RPG Thread XIII-2: Tough Moms Always Die Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up to the deserted ship now in DDS.Out of the SMT games I played so far which were Persona 3 FES,and Devil Summonor 2,this is the best one outta the bunch.

Finally got my Wii ready to play my import copy of Xenoblade Chronicles. It's fantastic so far (I'm only a couple of hours in).

I'm still laughing at the new Suikoden stealing FFX's premise.

Every hundred years some monster destroys the... get the fuck out of here.

Anyway, I stopped playing Persona 2. Game's good, but I'm just not in the mood for it right now. I just wanna shoot things and see lots of violence.

Disturbingly, the only RPGs I really want to play at the moment are the ones on Wii. Which is a little insane.

I recently got Rorona and really like it though i have to play during the day as for some reason at nite it lulls me to sleep but really like and and look forward to Totori down the road.

Also been playing DQM Joker 2 and really love it. Great game though I hate that bigger monsters take up more slots.

Started playing Resonance of Fate recently. I am starting to enjoy that game. Has a nice battle system to it, and a unique world map system. Hopefully it stays this fun throughout the game.

I really should just move on from Etrian Odyssey 3. Dragonbane is halfway forged, highest char is 85, most have points to spare... All 25 floors mapped, and all of the ocean mapped. All of the normal monster drops obtained, just need a few FOE/Boss drops. In order to 100%, I think I need to play the game 2 more times though, for the two other end bosses.

Almost at the end (I'm pretty sure) of Chapter Eight in Rogue Galaxy. Such a long chapter, but I've given myself a bit of wiggle room to do sidequests and such. I've gotten the hang of the factory, BTW (why they don't give you the machine that processes alchemy materials from the start, I'll never know); it's pretty nifty, and sort of reminds me of Georama mixed with Dark Cloud 2's invention system.

Also finished mapping B15F in Etrian Odyssey III last night. My main guild members are currently at level 50-52 and kicking ass. On to B16F in earnest.

[quote name='zionoverfire']So long as they include Blitzball I'll be happy.:D[/QUOTE]
If it's a typical Suikoden with tons of playable characters, you could spend lots of time assembling the best team ever!

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Started playing Resonance of Fate recently. I am starting to enjoy that game. Has a nice battle system to it, and a unique world map system. Hopefully it stays this fun throughout the game.[/QUOTE]

I'll give you until the 6 hour mark.

[quote name='blueshinra']
If it's a typical Suikoden with tons of playable characters, you could spend lots of time assembling the best team ever![/QUOTE]

You could make your own Blitzball league.:drool:

Has anyone heard if we get actual runes in this one?

[quote name='elessar123']I really should just move on from Etrian Odyssey 3. Dragonbane is halfway forged, highest char is 85, most have points to spare... All 25 floors mapped, and all of the ocean mapped. All of the normal monster drops obtained, just need a few FOE/Boss drops. In order to 100%, I think I need to play the game 2 more times though, for the two other end bosses.[/QUOTE]

I'm just about to head down to the 20th floor. Final floor before post game. Worried I might need to give it up around this point. My party's only level 46 max and I can't seem to handle any of the FOES on this stratum except for the sheep.

If I had known ahead of time to max out antivolt I could possibly handle the Divine Judges.

[quote name='Chacrana']
Anyway, I stopped playing Persona 2. Game's good, but I'm just not in the mood for it right now. I just wanna shoot things and see lots of violence.[/QUOTE]

How far did you get?

I'm still playing, but it's a slow grind. I'm at the CD store dungeon. It's like running around an FYE and fighting a demon every 5 seconds, but the clerk and other patrons never say anything.

[quote name='eldergamer']I'm just about to head down to the 20th floor. Final floor before post game. Worried I might need to give it up around this point. My party's only level 46 max and I can't seem to handle any of the FOES on this stratum except for the sheep.

If I had known ahead of time to max out antivolt I could possibly handle the Divine Judges.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I didn't have anti-volt until I started fighting the dragons. You'll be fine.

Personally, the sheep still give me trouble. Stupid status effects.

[quote name='elessar123']Eh, I didn't have anti-volt until I started fighting the dragons. You'll be fine.

Personally, the sheep still give me trouble. Stupid status effects.[/QUOTE]

Exact opposite for me. With my Prince doing protect order and the limit that curses status at the end of each turn I was taking down those sheep two at a time.

However, one blast of the MegaVolt thing wipes out two of my characters before I could even get to try anti-volt. ( If I had it)

I let my daughter pick my next RPG and we settled on Infinite Undiscovery. It's not a bad game at all but it's just average on everything. Also, it's very very cliched.

Moody main character that's painfully oblivious to the advances of the female lead but is all over every other female in the game? Check.

Inappropriately young support characters that have no business fighting stray dogs much less fighting to "save the world"? Check.

Overpowered party/rebel leader that's basically a demi-god? Check.

Tank (one helpful, one moody)? Check.

Healer? Check.

Extraneous party members that hardly give any back story but become valued party members because they come in overleveled? Check.

Battle system that feels a lot like a previous game's but is actually a regression? Check.

I think 30+ years from now, I'll pay her back by buying the current average RPG and letting her suffer through the 20th save the world RPG with her kids that think it's just awesome that kids are the heroes.

[quote name='depascal22']
Moody main character that's painfully oblivious to the advances of the female lead but is all over every other female in the game? Check.
[/QUOTE]
I can't say I've ever seen this one before (at least the second half.)

[quote name='depascal22']Moody main character that's painfully oblivious to the advances of the female lead but is all over every other female in the game? Check.[/QUOTE]
I actually thought the romantic tension between Capell and Aya was quite well done and was one of the best things about that game. I don't know if it was more down to the vocal performances or what, but there was some real chemistry there, unlike the painfully cardboard romances in pretty much every other JRPG.

i watched my friend beat the last boss of infinite undiscovery. just by a voice sample and the character design i could easily tell what kind of character they were, and i correctly guessed the ending even though i never saw anything else in the game.

different strokes for different folks. has there been any game with a well developed romance?

i would say SotC but i'd sound like a pretentious douche.

[quote name='panzerfaust']different strokes for different folks. has there been any game with a well developed romance?

i would say SotC but i'd sound like a pretentious douche.[/QUOTE]

Deadly Premonition.

No joke.

[quote name='panzerfaust']different strokes for different folks. Has there been any game with a well developed romance?

I would say sotc but i'd sound like a pretentious douche.[/quote]

ff8. :D

Personally Full Throttle is my favorite, chick starts to like him and he rides off alone.:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's sappy but I liked the romanace in FFX with Tidus & Yuna. I will admit it's a bit forced with no build up, just Tidus laying the moves on out of nowhere. The ending was a little sad, I'll confess, it got to me a little.

FF6 between Celes and Locke was nice for a 16-bit game.

Probably one of the worst was Snow and Serah.

Hero/Bianca (DQV) is one of the sweetest relationships I've ever seen in a game. Don't know how it would've panned out had I married another of the girls, though...

[quote name='panzerfaust']ff8's was going very well until the 2nd half kicked in.[/QUOTE]
Laguna/Kiros, right? XD

Seriously, though, I could never buy into the whole Squall/Rinoa thing; the former's so alternately moody and melodramatic, and the latter is a total flake.

ff8 has a special place in my heart because of the squall/rinoa thing that went on, but only in the first half of the game -- in fact I have never bothered to finish the game because of how drastically it switches gears on the player in terms of both plot and character writing.

squall is moody, but not for shallow reasons or to be square's next badass with a sword who can't laugh at jokes. he's surrounded by fairly annoying people (selphie, zell, and quistis all probably have disorders) and he doesn't want to deal with their problems. i quite enjoyed his nature in this part of the game, and when rinoa came into the picture it was all pretty adorable and i looked forward to seeing them open up to each other.

and then shit hits the fan, there's time travel, suddenly we're in space and shit's coming down from the moon for no reason, and squall is practically reciting shakespeare to explain his emotional state of being and i just want to vomit all over my dualshock.

i felt similarly with ffix, where they throw away much of all the game's charm away to force this stupid kuja villain down your throat.

---

Tidus and Yuna was nice, however minimalist the dialogue may have been.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']FFX's relationship between Tidus and Yuna was great. It's served as the basis for all my romantic relationships.[/QUOTE]

Wut.

[quote name='panzerfaust']different strokes for different folks. has there been any game with a well developed romance?

i would say SotC but i'd sound like a pretentious douche.[/QUOTE]
Grandia, Lunar, and Shadow Hearts.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']FFX's relationship between Tidus and Yuna was great. It's served as the basis for all my romantic relationships.[/QUOTE]

you pick them up when they're in an emotionally broken state and then fade away as quickly as you came?

I'm gonna throw in probably an unpopular choice and say Elika and The Prince from PoP '08. Not an RPG, I know, but they had the most chemistry that I've ever seen between two game characters. Probably helped that I wasn't burned out on Nolan North when I played the game, but I really enjoyed their interaction, even as thickly-slathered with sarcastic banter as it was.

Didn't like the Squall/Rinoa thing either. It was really cheesy, like if they had a relationship in middle school. They weren't a good fit either. Rinoa is a needy bitch. Selphie and Quistis were much better choices.

[quote name='fwbweux']I'm gonna throw in probably an unpopular choice and say Elika and The Prince from PoP '08.[/QUOTE]
I agree that that relationship was fantastic.
The ending in particular was stupidly, agonizingly romantic, and just incredible in general.

PoP 08 gets a thumbs up from me, got way too much hate for making the gameover screen an interesting character development tool.

god forbid the industry moves forward.

[quote name='blueshinra']I agree that that relationship was fantastic.
The ending in particular was stupidly, agonizingly romantic, and just incredible in general.
[/QUOTE]

When I made it to the end of the game and realized what I had to do, my jaw dropped. Absolutely one of my favorite game endings of all time, just a master stroke.

[quote name='panzerfaust']PoP 08 gets a thumbs up from me, got way too much hate for making the gameover screen an interesting character development tool.

god forbid the industry moves forward.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll never comprehend the hate that the game received. Too many old gamers who are stuck in the "not difficult = not fun" mindset trying to dictate taste. It was the logical evolution of the PoP series and because so many influential people shat on it we'll never get another one. I mad.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Those are all pretty far reaches for cliches.[/QUOTE]

Really? It feels like they copied the mediocre parts from at least half a dozen RPGs from the PS1 and PS2 eras.

I'm not saying the game is bad. It's just excessively average at every turn. It feels like tri-ace really wanted to show Square Enix they could make a Final Fantasy so they combined the romance of X with a pared down version of XII's battle system. I think they don't make games that resonate with me. I didn't like any of the Star Oceans, Valkyrie Profile, Radiata, and I'm not really digging Infinite Undiscovery.

As for Lunar's love story, I thought it was a little odd that everyone was cool with Alex and Luna. She was raised as his sister... I know they're not but she lived in the house since she was a baby.

[quote name='ihadFG']Deadly Premonition.

No joke.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Grandia, Lunar, and Shadow Hearts.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

[quote name='panzerfaust']you pick them up when they're in an emotionally broken state and then fade away as quickly as you came?[/QUOTE]

Came is the right word to use.

I would also say the Protagonist in the Persona games and every female social link he can have. Those are well-developed as in they end exactly how any High Schooler would want them to, in implied sex.

On a serious note, I enjoyed Welkin and Alica.

[quote name='blueshinra']Hero/Bianca (DQV) is one of the sweetest relationships I've ever seen in a game.[/quote]
I agree. It's actually quite corny, yet it's done very well.
I think it even goes beyond that because you have kids and you work with them to save their mom. That's really cool.

Actually, the whole game is about family so it's no surprise it's done really well. I wouldn't say it's a romance as much as it is establishing good family relationships.

I don't like Squall/Rinoa because it's more about Squall finding himself (which I think is fantastic in itself) than it is about Rinoa being much of anything.

Right now the only romance subplot I can think of that I thought was pretty cool was KOTOR1 if you're male. The stuff you can say to Bastila is hilarious, but I like how it wrapped up in the end if you pursued romance. Yeah it's just dialogue, but it was kinda sweet.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Tidus and Yuna was nice, however minimalist the dialogue may have been.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc

--

Also, Dante was totally romantic before he became a player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ddOyvnh6o

--

On a serious note: Personally I'm a HUGE Yuri and Alice fan from Shadow Hearts. I totally agree about PoP 2008 too, I thought that was wonderful. Also, for all the dislike I have for Valkyrie Profile I'd still say I liked the Platina and Lucian story, even though it's tragic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Celes/Locke and Marcus/Dom.

I think Yuri/Alice was a well-portrayed relationship, though I interpreted it more as a destructive obsession than a healthy romance (
I chose the "bad" ending in Covenant
).

Also, I think you guys have convinced me to try Prince of Persia.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Grandia, Lunar, and Shadow Hearts.[/QUOTE]

I was also thinking about Grandia with Justin & Feena. They're obviously into each other and it's very innocent, considering they're both kids I guess it makes sense. A little childish but it was nice. Same with Lunar. I probably appreciated these romances more when I was younger.

[quote name='kainzero']I agree. It's actually quite corny, yet it's done very well.
I think it even goes beyond that because you have kids and you work with them to save their mom. That's really cool.

Actually, the whole game is about family so it's no surprise it's done really well. I wouldn't say it's a romance as much as it is establishing good family relationships.
[/QUOTE]
And before that, your kids come along and save you. That was cool as well :D

I do agree that family is a big theme in that game. Now that I think about it, it's not so much about romance as love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back