Rumor that next Xbox won't play used games

Edit -> Go Advanced

You can change the title that way.

Alternately, I think you can double click beside the title of your own thread to change it.

Anyway, all I've really got to say about the story itself is, well... "Clever girl".

E'rybody is trying to control distribution these days. I could see this going through.

I don't even buy used games very often at all but I sure as hell trade/sell my old games to afford new ones.

This is very bad news if true.

Are they able to do this even if the system is not connected to the internet?
CD keys can be easily generated, unless XBOX720 can burn a hole in the discs.

I don't believe this.

I'm not exasperated, I just literally don't believe it.

Like the guy above me said, how would they manage this if the console is not connected to the internet? I also don't think MS wants to kill their console sails with this nonsense. I own Wii, PS3 and 360. I have 80+ games for the 360, and around 20 for both the Wii and the PS3. If this change happens, I will never buy another Microsoft system again. I buy tons of new games too, so they get plenty of profit from me.

For all we know, they might just see the eternally-offline gamer as a customer they're willing to lose. They don't buy DLC, don't pay for XBL, can't see their Ads, are immune to the online-pass shenanigans, and if microtransactions take off, they wont be able to buy those either.

Or they could just include kiosks in major retailers to allow gamers to link a CD-Key to their account via a memory card or something.

Or maybe they include some kind of proprietary doodad with each game that creates a permanent link between a game and an account.

If Microsoft really wanted a console that could kill used games, I have no doubt that they could do it. If they should do it is another matter. The idealist in me thinks no used games means all games become more evergreen and allows them to play around with pricepoints more. The realist in me expects no such thing to occur.

New games drop in price pretty fast nowadays, and older games are getting re-released -- i feel like the used game market is something they'd want to look into destroying, from a business stand point, anyways. Won't effect me too heavily.

[quote name='Salamando3000']For all we know, they might just see the eternally-offline gamer as a customer they're willing to lose. They don't buy DLC, don't pay for XBL, can't see their Ads, are immune to the online-pass shenanigans, and if microtransactions take off, they wont be able to buy those either.[/QUOTE]
Boom goes the dynamite. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for all console manufacturers.

For now this is just an old rumor that's been dug up again, but even if it does turn out to be true I'm not too concerned. I find myself playing consoles less and less since building a gaming PC. Plus like someone else pointed out, new games price fall so quick these days that it isn't that big of a deal. People will just become more aware of what they purchase like we used to back before the Gamestops of the world.

Here is a link to the original rumor about the PS3 not playing used games from 2005

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/11/08/playstation-3-wont-play-used-games/

This will truly suck if it indeed happens. Almost every game I purchase is used. The ONLY time I buy new is if I can get it for cheaper than used and possibly if it has an online pass type of thing.

Well, one sure fire way of not being able to play used games would be digital distribution. That topic has been brought up a few times with the possibility of consoles going that route. I don't like it at all. Will it prevent me from sitting out from console gaming? Probably not.

As much as I'd love to see GS crash and burn over this, I don't think it's politically viable for MS to make such a move. Especially with so many major retailers now getting into used game sales, cutting that revenue stream off like that would cause the retailers to revolt, and the console manufacturer couldn't handle that kind of backlash since they are dependent on the retailers to move their consoles.

Unpopular with retailers and consumers, aye.

But it could be super popular with publishers, and if I was a console manufacturer, I'd rather have the support of Activision and EA than Gamestop and Best Buy.

Problems I see coming out of this right off the bat:
1. If you link your games to specific accounts, how many parents are going to jump ship because their kids each have to have their own 60$ copy of Kung Fu Panda or Lego Star Wars?

2. If you link your games to your console instead, what happens when your console RRODs? (for lack of a better term.. you can't tell me that 720 is going to have perfect hardware at launch.) I don't see Microsoft being willing to eat 1000's of $$ worth of new copies of games because they have to send you a refurbished console.

I highly doubt this will be the case, because there are many other issues that could come out of them refusing to let someone use 'used' games. I wouldn't worry.

[quote name='Specter Fate']Problems I see coming out of this right off the bat:
1. If you link your games to specific accounts, how many parents are going to jump ship because their kids each have to have their own 60$ copy of Kung Fu Panda or Lego Star Wars?

2. If you link your games to your console instead, what happens when your console RRODs? (for lack of a better term.. you can't tell me that 720 is going to have perfect hardware at launch.) I don't see Microsoft being willing to eat 1000's of $$ worth of new copies of games because they have to send you a refurbished console.

I highly doubt this will be the case, because there are many other issues that could come out of them refusing to let someone use 'used' games. I wouldn't worry.[/QUOTE]

Then there is the case where kids bring their games over to other people's houses to play them with friends. I know my son does that a lot.

This is a whole lot of stupid, and if it happens universally, it will probably chase me from the console market.

So Microsoft thinks people are saying, "Aw man. I'd buy an XBOX 360, but gosh darn it, it doesn't play Blu-Rays, so no money for you Microsoft"? Somehow I get the feeling that's not what's really holding people back from buying it.

As for used games, kids giving a disc to a friend to try can lead to a sale. Without this, there'd be no second sale. Sounds like a good way to get out of the video game business to me. Microsoft certainly won't be making money without used games.

I think they are more concerned with dad walking into gamestop and grabbing a $60 title new, and bringing it to the clerk who easily talks him into buying it for $55 used. That's a lost sale, cut and dry.

Kids sharing games can potentially be it's own form of marketing, but it seems you have to throw that assumption around carefully. It's pretty much seen as the same thing as pirating to developers, maybe worse.

Personally, if this happens, I would be more inclinded to hold OFF on release day purchases knowing that I wouldn't be able to get even a little $$ back via trade-in or value in trading/borrowing to friends. I don't play online very often - I can wait until any paticular title is down to half price.

[quote name='The Crotch']Unpopular with retailers and consumers, aye.

But it could be super popular with publishers, and if I was a console manufacturer, I'd rather have the support of Activision and EA than Gamestop and Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget though, the publishers are just as dependent on the retailers as the console manufacturers to move their product. Unless they're willing to go all-out on a digital delivery only system, the retailers still hold considerable sway in the power struggle of the industry. All-digital is the only viable option to fully get rid of used sales. Look at Steam, and also look at how small the PC games sections of retail stores are nowadays.

Again I don't like it any more than you do, but the fact of the matter is that GS holds a pretty powerful position with game publishers and console manufacturers, since they sell an enormous amount of product to the consumers.

And what would Gamestop do? Not sell Call of Duty? Not sell Madden?

Not saying there wouldn't be gambling involved. Just saying that the dice would be weighted in Microsoft's favour.

I personally would still just wait until the games are $20. I don't care if they're new or used.

I imagine if this did come to pass ANONYMOUS or someone else would just work overtime to hack it to play used games, and they'd have modding much more rampant than before.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd much rather be able to play used games than play online. I don't even subscribe to XBOX Live.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I think they are more concerned with dad walking into gamestop and grabbing a $60 title new, and bringing it to the clerk who easily talks him into buying it for $55 used. That's a lost sale, cut and dry.
[/QUOTE]

The part that you're forgetting is that somebody had to trade in that game in the first place. If people can't sell their used games, they won't be able to afford as many new ones.

[quote name='The Crotch']And what would Gamestop do? Not sell Call of Duty? Not sell Madden?[/QUOTE]

That's correct, though the reason would be that they would go out of business. I don't think Gamestop can stay in business relying only on new sales.

It may not happen at the start of next generation, but anyone who doesn't think that gaming will be all digital soon is fooling themselves.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']It may not happen at the start of next generation, but anyone who doesn't think that gaming will be all digital soon is fooling themselves.[/QUOTE]
Double truth.

And it could be good. It could be terrible. It'll probably be some uncomfortable amalgamation of the two. But it's definitely coming.

And Nintendo will probably fuck it up completely.

I don't think this is going to be what everyone thinks it is going to be. If they actually implement some system that makes a game disc unusable once played one time on one console people are going to go batshit. "This game will self destruct in 10 seconds!" No way.

[quote name='Javery']I don't think this is going to be what everyone thinks it is going to be. If they actually implement some system that makes a game disc unusable once played one time on one console people are going to go batshit. "This game will self destruct in 10 seconds!" No way.[/QUOTE]

I think they are going to look into having 1 time use codes for single player as well as multiplayer. You will be able to buy used but you will have to buy a code from the developer before you play.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I think they are going to look into having 1 time use codes for single player as well as multiplayer. You will be able to buy used but you will have to buy a code from the developer before you play.[/QUOTE]

I could see that happening. It's basically the online pass taken to the logical extreme.

What I wouldn't mind seeing is a STEAM type of system for consoles. Digital distribution can be good for both sides if it's done right.

[quote name='The Crotch']And what would Gamestop do? Not sell Call of Duty? Not sell Madden?

Not saying there wouldn't be gambling involved. Just saying that the dice would be weighted in Microsoft's favour.[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure of that. You discount how heavily the publishers rely on retail to sell the products to the end user. IF there were a widespread refusal of retailers from selling titles for the xbox 720, it'd be DOA. Think about AO or 18+ rated games. Basically no retailer is willing to sell them, therefore no publisher is willing to make them, because although there is nobody stopping publishers from selling AO/18+ games via other distribution channels, it would not be profitable owing to low volume.

Take GTA for example. It was rated M but then the hot coffee thing happened and it got a temporary AO rating. That instantly brought it off the store shelves, and Rockstar was forced to stop manufacturing the game, fix it, and re-press a whole new batch of disks, all for a piece of code nobody would really see anyways but that got the game the tainted "AO" rating. Without retailer support a game has zero chance in the marketplace.

I think each side has a pretty strong hold over the other, and the stakes are too high on both sides for anybody to really rock the boat with a bomb like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JaylisJayP']I personally would still just wait until the games are $20. I don't care if they're new or used.

I imagine if this did come to pass ANONYMOUS or someone else would just work overtime to hack it to play used games, and they'd have modding much more rampant than before.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd much rather be able to play used games than play online. I don't even subscribe to XBOX Live.[/QUOTE]
If they did do this, I'm pretty sure it will be hacked pretty quick. And once Microsoft forced a healthy portion of legit players to used hacked consoles, the temptation of ISOs are too big:cool:

I'm so torn.

On the one hand, even if I don't buy many used games, or frequently sell off my games once I've played through them, I feel for people who do.

On the other hand, Gamestop is a pretty shitty place that I think could use a good boot to the head.

[quote name='Ruahrc']I'm not so sure of that. You discount how heavily the publishers rely on retail to sell the products to the end user. IF there were a widespread refusal of retailers from selling titles for the xbox 720, it'd be DOA. Think about AO or 18+ rated games. Basically no retailer is willing to sell them, therefore no publisher is willing to make them, because although there is nobody stopping publishers from selling AO/18+ games via other distribution channels, it would not be profitable owing to low volume.

Take GTA for example. It was rated M but then the hot coffee thing happened and it got a temporary AO rating. That instantly brought it off the store shelves, and Rockstar was forced to stop manufacturing the game, fix it, and re-press a whole new batch of disks, all for a piece of code nobody would really see anyways but that got the game the tainted "AO" rating. Without retailer support a game has zero chance in the marketplace.

I think each side has a pretty strong hold over the other, and the stakes are too high on both sides for anybody to really rock the boat with a bomb like this.[/QUOTE]

Outside of Best buy B&M store like Target and Walmart will not care about used game. Microsoft also have way more leverage than Rockstar. Microsoft can threaten to pull other products.

I don't think MS is going to do this... even as a rumor, there's already a huge backlash. I'm guessing it's more likely that they'll make it mandatory for every game to have an online pass of some sort (just like they made 720p mandatory for all 360 games).

well if this happens I will not guy a new xbox, ill get another ps3 and game with my husband that way. sometimes when it comes to campaign games we get one copy and split screen, or play after the other has beat it on different consoles... Also we have the blockbuster game rental plan, and use redbox for certain games we plan on playing but not keeping. I guess we'll have to wait and see :p

When it comes to games we want to play online (MW/COD Gears, Halo, GTA, Saints row etc) We always buy them new, that's not the problem...

[quote name='62t']Outside of Best buy B&M store like Target and Walmart will not care about used game. Microsoft also have way more leverage than Rockstar. Microsoft can threaten to pull other products.[/QUOTE]
Yep. And besides, all publishers could get behind this. One major game from Take-Two that had already been out for months (I think; memory fuzzy) is one thing. But killing used games? That's something damn near every publisher can get behind. What, is Gamestop gonna not sell everything?

I really, really don't see this happening for a couple reasons:

1. Potentially locking out millions of customers that don't yet have always-on internet access(this ain't gonna get much better until the U.S.'s entire infrastructure gets an upgrade.)

2. Console owners, unlike PC ones, have a far shorter tolerance for fumbling around with non-working cd-keys and the like. (I can forsee a lot of Little Timmy's Christmases being ruined over an 0 that looks like an O)

3. Why bother with such drastic measures anyway when this coming generation will most likely be the last one to implement physical media? Wait five years and the "used problem" fixes itself.

That being said, if they do indeed try to pull this bullshit, I'll once again have a modded console, something that I haven't been able to say since I was a broke kid with a Dreamcast. Piracy sucks but I'll buy used games when I damn well feel like it.

[quote name='TooPoor']Are they able to do this even if the system is not connected to the internet?
CD keys can be easily generated, unless XBOX720 can burn a hole in the discs.[/QUOTE]

DVD burners are quite cheap, all you need to do is sell disks with a small burnable section that gets hit the first time the disk gets loaded either with a unique burn for that system or even cheaper a CD key for game X is installed only from un-burned disks, rendering the disk useless to others.

Although just forcing everyone using xbox to purchase new games would probably be anti-used games enough.

[quote name='ihadFG']The part that you're forgetting is that somebody had to trade in that game in the first place. If people can't sell their used games, they won't be able to afford as many new ones.[/QUOTE]

They could use that trade in money in a lot of ways unrelated to the publisher's interest.

The bottom line they see is that people are willing to pay money for their product, but are paying for the used version. If the used game market is somehow destroyed (which it probably won't be), I'd imagine they have a plan to go along with it so we just aren't left here with $60 titles that remain $60 for years.

Maybe everything will go digital. And I wouldn't mind if everything was new, digital, and competitively priced as Steam, GoG, and other services are. New games drop fast enough these days that I don't bother looking at used very often unless a promotional code applies to the purchase.

[quote name='panzerfaust']
Maybe everything will go digital. And I wouldn't mind if everything was new, digital, and competitively priced as Steam...[/QUOTE]
How I wish that would be true, the prices of PSN full games now is extremely disappointing.

[quote name='panzerfaust']They could use that trade in money in a lot of ways unrelated to the publisher's interest.

The bottom line they see is that people are willing to pay money for their product, but are paying for the used version. If the used game market is somehow destroyed (which it probably won't be), I'd imagine they have a plan to go along with it so we just aren't left here with $60 titles that remain $60 for years.

Maybe everything will go digital. And I wouldn't mind if everything was new, digital, and competitively priced as Steam, GoG, and other services are. New games drop fast enough these days that I don't bother looking at used very often unless a promotional code applies to the purchase.[/QUOTE]

If new console games dropped in price as fast and had as many sales as pc games do on steam that alone would cripple the used game market. I always look at amazement when steam is selling a fairly new game for 20 bucks while the console version might go on "sale" at Best Buy for 50...plus tax.

Im happy to buy new but im not getting ripped off. There are maybe...maybe a handful of games a year actually worth 60. If they think gamers are going to just cave and start buying every duke nukem thats released for $60 theyre fucking crazy.

And one thing i do love about buying used at gamestop ia u can just return the game if it sucks. I HATE the idea of buying new and finding out i personally dont like the game, which can still happen even after reading reviews and watching gameplay. If they do go to new games only, they better really step up their demo output.

cyborg, was wondering if anyone remembered the PS3 rumors. I'm sure these rumors are intentionally leaked to get consumer response.

Its a very risky move, and as the article states, cutting off the used game market could mean big profits. The problem however would be Sony or Nintendo marketing against it. Having the ability to purchase cheaper used games on one console vs the other would be a significant factor for console purchases.

bread's done
Back