Rumor: DSi Dated and Price for US - $179.99

[quote name='kiril']Does anyone have information about how DSiWare works exactly?
I get that it's basically the DS version of WiiWare.
What I'm curious about is how accounts work?
Right now I have a DS lite and both of my boys have the original DS. If in some far off future we all had a DSi, could I buy something from DSiWare once and share it between us? Or would we each have to purchase the same game?
What happens if one's DSi gets stolen, lost, or broken? Can DSiWare then be placed on a replacement unit?[/QUOTE]

Going by how Nintendo tends to work and the way Wiiware works, my speculation would be the following:

1) You won't be able to share content between DSi's.
1a) There is a SMALL chance you can IF you make a ClubNintendo account, make it into a family account, and then have everyone's DSi registered there. That MIGHT allow you to share the same program/game around, but again - I really doubt this.
2) If a DSi gets lost/stolen, you're probably out of luck.
3) If a DSi gets broken, you'll probably have to send it into Nintendo along with your new one, and they'll transfer the information.

There is all assuming we won't be able to do this ourselves, since the DSiware is supposed to be playing directly off the SD card, meaning there's a bigger chance for piracy. But Nintendo probably has that on lockdown.

Short answer: Everyone needs their own version, which requires multiple buys, sharing is out, and don't lose or break your system.

I'm sure *actual* answers to these questions exist since it's out in Japan, but I wouldn't know where to track that information down.

[quote name='Strell']I'm sure *actual* answers to these questions exist since it's out in Japan, but I wouldn't know where to track that information down.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Strell. Your conjecture mirrors my own; I was hoping there was published information somewhere about how this works in Japan, but so far I haven't found anything.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I just want Mario and Luigi 3 :([/quote]

My fear early on was that you'll need a DSi to play it (just as #2 was a forced upgrade from GBA to DS). I don't think Nintendo would be that short-sighted (I hope) given the large DS installed base, but you never know...

I've read nothing about M&L 3 requiring DSi. I doubt any major cart based games will require DSi. There's too large of a base with the DS and DS Lite. With the second one it came out after the DS had started selling like crazy and they had incentive to get people off the GBA as they knew they'd be abandoning it.

[quote name='silent h3ro']I think it's safe to say that 99.9% of CAGs will not be buying one of these until it's the only option and that's only if it's on sale. :D[/QUOTE]

I think that is taking it a bit far. I'll pick one up if only because I'm concerned that the hinges on my DS lite are getting loose and it has seen better days (I have a bad habit of knocking things off the nightstand. If Gamestop were to offer a decent trade in deal I might jump on day one... Otherwise someone will offer a deal in the first few weeks that causes enough interest to make the front page of CAG.

Still at $180 I think Nintendo is pricing themselves out of a part of the market. However, the PSP still moves fairly well at that price.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I thought M&L3 was DSi only?[/QUOTE]

Don't think so. Just googled and skimmed some previews and they all just said "DS" and made no mention of the DSi whatsoever. Including a 1up preview updated this month.

Well ain't this a humdinger of a... something something (I'm not sure where I was going with that).

Anyways, bushing of hackmii (HomeBrew Channel for the Wii) took a look at the DSi and found some things about it that are... interesting. These are things that have been theorized about the DSi in the past; some Wii comparisons in his post. The main point of interest in his post?

[quote name='bushing']The reason this device is interesting to me is that the DSi seems to be to the DS what the Wii was to the GameCube. The DSi has two modes — a “native mode” and a “compatibility mode”. In the compatibility mode, the clock is slown down to half the speed and access to the new peripherals is disabled — sound familiar? In the native mode, you get a faster clock and more RAM — used to perform the real-time face recognition and image processing shown above — as well as an SD slot and two cameras (front and back-facing). The device boots up into a “System Menu” that is fairly reminiscent of the Wii.[/quote]

While I'm sure this will spark interest among homebrew developers, the line that the DS mode operates at half the clock really makes me wonder about the possibility of DSiWare eventually taking advantage of this extra power. Then again, it may be like the PSP's 333MHz clock; something used sparingly due to the hit in battery life.

Unfortunately, Nintendo has yet to show anything in DSiWare that seems to tax the DS, except maybe that Warioware game that utilizes the camera.

If you can't share the DSiWare then the only way I'd buy one of these is if the the DSiWare is free/very inexpensive and also very good. Somehow I doubt we'd got both of those. So... the only way I'll be getting one of these is if Nintendo wises up and allows you to install and play your DSiWare on multiple DSi's, like Apple does with the iPhone/iPod Touch. I really doubt that's going to happen, though, and if it doesn't, I sincerely hope this proves to be a major fail for Nintendo.

I'm definitely getting one, but I may just wait until the $149 price drop, unless that seems too far off. But I may need to get rid of my blue Phat. I don't need 3 DSs. I would keep my lite for the GBA slot and as a backup. But I have no phone/digital camera or MP3 player. This would do nicely and it would motivate me to play the DS more since I would likely carry it around for tunes and quick snapshots. If I play it more, I might invest in more games too. I think Nintendo is doing right with this device. I just think it could be a bit cheaper. But it may not get cheaper since it will sell like the DS and Wii do.

I just hope you can play WiiWare titles on it and that you can play DSWare titles on Wii. If you could play Wii games remotely on the DSi, that would be cool too, though not probable.

Some in this thread have said that they think it is going to be an epic fail based upon the responses from CAGs. But CAGs also thought the DS would be a failure. Then they thought a revised DS in the DSl was too soon and that it wouldn't go over well with the "early adopters". Then they thought that Wii would be a failure. Then when it wasn't, it was just a fad. Then when it wasn't a fad, it wasn't hardcore gamers buying them. Then Wii Fit was going to sell like crap... etc, etc.

I think CAG sentiment is a pretty crappy way of judging market success and profitability over the past 5-6 years. The DSi isn't going to print money. But it will finally unveil the secret of alchemy.

only way i would buy one is if the New one i just got saturday would go out (meaning best buy would give me a 130 buck gift card)

and they had tons of RPG games to download

There's no way I'd buy this without GBA compatibility. Taking that away and adding gimmick features makes this the shit product of the year. The DS Lite and old GBAs are going to be expensive as fuck on eBay.

People who don't know what they are talking about shouldn't post in threads concerning such topics.

Just a thought.

CAGs predictions of product success/failure definitely make for a good laugh. However, I think I'm pretty sure that *I* won't buy one if the DSi-ware isn't loadable on multiple DSi (allow for loading on 5 DSi, perhaps, taking Apple's model?) and if not, I do hope that it will be a failure, because I've got 2 kids that will also want one and then if we have to all buy copies of some DSiWare game in order to play it, then it's not going to seem like such a good deal and it's going to seem equally bad or worse if we have to pass around/exchange DSi in order to play the right game on the right DSi. Ridiculous! Hopefully, though, they do this right and make my concern moot.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Meh, $20 more and you can purchase the vastly superior PSP.

I'll pass.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Oh man. Thanks for that. "Vastly Superior" :lol:

[quote name='OlDirtyBastard']Im gonna have to pass on this one, especially at this price. I love my ds lite and dont really see a reason to upgrade it to the dsi.
How many times has anyone really used the camera on their phone? I just don't ever see myself using it on the DS.[/quote]

Agreed. Not to mention, the incredibly minuscule amount of megapixels the camera "offers".

I might upgrade, though to say my DS Lite is the Dialga & Palkia one from Japan that I got in May 2007, so I haven't even had it for two years. I love the design...if only there was a Blue DSi at launch...

The one thing that is going to make me buy it is the quality of the screen. If the jump is as big as GBA to GBA SP or DS phat to DS Lite then I will be getting one with my extra store credit.

I wonder how long Nintendo has had the idea to put a camera into the DS.

I started Trace Memory for the first time yesterday, which came out under a year from launch, and in the game they have the fat model DS taking pictures. FORESHADOWING

I would pick one up if I have a steady income when it comes out. The jump from my old DS to the DSi should be goon enough for me to pay for the difference between the DS Lite and DSi.

bread's done
Back