Rumble Is Coming soon - Sony and Immersion end lawsuit.

I know I am probably the minority here, but I cant stand the rumble controllers. They add nothing to a game. The only time it was fun was in Metal Gear Solid and when I had a rumble pack for N64 that would shake full gear nonstop every time someone used it.

More likely then not they will add it, but I hope they dont. Having to go through every games menus to shut that crap off gets annoying real fast.

I don't really care for rumble controllers, but if they put out controllers with rumble then good, it'll finally stop the bitching about it.

[quote name='musha666']More likely then not they will add it, but I hope they dont. Having to go through every games menus to shut that crap off gets annoying real fast.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but if you use the current SIXAXIS that doesn't have rumble in it you'll be set! Everyone will get what they want!

Rumble is so last gen.

jk, I kinda like rumble controllers and missed it at first. now I barely notice it's missing.

I like Force Feedback in driving games. Force Feedback could help SIXAXIS control. Imagine a game where the controller shakes when you tilt it too much one way or the other. I hope if they put rumble back it is placed with improvements.

rumble is over-rated, at least rumble as we know it. I hope that Nintendo or someone else invents the new "rumble". Also, I wonder what Sony and Immersion settled for. I'd laugh my pants off if it's a better deal than M$ cut.

I would love to see them shoot a wheel with force feedback out there soon. I can wait for rumble in the sixaxis. I do not feel that I miss it in titles like Resistance but it would be nice in the driving games that is for sure.

When has rumble ever added anything to a game? Other than Metal Gear Solid and Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time, I've never seen a game put rumble to good use. And even then, the rumble "feature" was only mildly useful/interesting. If it can keep the price of the controllers down, keep rumble out. Next up, get rid of the useless speaker in the Wiimote. Again, to keep costs down.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I wonder how much this just cost Sony...[/QUOTE]

By not including it from the start ?

Or

Finally coming to their senses .

[quote name='Richlough']By not including it from the start ?

Or

Finally coming to their senses .[/quote]

Money wise. You know they had to pay Immersion a hefty sum for this.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Money wise. You know they had to pay Immersion a hefty sum for this.[/QUOTE]

I know what you meant , I just wanted to express that it has cost them in 2 ways .

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']When has rumble ever added anything to a game? Other than Metal Gear Solid and Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time, I've never seen a game put rumble to good use. And even then, the rumble "feature" was only mildly useful/interesting. If it can keep the price of the controllers down, keep rumble out. Next up, get rid of the useless speaker in the Wiimote. Again, to keep costs down.[/QUOTE]

There are tons of shooters, racing games, fighting games etc. where it's used as a minor form of force feedback. It's not a make or break deal, but neither is 5.1 audio or all those super l33t graphics: it adds to the immersion to feel the gun kick in your hand, or the reverb of a horse's hooves, or a chainsaw revving and chewing through an enemy, or whatever. Tactile sensation -- though best when subtle -- adds a lot.

At the very least, it's got a better track record than sixaxis control so far.

[quote name='Richlough']I know what you meant , I just wanted to express that it has cost them in 2 ways .[/quote]

;) Only 2?

[quote name='musha666']I know I am probably the minority here, but I cant stand the rumble controllers. They add nothing to a game. The only time it was fun was in Metal Gear Solid and when I had a rumble pack for N64 that would shake full gear nonstop every time someone used it.

More likely then not they will add it, but I hope they dont. Having to go through every games menus to shut that crap off gets annoying real fast.[/QUOTE]

You're not alone. I can't stand it either. When you add rumble to UNO, what exactly has that done for the game? How has that made it better? :lol: That's the epitome of what I consider to be the overuse of a mediocre add-on....

Others may like it, and that's fine, but keep it out of my Sixaxis. It doesn't help me enjoy a game any better having to go to the menu to turn off rumble. :roll:

I do not slight anyone for enjoying it, but I am not among the people clamoring for it to return to Sony controllers.

[quote name='musha666']I know I am probably the minority here, but I cant stand the rumble controllers. They add nothing to a game. The only time it was fun was in Metal Gear Solid and when I had a rumble pack for N64 that would shake full gear nonstop every time someone used it.

More likely then not they will add it, but I hope they dont. Having to go through every games menus to shut that crap off gets annoying real fast.[/quote]

Same here. I have never liked the rumble feature. I think the Dreamcast and N64 got it right by making it an add on pack if you wanted it.

I love rumble, it adds a nice tactile element, especially when you roll over a menu with the wii, or feel a heartbeat. I always felt dreamcast rumble was way too over the top.

Rumble is a big part of the experience for me. Sure, I can live without it, but I'd prefer not to. And if I had both an Xbox 360 and PS3 i'd always chose the 360 version of a multiplatform game for rumble alone...

When used well, rumble is great and I think it was a big mistake for Sony not to include it. It's not a dealbreaker, no, but it really does add a lot to some kinds of games. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it.

I thought the lawsuit was settled long ago? No?

Anyway. I would buy a set of rumble Sony controllers.
Sorry original SIXAXIS. You'd go into the closet. Well except when that whiny friend who hates rumble comes over.

[quote name='dallow']I thought the lawsuit was settled long ago? No?

Anyway. I would buy a set of rumble Sony controllers.
Sorry original SIXAXIS. You'd go into the closet. Well except when that whiny friend who hates rumble comes over.[/quote]

It was settled between MS and Nintendo long ago, but Sony refused to pay the 90 million dollars... until now...

[quote name='dallow']Immersion has made so much money, for doing so little.
Love it.[/quote]

Only in the US of A! :)

Still, I don't expect them to go running hand and hand through fields of flowers just yet so I don't think we'll see rumble returning any time soon.

OMG RUMBLE!!!!!!

Future PlayStation products to get vibration technology

Sony has entered into a new agreement that will see Immersion Corporation's rumble technology included in future PlayStation products.

The deal comes after both companies settled their long-running legal dispute over vibration technology in Sony controllers.
"We are pleased to have put this litigation behind us," commented CEO of Immersion, Victor Viegas.

"Our new business agreement with Sony is specifically intended to enable advanced vibration capability for the benefit of the PlayStation community."
"We are happy to provide our technology in this regard and hope to make technical proposals very soon with respect to use of our technology in the PlayStation products."

Sony has been criticised for dropping vibration features from the PlayStation 3's Sixaxis controller, although this new agreement indicates that the feature will return to Sony hardware.

"We look forward to exploring with Immersion exciting new ways to bring the largest and best range of gameplay experiences to our customers," said Kaz Hirai, president of Sony Computer Entertainment.

"We are very excited about our new partnership with Immersion and the potential for new and innovative products incorporating their technologies," he added.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23209

They keep finding new PR lows that I previously thought didn't exist, new measurements for the amount of foot capable of being inserted into mouth. I suppose for you Sony believers/PS3 owners, this is good news, but just wonder for a minute if they didn't know this settlement was coming months ago. I'll bet they did. More accessory sales for them, after all.

This is the point where you get angry and knee-jerk defensive. Your move.

I actually hate rumble.
But there are a LOT of people who love it.
SO this is good news.

Now i just hope we see Old Non rumble PS3 controllers get price drops when the new rumble enabled ones comes out.

[quote name='jollydwarf']They keep finding new PR lows that I previously thought didn't exist, new measurements for the amount of foot capable of being inserted into mouth. I suppose for you Sony believers/PS3 owners, this is good news, but just wonder for a minute if they didn't know this settlement was coming months ago. I'll bet they did. More accessory sales for them, after all.

This is the point where you get angry and knee-jerk defensive. Your move.[/QUOTE]

I'll bite! It used to be that games, accessories, and consoles were important to the success of a console. Apparently, this gen it's PR. It's funny, in the past day with plenty of rumors floating around about Sony fixing all the stand-out problems with the PS3, besides the price, the haters have taken to attacking their PR guys. :lol:

Well, they are begging for it.

The "last-gen" statements coming mere days before this settlement (don't tell me it 'just came up' over a couple pitchers) not only look incredibly bad, but even worse, they make me wonder if Sony wasn't trying to use blogs and sites like agents using the newspapers and talk shows for contract negotiations. Did they actually think that the consensus of gamers would vociferously agree, thus getting Immersion to give ground??

If you did, Immersion, shame on your sucky, spineless asses.

It's unfortunate that all the games out so far won't support it when they otherwise would have, since it wasn't part of the original dev kits. At least that probably means cheap controllers as they phase those out and bring in what should have been standard in the 1st place.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']I actually hate rumble.
But there are a LOT of people who love it.
SO this is good news.

Now i just hope we see Old Non rumble PS3 controllers get price drops when the new rumble enabled ones comes out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, rumble feature does suck. But it sells. One less thing that Nintendo/M$ fan boys wont be able to use to bash the PS3.

[quote name='musha666']One less thing that Nintendo/M$ fan boys wont be able to use to bash the PS3.[/quote]

Why would they need to? The people who should be the most pissed are the people have already bought a system with gimped controllers.

I thought Rumble was unnecessary from Sony's perspective?

After 10 years of Sony kicking the crap out of Nintendo I'm loving this ps3 debacle more and more.

Yeah yeah, fanboy whatever. I like Nintendo better who cares. For those of you who like Sony better (or equally) don't worry, the PS3 will catch up. It's an impressive machine and they are in the middle of a 10-year strategy with the machine. PS3 has plenty of very bright moments ahead of it and with Sony finally coming back out of the stratosphere and joining the rest of us here on Earth, a more even battleground between the three platforms is going to produce benefits for all systems.

As for the present, it's nice to see that Sony is not entirely invincible and that the gaming community doesn't just give them a "pass" because they've been so popular for the last 10 years. Like I said, there are bright days ahead for the PS3 but I'm glad to see they're going to have to earn those bright days like everyone else.

I think rumble is practically essential for driving games. Everywhere else I could take it or leave it.

bread's done
Back