RPG Thread XIX is getting a rhythm game spinoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
frikken Bravely D man...

I told myself back in April a good way to pace myself with this game is to beat one chapter a month,

now May has came and went and guess how that's gone for me so far?

it hasn't... it hasn't at all... this game is a frikken grind...

no I do not want to travel the whole map fighting six dragons so I can unlock a dungeon to fight yet another boss,

and no I do not want to skip doing this...

I wanted to just stop playing the game altogether, so I went to wikipedia to read story spoilers,

and unfortunately... the story actually seems kinda interesting... like I'd like to see how it actually plays out in the game.

so ugh at Bravely D...

like I said, I refuse to buy any games on my backlog til I beat this game,

and at this rate, Bravely D just might be the game that makes me quit gaming altogether... I'm taking this to the grave!!
I feel you. I read spoilers myself and wanted to finish but I just stop playing. I might go back and finish it at some point.

Devil Survivor Overclocked is really good and it's a bit of a grind. Certain demons you can't beat without leveling up your characters and skills. I stop playing after I messed up and character died. I will go back eventually.

I decided to grab Ni no Kuni for $5. I originally grabbed the game at launch, but I couldn't get into it for some reason and ended up selling my copy, so I hope it clicks with me this time around

I loved TWEWY's gameplay but to be honest I was falling asleep (literarily) during the story parts.

I always thought these two song sounded similar. Anyone else agree?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzE3P5jdRT8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5iCKMkYKgs

"Are you a gamer? Or a smooth pimp who loves the pussy?"

What a great youtube annotation.

Anyways, I'm going to go listen to the entire OST now, thanks.

Square has confirmed no FF15 or KH3 news at E3. Famitsu did tease some Lightning-related news for next week though! Please look forward to it!

I'm gonna try to force myself to play Bravely D this weekend!!

keyword is try lol, coz honestly I've no idear what I'm doing this weekend =P

You can do it, Jekks! I beat the Brave D last night! (Hmm, just now re-reading that sounds kinda perv..).

What are some big RPGs that will be at E3 this year that are worth getting excited for? I assume we'll hear more about Persona Q and those other Persona games, but what about P5? Hopefully we will at least get a Persona 5 trailer. We'll probably get more Tales of Xillia 2 info, or maybe that other new Tales game. I really expect an announcement on Dragon Quest 7 for 3DS. Maybe the Bravely Default sequel will show up too. Probably hear more specifics on that X game. Square's done said no FF XV, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear about a FF 14 expansion. No KH3 either, but probably plenty of KH 2.5 filler. As for western RPGs, Witcher 3 will probably be the biggest story but if a next-gen Elder Scrolls or Fallout 4 is announced that would be big news.

Still gotta hold out some hope for Skies of Arcadia 2 and Phantasy Star 5.

What I think we'll see, RPG-wise, at E3:

- Square Enix Taito Eidos Kupo: There's new Kingdom Hearts 2.5 and Theatrhythm Curtain Call trailers out, so those for sure. KH3 will be a no-show, but I'm not sure about FFXV. I think there's a good chance for new FFXIV content to be shown, though E3 isn't a PC-heavy show, so who knows. Bravely Second would be a nice surprise, but I'm not holding my breath.

- Sega Sammy Atlus Hee-Ho: All the Persona spinoffs! P4 Arena Ultimax, Persona Q, and P4: Dancing All Night. I don't think we'll see anything of Persona 5 until Tokyo Game Show.

Namco Bandai Bandai Namco Mieuuuu: I haven't kept up much with Tales but, uh, I guess whatever the next console Tales game will be in Japan, as well as Xillia 2. I think I read somewhere that Tales of the World: Reve Unitia won't be released in the US, so we most likely won't see that one.

- Marvelous AQL XSEED: Would really love to see more of Forbidden Magna (the Rune Factory team's new game), but I'm not sure it'll happen this E3. Localization on that is all but guaranteed, anyway. Other than that, I can't think of much else besides Story of Seasons (a Harvest Moon game that can't be called Harvest Moon here because of legalities).

- Nippon Ichi: More Neptunia, I guess? What are they working on now that hasn't been announced for the US yet?

- Nintendo: The Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire remakes for sure. Ruby was my first Pokemon, so I'm interested to see more about these. No Mario RPGs: we already have our once-per-gen Paper Mario and it's too early for another Mario & Luigi. Hoping so badly for Dragon Quest VII to make an appearance, though all those other DQ 3DS games would be more than welcome as well. Oh, and Fantasy Life (well, more Level-5 in general would be great). Dragon Quest X would be pretty neat. Haven't seen much of X or that MegaTen/Fire Emblem crossover lately, so maybe those.

- WRPGs: Witcher 3 is the big one this year, it seems, though I wouldn't be surprised if BioWare and Bethesda made some major new announcements; Fallout 4 seems like the most likely candidate for Bethesda, and as for BioWare, now that it's a new console gen and they're done with the Mass Effect story, they seem to be in a good position to unveil a whole new IP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Final Fantasy Type 0 Fan translation patch coming out tomorrow

https://twitter.com/SkyBladeCloud/status/475330312814473216 

I'm bored at work so I'm playing Soul Sacrifice. I'm just playing the tutorial at moment just to get a feel of the game. 

Final Fantasy Type 0 Fan translation patch coming out tomorrow

https://twitter.com/SkyBladeCloud/status/475330312814473216
Unexpected like somehow found out about an official release?

Either way, I can finally play Type 0! Wooohooo!

Unexpected like somehow found out about an official release?

Either way, I can finally play Type 0! Wooohooo!
If it was an official release, then they wouldn't be posting the patch at all, right?

Still, good news! Retro Game Challenge 2's fan translation was completed recently as well… good times :)

Bravely D update...

I was able to beat all the dragons... stupid Ninja trick... basically I had to level up all my ninjas and put them on some auto battle loop that makes it so they never get hit,

but the damage they output is so poor you basically let the game sit and play itself while u do other things like check twitter and eat dinner.

it's not much a pain in the ass do that tho... what's a pain is remembering all the classes / jobs / equipments u had before making everyone a ninja when it's time to put it all back >_<

and then frikken DeRosso's castle is a beeyat! I couldnt even survive a single battle in there! all that work for nothing :cry:

I finally figured out some good tactics to fight my way thru that dungeon, but ugh it's tough...

anyways, nobody cares about Bravely D anymore... the Type 0 patch is here!

I need $40 to fix my PSP now ;_;

level up what tho?

the actual levels in the game seem irrelevant... it's all about job and abilities,

so which job and abilities do I focus or which ones do I use for this instance?

First time posting in this thread. So, Hello!

Anyways, I've been playing P4: Golden but I'm stuck in the fight with Ameno-Sagiri. I can get it's health all the way down when it starts to use 'Bewildering Fog'. This seems to been when it's close to half health and possibly even less. Currently my MC, Kanji, Teddie and Yosuke are at level 79 or 80. I don't think levels are the issue when I think it has more to do with strategy. I have heard that de-buffing Ameno helps and I might as well get healing/sp items before I try again. Any help is appreciated.

Hi, Welcome!

Your party sucks. That's probably not true as from what I understand P4G evened out the party with some more skills and made it so the original four weren't the best four. I honestly can't offer much help since it's been so long since I've played the game because I'm not some weird person who procrastinated on playing one of the best games ever made only to get stuck with a worse voice actor for Chie, but yes, generally debuffing enemies and buffing your characters was always the strategy against bosses in that game. Having a good stack of SP regenerating items would also be a good idea. If you have a Soma to pop when that fight starts, that should also help depending on how you're during HP/MP wise coming in. When Bewildering Fog goes up, it's all about just holding out until it drops and guarding against his laser.

Our resident BlueShinra just went through that version of the game herself so she should be able to offer some advice whenever she comes around.

Our resident BlueShinra just went through that version of the game herself so she should be able to offer some advice whenever she comes around.
I still have all my P4 (PS2) save files, so I'll take a look later at what skills, levels, etc. my team had for that fight. I do remember that my team was Teddie, Kanji, and Yukiko. I think there was a certain piece of equipment that helped a lot, and like Indignate said, you need a decent amount SP replenishing items (I usually try to hoard them as much as possible for these sorts of SMT/Persona bosses). IIRC, I didn't beat him on the first try, but I did on the second or third; the Bewildering Fog threw me off at first as well.

Oh, and welcome to the thread :)

level up what tho?

the actual levels in the game seem irrelevant... it's all about job and abilities,

so which job and abilities do I focus or which ones do I use for this instance?
For non bosses just get 4x valkyrie skill set, equip a decent weapon, use all your BP on the first turn on everyone and use the attack all.

For bosses I worked around the Spiritmaster's Elemental Immunity spell, a freelancer mime + performer BP Up song, and a DK spamming Dark Nebula (with Elemental Immunity on the party and elemental absorb on the DK) and/or a Pirate with Swordmaster's Free Lunch spamming Amped Strike.

A lot of different classes are viable but that's the easiest one I've figured out.

I think I was in the mid 50s when I was at that point. You can probably level to 60+ if you're having trouble.
whaaaaat did u not hear me say regular leveling is irrelevant?!?!

I dont care if u level 69! when a pack of wolves or bats get the drop on you you're boned!!

the only thing balancing the game's difficulty in that particular castle is the autosaving between floors, coz once u enter one the only thing getting you to the next staircase is luck!

(or turning the encounters off, coz 7 floors and I dont even think I level'd up once...)

that said I did beat it last nite... and the boss DeRosso was ez.

two Templars to make sure you almost always have Rampart, one support / healing class, and an attacker.

a bit of patience and the boss goes down without a problem! it's all about tactics!!!

For non bosses just get 4x valkyrie skill set, equip a decent weapon, use all your BP on the first turn on everyone and use the attack all.

For bosses I worked around the Spiritmaster's Elemental Immunity spell, a freelancer mime + performer BP Up song, and a DK spamming Dark Nebula (with Elemental Immunity on the party and elemental absorb on the DK) and/or a Pirate with Swordmaster's Free Lunch spamming Amped Strike.

A lot of different classes are viable but that's the easiest one I've figured out.
see this guy knows what he talkin about!!

I gotta write this down o_O

Okay, if Reno's still here, I've got my save file stats (cut for length):

This is from my save file that's immediately post-Ameno-Sagiri. My pre-fight file has Yosuke in the party; still pretty sure I didn't use him, and chances are I'd changed some other things before taking that boss on (if it makes a difference, he was in the mid-70s, level-wise). Some characters' stats might've been lower (by one level) when I faced it, but everything else should be accurate.

Main Character
- lv. 82
- equipped Persona: Michael
- other on-hand Personas: Satan, Sraosha, Anubis, Tzitzimitl, Barong, Hell Biker. I seem to remember relying mostly on Satan and Michael for this boss battle.
- equipment: El Caliente, Nubatama Suit, Book of the Void (cannot recommend this enough-- best accessory in the game)

Yukiko - healer/spellcaster #1, highest magic stat in my party (MC notwithstanding)
- lv. 75
- equipment: Noblesse Oblige, Shinra Robe, Chakra Ring
- She was the only character out of those I picked who I felt was absolutely required. I like both Kanji and Teddie as characters, and they're great party members, but I needed Yukiko to be there.

Kanji - highest strength stat in my party (MC notwithstanding)
- lv. 75
- equipment: Phalanx, Mikagura Vest, Barbaric Bracers

Teddie - healer/spellcaster #2
- lv. 77
- equipment: Needle Spike, Mikagura Vest, Book of the Void

I also had a lot of HP/status healing items. It's a good idea to spam those whenever possible and conserve SP for other uses.

The only other thing I clearly remember about this fight is that I took direct control over at least two other characters during it. This was an option I generally used only during boss battles anyway, since it's handy and mitigates nasty surprises :razz:

Don't know how much this'll help, but hope it at least gives you some ideas. Good luck :)

Okay, if Reno's still here, I've got my save file stats (cut for length):

This is from my save file that's immediately post-Ameno-Sagiri. My pre-fight file has Yosuke in the party; still pretty sure I didn't use him, and chances are I'd changed some other things before taking that boss on (if it makes a difference, he was in the mid-70s, level-wise). Some characters' stats might've been lower (by one level) when I faced it, but everything else should be accurate.

Main Character
- lv. 82
- equipped Persona: Michael
- other on-hand Personas: Satan, Sraosha, Anubis, Tzitzimitl, Barong, Hell Biker. I seem to remember relying mostly on Satan and Michael for this boss battle.
- equipment: El Caliente, Nubatama Suit, Book of the Void (cannot recommend this enough-- best accessory in the game)

Yukiko - healer/spellcaster #1, highest magic stat in my party (MC notwithstanding)
- lv. 75
- equipment: Noblesse Oblige, Shinra Robe, Chakra Ring
- She was the only character out of those I picked who I felt was absolutely required. I like both Kanji and Teddie as characters, and they're great party members, but I needed Yukiko to be there.

Kanji - highest strength stat in my party (MC notwithstanding)
- lv. 75
- equipment: Phalanx, Mikagura Vest, Barbaric Bracers

Teddie - healer/spellcaster #2
- lv. 77
- equipment: Needle Spike, Mikagura Vest, Book of the Void

I also had a lot of HP/status healing items. It's a good idea to spam those whenever possible and conserve SP for other uses.

The only other thing I clearly remember about this fight is that I took direct control over at least two other characters during it. This was an option I generally used only during boss battles anyway, since it's handy and mitigates nasty surprises :razz:

Don't know how much this'll help, but hope it at least gives you some ideas. Good luck :)
Thanks for getting back to me! Sadly, I don't have the 'Book of the Void'. I have direct control over my whole entire party that even includes the characters outside of the battle. I think I'm going to grind for levels/money and then buy up items and I might even switch out Yosuke for Yukiko if that might help. It might take awhile, since she's only level 23. Although in most RPG's it seems that party members gain multiple levels the lower they are, and the higher the dungeon/place that you are in. Or at least that was my experience with the game when I played it on the PS2. Kinda wish this part with Ameno-Sagiri was like Wingul, Gaius and Muzet in Tales of Xillia. All I had to do was get to level 80 (including party members) and their special attacks and attacks in general did low amounts of damage.

Current Personas For MC: Suparna, Loki, Yulungur, Melchezidek, Tzitzmil, Belial, Belphegor, Mother Harlot, Kartikeya, Horus and Black Frost. Level 80
Equipment: Triump, Nutabatama Suit and Fire Vow. Level 79

Yosuke Equipment: Hattori, Talisman Cape and Power Belt. Level 79

Kanji Equipment: Black Targe, Komaryo Uchinugi and Silver Locket Level 79

Teddie Equipment: Jakotsu Claw, Komaryo Uchinugi and Book of Serenity Level 80

whaaaaat did u not hear me say regular leveling is irrelevant?!?!

I dont care if u level 69! when a pack of wolves or bats get the drop on you you're boned!!
I'm sorry, dude, but that's just not true. There are certainly some rough fights in the game, but if wolves are still getting the jump on you, you might just need to level more. Exp AND JP. Base level absolutely has an impact on your stats.

a bit of patience and the boss goes down without a problem! it's all about tactics!!!

see this guy knows what he talkin about!!

I gotta write this down o_O
It is all about tactics. If you're done trying to experiment and you just want to kill, just start digging around for the OP combos. There's a lot of documentation out there. I think at the end of the game, my damned near unkillable squad was a Dual-Shield Knight/Performer tank, Pirate/Swordmaster insane damage dealer, Spiritmaster/White Mage healer, and a Templar/Salve-Maker buffer and de-buffer.

I used the DK tactic that Kain listed for a while, and it's definitely a good one. I find personally that a lot of people sleep on the Salve-Maker's ability to debuff based on elements, not to mention the fact that they can double your health and revive for free. Spell Fencers and Hunters are great for both exploiting and creating weaknesses too. The Time Mage's Hasten World ability is great for keeping your BP up, but some bosses have special directives that they'll shift to in order to get the most out of their BP as well. It can get dangerous.

If you find you're just getting wailed on too often, try having a Merchant use Low Leverage to cut the values of everything on the field in half. Then taunt with your Counter-Amp'd Swordmaster and watch as you STILL get 9999 while everyone else caps around 5k.

The Dual-Shield Knight build is fun too, especially when you use the ability that uses your defense stat to gauge damage done. Then you can defend your dudes, buff the party, and still deal 9999 when your turn rolls around.

Seriously, almost every class brings something to the table in this game. I did a lot of experimenting, and Summoner was pretty much the only class that I cut and run on. Just can't find much about it that Black Mage can't do better.

Just tried the Amengo-Sagiri battle again, and this time I still lost. Although it was only because he/she/it started using x3 moves "Agneystra", "God's Judgement" and a De-Buff skill. I tried my idea of leveling up Yukiko but I ended up giving up on that because it wasn't going as fast as I wanted it to in Adachi's World. I sort of wish there was a way to change the difficulty instead of having it permanently set in stone from the beginning. I have this feeling that I should get a few more levels even though people are pretty much at 83 and 82 now that are in my party.

I did however end up hoarding some Anti-Biotic Gel or whichever one heals '400' HP of my choosing. I've got a Chewing Soul and two of the other items that give out '10 SP' I'm pretty sure that I'd have to hoard the MP/SP healing items from the dungeons or chests since I haven't found a place that sells them and I doubt there is one. I'm currently at 12/15 and knowing how the game is "Doom and Gloom at the end of the year" I have a feeling I won't be able to accomplish this battle even though I have Adachi down but Ameno-Sagiri is a different story. I could get a few more levels but I still don't think that's the problem since it's nothing like Tales of Xillia where you out-level the end two boss's so they don't damage you as much as they did before.  :wall:

I'm pretty sure Action! knows way more about BD than I do.

Levels are important because of stats, speed is really important.

I'm on the sixth day in Devil Survivor, and keeping track of all the plot threads is a bit tricky. For instance,
I'd forgotten about Gin's meeting at noon, even though the previous time I saw him, earlier that same day, his death clock was at 0. Of course, I forgot about all that and go do other stuff, then find out from Shoji at 13:00 that he died -_-; I still have a save file for 12:00, so thinking of going back to do that battle.
Normally, it's not my style to backtrack like this, but I've been doing that sort of thing more than usual in this game… though up until now, it hasn't typically been for plot-related reasons  :???:

…Eh, maybe I'll just move on with the story from my most recent save. However, I had been planning to follow this plot thread, back when I had it well in mind.

I'm really on the fence...

I've been playing Type-0 and the time management in this game is kind of stupid. As of now, you can't really miss anything important, but there is a reason why it takes three playthroughs to get your Ultima weapons.

Just finally beat Ameno-Sagiri in Persona 4: Golden. Ended up sticking with my original team (MC, Yosuke, Kanji and Teddie) but I got all of their levels to 85 and 86. I ended up using healing items, Teddies healing and Kanji for 'Primal Force' and the MC for Dekaja. I'm glad that I finally finished the battle but I'm quite discouraged to learn that all I'm doing now in the game is waiting for the last Exam in school and the Ski trip. Unless something actually important happens I find that to be filler just for the sake of adding it in. Hopefully, another time-skip happens so I don't have to wait two whole in-game months. I'd imagine the exam would bring one since they've always done in the past. 

Nevertheless, I still enjoy the game immensely and I'll play it again later on (Definitely not any time soon). My other problem with the game is how when going through a dungeon getting to the end, and then restarting over to grind means that you either have to get to end again, or continue on from where you left off.  This is a slight other gripe is when the MC creates the Omelette but only Nanako tries it out and not his friends.  I would have liked to see some feedback from them even if it was minimal. Regardless, I still enjoy the game and it's one of my favorites to keep on playing but those are my little problems with the game. I also like the new content they added into the game but this last part feels like padding/filler. 

Congrats!

This is a slight other gripe is when the MC creates the Omelette but only Nanako tries it out and not his friends. I would have liked to see some feedback from them even if it was minimal.
That's a strange thing to have a gripe about, especially since the omelets were made for Nanako. Did you think that she's that biased toward her cousin? o_O;

Congrats!

That's a strange thing to have a gripe about, especially since the omelets were made for Nanako. Did you think that she's that biased toward her cousin? o_O;
Well, unless I'm mistaken the Omelette's that (Yukiko, Rise and Chie) made were still the horrible food known as 'Mysstery Food X'. And all of his friends had tried that Omelettes that they had made including Nanako. When they get around to his it just happens to be Nanako. If anything, I just wanted feedback from the others just to add to it. This could also already add onto the hijinx and hilarity that already happens in the game. the MC's omelette is left out in the cold without only one food tester. It could have at least received the same treatment as theirs. :whistle2:

I understand where you're coming from, but have you ever tasted something that was so good that you don't even think of sharing it with anyone? Especially when you were a kid? That's Nanako's Big Bromlette in a nutshell :3 It also lends the MC's cooking skillz an air of mystery amongst his friends, which is humorous in its own way.

I understand where you're coming from, but have you ever tasted something that was so good that you don't even think of sharing it with anyone? Especially when you were a kid? That's Nanako's Big Bromlette in a nutshell :3 It also lends the MC's cooking skillz an air of mystery amongst his friends, which is humorous in its own way.
I see where you're coming from. I can't exactly remember anything like that when I was kid but I'm sure it happened. How you've explained it I can see how it all works out in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back