RPG Thread XIX is getting a rhythm game spinoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I have pretty much made up our minds about this, but was wondering if anyone here had any opinions.

We're finally getting ourselves a PS3 soon, so we can play that system's exclusives. Also, we want to play Diablo III (+ Reaper of Souls) on a console. Why we want to do this instead of going the PC route is because:
- Native controller support! (this is the big one)
- Couch co-op!
- Not having to buy two copies for each of our Battle.net accounts!

The big question remaining is which version should we get: 360 or PS3 (and no, we don't have a PS4 or an Xbone, as neither console currently has anything to offer us). We're leaning 360 mainly thanks to this Eurogamer article, but it also helps that it's cheaper and we already own an extra 360 controller. Anyone here have any additional thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well since nobody else replied, I'll throw in my two cents.

Since you don't own a current gen console, then the 360 version would be the way to go like that article mentions. In general the 360 had better running multi-platform games. While I don't know how the console version is as I'd never touch it, my cousin who is 99% a console gamer prefers it to the PC version which I roped him into buying some time ago. So I'd qualify it as playable, but it would drive me batshit crazy trying to play that game with a controller. What I don't know is how well Blizzard updates the previous gen console versions which would be a big drawback for me if they don't update it like they do the PC version.

Alternatively when you do happen to get a current gen console you may want to look at getting Divinity: Original Sin on it. It has some great local co-op fun if you're into that type of game. With how the battle system works, it should work well using a controller. However the PC version also has local co-op now (added in the EE update & controllers only) depending on how you setup is, as I'm able to play my PC games on my TV.

Well since nobody else replied, I'll throw in my two cents.

Since you don't own a current gen console, then the 360 version would be the way to go like that article mentions. In general the 360 had better running multi-platform games. While I don't know how the console version is as I'd never touch it, my cousin who is 99% a console gamer prefers it to the PC version which I roped him into buying some time ago. So I'd qualify it as playable, but it would drive me batshit crazy trying to play that game with a controller. What I don't know is how well Blizzard updates the previous gen console versions which would be a big drawback for me if they don't update it like they do the PC version.
Thanks for your feedback ^^

Blizzard don't do updates for the last-gen consoles, from what I've heard. Also, we tried out the PS3 version at a PAX one year (in Console Freeplay) and although getting around the menus was somewhat cumbersome, actually moving around and fighting felt much better with a controller. I actually wish more of these types of games had controller support, but the only one that I'd played in the past was Record of Lodoss War on the Dreamcast.

Just got the 360 version today (that sale for Amazon Prime members was too good to pass up), so yeah, that's what we've decided to go with :razz:

Alternatively when you do happen to get a current gen console you may want to look at getting Divinity: Original Sin on it. It has some great local co-op fun if you're into that type of game. With how the battle system works, it should work well using a controller. However the PC version also has local co-op now (added in the EE update & controllers only) depending on how you setup is, as I'm able to play my PC games on my TV.
We can play PC games on our TV, but I really don't like turn-based WRPGs :whistle2:| Still, good to know.

Got through Shining Force. Enjoyed how the grid fields just appear on the gamespace without any transition, and the game has a wonderful look to it. But yeah, at the end just kind of felt sick of waiting for tons of enemies to pass turns. Very slow moving fights. Sometimes they even spawn you on rocky terrain (restricted movement) for no purpose other then to have you spend 2-3 turn rotations just getting every unit off it.

Also, don't give me a main character that can get 1 shot and lose me the game at any moment. Makes no sense. I just had him waddling in the corner every battle while my other units did work.

omg! I think I may actually beat Earthbound soon!! I've been playing it since last year lol, and I think I'm at the end!!

no plans tonite, no work tomorrow, gonna eat burrito and play games all nite lol.

Merry Xenoblade X-mas eve everyone! :wave:
wanna play so much ;_;

gamestop's wonderful customer service, or lack thereof, completely ignored my 2 requests to change my shipping address on the SE,

and so it's being shipped to mom & dad's place, and with our schedules I will not have the game in my hand until late January >_<

I wanted to do the whole buy at store and return my copy once I have it, but SE's are sold out everywhere and the game case in the SE is different from the regular retail version...

the special edition of Persona Dancing is the same way; the case says "Not For Resale" where the SKU barcode is supposed to be.

seems like these product makers are getting savvy to our ways o_O

also Persona Dancing was a terrible game lol. it was real bad... the game managed to make me dislike Persona music.

Got through Shining Force. Enjoyed how the grid fields just appear on the gamespace without any transition, and the game has a wonderful look to it. But yeah, at the end just kind of felt sick of waiting for tons of enemies to pass turns. Very slow moving fights. Sometimes they even spawn you on rocky terrain (restricted movement) for no purpose other then to have you spend 2-3 turn rotations just getting every unit off it.

Also, don't give me a main character that can get 1 shot and lose me the game at any moment. Makes no sense. I just had him waddling in the corner every battle while my other units did work.
Yo, give Shining Force 2 a try. Evens out a lot of the kinks, like promoted units losing stats and what-not.

aww yay yayee~!!! I cant believe it but I beat Earthbound finally!

took me so long becoz 1) the game is sooooo slow paced and 2) I hate micromanagement in games, in this case limited item inventory.

it's a good game, but I can see how so many games have been inspired from it so of course it doesnt have much of an impact on me, but I swear had I played it as a younger gamer I would absolutely love it!

ppl talk about the localization of it, and yup the localization on the game is quite brilliant. You can tell they were having a lot of fun!

anyways now I'm excited! I havent played any games all year coz I been trying to finish this one,

now that I have I feel like I can finally play games again lol, at least until I make my a bunch of 2016 new year resolutions that take my time away from gaming again =P

Been playing thru P4Golden, using a guide to max all the links cause I never did that on the PS2 version. Except for a certain character's new VA, I really like the additions they made.

Got my Xenoblade X today. I downloaded the patches that supposedly make it load faster onto the Wii U's hard drive and had to transfer almost all my other stuff onto the external HDD just to make it fit, and that took almost forever. Gonna spin it up tomorrow and see what all the fuss is about.

Yo, give Shining Force 2 a try. Evens out a lot of the kinks, like promoted units losing stats and what-not.
Noted. It seems like a promising series but I'm burned out on grid-based tactical atm. This year I've beaten Front Mission 3, Tactics Ogre, and now Shining Force and was pretty meh on them all. Need a palette cleanser.

I feel kinda silly for asking this, but would anyone recommend the FF7 PS4 port? I tried playing the original 2 years ago, but had a hard time getting past the dated graphics and tank controls so I didn't play more than 30 minutes of it. Or maybe I should just go with the pc port?

I feel kinda silly for asking this, but would anyone recommend the FF7 PS4 port? I tried playing the original 2 years ago, but had a hard time getting past the dated graphics and tank controls so I didn't play more than 30 minutes of it. Or maybe I should just go with the pc port?
The PS4 port is the PC version ported to PS4. I don't actually know what they changed from the original PC release (which I have on disk), but it should be the most definitive version. Plus, the PS4 version comes with an awesome theme.

I don't actually know what they changed from the original PC release (which I have on disk), but it should be the most definitive version.
That might have to do with the polygonal graphics looking smoother on PC. I had first played the PC version years and years ago (I still have my disks too!), but found the PS1 graphics comparatively atrocious when I first played that system's version. The graphics differences are similar with Metal Gear Solid's PC and PS1 versions, IIRC.

What I noticed about the ports was that transitions and loads are much faster, if that helps make it more tolerable for you I don't know. Obviously the polygons are a lot crisper, but I find that strange looking for some reason.

I think the game's aged really well and the backgrounds and camera angles make it visually pleasing to this day. Well, aside from the super close ups on the character models. Not sure why they had so many scenes like that.

Thanks all!

I know that the text boxes were cleaned up, which helps a lot so that's something. It's kinda weird that I can tolerate MML, but couldn't seem to muscle through FF7. Maybe I'll give the PS1 version another whirl and save myself 10 bucks.

The PS4 port is the way to go. It has up res- graphics, cheats, 3x fast foward, no enemy encounter, and analog stick control. You activate the cheats by either pressing R3 or L3 and R3, 3x speed is just L3.

Spent about 53 hours in Fallout 4 and said fuck it. It's not terrible but by the end I got bored out of my mind. So I started Xenoblade. Xenoblade is pretty good. Nothing more to say than it's a pretty good JRPG, glad I spent the money on it. Although I wish the LE came with a real soundtrack.

Just finished building my PC last weekend. Everything works!

Booted up The Witcher 3 for the first time and got a few side quests under my belt. Movement is a bit awkward (unplayable on keyboard, I switched to a DS4), but it's playing at a smooth 50-60fps and colors and foliage look incredible when you're not bumping into your horse and picket fences.

I already have an inventory half full of reagents so I suppose not too much has changed since the first game in that aspect. It's a bit overwhelming but my favorite parts of this universe are the bestiary and alchemy, so I'm glad it's back in full force. 

Combat is still flashy and fun, Geralt is easy to listen to, soundtrack is great. Here's hoping to some decent writing for once.

Finally started Mass Effect. I guess this can go here, since there's inventory and stat management and stuff. The dialogue, plot, and story weren't as dreadful as I was expecting, though Kaidan's interactions with my female Shepard were nearly insufferable. I gladly let that doofus go when I could.

I'm fully looking forward to all of my favorite elements of 1 being phased out or deemphasized in 2, and all of the things I didn't care for pushed to the forefront.

Finally started Mass Effect. I guess this can go here, since there's inventory and stat management and stuff. The dialogue, plot, and story weren't as dreadful as I was expecting, though Kaidan's interactions with my female Shepard were nearly insufferable. I gladly let that doofus go when I could.

I'm fully looking forward to all of my favorite elements of 1 being phased out or deemphasized in 2, and all of the things I didn't care for pushed to the forefront.
Mass Effect 2 is a huge improvement. It's my favorite ME game out of the series.

I didn't think first was that good of game. It had the pieces to be great,but it lacked polish.The sidequest and enemy variety were just terrible. Story is good for the most part,until the end when it became a "tell,don't show" fest(still has the best villains of the series though).

Spent about 53 hours in Fallout 4 and said fuck it. It's not terrible but by the end I got bored out of my mind. So I started Xenoblade. Xenoblade is pretty good. Nothing more to say than it's a pretty good JRPG, glad I spent the money on it. Although I wish the LE came with a real soundtrack.
I'm finding Xenoblade to be pretty good too. I like how it doesn't hold your hand like some RPGs but still presents everything so its not too hard to figure out. All the menus were a bit intimidating at first, but after an hour or two it wasn't too difficult to navigate. The only negative thing I have to say so far is the tiny text and the lack of audio options (background music often plays too loud drowning out voice volume). Otherwise, I find the characters and story to be interesting, even the turnip mascot thingy.

Never cared for Kaidan either. I wish I had enough free time to replay the complete ME series again for the third time.

I didn't think first was that good of game. It had the pieces to be great,but it lacked polish.The sidequest and enemy variety were just terrible. Story is good for the most part,until the end when it became a "tell,don't show" fest(still has the best villains of the series though).
I agree that ME2 was more polished, focused, and better-paced than ME1, but I still think the first one was my favorite of the trilogy. To me, it had more 'personality' than the other two, if that makes sense. Its kinda like choosing the nerdy chubby girl over the two big-breasted cheerleaders.

tumblr_mgc7htwjtp1qcbq9jo2_500.gif

And it was always the best armour I had, too!

Just finished building my PC last weekend. Everything works!

Booted up The Witcher 3 for the first time and got a few side quests under my belt. Movement is a bit awkward (unplayable on keyboard, I switched to a DS4), but it's playing at a smooth 50-60fps and colors and foliage look incredible when you're not bumping into your horse and picket fences.

I already have an inventory half full of reagents so I suppose not too much has changed since the first game in that aspect. It's a bit overwhelming but my favorite parts of this universe are the bestiary and alchemy, so I'm glad it's back in full force.

Combat is still flashy and fun, Geralt is easy to listen to, soundtrack is great. Here's hoping to some decent writing for once.
Congrats on the build. Hope you dig W3. It's my favorite game of the past several years.

tumblr_mgc7htwjtp1qcbq9jo2_500.gif

And it was always the best armour I had, too!
Phoenix master race.

I've also given Fallout 4 around 5 hours of my time and all of the quests annoy me, unlike The Witcher 3 where I'm interested in everything I've come across.  Both games run great though, so that's fantastic.

Taking time to grasp how multiple enemies attack simultaneously. Can't open up on one ghoul or bandit because 3 others are swinging immediately after. Doesn't make for the prettiest fights. My encounter with the griffin was just shameful.

What kind of build are you playing with? Large groups always seemed more difficult to manage to me, but there are definitely some ways to keep them in line. Really leaned into alchemy and bombs on my first run, so crowd control kinda came with the territory. Whirl is pretty good on the melee side, and of course signs are useful for it as well. Even if Igni doesn't actually set them ablaze, the stagger is usually enough to line up some good shots. Same for Aard.

What kind of build are you playing with? Large groups always seemed more difficult to manage to me, but there are definitely some ways to keep them in line. Really leaned into alchemy and bombs on my first run, so crowd control kinda came with the territory. Whirl is pretty good on the melee side, and of course signs are useful for it as well. Even if Igni doesn't actually set them ablaze, the stagger is usually enough to line up some good shots. Same for Aard.
I'm also going the alchemy route but I haven't sat down with it besides the thunderbolt potion. I've been following the main quest line and recently entered Velen. Random packs of enemies are 5+ levels on me, so I guess I need to cool it on progression and maybe retrace old territory and start brewing bombs.

The first Ciri segment was awesome. Her dash animation is badass.

I'm also going the alchemy route but I haven't sat down with it besides the thunderbolt potion. I've been following the main quest line and recently entered Velen. Random packs of enemies are 5+ levels on me, so I guess I need to cool it on progression and maybe retrace old territory and start brewing bombs.

The first Ciri segment was awesome. Her dash animation is badass.
Yeah, I loved the Ciri segments. Really cool to get a hands-on glimpse of that power.

Alchemy is a blast. Later on, the overdose threshold bonuses will allow you to have 2-3 decoctions going at once. I was pretty much a veiny mess for the duration of my game, which I was fine with both mechanically and lore-wise. Potions effects can change a lot, and the more advanced versions of them are amazing. Things like Superior Tawny Owl preventing stamina decrease at night. It gets wild.

But yeah, for now I'd recommend just tossing out some low level Igni to keep active mobs in check. If you've got access to Northern Wind or Samum bombs, those are even better when you get the drop on a group.

I'm only level 5 ya'll. These solutions are out of reach on the skill tree.

Also, to enter douchebag territory for a second, why does Geralt have to relearn everything across sequels? If RPGs are allowing choices to carry over, character power should also transfer. 

I'm mostly kidding.

I made another game! Not an RPG this time, though… don't know if I can do another RPG. Maybe if I find a really good engine for SRPGs?

Now that I'm done with this project, I can finally start up a long game and not worry about it distracting me too much, but I'm not sure what yet. Leaning towards Devil Survivor 2: Break Record.

Also, I'm strongly considering starting RPG Thread XX come the new year. The time feels right.

You had me excited until

• Absolutely no H-scenes!
J/K, I'll try and give it a playthru sometime soon, but it looks fun. And you got my vote for making a new thread for the new year.

Working my way thru many of the affinity missions in Xenoblade X. I really like how the story is unfolding so far, but I'm still anxious to eventually get my Skell. However, at the slow rate I'm playing, that'll probably be next year.

Leap in for a strong swing, roll back. Leap in, roll back. And past the Golem and Wild One bosses I go! But not without opening the menu to meditate to full health after every encounter with hags and drowners. What a feature that is.

Now I'm at a sealed door with a riddle attached and I'm afraid to guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back