RPG Thread XIX is getting a rhythm game spinoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only asked for the distinction because in Golden you're told "Hey, this is a pretty important moment. You should save before you fuck up." I've never plated any version but P4G, so I had no idea if they were as forthcoming in the PS2 one.

So is the previous evening still the last time you can save in Golden before that whole big chunk of story? I would think they'd at least throw in a mandatory "would you like to save" prompt before you enter that game-changing room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be a fight in 8 that blows that up. I'll be curious.

Game's only as broken as you let it be. If you're bored with it, why not try some other classes out? This is far from the first JRPG to have broken job combos. I get that not everyone's in for for the strategizing and fights, but it's not like you can't burn through chapters 5-8 super quick if you want to.
I've tried a lot of classes out, actually, but it just feels so wimpy.

(Both the DK and the thief have Pirate/Swordmaster maxed so they can access the Free Lunch/Amped Strike combo. Ideally I would move Spiritism to the DK, and have my current Spiritmaster/WHM turn into Salvemaker/WHM.)

I wish they removed the four digit damage cap though.

I've tried a lot of classes out, actually, but it just feels so wimpy.

(Both the DK and the thief have Pirate/Swordmaster maxed so they can access the Free Lunch/Amped Strike combo. Ideally I would move Spiritism to the DK, and have my current Spiritmaster/WHM turn into Salvemaker/WHM.)

I wish they removed the four digit damage cap though.
Yeah, I feel ya. You can break it using Bravely Second, but I thought it would have made for a nice sense of progression if you unlocked it.

I actually liked Dark Knight/Thief a lot. Life Thief with high attack made for free DK moves and great survivability. I just had a lot of fun finding ways to make classes viable. They pretty much all have something awesome about them.

Except Summoner. Summoner sucks.

Might be a fight in 8 that blows that up. I'll be curious.
The Yulyana/Mephilia/Qada/Ominas fight? I wiped like 5 times on it, cause of OHKO. First two times from Mephilia, then I focus on Mephilia, killer her, and Yulyana did the same damn thing and I wiped 2 more times. Don't think the fire charms did anything. So I had Agnes just sleep 4x each turn, and took them down that way.

So I think I'm gonna give up on Lightning Returns.  I've completed most of the Wildlands and opening city (forget the name), and a good amount in the other areas and I'm just... bored.  The battle system barely evolves and the concept of needing to get abilities as item drops kills 90% of any sense of progression.  The story is boring, confusing, and due to the "open" nature of the game just not very grand in scope.

Game is especially disappointing after playing the glorious Bravely Default.  Sigh.

The Yulyana/Mephilia/Qada/Ominas fight? I wiped like 5 times on it, cause of OHKO. First two times from Mephilia, then I focus on Mephilia, killer her, and Yulyana did the same damn thing and I wiped 2 more times. Don't think the fire charms did anything. So I had Agnes just sleep 4x each turn, and took them down that way.
Ooh, clever. I ended up
using Low Leverage and Before Swine as my main strategy. With buffs and counter amp, I still had Tiz and Edea returning hits for 9999 even with values halved. Did everything in my power not to touch Qada until everyone else was cleared out. Dark Sigh is a pain in the ass. The only hiccups were from Yulyana recasting Reflect after I would dispel him. It would bounce one of them to my party and mess up my healing.

And yeah, far as I can tell Fire Bane overrides EVERYTHING you have. I was thinking I'd be all clever rolling in with Iceflame shields, but NOPE.

Persona 4; breakthrough!

God damn, six dialogue choices in a row?!

- "Wait a second here…" (answered differently on the second and third go-rounds)
- "We're missing something." (answered differently on the first go-round)
- "Namatame's true feelings."
- "Something's bothering me." (answered differently on the fourth [previous] go-round)
- "We're missing something…" (I'm not exactly sure why this is so close to the second choice, but it seemed to fit the best)
- "Calm the hell down!"

That seems to be it; third route is a go. Got it on my first attempt today, thank goodness. Taking a break now...

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I just picked up Ni No Kuni for $7 from the PSN sale (how is that thing 22BG?!).  Hopefully I'll play it later this spring - can't start it yet since Dark Souls II comes out in 3 days! Yay!

I was relatively list on RPGs last year, only playing Radiant Historia and Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen.  Looking forward to more in 2014.  Playing Diablo 3 also with my wife, but that's only really half-RPG.

Very rarely do I buy games when they come out, bravely default was one of them.

I don't mind being late to any RPG party, haha.

Persona 4; breakthrough!

God damn, six dialogue choices in a row?!

- "Wait a second here…" (answered differently on the second and third go-rounds)
- "We're missing something." (answered differently on the first go-round)
- "Namatame's true feelings."
- "Something's bothering me." (answered differently on the fourth [previous] go-round)
- "We're missing something…" (I'm not exactly sure why this is so close to the second choice, but it seemed to fit the best)
- "Calm the hell down!"

That seems to be it; third route is a go. Got it on my first attempt today, thank goodness. Taking a break now...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAefGu7EIOk

Every time that video pops up you just lose ten minutes of your life.

I know how it is man.

The entirety of my knowledge of the Persona franchise:

0NflPd8.gif

That was pretty cool I guess.

(I don't promise to not clog up this thread, too, while waiting for the show to come back.)

Every time that video pops up you just lose ten minutes of your life.

I know how it is man.
The only thing worse is Naoto's battle dialogue… it's so histrionic.

Also, I'm now up to the part where...
...they suspect that Adachi is the real culprit for the first two murders. I always thought there was something fishy about him, the way he updates the gang about confidential police stuff all the time >_O

Speaking of Naoto (I'm going to spoiler this cuz evidently this is still a super secret)

Everyone knew she was a girl from the get-go, right? It's not some big mystery, right?

Speaking of Naoto (I'm going to spoiler this cuz evidently this is still a super secret)

Everyone knew she was a girl from the get-go, right? It's not some big mystery, right?
Since I was a weirdo and my entry point to the franchise was P4A, yeah, I knew.

I mean, still pretty obvious.

I AM FREE FROM CUTSCENE LAND \o/

Now to complete some fetch quests, finish maxing out my personality, make more BFFs, and tell my kouhai how cute she is. Hope I have enough time to do all that @_@

Finished Bravely Default. That second half was very disappointing through and through, both gameplay and story-wise.

And not just the fact that you gotta redo the world 4 times, but the quality of the story and the attempt to really twist everything seemed really contrived. Good ideas, sloppy/cheesy execution.

I think I knew before I even started the game.
Reviewers are so fucking bad at being vague when it comes to spoilers.

I think I knew before I even started the game.
Reviewers are so fucking bad at being vague when it comes to spoilers.
Much the same here (plus the whole "transgender" thing that ended up being something else), but it's pretty obvious when you first encounter her in-game that her voice actor is a woman.

And agreed about reviewers. I don't even read reviews anymore for games I want to play until after I'm done with them.

Finished Bravely Default. That second half was very disappointing through and through, both gameplay and story-wise.

And not just the fact that you gotta redo the world 4 times, but the quality of the story and the attempt to really twist everything seemed really contrived. Good ideas, sloppy/cheesy execution.
I actually really dug the turn the story took, I just think there was a better way or illustrating the Groundhog Day effect. I had fun learning more about the Eternian Forces and I dug the new formations they brought to the table, but even I started to lose steam and I'm a pretty open apologist for the game.

I think the concepts of disobeying and refusing to follow Airy's orders were great on paper, but the amount of time and reps it took to plow through to the true ending was definitely a bit much. I do think that the story supporting the act of streetpassing/summoning/etc was actually extremely cool and well implemented though.

Getting really pumped for FFX HD Remaster. I was going to try and beat Kingdom Hearts Final Mix before I started playing FFX, but that may not happen.

Yeah, I'm just gonna plow through the rest of LoS2 and try to get through Stick of Truth before I lose my life to FFX/X-2 HD. 

I actually really dug the turn the story took, I just think there was a better way or illustrating the Groundhog Day effect. I had fun learning more about the Eternian Forces and I dug the new formations they brought to the table, but even I started to lose steam and I'm a pretty open apologist for the game.

I think the concepts of disobeying and refusing to follow Airy's orders were great on paper, but the amount of time and reps it took to plow through to the true ending was definitely a bit much. I do think that the story supporting the act of streetpassing/summoning/etc was actually extremely cool and well implemented though.
I think they were all good concepts but failed execution.

I thought the battles were fairly balanced pre-Eternia, but then battles after Chapter 5 were generally annoying and I turned the encounter rate down to 0%.

I don't like the idea that Airy is the villain, in fact, it calls to question where the hell she came from to begin with. More or less, I disliked how she fit into the stereotypical role of "cute animal/companion in your party" and she ends up being the mastermind, it doesn't feel like a good use of stereotypes.

Not only is she the villain, but she's a lackey to Ouroborous for some reason. Why not just make her the main villain?

The changing of the title screen was way too cheesy.

Parallel worlds is another great concept with horrible execution. It seemed like they wanted the Celestial Realm to be the area where we real people live, but it didn't pull it off. It's nice that they used cute tricks like using the 3D camera to take your picture at the end and display it in game, but it just doesn't make sense if you try and think about all the worlds like that, because then there are now multiple Ouroborous if you consider other people's games.

I'm all for simple stories too as I often defend FF1 in this thread, but it's when you try to complicate yourself that you run into trouble. They should've just kept it simple.

After about 15 hours in, I just couldn't handle any more Xenogears. I am sure if I had played this game in the 90's I'd be all into it, but as it stands in 2014, its just not working for me. The story is good, but the gameplay elements just don't make playing it worth the effort. Maybe I'll come back to it when I'm bored.

So I started up Tales of Symphonia instead. And I fucking love this game. I've been plowing thru it since this past weekend. Such a good story with interesting characters. Oh, and the dungeon puzzles are some of the best. When I played it on the Gamecube years ago, I rushed thru the last half of the game, skipped almost all the sidequests, paid little attention to the skits, and really don't remember much at all about the ending. So this time I am paying closer attention and taking my time.

If you can make it past Kislev, the game gets so much better. After that there's only one more truly horrible gameplay part.

The story isn't even good yet. The story still sucks, lol.

Just pre-ordered the HD Remaster of Final Fantasy X/X-2 and bought Tales of Xillia and Valkyria Chronicles as well since I now own a PS3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back