RPG Thread XI is pretending X-2 doesn't exist

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='BattleChicken']I enjoyed WKC1 at first.. then I finished it, and I was furious.

I may consider WKC2 assuming that the game has an ACTUAL conclusion.[/QUOTE]

I never understand this complaint. The game was supposed to be a series. Did you also get pissed at The Fellowship of the Ring when it ended with Frodo and Sam secretly running off from the group to destroy the ring alone?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I never understand this complaint. The game was supposed to be a series. Did you also get pissed at The Fellowship of the Ring when it ended with Frodo and Sam secretly ran off from the group to destroy the ring alone?[/QUOTE]

The game pretty much ended with "To be continued" - they ended it mid-arc, like a cliffhanger of a TV series designed to make you watch next week during sweeps; comparing WKC to "Lord of the Rings" isn't a fair comparison. Each of the "Lord of the Rings" films ended the current arc. There was a conclusion to many threads and even the remaining ones weren't left as wide open.. the cuts felt organic and appropriate, not rage-inducing.

WKC ended like the second "Matrix" movie - ALL STOP! TO BE CONTINUED! - Designed to make people want to watch the next film. Matrix 2 COULD have ended five minutes earlier and it would have had a good ending... but nope! They ended it with a cliffhanger for something that wouldn't be available for another year (I think? Maybe it was a few months...). The way WKC ended made me felt like the developers were told to just stop making the game and end it where they happened to be at the time. The game just 'stopped'. It didn't end, and that is what bothered me, not that the story was continued in a later game.

The ending felt like a big fuck you to all the time I invested becoming interested in the story and the characters (sort of.. WKC wasn't Shakespeare...) - it was NOT good storytelling and was about the worst ending to a modern game I've ever played through.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kainzero']i think they're about the same.

the worst translation is the shaman fusion part.
"would you like to fuse?"
"yes"

"ok, see you later then."

"would you like to fuse?"
"no."

"step right into the fusion chamber!"[/QUOTE]
They must have fixed some of the translation since I never ran into that problem.

I thought WKC looked like shit so I never touched it. And I have no plans to pick up WKC2 ever.

[quote name='BattleChicken']The game pretty much ended with "To be continued" - they ended it mid-arc, like a cliffhanger of a TV series designed to make you watch next week during sweeps; comparing WKC to "Lord of the Rings" isn't a fair comparison. Each of the "Lord of the Rings" films ended the current arc. There was a conclusion to many threads and even the remaining ones weren't left as wide open.. the cuts felt organic and appropriate, not rage-inducing.

WKC ended like the second "Matrix" movie - ALL STOP! TO BE CONTINUED! - Designed to make people want to watch the next film. Matrix 2 COULD have ended five minutes earlier and it would have had a good ending... but nope! They ended it with a cliffhanger for something that wouldn't be available for another year (I think? Maybe it was a few months...). The way WKC ended left made me felt like the developers were told to just stop making the game and end it where they happened to be at the time. The game just 'stopped'. It didn't end, and that is what bothered me, not that the story was continued.

The ending felt like a big fuck you to all the time I invested becoming interested in the story and the characters - it was NOT good storytelling and was about the worst ending to a modern game I've ever played through.[/QUOTE]

I felt like it did finish with the current arc. The entire game was more about
rescuing the princess than anything, and the game ended with the princess being rescued.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I felt like it did finish with the current arc. The entire game was more about
rescuing the princess than anything, and the game ended with the princess being rescued.
[/QUOTE]

I disagree. They created way more questions and open ends AT the end than if it ended the way you say it did.. It's been a while but I'm fairly sure they just flew out of the place they were in, then "The End" after creating a lot of new plot points that they didn't take anywhere
The death of a character happens, then "Game over". no Mourning, no movement forward at all.
That was just lousy storytelling.

[quote name='whoknows']Is there any reason to play a game if you aren't getting trophies/achievements?[/QUOTE]

LOL course there is. I was just curious since I already own the original. If I CAN get trophies/achievements I will but not required.

[quote name='Indignate']I won't buy DLC that doesn't come with achievements.

Does that count?[/QUOTE]

If you're ignoring otherwise worthwhile DLC for entirely that reason, probably.

If it's mediocre money-grab DLC which doesn't add anything to the game experience, probably not. ;)

[quote name='bvharris']*Checks*

Yep, this is still the RPG thread. :whistle2:$[/QUOTE]

AC is an RPG within an RPG. You are playin Desmond who is playing Ezio. It's multiple levels!

[quote name='Hell Monkey']AC is an RPG within an RPG. You are playin Desmond who is playing Ezio. It's multiple levels![/QUOTE]

How did I not get that AC is essentially Inception before now... I'm a bit slow...

[quote name='Hell Monkey']AC is an RPG within an RPG. You are playin Desmond who is playing Ezio. It's multiple levels![/QUOTE]

inception05.jpg

[quote name='adriley313']ok rpg question
what did u guys think of Ys Ark of Napishism[/QUOTE]

I liked it. Although I don't remember much beyond the large amount of time I had to put in early on level grinding, most likely due to my being horrible at most ARPGs.

WKC was my least favorite RPG this gen. Maybe even least favorite game.

[quote name='whoknows']Is there any reason to play a game if you aren't getting trophies/achievements?[/QUOTE]

I would turn trophies and achievements off if I could. I buy all my multiplats for 360 simply because I can hide the notifications.

[quote name='adriley313']i loved brotherhood and hope revelations will be just as good[/QUOTE]

Revelations will have more Altair, so it has to be better than 2/Brotherhood.

[quote name='Indignate']Altair better have more than a bland personality.[/QUOTE]

Have they even confirmed you can actually play him? They keep just showing Ezio.

I need a suggestion for the next tales game I will play.

I enjoyed the hell out of vesperia. I have also played Tales of Destiny 1 and 2. I have a ps2, psp, ps3, 360, and gamecube at my disposal.

I was thinking symphonia, but I havent played any of the ones released for ps2. Any suggestions as to which I should play next?

For whatever it's worth, I love Vesperia but hated Symphonia. I haven't played any other Tales games than those two, but I've been looking to try Abyss.

[quote name='godsentdeath']I need a suggestion for the next tales game I will play.

I enjoyed the hell out of vesperia. I have also played Tales of Destiny 1 and 2. I have a ps2, psp, ps3, 360, and gamecube at my disposal.

I was thinking symphonia, but I havent played any of the ones released for ps2. Any suggestions as to which I should play next?[/QUOTE]

I'd actually suggest Legendia > Symphonia > Abyss if you plan to play them all. IMHO that's the order from lowest to best quality.

Most people don't like the linear battle system of Legendia, but having played ToD 1 and 2 it should be acceptable to you. It also has really great characterization, though I did not enjoy the second half very much and found it to be a bit slow and just youtubed it. Really enjoyed the first half though.

Symphonia is fantastic, but honestly looks really dated to me at this point. Playing that after how gorgeous Abyss looks might make it even more pronounced.

Abyss is great, if you can put up with Luke (main character) being a whiny little bitch for the first 1/3 of the game or so. The rest of the characters really balance it out though, as they are fantastic. Jade is one of my top RPG characters ever. The battle system is also an improved version of Symphonia's (which was then further tweaked for Vesperia). Note, that if you have a 3DS, it looks like an English release is coming (shown at Gamescon, but idk about a US release. I just assume).

[quote name='godsentdeath']I need a suggestion for the next tales game I will play.

I was thinking symphonia, but I havent played any of the ones released for ps2. Any suggestions as to which I should play next?[/QUOTE]

I'd say play Symphonia, then Abyss, and skip Legendia. My personal favorite is Symphonia, but it is more outdated than Abyss, so that's why I'd suggest it first.

It's also worth noting that the same team worked on Symphonia and Abyss, and that team went on to be the main people who worked on Vesperia (although in that case some people from the other Tales team also worked with them).

Legendia has really, really good music, and the characters are enjoyable, but I agree with Zmonkay that the second half (the "Character Quests") are skippable; it has more background on the characters and extends the story, but you go through all the same dungeons again and there isn't much new stuff in them. The character designs are also kind of ugly, but I managed to get used to them. It's not required playing, but if you skip the Character Quests, it's pretty short (less than thirty hours).

Also agree with Zmonkay that Symphonia is great, but the graphics are really dated. The thing that bugged me most about the game was the blurriness of the character models. I played it on the Wii; don't know if that makes a difference as far as the graphics goes.

Haven't played Abyss yet; it's in my backlog.

[quote name='blueshinra']
Also agree with Zmonkay that Symphonia is great, but the graphics are really dated. The thing that bugged me most about the game was the blurriness of the character models. I played it on the Wii; don't know if that makes a difference as far as the graphics goes.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if this would affect gamecube games, but do you have component cables for your Wii? Because before I got some, everything looked blurry on my Wii, but now it doesn't. I don't recall if I've tried any Gamecube games with them though. I played Symphonia back on Gamecube with a SDTV, and it looked really great at the time, but it does look really dated nowadays on an HDTV.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Abyss is great, if you can put up with Luke (main character) being a whiny little bitch for the first 1/3 of the game or so. The rest of the characters really balance it out though, as they are fantastic. Jade is one of my top RPG characters ever. The battle system is also an improved version of Symphonia's (which was then further tweaked for Vesperia). Note, that if you have a 3DS, it looks like an English release is coming (shown at Gamescon, but idk about a US release. I just assume).[/QUOTE]

I think Luke gets a bad rap really, because in my mind his whining is sometimes funny, and also (unlike a lot of other whinny RPG characters) actually makes sense, he lived a VERY sheltered life (the reasoning behind that is well explained and makes sense) so the way the normal world works just doesn't make sense to him. Plus, like you said after the first 1/3 of the game he has a fairly strong character shift (which also makes sense).

I really do want to beat Abyss, but haven't had much luck, my PS3 got stolen the first time I played the game and was well over 20 hours in and I lost the save files (although I still had a few hours in when the game hard locks on 80gb PS3s and I had to switch to PS2 temporarily, but I didn't have the heart to replay so much right away). Then I tried to do that CAG group playthrough but ended up falling really far behind the goals and ended up just playing something else. Someday I plan to beat it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave up very quickly on White Knight Chronicles. I think I got the giant white knight/mecha thing and then decided that was enough.

I just didnt like the combat system at all. Too many options (cut/slash/stab/hack = all the same). No ability to block. It's just stand there. hit enemy. enemy hits back. you have more hp? you win.

Still grinding in Final Fantasy IV for PSP. Should probably get to the mid 40s, cuz the Giant of Babel has some tough enemies and 4 fiends are hard again.

[quote name='Zmonkay']

Symphonia is fantastic, but honestly looks really dated to me at this point. Playing that after how gorgeous Abyss looks might make it even more pronounced.

Abyss is great, if you can put up with Luke (main character) being a whiny little bitch for the first 1/3 of the game or so. The rest of the characters really balance it out though, as they are fantastic. Jade is one of my top RPG characters ever. The battle system is also an improved version of Symphonia's (which was then further tweaked for Vesperia). Note, that if you have a 3DS, it looks like an English release is coming (shown at Gamescon, but idk about a US release. I just assume).[/QUOTE]

Truth be told, Vesperia was my first Tales game and I loved it. I tried playing Symphonia but I just couldn't because it was a bit dated in regards to the battle system.

I'm sure the story is great, but I couldn't get past being stuck in a 2D plane when I was used to being in 3D and being able to maneuver where I wanted.

[quote name='jello44']Truth be told, Vesperia was my first Tales game and I loved it. I tried playing Symphonia but I just couldn't because it was a bit dated in regards to the battle system.

I'm sure the story is great, but I couldn't get past being stuck in a 2D plane when I was used to being in 3D and being able to maneuver where I wanted.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, understandable. It can be hard to go back to a more restricting battle system after the openness of Vesperia. I still think it's worth playing though. And Symphonia was sort of a hybrid of 2D and 3D. You could only move towards and away from an enemy, but it was still on a 3D plane.

my gripe with symphonia is that it doesn't have big tits judith.

*nosebleed*

but i liked symphonia even though i feel like it had too many shared story elements of ff10. it was just a fun game.

Hell Monkey: They have confirmed the game go back and forth between Ezio and Altair. SO it's safe to assume that you will probably be spending some time with him.

Namco has confirmed ToA 3DS is coming to the US.

[quote name='kainzero']my gripe with symphonia is that it doesn't have big tits judith.

*nosebleed*
.[/QUOTE]

But It has Sheena and Raine.... although they don't compare to Judith. :drool:

[quote name='ihadFG']I don't know if this would affect gamecube games, but do you have component cables for your Wii? Because before I got some, everything looked blurry on my Wii, but now it doesn't. I don't recall if I've tried any Gamecube games with them though. I played Symphonia back on Gamecube with a SDTV, and it looked really great at the time, but it does look really dated nowadays on an HDTV.[/QUOTE]
Not when I played Symphonia. Didn't get component cables until I got an HDTV, and before that, everything else on the Wii looked fine (including other Gamecube games).

Symphonia is my favorite of the Tales games because of the wonderful characters. I loved the differences in personalities and the quirks they were given, such as Raine's crazed love for archaeology. Although it is hard to choose who is my favorite between Jade and Zelos. They are the 2 best characters from all of Tales!

Abyss is my favorite when it comes to characters. Besides Anise I liked everyone. Jade was a really unique charater, you can't help but to love the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back