Rumor- "PlayStation 4 in 18 months"

[quote name='Enuf']not too surprising considering where we are in PS3 life cycle(5 yrs in) still would be consistant with PS3 10 yr life cycle support. Rumor for now but lotta smoke.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/239469/could_the_ps4_really_be_on_the_way.html?tk=out

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Sony-Says-PS4-Arrive-Devs-Max-Out-PS3-34459.html

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/118/1180451p1.html

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/05/ps4-production-to-begin-later-this-year/?m=false[/QUOTE]

Believe it when I see it. ;)

There's no way Sony would release the PS4 in the same year they release the PSV. My bet is 2013 at the earliest, but more likely 2014. Sony said they learned from their mistakes when they launched the PS3 and PSP too close together.

[quote name='SynGamer']There's no way Sony would release the PS4 in the same year they release the PSV. My bet is 2013 at the earliest, but more likely 2014. Sony said they learned from their mistakes when they launched the PS3 and PSP too close together.[/QUOTE]PSVita comes out this yr at least in some territories & 1st qtr 2012 everywhere. 18 months from now is March 2013 so if they have it ready for a 2013 E3 showing & release it Nov. 2013 that seems bout right. PS3 came out in what 2006 so 7 yrs later PS4. At that point PS3 would be $150-$170 & PSVita $200ish.

I think it would be more plausable for it to be revealed in 18 months. It seems like Sony is putting a lot of effort into the PS3 (unlike MS and Ninendo, who basically abandon their consoles as soon as the next iteration shows up) for them to reveal a new console to be released any time soon.

I have no doubt that both Microsoft and Sony will unveil their next console in 2012.

I also bet that Kinect and PlayStation move support will be compatible and supported as alternate control schemes.

I just don't see the point yet, other than to crush the WiiU moment. The ps3 has a bluray player, 3D, and 1080p and the majority of games don't take advantage of latter two. Heck I only know two people with a 3D TV.

Granted, I think we're at least 2 years from seeing the ps4, buy Without a big jump in tech, I don't see why consumers would rush out for one.

[quote name='SynGamer']There's no way Sony would release the PS4 in the same year they release the PSV. My bet is 2013 at the earliest, but more likely 2014. Sony said they learned from their mistakes when they launched the PS3 and PSP too close together.[/QUOTE]

There was an interview with a Japanese Sony executive (I think on Gamasutra), and one reason they said the PSP had such a bad start post-launch was because too much resources were moved from PSP development to the PS3. Sony is committed to not repeating that mistake, and given the current economic situation focused on value propositions, I don't see the next PS3 until holiday 2013.

I tend to think this rumor is probably true. The master key to the PS3 is floating around the internet. The only way to combat that is to take what they've learned and place it in a new, locked system. I'm ok with a new console in 18 months.

[quote name='Ecofreak']There was an interview with a Japanese Sony executive (I think on Gamasutra), and one reason they said the PSP had such a bad start post-launch was because too much resources were moved from PSP development to the PS3. Sony is committed to not repeating that mistake, and given the current economic situation focused on value propositions, I don't see the next PS3 until holiday 2013.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I knew I read somewhere that Sony wouldn't make the same mistake. :)

[quote name='zenprime']PS4 actually development begins in 18 months more likely.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, ^this most likely.

[quote name='zenprime']PS4 actually development begins in 18 months more likely.[/QUOTE]

Not at all. Companies usually start working on new consoles right after they launch their new one. So, I could see this being released in 18 months.

Can't wait for E3. 2012
Is it in June or may

Last edited:
Sony is getting everything right with the Vita, so I'm excited to see what they have going for the PS4. I think we will definitely see it within 18 months. That whole 10 year cycle just means that the PS3 is going to be supported for ten years. It will be like when the PS2 was still receiving solid Japanese support like Persona 4, as well as more casual games like Singstar. The PS4 will and PS3 will offer an upper and lower scale price/entertainment experience for customers for a few years.

I think that Sony is really stepping back to try to determine what the heck is going on with the console market (especially in Japan). The PSP is still routinely selling 30K+ each week over there, and the country as a whole seems to be moving towards mobile gaming. I think how well the Vita/PS3 combo does will really determine how quickly they bring another console to market.

In terms of reacting to Wii U, I think 8BitArtist is right in saying that there probably isn't much overlap in the WiiU/PS3 market. The majority of Sony fans probably dismissed Nintendo long ago and aren't looking to hop back on their bandwagon. The Xbox brand is only a threat in North America and Xbox/PS3 are pretty much neck-and-neck in worldwide sales, so that isn't going to spur them on either.

I really think Sony is going to ride out the PS3 for at least one more Christmas. I'd expect maybe a teaser for the PS4 at E3 2012 or TGS 2012, and then a full reveal/pricing at E3 2013 for a holiday 2013 release (pretty much what Ecofreak said).

WiiU already has Dragon Quest X, so that's a known next-gen quantity that isn't going to change their strategy either.

Eh, I'm ready for a PS4. I want native 1080p and 60 fps on all games. So frankly, if it's 18 months away, that's great. If it's just a rumor, that's OK too since i have such a huge backlog now. Either way, I'm covered.

bread's done
Back