RPG Thread XI is pretending X-2 doesn't exist

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Ryuukishi']So, to change the subject, who's interested in Dark Souls? I ask because I'm not :lol:, but Demon's Souls seems to be a pretty popular topic and especially since the sequel is cross-platform, it seems like it might take over discussion for a while if everybody's playing it.[/QUOTE]

I kinda sorta am, but I think I am going to wait for a big price drop.

I picked it up after all the hype died for it when for about 12 bucks. I thought it was decent, I had fun with it, when it wasn't kicking my ass.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']So, to change the subject, who's interested in Dark Souls? I ask because I'm not :lol:, but Demon's Souls seems to be a pretty popular topic and especially since the sequel is cross-platform, it seems like it might take over discussion for a while if everybody's playing it.[/QUOTE] I have it pre-ordered. I'm very excited. [quote name='whoknows']Now that it has checkpoints, I'm probably going to get it.[/QUOTE] People who think this are going to be sorely disappointed, I think. Demon's Souls had checkpoints too. They said Dark Souls isn't going to feature a central hub like Demon's Souls did, so clearly you're going to have checkpoints, but I think the checkpoints are just going to be about the length of a level from Demon's Souls. Basically in Demon's Souls, you reached a checkpoint when you finished a boss. You can run from 1-4 all the way back to 1-1, if you wanted to.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']People who think this are going to be sorely disappointed, I think. Demon's Souls had checkpoints too. They said Dark Souls isn't going to feature a central hub like Demon's Souls did, so clearly you're going to have checkpoints, but I think the checkpoints are just going to be about the length of a level from Demon's Souls. Basically in Demon's Souls, you reached a checkpoint when you finished a boss. You can run from 1-4 all the way back to 1-1, if you wanted to.[/QUOTE]

Huh? I thought you setup your own checkpoints by building a fire or something along those lines.

EDIT: I'm referring to Dark Souls, btw.

[quote name='distgfx']Huh? I thought you setup your own checkpoints by building a fire or something along those lines.

EDIT: I'm referring to Dark Souls, btw.[/QUOTE]

From my understanding, you can't just do it anywhere you want. There are specific points where you can. You're not creating a checkpoint so much as activating a checkpoint.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']From my understanding, you can't just do it anywhere you want. There are specific points where you can. You're not creating a checkpoint so much as activating a checkpoint.[/QUOTE]

Oh ... my bad.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It'd sort of ruin a bit of the challenge if you could just set up a checkpoint every you managed to not die.[/QUOTE]

Yes, which is why it worried me to hear something along those lines, but knowing this... meh, it's ok I suppose.

I spent over 10 hours yesterday and today fucking around with Oblivion mods only to play 60 minutes before I realised that I didn't want to play it any more.

So I enjoy Oblivion, but it just doesn't compare to Fallout 3. I feel like a hole is missing in my video game heart and I must fill it with Fallout NV.

I absolutely cannot wait for Dark Souls! Demons Souls is my favorite PS3 game ever, and ranks in my top 10 games list. I bought it day 1 on hype alone, and the next day had convinced a number of my friends to pick it up.

PS3 version for me (screw xbl)

Same, really looking forward to Dark Souls. Demon's Souls just somehow struck a chord with me: it's the first game in many years that I enjoyed so much that I thought about it a lot when I wasn't even playing it. It just made me really excited to explore and try everything (I tried hard not to look at online info until after my first play-through). Felt like I was in middle-school again.

Also, I loved the atmosphere. Playing through the first level of the Tower of Latria actually spooked the hell out of me. And working my way down to the bottom of the mines in 2-2, those tunnels near the end actually made me feel somewhat claustrophobic the first few times.

More Nippon Ichi news: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/09/nippon_ichi_games/

In addition to the Disgaea 3 port, they've hinted at four more games. Copy-pasta of the relevant details:
[quote name='Andriasang']1. An action RPG from the Prinny team with full polygon visuals. We'll get our first look in about a month. Platform is unspecified.

2. An all new title from the Disgaea team. This is said to have the visual quality of the illustrations from Disgaea 4. The staff is using the knowhow it gained from Disgaea 4 for networking and other areas. The game will have a famous illustrator for its character designs. Platform is unspecified.

3. A new title from System Plasma, makers of Classic Dungeon. Platform is unspecified.

4. Japanese release of a 3DS game that was popular overseas.[/quote]
Number two is the most exciting prospect for me. It's great to see the Disgaea team making a non-Disgaea game again. I'm also wondering who the illustrator is. I would love for it to be Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Evangelion, .hack, etc.) but I'm thinking it's probably someone else. Part of me hopes it's not Huke (Black Rock Shooter, Steins;Gate); his stuff is everywhere nowadays.

I'm also curious as to what number four is.

It would be cool if number two is a RPG for the 360 or PS3, I need some more console RPGs in my life

The only NIS game I've even played is Disgaea 1, and I couldn't really get into it. I'd like to go back and give it a fresh try sometime though.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The only NIS game I've even played is Disgaea 1, and I couldn't really get into it. I'd like to go back and give it a fresh try sometime though.[/QUOTE]

Let's see, games released by NIS I've played or own: Disgaea 1-3, Disgaea Infinite, , La Pucelle Tactics, Phantom Brave, Atelier Iris 1-3 and Rorona, Makai Kingdom, Generation of Chaos and Aedis Eclipse, Spectral Souls, Ar Tonelico 1-3, GrimGrimoire, Dragoneers Aria, Mana Khemia 1 and 2, Soul Nomad, Prinny, Sakura Wars, ZHP, and Neptunia.

So yeah I got way to much NIS crap

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Let's see, games released by NIS I've played or own: Disgaea 1-3, Disgaea Infinite, , La Pucelle Tactics, Phantom Brave, Atelier Iris 1-3 and Rorona, Makai Kingdom, Generation of Chaos and Aedis Eclipse, Spectral Souls, Ar Tonelico 1-3, GrimGrimoire, Dragoneers Aria, Mana Khemia 1 and 2, Soul Nomad, Prinny, Sakura Wars, ZHP, and Neptunia.

So yeah I got way to much NIS crap[/QUOTE]
I own the Ar tonelico games and Sakura Wars, but those were developed by Gust and Sega respectively, just published in the US by NIS America. I was thinking games actually developed by Nippon Ichi.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII a no-show at TGS. Does anyone still think this game will come out before the next console generation?

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Let's see, games released by NIS I've played or own: Disgaea 1-3, Disgaea Infinite, , La Pucelle Tactics, Phantom Brave, Atelier Iris 1-3 and Rorona, Makai Kingdom, Generation of Chaos and Aedis Eclipse, Spectral Souls, Ar Tonelico 1-3, GrimGrimoire, Dragoneers Aria, Mana Khemia 1 and 2, Soul Nomad, Prinny, Sakura Wars, ZHP, and Neptunia.

Most of those are Gust/Idea Factory/Hit Maker/Vanillaware =P Nine of the 26 you listed are NIS.

Edit: Ten, cause I missed Z.H.P. There's also Rhapsody and Prinny 2.

[quote name='elessar123']Most of those are Gust/Idea Factory/Hit Maker/Vanillaware =P Nine of the 26 you listed are NIS.

Edit: Ten, cause I missed Z.H.P. There's also Rhapsody and Prinny 2.[/QUOTE]

It flashes NIS at me when I boot them up so I can count them! . I haven't gotten Prinny 2 yet, or heard enough good about Rhapsody to shell out the $$ on it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
Final Fantasy Versus XIII a no-show at TGS. Does anyone still think this game will come out before the next console generation?[/QUOTE]

I've just accepted it as one of those games that will come out eventually. Not hyped at all for it, but for some reason I think it will be stupidly good when it actually gets over here.

XIII-2 looks just okay to me so far, but there's probably still a lot to see.

[quote name='panzerfaust']XIII-2 looks just okay to me so far, but there's probably still a lot to see.[/QUOTE]

So far, XIII-2 looks excellent, I enjoyed XIII a whole lot and can't wait for it. I should probably start pre-ordering that and SSX now ;)

XIII-2 is not looking like anything over a $19.99 purchase for me. I have no interest in playing Noel and Serah the entire game (even a third slot to use a "monster" in my party)

I've played most of those. At least the ones that game out on :ps2: The only ones I really enjoyed was the first Atelier Iris and Phantom Brave. disgaea 2 was alright but nothing special. It seems i spent more time in that game doing a leveling trick than actually "playing" the game.

I'd like to get the couple NIS games that have come out for :ps3: but I'm waiting for them to come down in goozex points first. (Why pay money for them?)

[quote name='Hell Monkey']XIII-2 is not looking like anything over a $19.99 purchase for me. I have no interest in playing Noel and Serah the entire game (even a third slot to use a "monster" in my party)[/QUOTE]

It probably be 20 by the late summer next year which happened with 13.So far the game mostly looks the same except for a few changes to it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Not hyped at all for it, but for some reason I think it will be stupidly good when it actually gets over here.[/QUOTE]
For some reason I feel the same way, even though it's vaporware at this point.

I'm not very hyped for Versus XIII at all. The psuedo-modern setting doesn't appeal to me as much as something fantastical like XIII, and we've seen virtually nothing of the actual gameplay.

But in any case, unless/until it goes multi-platform, the relevant question for me is, is it a system seller. It would have to be pretty good.

Although I am interested in FFXIII-2 I will definitely wait for reviews and/or a price drop. If it is more of the same I will probably pass all together.

At this point in time I have almost given up hope of must buy (fun/addictive) new jrpg's on the PS3... I still have some hope that maybe there will be HD remakes of a few titles at least.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'm not very hyped for Versus XIII at all. The psuedo-modern setting doesn't appeal to me as much as something fantastical like XIII, and we've seen virtually nothing of the actual gameplay.

But in any case, unless/until it goes multi-platform, the relevant question for me is, is it a system seller. It would have to be pretty good.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't buy a PS3 for it, just looks like a more mature Kingdom Hearts

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'm not very hyped for Versus XIII at all. The psuedo-modern setting doesn't appeal to me as much as something fantastical like XIII, and we've seen virtually nothing of the actual gameplay.
[/QUOTE]

^^ I agree with this. Right now I have no interest in versus. That may change if it ends up being something spectacular, but early info and the modern setting does not appeal to me at all.

Somewhat funny story:

I was playing 3d Dot Heroes and my husband came down to tell me it was time for bed, he looks at the game and is like "wth? I bought you a PS3 so you could play a game that looks like that??" I was amused.

I would trade graphics for good gameplay any day... too bad the gameplay in 3D Dot Heroes is only average.

[quote name='leeloo1977']Somewhat funny story:

I was playing 3d Dot Heroes and my husband came down to tell me it was time for bed, he looks at the game and is like "wth? I bought you a PS3 so you could play a game that looks like that??" I was amused.

I would trade graphics for good gameplay any day... too bad the gameplay in 3D Dot Heroes is only average.[/QUOTE]

I think it looks pretty bad too. Not because it looks blocky, I just feel like the design is uninspired as well.

[quote name='leeloo1977'] I would trade graphics for good gameplay any day... too bad the gameplay in 3D Dot Heroes is only average.[/QUOTE]

I have to sadly agree. It's an interesting Zelda homage, but stays a bit too true to the first one. Outside of the art style it's really only an average game. Maybe my love of Zelda got me too hyped to play a new "zelda"-style game though.

[quote name='Zmonkay']I have to sadly agree. It's an interesting Zelda homage, but stays a bit too true to the first one. Outside of the art style it's really only an average game. Maybe my love of Zelda got me too hyped to play a new "zelda"-style game though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought it was just OK.

Played through it once, didn't get the true ending; but really didn't feel like assed to go and get it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'm not very hyped for Versus XIII at all. The psuedo-modern setting doesn't appeal to me as much as something fantastical like XIII, and we've seen virtually nothing of the actual gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree more info on the gameplay would be nice, personally I find the setting interesting, I enjoy modern settings (when done interestingly (for instance the Persona games)). It also doesn't hurt that the main character of the game is kind of cute. :oops: However, the gameplay will probably really make or break the game for me, since my first attempt at playing through FFXIII left me feeling like it was missing things from other RPGs that I like.

I'm still waiting to see when I try FFXIII again if my opinion on it changes (since my opinion on certain RPGs (namely FFX and Chrono Cross) have changed drastically in the past upon giving the game a second chance), but overall I felt like FFXIII streamlined out the parts of RPGs that I really enjoy (the biggest aspect being that it had almost no feeling of exploration vs the typical JRPG which has a reasonable amount of what might be considered psuedo-exploration (sure there aren't tons of options, sometimes just path A or path B, but I like the maze feelings of classic RPGs)), but maybe if I end up getting really into the combat in FFXIII my opinion on it will change (probably going to be a while till I get back to it though, but I'm sure I'll give it another try in the future).

[quote name='Hell Monkey']XIII-2 is not looking like anything over a $19.99 purchase for me. I have no interest in playing Noel and Serah the entire game (even a third slot to use a "monster" in my party)[/QUOTE]

I'm probably the biggest XIII apologist on CAG but this is true for me too. Serah was the worst character in XIII, Noel's character design is just something Nomura farted out in his sleep, and I'm not keen on the Pulsekemon concept. They should have at least ripped off Gau and had a human character that can learn Rages from enemies, or better yet, just scrap the concept entirely and give us playable freaking Armor Lightning that they teased us with since XIII-2 was announced.

[quote name='fwbweux']I'm probably the biggest XIII apologist on CAG but this is true for me too. Serah was the worst character in XIII, Noel's character design is just something Nomura farted out in his sleep, and I'm not keen on the Pulsekemon concept. They should have at least ripped off Gau and had a human character that can learn Rages from enemies, or better yet, just scrap the concept entirely and give us playable freaking Armor Lightning that they teased us with since XIII-2 was announced.[/QUOTE]
Agreed 1000%, I'll withhold final judgment until I actually play the game but in the 30 seconds it probably took you to write that post, you came up with far better ideas for FF13-2 gameplay than Square seems to have. Also :lol: at Pulsekemon. Gotta l'Cietch em all!

Thinking about getting one of the two: Bastion or Torchlight. Played both the demos and liked them. Been leanning a little torwards Torchlight. What do you guys think?

[quote name='Rodimus']Thinking about getting one of the two: Bastion or Torchlight. Played both the demos and liked them. Been leanning a little torwards Torchlight. What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

Haven't played Bastion, but I can definitely recommend Torchlight, which is awesome. You'll definitely get more than enough playtime out of it to get your money's worth.

[quote name='Rodimus']Thinking about getting one of the two: Bastion or Torchlight. Played both the demos and liked them. Been leanning a little torwards Torchlight. What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

Hmm...both good. I'd get Bastion though since Torchlight was just on sale, and should be again.

[quote name='Ryuukishi'] Pulsekemon. Gotta l'Cietch em all![/QUOTE]

Going to make this my bio on XBL :p Has to be the funniest thing I've read in a while

[quote name='kainzero']I think it looks pretty bad too. Not because it looks blocky, I just feel like the design is uninspired as well.[/QUOTE]

I actually really loved the look of it. There's nothing else that has really gone for the mix of blocky 3D combined with HD in that way. The game was also nice and colorful as well.

I really enjoyed Torchlight; it's a fun loot game. Haven't played Bastion (only watched my husband play the demo), but it seems to have more going on in terms of story, if that makes a difference.

I'm actually pretty excited for Versus. I like the setting and I like what I've seen from the characters so far. Gameplay doesn't look to bad either and I'm dying for more world maps in my RPGs.

I'll pick up XIII-2 eventually, not day one. The pokemon aspect of the game is definite a turn off. There's only a few games that do that stuff right (SMT series).

Enjoyed FFXIII's combat system, so XIII-2 will be a play but just like everyone else $19.99 or under only.

Still need to play Resonance of Fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back