RPG Thread XV Will Hunt and Kill His Brothers and Absorb Their Essence

Status
Not open for further replies.
i like reading LPs, especially if they offer analysis on the plot or mechanics. it's really fascinating to learn about various ways to break the game.

i don't really like video LPs because it takes too long... it's real time, haha.

speaking of backlogs i keep adding on hobbies to do.
my goal is to play "To Zanarkand" on piano. maybe by next year.
i just picked up piano last month. >_

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I love Dark Id's stuff.

I'll just list some of my favorites. They're going to be all video LPs:

supergreatfriend http://www.youtube.com/user/supergreatfriend
My favorite LPer. Anything of his is great, but I highly recommend his Illbleed and Deadly Premonition LPs.

Lord Vega http://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdVega
I enjoyed his Arcanum LP. I just like his dry sense of humor.

Shesellssheshells http://www.youtube.com/user/Shesellssheshells
AMAZING Silent Hill Homecoming LP. Probably the best use of Youtube annotation I've seen.

Proton Jon http://www.youtube.com/user/ProtonJonSA
Fantastic Superman 64 LP. Though he's taking his time putting it out.

helloitsdan and Lithuanian Dad http://v.lp.prinny.co.uk/mercenaries-2
By far the funniest LP I've seen.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the list. I'll probably check out Mercenaries 2 first. I like RPG LPs, but I'm really not big on RPG video LPs, so I dunno if I'll bite on Arcanum. I have to finish the damn game first, anyway.

Oooh, I want to help.

I watched these guys play Minecraft, it was entertaining.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD85CE1A4FAD1A2AF&feature=plcp

Screenshot Xenogears LP. I think Dark Id's is better, but this is the first one I've ever read, so special place in my heart or something. It stopped being updated in 2010 but apparently it started up again this month.
http://www.whatdoesgodneedwithastarship.com/

The Giantbomb guys did Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition. Some golden moments within those.

And there's that Life In Oblivion screenshot one, but that seems to have collapsed upon itself and all the screens disappeared.

[quote name='The Crotch']Speaking of which. Blueshinra, since we're both LP fans, do you have any recommendations? I mean, "anything by The Dark Id" is pretty obvious, but beyond that? Can be screenshot or video, though I usually prefer screenshot.[/QUOTE]

The Dark Id ones that I've read and enjoyed have been Dirge of Cerberus, Chrono Cross, Drakengard, and Xenogears. I couldn't get all the way through Clock Tower 3 or Limbo of the Lost, and thought Resident Evil was just okay, but I'm not much into survival horror or horrible adventure games (I do want to give the RE ones another shot, but I don't know what order to read them in, since the first game was LP'd last). Holding off on Nier and Drakengard 2 until after I play the former.

You've read all of those already, of course ;) Others I've enjoyed (all screenshot):

- Animal Crossing: Wild World by Chewbot - my first LP! It is weird and amazing.
- The Oregon Trail by Chewbot - another offbeat narrative LP. I don't know if these two LPs would be what you're looking for, though-- they take a lot of liberties with the source material.
- Blade Runner by Scorchy - loved how the screenshots were done. Excellent overall.
- Tropico 3 by Bobbin Threadbare - really captures the feel of the game without being dry.

Wanted to include the Final Fantasy VIII LP on this list, but it looks like it's gone from the archive. Even though it didn't discuss game mechanics much at all, I kinda liked it :whistle2:(

I also want to give Jerusalem's take on GTA: San Andreas another try, but I just know it's going to be one of those massive time-sinks. What I've read so far is great, though; it's like, "This is how you do a narrative LP."

I have about 10 hours left of Graces main story. I am enjoying it, however, I think I liked Vesperia better..can't decide. Might do a NG+ run depending on how much grade I have and how much of a pain the future/bonus dungeons are. Playing on evil and I just unlocked chaos.

I just left best buy and got XIII-2 and Arkham City for 27 bucks total. I can't decide which to play next.

[quote name='godsentdeath']I just left best buy and got XIII-2 and Arkham City for 27 bucks total. I can't decide which to play next.[/QUOTE]

I bought AC when it first went on sale at Best Buy, and have been playing it for the past two weeks. I'm pretty close to the end right now.

Fallout 2 is the worst kind of sequel.

It has just enough ease-of-use/convenience improvements over its predecessor that going back is painful. But the writing? The characters? The setting? Generally worse.

I mean, aside from Goris. Holy fuck Goris is awesome.

[quote name='The Crotch']Fallout 2 is the worst kind of sequel.

It has just enough ease-of-use/convenience improvements over its predecessor that going back is painful. But the writing? The characters? The setting? Generally worse.

I mean, aside from Goris. Holy fuck Goris is awesome.[/QUOTE]
Very true. As much as I like the first game I can't play it again after playing Fallout 2. Though that makes me wonder. Is there a mod for Fallout like there is for Baldur's Gate that makes the game have the improvements of its sequel?

Probably. I will confess that my knowledge of Fallout mods is piss-poor.

I got Dogmeat through the laser door maze alive. I doubt I'll ever play Fallout 1 again.

[quote name='panzerfaust']crotch, PST is the most beautiful thing i've ever experienced[/quote]
Explain yourself.
[quote name='panzerfaust']moonwalking and all[/QUOTE]
Turn on software mirroring.

Finally finished Xenoblade. What a great game. And like so many other great RPG's, a big WTF ending... Seriously, why are there so precious few RPGs that have a decent, coherent/logical ending? Mass Effect 3 has been getting a lot of flack for it's crap ending, but that's mainly because it doesn't give much closure.

While ME3 does kinda jump the shark a bit at the end, it's nothing compared to the endings of some JRPGs. Prolly why I wasn't really that bothered by it. RPG endings have been letting me down for years :D

I just traded for Persona 3 & 4 and started playing 4 since 3 is still in the mail. It's okay to play these out of order right? 5 hours into P4 and I didn't notice anything that made me think otherwise, unless there is an import data option from P3.

BTW some of those LPs are pretty funny. Didn't know about them till now.

[quote name='raiden_86']I just traded for Persona 3 & 4 and started playing 4 since 3 is still in the mail. It's okay to play these out of order right? 5 hours into P4 and I didn't notice anything that made me think otherwise, unless there is an import data option from P3.
[/QUOTE]

You're fine, they're completely separate games.

there's one part in p4 that makes references to p3 but story-wise it's minor.

also p4 has better battle mechanics, so sometimes it's hard to go back to p3. specifically you can't control your teammates in p3 unless you got the psp version.

[quote name='panzerfaust']crotch, PST is the most beautiful thing i've ever experienced

moonwalking and all[/QUOTE]
Explain yourself, you god damn cock-teasing son of a bitch.

And srsly, software mirroring.

[quote name='kainzero'] also p4 has better battle mechanics, so sometimes it's hard to go back to p3. specifically you can't control your teammates in p3.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I read about that... kinda hard to go back to from any game, but I think I'll be alright. Thanks for the the quick replies and info guys.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Finally finished Xenoblade. What a great game. And like so many other great RPG's, a big WTF ending... Seriously, why are there so precious few RPGs that have a decent, coherent/logical ending? Mass Effect 3 has been getting a lot of flack for it's crap ending, but that's mainly because it doesn't give much closure.

While ME3 does kinda jump the shark a bit at the end, it's nothing compared to the endings of some JRPGs. Prolly why I wasn't really that bothered by it. RPG endings have been letting me down for years :D[/QUOTE]

One RPG ending that I actually really liked was Arc Rise Fantasia's. It's too bad the bad voice acting in that game will probably keep so many people from ever seeing it.

And I also really liked the ME3 ending I got.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Finally finished Xenoblade. What a great game. And like so many other great RPG's, a big WTF ending... Seriously, why are there so precious few RPGs that have a decent, coherent/logical ending? Mass Effect 3 has been getting a lot of flack for it's crap ending, but that's mainly because it doesn't give much closure.

While ME3 does kinda jump the shark a bit at the end, it's nothing compared to the endings of some JRPGs. Prolly why I wasn't really that bothered by it. RPG endings have been letting me down for years :D[/QUOTE]
You need to play more Dragon Quest :p Besides that, out of the recent JRPGs I've played, Rune Factory 3 has a really good, non-WTF ending. It's very sweet, actually.

Speaking of endings, the one for Izuna bugged me in that it-- and hopefully this isn't much of a spoiler-- never really happens. There's no end credits, for one thing o_O;

Currently playing Soul Nomad & the World Eaters. It took awhile, but I've gotten into the story and the hang of the battle system. It's a little annoying that I have to equip Decor every single time before a battle, though, especially when it's easy to forget to do so and can mean the difference between a win and a loss.

I have a quick question since you guys seem to know your rpgs. I'm trading for Valkyrie Profile 2 & Shadow Hearts Covenant today, but it looks like I can only get one, so which one? VP2 is cheaper for me so I'm leaning towards that if SH2 isn't a whole lot better. I prefer story and gameplay over anything. Pm me if you don't want to post here to my random question & thanks in advance.

[quote name='raiden_86']I have a quick question since you guys seem to know your rpgs. I'm trading for Valkyrie Profile 2 & Shadow Hearts Covenant today, but it looks like I can only get one, so which one? VP2 is cheaper for me so I'm leaning towards that if SH2 isn't a whole lot better. I prefer story and gameplay over anything. Pm me if you don't want to post here to my random question & thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I haven't finished either (so keep that in mind), but I have played both and I might give the edge to Shadow Hearts Covenant, but some of that may be due to the fact that I love the first Shadow Hearts, and was kind of disappointed with Valkyrie Profile (mostly due to the whole multiple ending thing, where the normal ending is awful). Valkyrie Profile 2 has a much different story structure than VP1 though, and is focused a lot more on telling a linear focused story rather than on the side stories of the einherjar like the first game (but I actually liked the side stories (it was just how the tried to tie everything together that was terrible, especially in the not true ending), and VP2's story starts off fairly slowly without much explanation on what is actually going on). If you like SH1 then I'm sure you'll like Shadow Hearts Covenant, they are fairly similar but with some improvements. Ultimately though they are both fairly solid choices.

--

I'm finally almost back to where I was in Tales of the Abyss when my PS3 was stolen with my save on it during college, which is basically right at the turning point of Luke's character. I'm really enjoying the game and the story, and I'm a huge fan of Guy (seriously he is super cute, totally reminds me of Flynn from Tales of Vesperia, plus his fear of the opposite gender makes him super adorable).

[quote name='raiden_86']I have a quick question since you guys seem to know your rpgs. I'm trading for Valkyrie Profile 2 & Shadow Hearts Covenant today, but it looks like I can only get one, so which one? VP2 is cheaper for me so I'm leaning towards that if SH2 isn't a whole lot better. I prefer story and gameplay over anything. Pm me if you don't want to post here to my random question & thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

SH2 was great. The story wasn't quite as good as the first one but it features some really interesting, quirky characters and a great timing-based attack system.

VP2 is okay as well, but you really need a guide to go through it and some of the isometric platforming sequences get old.

[quote name='blueshinra']You need to play more Dragon Quest :p Besides that, out of the recent JRPGs I've played, Rune Factory 3 has a really good, non-WTF ending. It's very sweet, actually.[/QUOTE]
well RF3 does have a wtf boss battle and wtf are these plans that the final boss set in motion.

but after that it's pretty nice.

seriously you'd think that jrpgs that have been using cliched stereotypes, plots and characters for years would settle on a nice ending pattern as well. is it really that hard? i would think that after defeating the evil boss, you just need to add in a quick ending about how all your party members are doing and how the world has changed.

it's really annoying when they decide that the ending has to be a twist and it's usually some stupid twist as well.

SHC all the way. Such an excellent game.

[quote name='kainzero']well RF3 does have a wtf boss battle and wtf are these plans that the final boss set in motion.[/QUOTE]
I'd forgotten about the final boss. It is pretty WTF.

I played a few hours of Lenneth during a car ride this weekend.

I wasn't missing the american changes so much and I'll deal with those inconveniences if I can finally play this game to the end.

Which I probably still won't do.

I didn't really like either of them, but if you liked Shadow Hearts 1 then you'll like 2. Otherwise the first 1/3 of VP2 is fun.

[quote name='blueshinra']I'd forgotten about the final boss. It is pretty WTF.[/QUOTE]

Yep, now if only RF4 wasn't going to be a 3DS release.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Yep, now if only RF4 wasn't going to be a 3DS release.[/QUOTE]
Between that, Etrian Odyssey IV, and a couple of DQ spinoff games, it looks like I'll definitely be getting a 3DS at some point.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It looks like I'm going with SH2 when I finalize the trade and VP2 will just have to wait. Also, if anyone knows where I can get Digital Devil Saga 1 for under $20 shipped let me know, that's the best price I could find atm.

Despite all the crazy praise it gets I never got into the SH series. I've owned them all but never committed to beating any of them. Furthest I got was SH3. I liked the setting of 1920's America. Still, kinda weird to see Capone being good friends with a giant, kung fu cat.

VP2 was good. I was a big fan of the first, plus I love anything Norse Mythology. Kinda confusing on how it ties into VP1. I wish the series would expand. I'd like to see more VP.

So I'm either going to get, Witcher 2, Tales of Graces or Xenoblade. I'm torn between all three. Witcher 2 looks like a great story, but I've been burned by WRPGs before. Graces has that combat system I love, but everything else looks kinda meh. And Xenoblade has been getting crazy good reviews across the board.

I'm leaning torwards Xenoblade or Witcher 2. What your opinion CAG?

They're all games I'd recommend at some point or another for various reasons. Xenoblade will last you the longest easily, so go with that and by the time you finish the other two will hopefully have dropped in price.

[quote name='Rodimus']So I'm either going to get, Witcher 2, Tales of Graces or Xenoblade. I'm torn between all three. Witcher 2 looks like a great story, but I've been burned by WRPGs before. Graces has that combat system I love, but everything else looks kinda meh. And Xenoblade has been getting crazy good reviews across the board.

I'm leaning torwards Xenoblade or Witcher 2. What your opinion CAG?[/QUOTE]

I say get Xenoblade. It's pretty good, but was for sure over hyped. So far I think there is only one char that you would want to kill, but I just tossed him in the back and will not use him. The Witcher 2 was pretty good on PC but I got the feeling of " been there, done that" a lot during the game.

You really should also go back to Shadow Hearts, skip three though. It's a raging pos.

I don't own SH3 anymore so I'll never get back into that, but SH2 is still sitting pretty in my cabinet just begging me to play it. But if I do get into a RPG it'll probably be something new.

My wife is taking a trip to Tokyo and bringing our daughter with her in the next few weeks. I'll be all alone so I want to take advantage of the situation and clock in some major gaming time. So far I have Warriors Orochi 3, Deadly Premonition and either Witcher 2 or Xenoblade lined up for my vegfest.

[quote name='blueshinra']Between that, Etrian Odyssey IV, and a couple of DQ spinoff games, it looks like I'll definitely be getting a 3DS at some point.[/QUOTE]

I'm holding out for the inevitable light unit.

The top screen for my DSL is going out. I can only play it with it sitting on a desk with the screen just right. But I've got a $50 American Express GC and a ton of GS credit ready to pull on a 3ds NEXT as soon as they announce something.

What if you spend all this money for a 3DSXL when its something thats almost completely unsupported when you can get the next DS that has full 3DS bc?

3 month old PSP and I just turned it on for the first time, so that I could lend it to someone who needed it for a trip. Will eventually play Growlanser 4, Gungnir and Grand Knights History...I guess?

The next version of 3DS will likely not be able to play DS games. Nintendo loves to remove BC after a revision

I bought another DS Lite last year since, AFAIK, that was the last region-free handheld Nintendo made and I have import DS games, so I'm all set :p

Depending on the features, a 3DS revision may or may not be for me, but either way, the original will probably drop in price once that comes about.

So, if I'm considering a PSP to pick up all the RPGs that came out, which I've missed out on. What's the cheapest way to go?

A PSP 3000 or whatever? Used games from gamestop? Sales from PSN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back