RPG Thread XV Will Hunt and Kill His Brothers and Absorb Their Essence

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='bvharris']Not for another half an hour at least you're not. ;)[/QUOTE]

Figured when it was down earlier that I would finish The Witcher 2 right when it would come back up. Guess I was a bit premature on that. Just found out that The Witcher 2 has 16 different endings (8 main ones, with minor differences in each one to make technically 16 different ones).

Solid game that more people need to play and if you do, owe it to yourself to play on normal difficulty or higher. Easy ruins the experience.

[quote name='Backlash']The chronicle in Radiant Historia is so nice for reminding you of everything that is going on if you take more than a few days off. I just started playing this a few weeks ago and I've been enjoying it pretty well.

Speaking of which: do the enemies level with you in Radiant Historia? I couldn't find conclusive answers to this with a little Googling. Sometimes it seems like the enemies are more powerful than they should be when I revisit a much earlier node. (I'm in Ch 3 right now).[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly certain that they don't. I beat it a couple months ago, and did a lot of traveling back and forth to unlock every node. I think I remember killing a lot of enemies in one hit when forced into battles in early nodes.

[quote name='TheLongshot']The combination of 12 years passing since Diablo II and the "always on" requirement for single player has wicked all desire to play Diablo III from me.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm just going to wait for Torchlight 2.

that's such an odd thing to bothered about, i have to say. always online is mildly annoying at most.

and the game is phenomenal. doing my Hell playthrough and Hell is ridiculous.

[quote name='Draekon']You can download the digital copy (See the Diablo 3 OP in the PC section) and then input the key once your dad reads it off to you.[/QUOTE]

Sweet! Thanks a lot! Saves me the trouble of trying to find a non-virus copy in the depths of the internet...

D3 is on after work tonight!

[quote name='panzerfaust']that's such an odd thing to bothered about, i have to say. always online is mildly annoying at most.

and the game is phenomenal. doing my Hell playthrough and Hell is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

So, you aren't bothered paying $60 for a game that could go away at the whim of those running the servers? I know that Blizzard has been good about that historically, but many other companies haven't over the years, and it is a trend I don't want to support.

[quote name='panzerfaust']that's such an odd thing to bothered about, i have to say. always online is mildly annoying at most.

and the game is phenomenal. doing my Hell playthrough and Hell is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
If they decide to turn off the servers or something goes wrong with them I can't play my game. I especially liked how people had to wait in a queue to play the single player portion of the game. How about if my internet connection gets spotty for some reason? It could easily happen. Thanks, but no thanks. There's plenty of games to play that leave me in control of my purchase.

[/QUOTE]

Given all the server problems that have been going on that prevent people from playing even single-player, I'd say it's a bit more than just "mildly annoying".

i heard you even lag when you play single player. that's... pretty bad. especially since we're in 2012.

i was largely unimpressed by the beta and my blizzcon playthroughs so i'll be skipping d3.

[quote name='kainzero']i heard you even lag when you play single player. that's... pretty bad. especially since we're in 2012.[/QUOTE]
Wow, that's ridiculous.

[quote name='ihadFG']Given all the server problems that have been going on that prevent people from playing even single-player, I'd say it's a bit more than just "mildly annoying".[/QUOTE]

Yep, basically this, it is kind of sad when you can't play single-player because the login servers are too flooded or Blizzard needs to take the servers down to fix something. It's also kind of bad for anyone who doesn't have constant access to the internet, for instance people in the navy. And as someone already mentioned the game does actually seem to lag too even if you're playing alone (mostly because the pings seem to be getting fairly high because their servers have a ton of load, one time I got in to play I had a ping of around 45 which is around what I normally have in League, then last time I played I was rocking a ping of 250+ which is when I started to notice some movement popping and input lag).

Anyone here play DC Universe online? I was thinking about picking up a copy.

Is the online absolutely free? Like even if I pick up a used copy I don't need a subcription code or anyhting?

[quote name='Rodimus']Anyone here play DC Universe online? I was thinking about picking up a copy.

Is the online absolutely free? Like even if I pick up a used copy I don't need a subcription code or anyhting?[/QUOTE]

I downloaded it for Free on Steam. I'm not sure if it is the same way on PS3 or not.

I'm having a blast with D3. Outside the first night, I'm having no lag problems at all. Playing with 3 other friends makes the game very entertaining. The Monk is pretty rad.

[quote name='Rodimus']Anyone here play DC Universe online? I was thinking about picking up a copy.

Is the online absolutely free? Like even if I pick up a used copy I don't need a subcription code or anyhting?[/QUOTE]

Well for playstation you can download it free from the store it's aboot 18gb. This comes with a good amount of content from what I hear, however the trophies are locked unless you subscribe or something.

There is no reason to pick up a disk, from what I understand they don't even save you harddrive space. They're pretty much useless.

You can download the whole thing from PSN.

[quote name='raiden_86']Well for playstation you can download it free from the store it's aboot 18gb. This comes with a good amount of content from what I hear, however the trophies are locked unless you subscribe or something.[/QUOTE]

The entire game is free?

[quote name='Rodimus']The entire game is free?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure the expansion DLC (Green Lantern, etc) are not free, but the game is.

My favorite thing about Last Story is walking forward and accidentally skipping dialogue because the dialogue starts two steps before a fuckin cutscene.

Here's a question to everyone that's played 999.

On subsequent playthroughs, when you have the option to skip dialog, how exactly does that work? When you hit the skip button does it load the whole page on the screen, then let you hit the button again to move on to the next one? Does it just close that page immediately and move on to the next one?

I finally picked up a DSi XL (which I was waiting for before getting the game), and I was wondering if it would be better to get a used copy of 999 in order to read at my own pace. However, if all it does is skip to the next page without giving me a chance to read the current one, then that would obviously be a useless feature to have from the start.

For 999, it just speeds through it more quickly, as I recall. It doesn't skip it as fast as you'd want, especially for the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc play-throughs. (It's been awhile so I don't remember the exact mechanism though).

I really like the way Radiant Historia did the skip, where you can speed through parts of it very rapidly with the X button, or just skip the scene altogether with Start.

So now that I've beaten Diablo 3 (I'll still play Nightmare and so forth at times) and I need something new to play. I can either get The Witcher 2, Persona 4 or just jump back into Skyrim. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the heads up everyone. I had no idea DC Universe was free. I'm so outta the loop. I thought online was free, but you still needed to buy the game.

Played it for about 2 hours today. Not bad. I could get into it if I had a couple friends to play with. But I still have Xenoblade to complete so it's gonna have to wait.

[quote name='GhostShark']Pretty sure the expansion DLC (Green Lantern, etc) are not free, but the game is.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. I checked the marketplace and there's a few DLC packs that are $9.99 each.

[quote name='Backlash']It's ok. I like the original opening song better for sure. This one is much happier sounding and looking. Seeing Kanji dancing is just wrong.[/QUOTE]

Same here, the original was better, but this isn't too bad at all minus the dancing o_O

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Anyone else playing Dragon's Dogma? It's really good.[/QUOTE]
I'm hooked. I've been using your pawn, it's nice to have someone a few levels ahead of me free of charge :)

[quote name='pete5883']I'm hooked. I've been using your pawn, it's nice to have someone a few levels ahead of me free of charge :)[/QUOTE]
Glad she's been of use XD

So close to finishing The Witcher but now the game is messing with my cursor and sometimes freezing all together. I'm on the Epilogue so I'm hoping the game keeps it together long enough to finish. I started this game back in the beginning of May but finals really kept me from gaming much.

So wait, what the heck? Dragon's Dogma is good??? Every review seems to make it out to be mediocore to poor. Hmmm, gonna have to keep an eye out for a sale at some point then.

[quote name='Zmonkay']So wait, what the heck? Dragon's Dogma is good??? Every review seems to make it out to be mediocore to poor. Hmmm, gonna have to keep an eye out for a sale at some point then.[/QUOTE]

It has a 75/100. Mediocre to good, more like, similar to Amalur.

[quote name='Zmonkay']So wait, what the heck? Dragon's Dogma is good??? Every review seems to make it out to be mediocore to poor. Hmmm, gonna have to keep an eye out for a sale at some point then.[/QUOTE]
You mean just maybe reviews aren't a good judge of whether a game is good or not!? What a shock!

The game is actually really good. Also it's a lot better than Amalur. Oh yeah, and thanks pete for the items you gave my pawn. Most people send back rocks and rotten meat...

I want to give Dragon's Dogma a shot, but not at 60 bucks. It will certainly be bought when I see it around the 30-40 range. The level design reminded me (on the Demon) of Devil May Cry 3 so it has that going for it, but the melee combat just felt like died Dragon Age 2. Not that there is anything wrong with that because I liked DA2's combat.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']You mean just maybe reviews aren't a good judge of whether a game is good or not!? What a shock!

The game is actually really good. Also it's a lot better than Amalur. Oh yeah, and thanks pete for the items you gave my pawn. Most people send back rocks and rotten meat...[/QUOTE]

Haha. Touche. I'll keep an eye out for it on the cheap then.

Also, even though I already had it on 360, I bought Skyrim through Steam so I can dick around with the mods... Holy crap! Makes it so much better. Now that I built my new PC, running all the HD texture mods/UI mods alone makes it an even better game. Best so far? Categorized Favorites List and SkyUI (no more mile long, unsortable lists!) I haven't even started touching the content changing mods yet...

[quote name='elessar123']It has a 75/100. Mediocre to good, more like, similar to Amalur.[/QUOTE]

Just from playing the demos Dogma was more to my liking. Combat was really fun, and some of those high level spells looked awesome. Only bad thing I can think of is all the walking looks tedious.

[quote name='Rodimus']Just from playing the demos Dogma was more to my liking. Combat was really fun, and some of those high level spells looked awesome. Only bad thing I can think of is all the walking looks tedious.[/QUOTE]
I thought the walking would get tedious as well, but it really adds to the feel they were going for. Which is that every quest is an actual adventure. When you head out to do something you need to be prepared because you probably won't be back to town for days.

I regret canceling my $50+$10 credit pre-order of Dogma... oh well. I'm playing Sorcery instead, which would have been the same price, roughly. Stupid me.

So, I finally sat down to start Xenoblade Chronicles. I was very excited to play it over the three day weekend. I was worried about the system not reading the disc (mine is a launch unit) and was relieved to see that everything loaded fine. Then I started playing . . .

Yeah, I'm getting lines of dead green pixels flashing up across the middle of the screen from time to time. It's especially noticeable anyplace dark. I think my GPU is going, which makes me very sad.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']I think my GPU is going, which makes me very sad.[/QUOTE]
Hopefully you don't have many Virtual Console/WiiWare games...

[quote name='blueshinra']Hopefully you don't have many Virtual Console/WiiWare games...[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately I do have a fairly large number of VC games. So it looks like the only real option for me is to send it in to get it repaired. Now I just need to hope that I don't lose any of the saves that I can't back up, and that they don't forget to keep my store account registered. :roll:

I do enjoy Xenoblade though, even with a bunch of green artifacts randomly popping up on the screen ;)

Beat Pokemon White yesterday. On top of the regular Pokemon goodness, it was quite impressive. This place in particular was breathtaking, and the entire endgame was surprisingly epic (it certainly got off to a good start). The story was good as well; Team Plasma was certainly not your regular bunch of Pokemon baddies. The game also felt a bit more streamlined than the previous ones, or maybe that's just because I didn't bother much with distractions like the Battle Subway.

The whole thing took me less than sixty hours, a bit less than what I spent on the previous two I played, IIRC. There were certain Pokemon I missed but wasn't able to get in the end, but eh. Maybe I'll do some of the postgame stuff-- there seems to be a lot of it this time, including the kinds of things that tend to show up in the main game first-- but not right now.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']I do enjoy Xenoblade though, even with a bunch of green artifacts randomly popping up on the screen ;)[/QUOTE]
Reminds me of the first time I played the PC version of FF8. The field sections would have this problem where you'd see a little bit of a black grid over the whole background image. Fortunately, there was a patch available for my second playthrough (which I enjoyed much more, graphics notwithstanding) and that fixed the problem.

I have a launch Wii and never had a problem. I also have a ton of Wiiware & VC games so I hope it never craps out on me.

Still playing Xenoblade, there's just not enough time in my life to have a good play sesson.

Big RPG news of the day: Shin Megami Tensei IV was announced. It's going to be on 3DS, and the Japanese official site's going live tomorrow.

[quote name='Rodimus']I have a launch Wii and never had a problem. I also have a ton of Wiiware & VC games so I hope it never craps out on me.[/QUOTE]
I'm in much the same situation (launch Wii, lots of VC games, never had a problem). Here's hoping mine continues to work for a long time as well *knock on wood*

[quote name='Rodimus']Shunova...., were's my console love?[/QUOTE]

You'll get that when Persona 5 is announced. D:

Big RPG news of the day: Shin Megami Tensei IV was announced. It's going to be on 3DS, and the Japanese official site's going live tomorrow.

Aaaaaaand Nintendo might have sold another 3DS.

Provided I get me some 2D Metroid love.

[quote name='blueshinra']Big RPG news of the day: Shin Megami Tensei IV was announced. It's going to be on 3DS, and the Japanese official site's going live tomorrow.

I'm in much the same situation (launch Wii, lots of VC games, never had a problem). Here's hoping mine continues to work for a long time as well *knock on wood*[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I might switch over to a 3DS just for that. I was planning on switching over to a PSP once I ever finish Dragon Quest 6 (it just drags on and on and on).

I realized I would like to play/finish radiant Historia and Devil Survivor 2 on the :ds: first though... So give me 3-6 months to purchase and finish both of those and maybe the 3DS will have a big price drop by then and some more decent RPGs.

Otherwise, there's alot on the :psp: that I've never touched that I can get pretty cheaply. ($15 or less)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back