RPG Thread XIX is getting a rhythm game spinoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it at least like Squall where he has long internal monologues about how miserable he is, and then when it's time to speak he just says "..." ?
Unfortunately Ludger is pretty much silent except for the occasional dialogue choice. Once you beat the game once, the grade shop has a 0 Grade option to have Ludger voice the R1/L1 choice options throughout the game but that's it.

I beat the game, but the protagonist being silent did annoy me a little, however I became more used to it as the game progressed. The main reason for that annoyance is because the game is rather dark when compared to previous Tales games and allies talk to you but you don't really talk back outside of dialogue choices. Besides that, I think adding in the three types of attack types on Ludger along side the whole L1+X type attacks was a bit too much and bloated the combat system a bit. Finally I think that while I kinda thought Nova was ok, fuck that tramp the moment you gain X amount over the repayment amount. They let up on it at the end of the game but christ it was annoying especially since you're forced to pay the full amount once you're X amount over or she nags you EVERY TIME YOU LOAD until that particular payment is finished because you're that set amount beyond the payment requirement. So you're forced to endure it until you buy a bunch of stuff or pay off the entire set and receive the next set.

Those are really my only issues with the game. I enjoyed it quite a bit otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue, make sure you go to that giantass Lichdom booth and tell them that the only reason why you bought the game was for the dope ass animations that maybe some guy named Ian worked on and whom should probably get a bonus or something.
I will try and remember to do so :razz:

Finally got the best ending in The Witch and the Hundred Knight. I gotta say that last boss was pretty badass looking
maxresdefault.jpg

Shame the boss was so poorly designed with them just throwing a barrage of shit at you. At least NIS is moving on to what their great at with Disgaea 5.

I finally got Xenoblade Chronicles. I had some GS credit and birthday coupon so it came out at a decent price. I'm going to try it out today.  

Dangit about 7.  Not completely unexpected at this point, and I still hold out a sliver of hope, but it's only a small sliver at this point.

I really tried to like the first Rocket Quest on DS, and just couldn't get into it.  I found it very boring, though a cool concept.

I started playing Suikoden. I got to the part where you try to repo the castle from the dragon.

This game gives you more fake choices than a Telltale game.

I played about 5 hours of Xenoblade. Damn that game is deep. Hit you right in the feels. I just have to get use to the battle system. I also played a little bit of Earthbound too. I never had a SNES so I decided to download a couple of SNES games. This game is weird and fun. 

I played about 5 hours of Xenoblade. Damn that game is deep. Hit you right in the feels. I just have to get use to the battle system. I also played a little bit of Earthbound too. I never had a SNES so I decided to download a couple of SNES games. This game is weird and fun.
If you are someone who likes to do everything, good luck. fuck the amount of sidequests in that game and their stupid requirements in order to even accept the quest.

If you are someone who likes to do everything, good luck. fuck the amount of sidequests in that game and their stupid requirements in order to even accept the quest.
There is a ton of quests, even in the first town. The game does have that "don't go in this area if you don't want to die" feel.

Going to start P4A soon, so today, I finally went back to Persona 4 and did the True Ending route (and once again, yay for FAQs). It took awhile, but I'm glad that I've finally seen it.

Oh, also, my husband's currently playing FF6 (with the goal of actually beating it this time). Watched him go through the Opera this past weekend-- that whole bit is still fantastic, and, to my surprise, the scene with Celes' solo actually made me tear up.

I think I'm kind of in an RPG rut atm, Tales of Xillia 2 is just ok so I'm not blazing through it, I'm at the last bit of Bravely Default but stuck at a certain boss so I'm grinding but really not feeling like doing it. Diablo 3 is pretty fun, but mainly play that with my wife and haven't ad a whole lot of time to do that lately. Maybe that'll change when Inquisition finally hits.

Anyone else playing/played Tales of Xillia 2 recently and look back at the Leia character chapters? I find it quite funny with all the stuff happening in the gaming news the past month.

Wasteland 2 can be obnoxiously shitty in the way that only a game made before the early 2000s can be but I have a herd of screaming goats following me around and enough bren guns to outfit my entire squad so on the whole things are looking up for me.

EDIT: If anyone finds muddy goatprints all over Ranger Citadel I swear it wasn't me.

I saw the trailer for that Wasteland 2 and maaaaan that game looks awesome!!

it makes me that much more spiteful of my lack of gaming time...

if they ever made games that u can play in your sleep, that would be sum next gen shyt.

like fukk 1080p, I'm all about 1080 zzzz...

I'm playing Tales of Symphonia for the first time. I'm a sucker for Tales games. I'm enjoying it but I have some problems. The main one is the map. I wish there was a easier way to travel than walking around. I can't move the camera on the up to see what's in front of me. Unless I have some Holy Bottles, I can't avoid enemies the way I like to. All in all it's a great game. The characters are great and the battle system is fun. 

Started Earthbound. I only played about a quarter of the game when it came out because I only rented it, so I never fell in love with it or have fond nostalgic memories like some people. For me, it was just another SNES RPG that wasn't made by Square so it must be inferior. Maybe if it was called Final Earthbound Fantasy and had a spikey-headed protagonist I would have cared more.

Its okay so far. Simple and whimsical.

So I'm about 8-9 hours into P4 Golden. Do i only get to keep 5 personas at a time?  Am I going to have to constantly go back to the velvet room to fuse the ones I'm carrying together if I ever want to collect more?

The game is way too heavy on the story vs dungeon/rpg aspect.

So I'm about 8-9 hours into P4 Golden. Do i only get to keep 5 personas at a time? Am I going to have to constantly go back to the velvet room to fuse the ones I'm carrying together if I ever want to collect more?

The game is way too heavy on the story vs dungeon/rpg aspect.
I think you can carry more personas as you level up, but you can only fuse them in the velvet room.

And Persona 4's story is better than the dungeon/rpg aspect, so why is being story-heavy a bad thing? Its probably just Chie's terrible voice actor dragging it down for ya, which is very understandable.

*clicks play*
WHAT ARE YOU DOING DON'T TORTURE YOURSELF

Speaking of P4, been playing Persona 4 Arena for the past month or so, and currently working on completing everyone's stories. Kinda torn about Chie's new voice in that game; it seems to fit the character better, but still has its derp derp moments.

I think you can carry more personas as you level up, but you can only fuse them in the velvet room.

And Persona 4's story is better than the dungeon/rpg aspect, so why is being story-heavy a bad thing? Its probably just Chie's terrible voice actor dragging it down for ya, which is very understandable.
Because I'd much rather be collecting cards, fusing new personas and trying out different strategies for resistant enemies than deciding if I want to work at the day care or hang out with the soccer club.

I loved the dungeon and monster negotation/tarot card collecting part of Persona 2 IS/EP. I wish that wasn't done away with in Persona 3&4.

Because I'd much rather be collecting cards, fusing new personas and trying out different strategies for resistant enemies than deciding if I want to work at the day care or hang out with the soccer club.

I loved the dungeon and monster negotation/tarot card collecting part of Persona 2 IS/EP. I wish that wasn't done away with in Persona 3&4.
I actually put it down because I was stressed what first part time job to pick, if any! I played most of P3 with a guide, step by step, so it was almost like watching a Let's Play that I controlled... so that wasn't much fun. I decided I'd start P4G on a long flight back a couple weeks ago, and got stressed with all the decisions/worrying I was making wrong choices that I had to put it down and haven't had time to pick it back up haha.

Am glad they got ride of that whole negotiation system. It's fun for a bit,but it get's so damn monotonous.

Maybe it's just not your type of game, then? The Social Links play a major role in P3/4 and contain interesting little stories on their own. In P4 especially, the dungeon crawling aspect isn't as pronounced as the life simulator one.

Am glad they got ride of that whole negotiation system. It's fun for a bit,but it get's so damn monotonous.
Haven't played any of the older Personas, but it can be a bit of a pain in SMT games in general. Agreed that it's cool and novel the first few times, but not so much when you're 50+ hours in. Even though they're so simple, the card games in P3/4 are quicker and not as annoying.

I never liked the whole demon negotiating stuff. It was always so random most of the time. You could pick the exact same responses and have different results every time. Just tell me if the demon wants to join or not and lets move on. I would have enjoyed SMT IV a lot more without the negotiating. After awhile I just started picking random responses and sometimes the demons joined and other times they didn't. That whole system had very little relevance to me.

I can understand the apprehension at choosing the wrong things to say/do when there are bigger consequences, especially when choices affect the story, since replaying a segment because of a poor choice means sitting thru long-ass cutscenes again. I played thru both Persona 3 and 4 without a guide, only maxed out a handful of social links, but I still enjoyed the games even without getting everything perfect. Yeah, I did restart a few times after some wrong choices, but to me thats really not much different than playing a Mario game and restarting a level after falling into lava. 

Went back to P4G:  My solution to not knowing what job to pick:  Don't pick one :D  I've got plenty of social links to go through and at this point I still haven't gone into the first dungeon.  Plus now it's really what "I" would do in this situation: procrastinate!  Huzzah for true role playing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back