RPGs on the Wii?

Arch Sage Ron

CAG Veteran
Are there any worth mentioning that are currently available (besides Fire Emblem)? What should I be looking forward to? (any RPG really whether it's Strategy or Real-Time, etc.)

Opoona, specially for the price you can find it for at Gamestops now. Its a great pickup for the Wii if youre looking for an RPG.

[quote name='Squarehard']Opoona, specially for the price you can find it for at Gamestops now. Its a great pickup for the Wii if youre looking for an RPG.[/QUOTE]

Seconded, but good luck finding a new copy that hasn't been gutted. I went to five GameStops before I found one.

These are the ones that comes to mind for me:

Out Now:
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (WiiWare)
Little King's Story
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Phantom Brave: We Meet Again
Rune Factory Frontier
Super Paper Mario - Not sure if this considered a RPG
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Coming Soon:
Arc Rise Fantasia
Dragon Quest X
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Monster Hunter Tri
Tales of Graces
Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga

Dragon Quest Swords isn't half as bad as reviews made it out to be, but just barely counts as RPG in my opinion. If you can find a cheap used copy then I recommend it, but don't pay full price.

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon is quite a good title also. Always forgotten, but fun to play in my opinion.

Stay away from Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (unless you get the DS version - that's a better choice) and definitely consider Phantom Brave if you haven't already played it on PS2.

I really want to try Opoona sometime... the game didn't review very well, and I skipped it initially. But I've heard a lot of good comments about the title since then, and for $10 it sounds worth trying.

I personally found Opoona asking too much of the player. The environments were bland, and it was so easy to get lost in the enormous building, and there was no sort of map system. Battling with the ball just really wasn't that fun after the first few rounds.

If you like Mario, I totally second Super Paper Mario.

[quote name='utopianmachine']
If you like Mario, I totally second Super Paper Mario.[/QUOTE]

I understand the appeal of Super PM, but I really loved Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, and was very disappointed with Super PM. I wanted another RPG-style game and, in my opinion, Super PM is platformer, through and through. I also found that the characters and music didn't have the same charm as it's predecessor and I think that prevented me from emersing myself in the story.

(Damn, after reading that I'm convinced I'm turning into a nerd!)

As Cube Daddy said, Super Paper Mario is not an RPG. It's nothing like Super Mario RPG or Paper Mario, just a platformer with some very light RPG elements thrown in. Incredibly disappointing if you go in expecting it to be like the previous Mario RPG games. The game was easily my biggest letdown as far as Nintendo Wii purchases go.

However, if you go in knowing exactly what it is and are still interested, you'll probably have fun with it.

Thirding Chocobo's Dungeon, especially if you like dungeon crawlers. It's got some tiny little issues, but in general, its a very fun game.

I haven't picked up any other RPGs for the Wii yet (got a ton of PS2 and DS ones to get through first), but I've got my eye on Opoona and the Tales of Symphonia sequel. Oh, and Rune Factory Frontier; I'm a fan of the DS games, which are basically "Harvest Moon meets action RPGs", and the Wii one is supposed to be very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never played Tales of Symphonia, but Dawn of the New World doesn't seem too good according to some reviews I've read. If the next one for the Wii gets better I may look into it (correct me if I'm wrong about ToS DotNW)

bread's done
Back