Rumor: Ferrox PS3 ISO Loader!

fuzz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
This was taken from maxconsole.net so bare with me here. It is a video of Ferrox v1.0 in action for the PS3 - it is supposedly an ISO loader for Sony's next generation machine. The video suggests that this loader if released will work on ALL firmware versions thanks in due part to a vulnerability in the PS3's hyper visor.

But it IMO does not show a lot of vital information as to how it would work.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnemvWw5Cuw[/media]

$600 seems even more justified, you get a premium 360 with a lifetime membership to "Live" and all the games you can play.

And I love the "thanks to" in the credits.

I hope it's not true. Piracy would kill the PS3 like what's happening with the PSP.

Why do people feel the urge to steal video games for the current systems? I can understand downloading roms for older systems (but even then it has some drawbacks like you have to play it on the computer). But with new systems if everyone starts buying bootlegs or downloading off the internet (I'm think this isn't the best way) then who will support the actual developers?

[quote name='jngx80']I hope it's not true. Piracy would kill the PS3 like what's happening with the PSP.

Why do people feel the urge to steal video games for the current systems? I can understand downloading roms for older systems (but even then it has some drawbacks like you have to play it on the computer). But with new systems if everyone starts buying bootlegs or downloading off the internet (I'm think this isn't the best way) then who will support the actual developers?[/QUOTE]

The original xbox was even easier to hack and easier to steal games with (you could pop in a disc and rip it to the HD with a simple, $30 mod installation.) It did just fine, because MS was committed to it and continued to release good games for it. Even the PS2 was hackable in this way.

The only thing that's going to kill the PSP and PS3 is a lack of support, high development costs that prevent games from being made for it, and the high cost of the console.

[quote name='mtxbass1']My God, why the fuck do people feel the urge to put music that in no way has any place or fit in a video like this?[/QUOTE]

100% agree, or why have music at all? I mean c'mon if you are making the video to show us how somehting works how about a little commentary on what you are doing and how it works? If not at least find something less random (and IMO bad).

god, that music was wretched. Didn't realize the speakers were on this computer at school.

Way to steal, fuckers.

[quote name='Apossum']The original xbox was even easier to hack and easier to steal games with (you could pop in a disc and rip it to the HD with a simple, $30 mod installation.) It did just fine, because MS was committed to it and continued to release good games for it. Even the PS2 was hackable in this way.

The only thing that's going to kill the PSP and PS3 is a lack of support, high development costs that prevent games from being made for it, and the high cost of the console.[/QUOTE]

Modchips are different because it requires labor. The general public will not crack open their console and install a modchip in it, especially if it requires soldering. How many people have a soldering iron anyways?

IF this iso loader is real, via an easy software install, firmwares can't stop it, and is released this early in the PS3 life it can either hurt game sales or developers may see this and want to avoid the PS3. Hopefully the size of a PS3 game will deter people from downloading, but I know that some people don't mind setting their computer on for a few days to download a 5gb file.

Bootleggers are also becoming bolder. I see a lot of stuff on craigslist these days and knowing first hand how cheap some of the users are, pirated copies selling for like $10 or $20 would be irresistable. We are CAGs but there's a line that needs to be drawn.

[quote name='jngx80']Modchips are different because it requires labor. The general public will not crack open their console and install a modchip in it, especially if it requires soldering. How many people have a soldering iron anyways?

IF this iso loader is real, via an easy software install, firmwares can't stop it, and is released this early in the PS3 life it can either hurt game sales or developers may see this and want to avoid the PS3. Hopefully the size of a PS3 game will deter people from downloading, but I know that some people don't mind setting their computer on for a few days to download a 5gb file.[/quote]

Or the devs can shoot 10 gb or 30 gbs of garbage for games that don't fill the disc and then people won't even bother because the hdd can't even fit the games

[quote name='panasonic']Or the devs can shoot 10 gb or 30 gbs of garbage for games that don't fill the disc and then people won't even bother because the hdd can't even fit the games[/quote]

Or the people who make the isos cut out the crap, just like tehy did to make the games fit on CDs.

[quote name='jngx80']I hope it's not true. Piracy would kill the PS3 like what's happening with the PSP.[/QUOTE]

While I don't condone piracy, I think piracy is a major reason why the PSone and PS2 were so popular worldwide. I know for a fact that it is still big business in Asia. Back when I was in college there was a store that specialized in chipping systems and ONLY sold pirated games. I think they were caught maybe a year later?

[quote name='help1']Or the people who make the isos cut out the crap, just like tehy did to make the games fit on CDs.[/quote]

can't the devs make the game to do a check against the garbage file and it won't run if it is missing.

Well this could be good for sony if the games can't be compressed to fit on DVDs, people will need to start buying up blu ray writers and blank discs. I also don't think the number of people doing this will be much greater than those who had hacked PS2/Xboxes.

[quote name='TimPV3']$600 seems even more justified, you get a premium 360 with a lifetime membership to "Live" and all the games you can play.

And I love the "thanks to" in the credits.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

Not only does the PS3 online lack tons of features the 360 does, but the 360 can be hacked to play burned DVD's. So $2 a DVD and you get the full game. I would say that fully justifys the $300 pricetag (or $400 as most people like to claim).

[quote name='panasonic']can't the devs make the game to do a check against the garbage file and it won't run if it is missing.[/quote]

No idea, but I think the people who rip the games would get by it.

[quote name='jngx80']Modchips are different because it requires labor. The general public will not crack open their console and install a modchip in it, especially if it requires soldering. How many people have a soldering iron anyways?

IF this iso loader is real, via an easy software install, firmwares can't stop it, and is released this early in the PS3 life it can either hurt game sales or developers may see this and want to avoid the PS3. Hopefully the size of a PS3 game will deter people from downloading, but I know that some people don't mind setting their computer on for a few days to download a 5gb file.

Bootleggers are also becoming bolder. I see a lot of stuff on craigslist these days and knowing first hand how cheap some of the users are, pirated copies selling for like $10 or $20 would be irresistable. We are CAGs but there's a line that needs to be drawn.[/QUOTE]

um, lots of people own soldering irons :lol: but that's beside the point because they don't require labor-- you can pay a modder like an extra $30 for the installation AND get loaded with games and emulators on top of that. It's intentionally priced so that it's comparable to the price of 1 new game. They also advertise on Craig's List and I guarantee they are more popular than the people who sell burnt games (which I rarely see any more. that was common with the first batch of suckers who modded their xboxes but now everyone knows about bit-torrent.)

and it would be easier for sony to block something that is installed at the software level (see firmware updates) vs. the hardware level (see the first xbox. the only thing they could do is block you from Xbox Live.)

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that it's highly debatable whether piracy has killed any system. In fact, a lot of people speculate that modability played a role in the first Xbox's success.

[quote name='assasin4hire']Already...ps3 will die because of hackers..[/QUOTE]

Like I said before, the 360 has been hacked and its still alive. A very small percentage will actual 'hack' a system. Most don't understand it and will simply buy games instead.

It really depends on the simplicity ofthe hack. Look at the Dreamcast, that thing was the playskool version of console hacking and it paid dearly for it. Someone mentioned developer support being the reason a console dies? Well developers will rapidly run away from a system that's easily hacked like the Dreamcast was. So hacking in and of itself doesn't cause a system to fail but depending on how easy it is to hack, it will lead to it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']It really depends on the simplicity ofthe hack. Look at the Dreamcast, that thing was the playskool version of console hacking and it paid dearly for it. Someone mentioned developer support being the reason a console dies? Well developers will rapidly run away from a system that's easily hacked like the Dreamcast was. So hacking in and of itself doesn't cause a system to fail but depending on how easy it is to hack, it will lead to it.[/QUOTE]
Dreamcast suffered on a number of levels outside of its hackability, including the forboding PS2 (at the time details of the console were known, so it was perceived to be a vastly superior system to the DC), as well as a complete lack of EA support, little Konami support (no MGS, no Castlevania), little Capcom support (yeah MvC2 was the bee's knees, but it was one game), and no solid RPGs outside of Skies of Arcadia.

Look, I like my DC, but I always regard it as that lil' system that I can play all my old quirky Sega games on - Shenmue, Samba de Amigo, Seaman, Crazy Taxi, etc. It was a niche console that had amazing games for niche gamers, but very little mainstream appeal.

As for hacks, I can understand frustration over its existence, but at the same time, if you don't want to be one of those people, don't be one of those people. This doesn't mean "don't use an ISO Loader," it means "buy the fucking games you play." Your arm isn't being twisted into playing these titles, but there are good usages for these hacks. I, for one, want Sony to make good on "region free" promises they made - I sold my JPN PS2 prematurely, and am now hoping for a hack to let me play my import PS1 and PS2 games. Maybe a nice emulator, like I use on my PSP to play PSX games I own on the go. You can use hacks and not be a pirate, but, of course, the temptation to think "I'm just one person, it won't make any difference" is great.

[quote name='mykevermin']Dreamcast suffered on a number of levels outside of its hackability, including the forboding PS2 (at the time details of the console were known, so it was perceived to be a vastly superior system to the DC), as well as a complete lack of EA support, little Konami support (no MGS, no Castlevania), little Capcom support (yeah MvC2 was the bee's knees, but it was one game), and no solid RPGs outside of Skies of Arcadia.

Look, I like my DC, but I always regard it as that lil' system that I can play all my old quirky Sega games on - Shenmue, Samba de Amigo, Seaman, Crazy Taxi, etc. It was a niche console that had amazing games for niche gamers, but very little mainstream appeal.

As for hacks, I can understand frustration over its existence, but at the same time, if you don't want to be one of those people, don't be one of those people. This doesn't mean "don't use an ISO Loader," it means "buy the fucking games you play." Your arm isn't being twisted into playing these titles, but there are good usages for these hacks. I, for one, want Sony to make good on "region free" promises they made - I sold my JPN PS2 prematurely, and am now hoping for a hack to let me play my import PS1 and PS2 games. Maybe a nice emulator, like I use on my PSP to play PSX games I own on the go. You can use hacks and not be a pirate, but, of course, the temptation to think "I'm just one person, it won't make any difference" is great.[/QUOTE]

I thought the reason those companies decided not support the Dreamcast though was because of their worries about the lack of piracy security?

[quote name='evilmax17']Actually, DC had full Capcom support. New IPs and everything.
I was just being picky with your post, though.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough; I completely forgot that Code Veronica made its first appearance on the DC. I'm not convinced that Gunbird or Cannon Spike were franchises to peg Capcom as providing support. After all, there's a particular blue icon of Capcom's who never showed up on the DC that I know of. Nevertheless, that is a large list of titles, and if I wanted to be ultra picky I'd call most of them inconsequential rereleases and B-list franchises (I like Power Stone as well, but it's not that widely popular). Still more support than I had suggested, so correction noted.

RvB, my memory is fuzzy, so I don't know what the answer to that question is. I wasn't aware of how easily pirated the DC was until 2002 or so, really, so it's hard for me to say. I'd argue, though, that the lack of support from major companies at launch suggested a before-the-fact publisher skepticism of how well the DC would do.

I knew this would come back to the DC :lol:

That system had so much more than hacking against it. Like I said, look at the xbox. Modded xboxes are very popular, as are modded PSPs.

[quote name='Apossum']I knew this would come back to the DC :lol:

That system had so much more than hacking against it. Like I said, look at the xbox. Modded xboxes are very popular, as are modded PSPs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but hacking those systems consist of more than inserting one disc letting it boot up and then inserting another disc. The dreamcast was so ridiculously hackable that Sega should be infinitely ashamed of themselves. I mean fuck, even the Saturn wasn't that easily hackable and it was the system BEFORE the Dreamcast.

[quote name='jngx80']I hope it's not true. Piracy would kill the PS3 like what's happening with the PSP.
[/QUOTE]
If anything is killing the PSP (and I'm not sure if that's a valid statement to begin with) it's a lack of compelling games and a too-high price point for the system and games. I really don't think piracy has ever "killed" a system. The fact of the matter is that no matter how easy it is to hack a system (and the PS3 doesn't exactly seem "easy" if only for the reason of storage space), most people will still buy games at retail.

[quote name='icruise']If anything is killing the PSP (and I'm not sure if that's a valid statement to begin with) it's a lack of compelling games and a too-high price point for the system and games. I really don't think piracy has ever "killed" a system. The fact of the matter is that no matter how easy it is to hack a system (and the PS3 doesn't exactly seem "easy" if only for the reason of storage space), most people will still buy games at retail.[/quote]
I think the psp has amazing games and all the games are now much cheaper, if anything that is hurting the psp in US is lack of proper advertising, and in japan the games might not appeal to their tastes until this year maybe when like 6 final fantasy related games come out.

[quote name='panasonic']I think the psp has amazing games and all the games are now much cheaper, if anything that is hurting the psp in US is lack of proper advertising, and in japan the games might not appeal to their tastes until this year maybe when like 6 final fantasy related games come out.[/QUOTE]
It has a lot of great games and I have 2 PSPs, so I'm not bashing it. But when I say "compelling" games, I'm referring to the kind of games that get people excited about the system, or that might attract players who aren't hardcore gamers. So far, there haven't been too many games like that, which is too bad, because I think the PSP is great.

At this stage PS3 piracy is rediculous and useless. Games will be too large and bulky for most people to care and blu-ray burners are rather costly as well as the media. Even widespread piracy doesn't mean shit. The mass public and the large amounts of people who actually buy games don't resort to such means. The Frickin DS is easy as hell to pirate. You can fit the whole damn game collection on a few DVDs. the Flash cards are cheap and easy to use. No to mention that Windows is pirated up the ass and I don't see Microsoft dying anytime soon.........

So basically you idiots who are saying that the PS3 is dead because of this..... yeah ..... just... plain... retards.....

The thing that will kill the ps3 if it does die are the lack of games.

[quote name='Zoglog']So basically you idiots who are saying that the PS3 is dead because of this..... yeah ..... just... plain... retards.....[/quote]The difference between the DS, or Windows, is that there's a large enough user base that you've got plenty of folks who won't pirate games to offset the putzs that do. If piracy like this always requires a mod chip, it'll be a concern for a company but never a huge issue. But, if it gets streamlined like on the Dreamcast with selfbooting discs ripped down to fit on a DualLayer DVD (which, until games actually start using that BluRay space rather than just using it for filler or duplicating files for shorter load times is not going to be an issue at all) then there's serious problems. If anyone that can figure out a torrent can get games for free, there's gonna be hell.

The main issue is that for developers and publishers, the stakes are so much higher than for an OS, a little DS game, or even last gen games. Having to sell 500,000 copies of a game to see any profit, and having even a small percentage of a 2 million or so install base pirating the games is big-time trouble.

Obviously, this hinges on it being streamlined and easy. But if it does turn that way, there's more dark clouds in the PS3's future. Calling people "retards" because they feel software piracy is a concern for the vitality of the system only betrays your affinity for playing the role of the pot.

[quote name='help1']Or the people who make the isos cut out the crap, just like tehy did to make the games fit on CDs.[/QUOTE]

Was just thinking this. Xbox has rips all over (lots of extra files), PS1/2 games had extra space that was removable, and PSP games are compressable (cso/dax). Still, PS3 games can be up to, what, 20 gigs, more? I don't know how much compression one could do with that, or how feasible it would be, since you can't really back up data like that to DVD's easily (too many discs floating around).

Interesting that they may have done it already though.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Was just thinking this. Xbox has rips all over (lots of extra files), PS1/2 games had extra space that was removable, and PSP games are compressable (cso/dax). Still, PS3 games can be up to, what, 20 gigs, more? I don't know how much compression one could do with that, or how feasible it would be, since you can't really back up data like that to DVD's easily (too many discs floating around).

Interesting that they may have done it already though.[/QUOTE]

While I can't recall what title is doing this, some game(s?) are repeating the data on the BR disc in order to make it more accessible. It compensates for both the read speed of the BR drive and also artificially bulks up the size of the disc without adding in garbage. I wonder how that might become circumvented.

Really, if you're talking about 20GB/30GB disk images ultimately, then it's completely moot, at least until hdd prices start to drop considerably and 250GB drives are cheap.

[quote name='guyver2077']wow nice..
ps3 might be a worth purchase after all[/QUOTE]
I concur.
I have been HDloading through the memcard exploit for years now. Be nice to do the same with the PS3.

I don't think this will kill anything, it may actually SELL more consoles. I mean people buy the XBOX just to mod it. Can't you even copy games on an XBOX with a software install? (not sure as I don't have a modded system)

[quote name='doubledown']I don't think this will kill anything, it may actually SELL more consoles. I mean people buy the XBOX just to mod it. Can't you even copy games on an XBOX with a software install? (not sure as I don't have a modded system)[/QUOTE]

I can. Put a game in, click a button, its burns right to the HD. 10 minutes later there it is running better then on the CD.

I don't think this is going to be an issue. We are all pretty serious gamers here, and that's why we know about hacking systems. How much of the market is made up of people like us? I bet it isn't enough to make a strong difference in the market. I own modded systems. The PS2 and Xbox were just to easy not to. But how many of the 100+ million PS2's do you think are modded? And how many of the 25+ million xbox's? I'll bet it's a small percentage.
With the 360 and PS3 still being pretty expensive, how many people are going to take the risk of screwing it up by modding it? I know you can buy already modded 360's, but how many average gamers buy them. The mod for the 360 isn't exactly easy, plus didn't M$ give and update that bricked the modded 360s anyways? No matter what technology comes are way someone going to hack it. The more someone says it's unhackable, the harder people are going to try and do it.

[quote name='doubledown']I don't think this will kill anything, it may actually SELL more consoles. I mean people buy the XBOX just to mod it. Can't you even copy games on an XBOX with a software install? (not sure as I don't have a modded system)[/QUOTE]

There's a program that you can install to the modded dashboard that lets you do this. it comes standard with a mod job. There are lots of programs. I sold mine to a guy who didn't play games, he just wanted to use it as a media center--there's a program that lets you stream and play any file type.

If you mean a software mod, I think you can do that to. Certain games have exploits that can be used somehow (I have no idea about that, as I got a hardware mod.)

[quote name='sonicfreak5']shes not releasing it anyway,these videos were only to show that its possible[/quote]
Paradox has just released a vid of their V2 build of this . They will most likely let a beta out to public.

[quote name='mykevermin']While I can't recall what title is doing this, some game(s?) are repeating the data on the BR disc in order to make it more accessible. It compensates for both the read speed of the BR drive and also artificially bulks up the size of the disc without adding in garbage. I wonder how that might become circumvented.

Really, if you're talking about 20GB/30GB disk images ultimately, then it's completely moot, at least until hdd prices start to drop considerably and 250GB drives are cheap.[/QUOTE]

I know the PS3 Oblivion port is in that category; there may be others.

bread's done
Back