RPG Thread X will never be localized because you'd rather buy another generic FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='bvharris']It's not really. They made some design choices in Suikoden IV which were not good, and the game suffered for it. Most of those were corrected in V.

It's not worthy of the Suikoden name, and it's certainly the worst in the series, but it's still at least an average RPG, far from terrible.[/QUOTE]
OK, I'll accept this. If it was called something like Quest of Heroes and on PSP, it would be perfectly average.

I finished the damn game without even realizing it. "Oh, that's it?" was my exact response. Didn't even realize I was there until I fought the last boss.

At least it has 480p!!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Sue ee koh den ?[/QUOTE]
This.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']
I finished the damn game without even realizing it. "Oh, that's it?" was my exact response. Didn't even realize I was there until I fought the last boss.
[/QUOTE]

I haven't played it in years, but I vaguely recall having a similar reaction. It does end kind of abruptly.

suikoden is 5 japanese syllables
水滸伝 - すいこでん

su(like the name, Sue)
i (long E vowel sound)
ko
de
n

place the accent on SU.
SUikoden.

with that said i still pronounce sakura's name in SF4 the american way so that people don't get confused.
"yo i play SAkura."
"who?"
"oh i mean, sakooooora."

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']And that's my English lesson for the day[/QUOTE]

That's Japanese actually. ;)

[quote name='kainzero']suikoden is 5 japanese syllables
水滸伝 - すいこでん

su(like the name, Sue)
i (long E vowel sound)
ko
de
n

place the accent on SU.
SUikoden.
[/QUOTE]

How is the "de" and the "n" pronounced as two syllables? Is it still "den" or should the "n" be its own distinct syllable? Su-ee-ko-de-n?

[quote name='bvharris']How is the "de" and the "n" pronounced as two syllables? Is it still "den" or should the "n" be its own distinct syllable? Su-ee-ko-de-n?[/QUOTE]
I think kainzero meant to say "phoneme" ;)

(n) is pronounced much the same as it is in English, and is used in conjunction with syllables; it can't be a syllable itself since it doesn't have a vowel equivalent in Romanji. So it would be Su - i (ee) - ko - den.

[quote name='blueshinra']I think kainzero meant to say "phoneme" ;)

(n) is pronounced much the same as it is in English, and is used in conjunction with syllables; it can't be a syllable itself since it doesn't have a vowel equivalent in Romanji. So it would be Su - i (ee) - ko - den.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that makes sense.

By the way, this thread is much better when we're discussing interesting stuff like this rather than posting hyperbolic and subjective lists of what's better than what or discussing FFXIII for the 90th time. :D

[quote name='bvharris']Ah, that makes sense.

By the way, this thread is much better when we're discussing interesting stuff like this rather than posting hyperbolic and subjective lists of what's better than what or discussing FFXIII for the 90th time. :D[/QUOTE]

You had to bring it up again....and you're the one that doesn't want us talking about it ;)

Reminds me of the quarter I took Japanese in college as a fine arts elective. I was pretty good at it. The teacher actually got mad and stopped talking to me when she found out that I wasn't continuing after that single quarter. Wish I remembered more of the language.

[quote name='blueshinra']I think kainzero meant to say "phoneme" ;)

(n) is pronounced much the same as it is in English, and is used in conjunction with syllables; it can't be a syllable itself since it doesn't have a vowel equivalent in Romanji. So it would be Su - i (ee) - ko - den.[/QUOTE]

I think ん (n) is pronounced like an M by itself. In songs etc, where they separate the n, you'll hear the distinct "mmmmm". For example, "honto" becomes "ho" "mmmmmmm" "tou". Not sure if it's officially that way, or their brains just automatically elongate it to the M sound.

Edit: Don't quote me on this, other than the fact that they do elongate it to an "M" sound.

[quote name='elessar123']I think ん (n) is pronounced like an M by itself. In songs etc, where they separate the n, you'll hear the distinct "mmmmm". For example, "honto" becomes "ho" "mmmmmmm" "tou". Not sure if it's officially that way, or their brains just automatically elongate it to the M sound.[/QUOTE]
it has to do with how with your mouth moves to the next syllable (phoneme? i dunno, i'm not a cunning linguist) whether it forms an m or an n.

the best example is 新聞: しゅんぶん
the middle ん sounds very much like an m sound and it feels a bit unnatural making it sound like n.

i'm probably the only person who feels like rpg names should change to easily pronounceable english names instead of keeping their original japanese names but pronounced to english. i think it's even worse when they add suffixes like -chan or -san.

it takes me forever to process Rise as (ri - seh) instead of (rhys) along with the rest of the persona cast.

on the other hand i hate when they change perfectly good english names into other english names. why is dq6 hassan known as carver? barbara became ashlynn? meh.

[quote name='kainzero']i'm probably the only person who feels like rpg names should change to easily pronounceable english names instead of keeping their original japanese names but pronounced to english. i think it's even worse when they add suffixes like -chan or -san.[/QUOTE]

I'd be inclined to agree, except for a few cases. I know it's an anime, not an RPG, but one of my biggest peeves is renaming Meitantei Conan as Case Closed.

A lot of games were renamed, but the meaning completely changed. Secret of Mana and Etrian Odyssey comes to mind. I'll admit that Yggdrasill Labyrinth wouldn't have a catchy title, but wtf is Etrian?

Don't get me started on Qoga.

[quote name='elessar123']A lot of games were renamed, but the meaning completely changed. Secret of Mana and Etrian Odyssey comes to mind. I'll admit that Yggdrasill Labyrinth wouldn't have a catchy title, but wtf is Etrian?[/QUOTE]
The town in the first game was Etria, right? Doesn't really work for the rest of the series, but whatevs.

Also, speaking of battle themes, this thread needs moar Skies of Arcadia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an3P8otlD2A

...and Pokemon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lj16YwWrHk

really we should just have a music thread, because it's just a bunch of people posting their favorite tracks without giving a shit about anyone else's :lol:

[quote name='Rodimus']I was afraid of this. All these Youtube videos are slowing down my computer at work.[/QUOTE]

Totally, totally not a goal in all this.

When does RPG Thread XI come out?

[quote name='Indignate']When does RPG Thread XI come out?[/QUOTE]
It came out in Japan last year but Nintendo are being total bitches about localizing it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It came out in Japan last year but Nintendo are being total bitches about localizing it.[/QUOTE]

This is what I wanted to hear.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It came out in Japan last year but Nintendo are being total bitches about localizing it.[/QUOTE]

I actually laughed at this, bravo.

Better import RPG Thread XI from Europe if you want to play it in English.

[quote name='panzerfaust']really we should just have a music thread, because it's just a bunch of people posting their favorite tracks without giving a shit about anyone else's :lol:[/QUOTE]
So, time to make RPG thread 11

Also time to make VG Music Thread 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back