RPG Thread XIX is getting a rhythm game spinoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started playing Bravely Default again!

or as I now call it, Bravely D.

how's the pirate class?

I just unlocked it but am reluctant to try it out as I'm too comfortable with my current setup

(Tiz Hunter, Ringbel Sword Mage, Angus support mage, Edea Valkyria)

tho the Valkyria kinda sucks... maybe I can swap that one out??

Valkyrie is a really good farming class, and before you get a lot of broken stuff, high jump is pretty nifty. (Side note: you can't be targeted on the turn you come down from a jump.)

Pirates have some tricks but they're mostly single target damage and boss focused IMO.

I think you mean awesome. There are really only a few that I don't like, chief among them being Auron's Theme. They took one of the best songs of the game and fucked it.

Made it to Zanarkand. Feels city.

I'm largely not a fan of the FFX remasters. The neutered vocals in the boss battle theme and Summoned Beast Battle bum me out. It won't ruin my playthrough, but I won't be replacing the original soundtrack on itunes or anything.

Bravely D; Pirate is near the top as far as damage potential goes. High damage and debuffs are a killer combination.

I like Valkyrie a lot, but there are classes that spend BP better. It's great with Red Mage support abilities.

I'm onto what used to be Disc 2 of Tales of Symphonia. Some of the best dungeon puzzles are in this game, but also some are just plain annoying. I don't recall Graces f or Xillia having any challenging dungeon puzzles at all; most of their dungeons are pretty simple and straight-forward. Symphonia has a puzzle in every dungeon, and most of the time, navigating the dungeon itself is a puzzle. Its just one more reason why Symphonia is my favorite Tales of game, and one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

I did pick up the LE of FFX/X-2 HD Remaster, and I really wish I hadn't. The damn thing sticks out awkwardly on my shelf. First chance I get to swap it out for a more traditional packaging, I'm doing it. The artbook ain't worth the OCD headache.

I started playing Bravely Default again!

or as I now call it, Bravely D.

how's the pirate class?

I just unlocked it but am reluctant to try it out as I'm too comfortable with my current setup
Pirate might not be too helpful yet, but the atk/magic/defense debuffs were reeeeeally helpful towards the end.

Was gonna start either Bravely or Devil Survivor Overclocked but was sick/tired over the weekend (not tired anymore, but still sick) + got Steins;Gate download code today… SORRY JRPG BACKLOG :whistle2:|

But is the Keyblade in Kingdom Hearts 3 morphing into dual pistols ala Devil May Cry going back to its roots?
I haven't kept up with KH3 news, so my reaction to this was split between "wait, what?!" and "yep, sounds like Nomura".

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
:<

Last edited by a moderator:
Was gonna start either Bravely or Devil Survivor Overclocked but was sick/tired over the weekend (not tired anymore, but still sick) + got Steins;Gate download code today… SORRY JRPG BACKLOG :whistle2:|
I wanna start S;G but I'm not gonna have time for a few weeks :/ Hoping the internet can stay spoiler-free for a little while...

I wanna start S;G but I'm not gonna have time for a few weeks :/ Hoping the internet can stay spoiler-free for a little while...
I don't like unmarked spoilers myself, so you can count on me not to spill any, at least ;) Right now, all I'll say is that the story's pretty interesting so far.

final fantasy 15 sure looks traditional
Square just needs to release it already so fans can stop talking about how XIII destroyed the series and XV is the savior that will bring back everything they love about Final Fantasy; and begin talking about how XV destroyed the series and XVI is the savior that will bring back everything they love about Final Fantasy.

I wonder how much additional story/how different Steins;Gate is from the anime.  It's one of the best shows I've ever seen. Despite having an absolutely terrible beginning where I almost stopped watching, after 6 or so episodes I watched the remainder in almost 1 sitting...

Awesome that they translated it for the US, though I'd love it on Vita...

Sort of getting through Vagrant Story, feeling sloppy with the battles. Not sure when I can craft something useful.

Also picked up Valkyrie Profile 2 off ebay. Always wanted to try it.

Square just needs to release it already so fans can stop talking about how XIII destroyed the series and XV is the savior that will bring back everything they love about Final Fantasy; and begin talking about how XV destroyed the series and XVI is the savior that will bring back everything they love about Final Fantasy.
Lots of KH fans out there. That's where all the FF15 optimism is coming from. Not to mention the strange sort of nostalgia people have for Versus since it's been advertised for like 8 years now.

I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Love the main character design, but some of the footage still looks dated.

DrakenGard 3 Collectors Edition is available for pre-order right now. Get it before they run out again

www.store.na.square-enix.com

Anyone here play Dragon Quest V? Any impressions?
Story-wise, it's my favorite in the series (hell, it's one of my favorite JRPG stories ever), and has some fun features like the Treasures and Trapdoors minigame. Beyond that, it's pretty much a standard DQ game, which may or may not be a bad thing depending on what you like.

DQ5 definitely my favorite of the series. I thought it was DQ6, but nope. DQ5 is just so good and the remake helps it quite a bit.

How's Blue Dragon? It's in my backlog, saw it on Amazon months ago for pretty cheap, it looked interesting and the fact a previous Square employee made it sold it to me. So far I'm impressed just browsing over the manual - an actual, full manual that's even thick, reminded me of the good old days with the FF manuals. Hoping it's good and I didn't waste money since I don't usually blind buy but it just struck me as something that was one of those overlooked but awesome kinda games.

So I'm going on a huge DS game buying spree. I did the same thing with PS2 RPGs a few years ago. How's FFXII: Revenant Wings? Are any of the Etrian Odyssey's worth buying? I have both 3DS ones but haven't started them yet. 

Edit: Nevermind, got FFXII.

DrakenGard 3 Collectors Edition is available for pre-order right now. Get it before they run out again

www.store.na.square-enix.com
Missed it and I'm sorta kicking myself over it. Have been finishing up Nier and really want more from this development team, but I only buy Collectors editions day one. Guess I'll just have to wait till the regular edition goes down to $20.

Final Fantasy VI was my favorite FF game for 13 years, until Final Fantasy XII replaced it. Really exceptional game.

ETA: Oh, realized you were talking about Revenant Wings. Blargh.

Haha, it's alright. I personally liked FF XII. Vaan was a rather dull character but the game overall was awesome. MMO-styled combat <3.

Lemme know what you think. I meant to pick it up after beating XII on PS2, just never got around to it.
Will do! It had been on my radar for quite some time and I guess I had just completely forgotten about it.

It should be arriving early next week.

Haha, it's alright. I personally liked FF XII. Vaan was a rather dull character but the game overall was awesome. MMO-styled combat <3.
The game's combat was initially what gave me pause when it first came out. I'm glad I circled back and gave it a shot last year though, I ended up really enjoying it.

Ivalice for life.

The combat and organization was great.  The story was so confusing and forgettable, though, along with most of the characters.  Still one of my favorite FF games.

Oddly enough, even though I really liked the Gambit system, I found the similar system in Dragon Age confusing and hard to use.  Maybe it was just bad timing for me, though.

*sees FFXII talk, zones out*

One day I will give FFXII another chance. One day, but for right now, I have Phantom Brave lined up in my sole "give a game another chance" slot.

Are any of the Etrian Odyssey's worth buying? I have both 3DS ones but haven't started them yet.
The Etrian Odyssey series is really iterative, so if you have the 3DS ones, there's no point in getting the old ones unless you're up for a challenge, since they're harder. This is especially true of Millennium Girl, given that one of its modes is a remake of the first game.

Also, speaking of Ivalice, are you picking up FFTA2? It's one of the more underappreciated Final Fantasies out there, IMO.

So I'm going on a huge DS game buying spree. I did the same thing with PS2 RPGs a few years ago. How's FFXII: Revenant Wings? Are any of the Etrian Odyssey's worth buying? I have both 3DS ones but haven't started them yet.

Edit: Nevermind, got FFXII.
I didn't like Revenant Wings that much.

As for the DS Etrian Odysseys, I thought EO2 to be the best in the series. EO1 is the hardest, but it forces you to have a paladin for end game. In terms of difficulty, it goes EO1>EO2>EO3>EO4, so... yea. In EO4, you can OHKO end game bosses.

*sees FFXII talk, zones out*

One day I will give FFXII another chance. One day, but for right now, I have Phantom Brave lined up in my sole "give a game another chance" slot.

The Etrian Odyssey series is really iterative, so if you have the 3DS ones, there's no point in getting the old ones unless you're up for a challenge, since they're harder. This is especially true of Millennium Girl, given that one of its modes is a remake of the first game.

Also, speaking of Ivalice, are you picking up FFTA2? It's one of the more underappreciated Final Fantasies out there, IMO.
I didn't like FFXII either. The gambit system bored me to tears. It got so easy to me, that I progressively hunted monsters higher and higher in level. But when I started doing single digit damage, I gave up. The balance was poor in that game.

And I still prefer FFTA to FFTA2. They nerfed everything interesting in FFTA2 to the point that any job that isn't a heavy hitter is completely useless. Status effects were more reliable in FFTA.

Hey so I haven't shilled for a Kickstarter for a while but Julian Gollop's (Xcom creator) new game has three days left. It'll make its minimum goal, but every little bit is nice.

I don't care about any of these things really.

What I want is my FFXIII Fabula Nova Crystallis Collecton remasted in extra High Defintion on the PS4.

As for the DS Etrian Odysseys, I thought EO2 to be the best in the series. EO1 is the hardest, but it forces you to have a paladin for end game. In terms of difficulty, it goes EO1>EO2>EO3>EO4, so... yea. In EO4, you can OHKO end game bosses.
EO2 certainly had the best difficulty/fairness balance, though there's some other things I think they could've done better. Difficulty notwithstanding, the games have only gotten better with each new entry… but having that challenge matters so much. Wonder how Millennium Girl's hard mode is…

(Also don't remember being able to OHKO endgame bosses, but none of the game's bosses or FOEs were too much trouble. I did occasionally find myself running into certain FOEs I was unprepared for, though.)

Going to start Persona 3 soon, should I get the psp version or play my copy of FES? portability or screen size don't matter to me, I'm mostly curious about the controlling your other party members feature in P3P. How competent is the AI in FES? As long as they're not spamming the instant death attacks to no end but use the enemy's weakness I should be fine. I also don't plan on playing "The Answer" or on hard difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back