RPG Thread X will never be localized because you'd rather buy another generic FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely think Persona 4 is the better game, though P3P fixes a lot of the issues I had with the original P3. So as a total experience, I'd say P3P is just a hair below P4 in my eyes.

[quote name='bvharris']So as a total experience, I'd say P3P is just a hair below P4 in my eyes.[/QUOTE]
It does take away some of the charm to not have the super-deformed models acting out the cutscenes though. :(

Grabbed Lost Odyssey for $7 at my local pawn shop, will pop it in tonight. I was on the verge of doing a No Crystarium run on FFXIII so I figured this would be a better use of my time.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It does take away some of the charm to not have the super-deformed models acting out the cutscenes though. :([/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would have loved to see a model of the FemMC interacting with everyone.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Grabbed Lost Odyssey for $7 at my local pawn shop, will pop it in tonight.[/QUOTE]

Let's talk about this rather than the usual FF and Persona nonsense.

So yeah, this game is pretty good, it's like an old school FF except its...fuck!

I played LO until somewhere early on the second disc. Didn't really do much for me, it felt like someone ported Final Fantasy IV to the Final Fantasy X engine, and then did everything possible to slow the pace down to a craaaaawl.

I'm sure I'll come back to it someday.

lol ok, I won't take the hype too seriously then. if it's as poorly paced as RoF i'll be severely disappointed with people's opinions on here though.

Story is pretty good, particularly the pieces that consist of nothing but text and subtle sound effects.

I don't believe going through those are necessary for the main game and none of it really ties into the main story, but those are some of the best things about that game.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I played LO until somewhere early on the second disc. Didn't really do much for me, it felt like someone ported Final Fantasy IV to the Final Fantasy X engine, and then did everything possible to slow the pace down to a craaaaawl.

I'm sure I'll come back to it someday.[/QUOTE]

Took me a while to beat it.The first disc was slow as hell,second disc picks it up a little bit,and then disc three is when the game becomes excellent.It is worth beating though.Now the highlight of the game was the 1000 years of dreams which were excellent and the game actually brought out emotion in me which is something that FFXIII failed at totally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah LO had a slow point but once I pushed through it, the game just blew me away. I found teh slow point to be Disc 1 at hours 3-6 hours in. After that, just pure awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like Lost Odyssey is a good litmus test for whether someone still has the patience for traditional JRPGs. Games in general have gotten themselves in such a big hurry that a deliberately paced game like Lost Odyssey can definitely come as a bit of a shock to the system for a modern audience. For me, it was a breath of fresh air.

[quote name='bvharris']I feel like Lost Odyssey is a good litmus test for whether someone still has the patience for traditional JRPGs. Games in general have gotten themselves in such a big hurry that a deliberately paced game like Lost Odyssey can definitely come as a bit of a shock to the system for a modern audience. For me, it was a breath of fresh air.[/QUOTE]
I don't know, you can go back to something on the SNES now like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy IV, and it's almost shocking how streamlined and fast they are. It's really the PSX/PS2 era where JRPGs became so deliberate and dialogue-stuffed.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I don't know, you can go back to something on the SNES now like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy IV, and it's almost shocking how streamlined and fast they are. It's really the PSX/PS2 era where JRPGs became so deliberate and dialogue-stuffed.[/QUOTE]

I find FFIV a lot of things, most of them unbelievable excellent, but that's the first time I've ever heard it described as fast.

Well I'm only a few hours into FFIV but I can kind of see where he could say its fast. So far it feels like there's always something major happening and the plot is moving along quickly.

Its my first time playing it and I gotta say that so far its really good. Story really has me interested so far.

[quote name='panzerfaust']lol ok, I won't take the hype too seriously then. if it's as poorly paced as RoF i'll be severely disappointed with people's opinions on here though.[/QUOTE]

Even if you don't end up liking LO it's safe to say that it's a much better game than RoF. Like some say it has some slow parts but it's defiantly not your cookie cutter RPG so you'll most likely push through them. Combat is a a little on the slow side with loading, but random encounters are tuned down so it's not too bad. Plus as you've probably heard it has a great MC.

The first time I saw the memories I was like "WTF is this shit." But after reading a few I found them to be a great, unique addition to the game. They are extremely well written. Some almost bringing me to tears...... almost

Still waiting for Nier, so I am wandering around in Fallout 3 until it arrives. Maybe I'll pick up one of the many games I've stopped in the middle of and play that until Nier gets here next week.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I don't know, you can go back to something on the SNES now like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy IV, and it's almost shocking how streamlined and fast they are. It's really the PSX/PS2 era where JRPGs became so deliberate and dialogue-stuffed.[/QUOTE]

That's one of the things that am enjoying with Dragon Quest VIII so far,it doesn't bore you with tons of boring dialogue and the plot is moving at a good pace.

New Vegas be trolling. If you have the Wild Wasteland Perk in Old World Blues you can run into a mini-Deathclaw named Stripe. He's so small that I didn't see him... until after he killed me.

Well if it means anything, I'm really liking LO thus far at 2-3 hours in. It's a very warming RPG, if that makes any sense. Was going to play on Japanese but the English has been quite fun to listen to so I don't think I'll change it. It really does feel like a PSX era FF, and I hardly think the traditional format is obsolete -- it's just a matter of pacing.

The intro and first hour were especially cool.

Hope I can finish it within a month. I have no 360 back at school =[

LO is easily my fave JRPG this gen (not that it's got a TON of competition, but still) and even ranks highly in my overall mental list. Glad you are enjoying it!

[quote name='Rodimus']The first time I saw the memories I was like "WTF is this shit." But after reading a few I found them to be a great, unique addition to the game. They are extremely well written. Some almost bringing me to tears...... almost[/QUOTE]

A handful did bring me to tears and I ain't afraid to admit it :cool: I got the DLC just because they came with new memories! Never did Seeker of the Deep though.

Breath of Fire 4 is allegedly coming to PSN next month. I've only played the first 3 games, so I think at some point I'm going to have to give this a go.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/30/breath-of-fire-4-is-set-to-heat-up-psn-in-august/

I think in a perfect world, there would be a Suikoden 6, Wild Arms 6 and Breath of Fire 6.
Does anyone else think it's a conspiracy that all these titles ended with the same number of entries (if you exclude the side games)?

[quote name='jello44']It's strange Atlus hasn't announced any sort of pre-order or limited edition bonuses yet.

Then again, it doesn't come out until 9/20 so there is still time, maybe they're putting the final touches on something.

Or maybe not. Eh, doesn't matter, still picking it up at release.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='pete5883']Atlus still has Catherine to talk up. Once that's out, I'm sure they'll start talking about P2 and its bonuses.[/QUOTE]
See, what'd I say? 2 days after Catherine:

p2p_faithful_cdunveil_11a.jpg

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Breath of Fire 4 is allegedly coming to PSN next month. I've only played the first 3 games, so I think at some point I'm going to have to give this a go.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/30/breath-of-fire-4-is-set-to-heat-up-psn-in-august/

I think in a perfect world, there would be a Suikoden 6, Wild Arms 6 and Breath of Fire 6.
Does anyone else think it's a conspiracy that all these titles ended with the same number of entries (if you exclude the side games)?[/QUOTE]

It's a fun game told in a bit different way than it's predecessors which is interesting.

Currently I'm just happy they made a Suikoden DS game.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Breath of Fire 4 is allegedly coming to PSN next month. I've only played the first 3 games, so I think at some point I'm going to have to give this a go.

Does anyone else think it's a conspiracy that all these titles ended with the same number of entries (if you exclude the side games)?[/QUOTE]

I don't understand the love for the Breath of Fire series. Having only played the third game I found it painfully average,but the characters were decent though.

[quote name='pete5883']See, what'd I say? 2 days after Catherine:

p2p_faithful_cdunveil_11a.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's great except why hasn't anyone told Amazon yet?

So Innocent Sin is the one we didn't get, and we need to track down a copy of Eternal Punishment on PS1 if we want to be able to play them both right (at least as of now)? Cool beans. I did not like Persona 1, but would be willing to give it a shot.

And BoF 4 is the only one I've played, but I absolutely loved it.

[quote name='Rodimus']
The first time I saw the memories I was like "WTF is this shit." But after reading a few I found them to be a great, unique addition to the game. They are extremely well written. Some almost bringing me to tears...... almost[/QUOTE]

I won't lie. The game had me bawling on multiple occasions.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Well if it means anything, I'm really liking LO thus far at 2-3 hours in. It's a very warming RPG, if that makes any sense. Was going to play on Japanese but the English has been quite fun to listen to so I don't think I'll change it. It really does feel like a PSX era FF, and I hardly think the traditional format is obsolete -- it's just a matter of pacing.

The intro and first hour were especially cool.

Hope I can finish it within a month. I have no 360 back at school =[[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I definitely recommend leaving the voices to English, and that is a rare thing to say. Jansen is especially awesome with delivery. And if you're liking the game so far, that is only a good sign. The game really only gets better as you go on. The game really had me in love with it by the third disc. And the fourth disc is where the sidequests and optional bosses are, so don't miss out on those if you make it that far.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Built a new gaming PC today. Going to hopefully install The Witcher 2 if not tonight, tomorrow. Going to see what all the hype is about.[/QUOTE]

Get ready for a long tutorial. Witcher 2 likes to make sure it fully integrates you for the first hour. I have heard a bunch of people quit right then but missed out on a fun experience.

LO is fantastic because it proves that JRPGs can be more than fucking kids saving the world. I really need to finish it. It consumed me for like two weeks and then I got distracted. I should throw it in this week/next weekend.

[quote name='Halo05']LO is fantastic because it proves that JRPGs can be more than fucking kids saving the world. I really need to finish it. It consumed me for like two weeks and then I got distracted. I should throw it in this week/next weekend.[/QUOTE]

Though it did still include a couple of kids trying to save the world for good measure. ;)

Just finished up Catherine, and while certainly not an RPG, it definitely felt more and more like a MegaTen game the more I played it. I really enjoyed it. :D

Argh, I totally want to rent Catherine... but must finish at least a couple of my current games first, lol.

... or will I?

I've had a little bit of an oldschool itch this last week, but wanted to play something I never touched just for a fresh perspective. So I got Threads of Fate (PS1) and Terranigma (SNES)

Threads of Fate - At first a charming run of the mill game with a drop of Pokemon thrown in. I was diggin' it for awhile but after a few hours I realized it has a one big technical problem that comes up again and again and again .... platforming done annoyingly bad. I can tolerate a few poorly done platforming levels thrown in for kicks but GREAT SCOTT this thing tries to be a Mario game way more than it should. I cant play this any more, it's that bad. I wish it just stuck with the action RPG element but Floating Runner had better platforming than this. It just pissed me off too much.

Terranigma - How do I begin but with WTF took me long. I only just beat the first 5 towers and holy Jesus on a Cheeto it's fuckin fantastic. Great puzzles, combat and for a SNES game an interesting story. It's like I'm play an oldschool Zelda game for the first time and I couldn't be happier. I'll be back with comments after playing some more.

Had to put the final Archdemon battle from Dragon Age on Easy mode. (As I did for most bosses). Even then it took me numerous numerous tries and i ended up just slamming him with ballistas from afar for 90% of the battle.

I probably wasnt very good at managing my party's 'tactics'. I just let them attack and do their own thing.

[quote name='Jest']Starting Demon Souls. As the worst gamer in this thread I will let you guys know the first time I rage.[/QUOTE]

Go with Royalty for your first time. They get a ranged magic attack with pretty much kills everything in the first area with one hit.

[quote name='Jest']Starting Demon Souls. As the worst gamer in this thread I will let you guys know the first time I rage.[/QUOTE]

Ugh that game, I managed to get passed the first level after a few deaths. The second level totally owned me though.

[quote name='momouchi']Ugh that game, I managed to get passed the first level after a few deaths. The second level totally owned me though.[/QUOTE]

I started off having a bit of trouble with the game. I tried two classes, Soilder and I think Knight, can't really remember and had a terrible time getting through the game.

I was about to just say fuck it and try another game; but I figured what the hell and tried one more time. I looked up some guides just to get some sort of starting line and I saw one that said to start with the Royalty class, which should have no trouble getting through the first area on it's own. Managed to get through the first area without any problems.

Then, it said to go to area 4-1. There is a sword in there that can be equipped by the Royalty class early on. It's pretty damn strong and can take out most enemies in a few hits, you just have to get by these annoying skeletons, who like to roll and duck out of the way.

I did just that and had a much easier time getting through the game, it was still pretty damn hard; but doing that made the ride smoother.

Grr... There was a message on the floor beside a lady that said she had a good item. So I killed her. And nothing dropped. Then I loaded the last save and she was still dead. fuck this game.

[quote name='Jest']Grr... There was a message on the floor beside a lady that said she had a good item. So I killed her. And nothing dropped. Then I loaded the last save and she was still dead. fuck this game.[/QUOTE]

haha Yeah.. it autosaves everything. So you can't go back and reload a save from a different point.

[quote name='Jest']Grr... There was a message on the floor beside a lady that said she had a good item. So I killed her. And nothing dropped. Then I loaded the last save and she was still dead. fuck this game.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to Demon's Souls.

I'll probably be starting Demons Souls next week as well, now that I finished off Dragon Age. Add me if you want to play online (co-op is a big part of this game, right?) or are willing to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back