unlocking ability and such is going to get upgraded.

[quote name='Magus8472']Particularly the clearly unfinished second half of the game with Volton and the giant walls of text.

But the gameplay makes up for it.[/QUOTE]
I think the style of Xenosaga proves that disc 2 of Xenogears was intentional, but whatever.

[quote name='Rodimus']How long is chapter 13 of FFXIII? I just want it to be over with, I'm getting tired of it.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty brief. IIRC, it's shorter than Chapter 12.

[quote name='Rodimus']How long is chapter 13 of FFXIII? I just want it to be over with, I'm getting tired of it.[/QUOTE]
Wow dude, your already on Chapter 13? I've been stuck on 11 for a while now.

any opinions on Sakura Wars [the new So Long My Love]? got it and played about 1 hr
and thought JEEZ this is stupid! and I like JRPGs (yeah this is SRPG). but, SMT:Strange Journey is great! (and hard!)

[quote name='pete5883']I think the style of Xenosaga proves that disc 2 of Xenogears was intentional, but whatever.[/QUOTE]

That just makes it worse.

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']Wow dude, your already on Chapter 13? I've been stuck on 11 for a while now.[/QUOTE]

I'm only on 6, I think.

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']Wow dude, your already on Chapter 13? I've been stuck on 11 for a while now.[/QUOTE]

There's people who beat it in a matter of days. I don't think me being on the final chapter is too crazy. But I haven't played all that much in the past week. Maybe 30 minutes here and there. For an RPG it's really not that long.

[quote name='depascal22']Here's my problem with the gameplay. I spent the entire time keeping tabs on the bottom third of the screen. Everyone that watched the game was ooohing and aaahing while I'm trying to gauge the right time to paradigm shift.[/QUOTE]

I can see where that could be a problem. But it's not like they didn't really give the player enough time to appreciate the graphics and visuals of the battle game play. The inclusion of ATB made rpg's have that ratio of visualization to micro manage - Would you say 25:75?

What are the turn based, strategy rpgs for the PSP? The new roommate has one so I thought I'd look into it. No ports (FFT, Disgaea, Yggdra Union, etc). I suspect that outside of Jeanne D'Arc, its just gonna be the likes of Idea Factory, but I thought I'd check.

Just beat Rune Factory Frontier. Aside from the cumbersome Runey system and the presence of loading screens (really, why do we still have to put up with loading screens?), best Rune Factory yet!

[quote name='Rodimus']There's people who beat it in a matter of days. I don't think me being on the final chapter is too crazy. But I haven't played all that much in the past week. Maybe 30 minutes here and there. For an RPG it's really not that long.[/QUOTE]

I've fallen into the same boat as you. I've been on chapter 13
for the past two weeks
and haven't beat the game yet. I've been too busy the past couple of weeks to actually have time to finish the game out.

Has anyone here played Resonance of Fate? I'm in chapter 3, right now but I'm afraid I'm starting to lose interest already. Does it get any better and do they add any different dynamics to the combat as the game goes on? Questioning whether or not I should stick with it or just send it back to Gamefly.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']What are the turn based, strategy rpgs for the PSP? The new roommate has one so I thought I'd look into it. No ports (FFT, Disgaea, Yggdra Union, etc). I suspect that outside of Jeanne D'Arc, its just gonna be the likes of Idea Factory, but I thought I'd check.[/QUOTE]

Well, you've crossed off the only ones I've played (FFT, Disgaea) but I wouldn't write them off completely. FFT is an amazing, with a couple additions as well as absolutely GORGEOUS CG cutscenes. Really wish this art style would be used for more CG. Disgaea's also got a number of enhancements, not the least of which is Etna mode. If you like SRPGs and even if you've already sunk 200 hours into Disgaea, it and its sequel are enhanced with extras, so may be worth looking into.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I've fallen into the same boat as you. I've been on chapter 13
for the past two weeks
and haven't beat the game yet. I've been too busy the past couple of weeks to actually have time to finish the game out.[/QUOTE]

A couple times last week I started up my game, get into a fight, and say, "I really don't feel like playing this right now." then shut it off. I feel like I'm just playing to get it over with.

Maybe I'll poor myself a stiff glass of whiskey and rip off chapter 13 like a nasty band-aid.

I put Persona 4 down pretty much near the very end (after finding out who the real killer is and fighting him as a boss, though still haven't actually beat him) b/c I got a PS3. Every time I think about going back to finish it, I realize I would just much rather play my PS3 games (first Demon's Souls, now inFamous). I'm realizing I might never finish it, which is sad.

bread's done
Back