Rumor: Wii on November 19th???

marten

CAGiversary!
Feedback
42 (100%)
Yeah, so I was too tired to bother hunting in the "Wheeeeeeeeeeee" forum to see if anyone else had heard/posted this...

Went in to grab my Heroes V a few days ago, and someone at the register (probably one of those uninformed morons) told the guy in front of me that the Wii was slated for launch on the 19th.

I found this highly amusing, just for the fact that Nintendo would have a literal field day if they planned this for 2 days after the PS3 launch. Could you imagine how many people would say "fuck the PS3 and its 600 dollar price tag, I can get a Wii and a few games for half that."

Any Gamestop/EB employees care to shed some light on this? I think I already know the answer (it's bullshit IMO), but I'd like to hear it from someone else ;)

I doubt some guy at the register would know about this, so you're right it's probably bullshit. But now that I think about it, it would be a great strategy to release it at around the same time as the PS3 right before the holiday season starts. Even though I personally think the Wii is about as powerful as the original Xbox, all those people looking for holiday gifts who won't really know the difference between the Wii and the PS3 may just pick up the Wii.

When else could it launch besides then, they said before Thanksgiving right? It would have to be right before Sony's launch I guess. And the whole screw the $600 thing, it would be better before the PS3 launch than 2 days after it. 2 days before would make more sense, since I'd be tempted to buy something that's already out than waiting.

November is way too close to the holiday season - I'd imagine Nintendo launching it in early October to create as much momentum into December. 'Cause as we all know, the Wii is a system that needs to have some real "Hands On" time to convince pretty much everyone of its potential worth.

the cube and the ds came late in the holiday season so i wouldnt be suprised. i havent been to work the last two days, so im not sure if this info came in the emails or if he is just going off some net rumor

October is the newest rumour going around. The guy is just a dumbass.

Doesn't matter Nintendo still hasn't gotten it's head out of it's ass and will not make anywhere close to enough for launch.

They need to get it out before the PS3 so that no one draws comparisons between the Wiimote and the Dualcockrocker.

I can only imagine this guy is basing it on the last release pattern.

I have heard the October rumors, which I think is an odd time for release. I really wish they could keep up the September thing, given that it's my birthday, and the SNES on SEpt. 9 was a small glimpse of heaven (replicated by the DC several years later).

I remember the excitement back in 2001 when the Gamecube and the Xbox launched within a few days of each other. I don't picture that happening this year. I think Nintendo will opt for an October date because, like others have mentioned, they are offering an entirely new experience and need plenty of time to gain momentum before the holidays.

[quote name='Ecofreak']November is way too close to the holiday season - I'd imagine Nintendo launching it in early October to create as much momentum into December. 'Cause as we all know, the Wii is a system that needs to have some real "Hands On" time to convince pretty much everyone of its potential worth.[/QUOTE]

That, plus if they sell out they will want to ship a second batch to restock the shelves for the Christmas shoppers. Let the gamers buy it in October. Then restock the shelves for the parents at Christmas.

[quote name='basketkase543']I remember the excitement back in 2001 when the Gamecube and the Xbox launched within a few days of each other. I don't picture that happening this year. I think Nintendo will opt for an October date because, like others have mentioned, they are offering an entirely new experience and need plenty of time to gain momentum before the holidays.[/QUOTE]

I think you hit the nail on the head. Nintendo got the mainstream buzz started a little bit with the Time magazine article. But what they need to do is walk that Wii across the street to the Today Show and set-up a mini-E3 demo area at Rockefeller Center in early fall to make sure parents know what the hot toy is going to be for Christmas. I really don't care if the Wii skews younger than the 360 and PS3 - they just need to build as big an installed base as possible as quickly as possible so that the system can't be ignored by the heavyweight 3rd parties. I think it's safe to say the Wii will got off to a fantastic start in Japan; hopefully that can carry over to the US and Europe.

Nintendo has never launched either on time or early. October is out of the question. Completely out of the question. Developers will take as much as possible to finish up the software. This thing is coming out somewhere between the beginning of November and Thanksgiving. Count on it. We all know that the launch month is november, we just dont have an official day and I think we'll get one soon but it's not like it really matters. The pricing of the system, games, accessories, and VC titles is the most important information we havent gotten from nintendo.

[quote name='gforce007']Nintendo has never launched either on time or early. October is out of the question. Completely out of the question. Developers will take as much as possible to finish up the software. This thing is coming out somewhere between the beginning of November and Thanksgiving. Count on it. We all know that the launch month is november, we just dont have an official day and I think we'll get one soon but it's not like it really matters. The pricing of the system, games, accessories, and VC titles is the most important information we havent gotten from nintendo.[/QUOTE]
That would imply that we know what "on time" is. All they've said all along was Q4 2006. They could have been thinking September when they first announced it, so they could be "late" and release it in October. I don't think that is the case, but we really have no idea.

the sooner the better, I know Msoft said they arent planning to do this, but price drop could really hurt the Wii too. I am sure that is why they are keeping the hush hush on the price and release date.

If the system does ship as early as October or November, Nintendo are not telling us a lot of things that have been finilized for a while. I do not know what the standard waits on the manufacturing process, but considering that the are still saying that the Wii-mote is not final, the CPU isn't final, and the ATI gfx card isn't final, they are either lying and are holding the info secret for whatever reason, or they are actually mad behind, and their only "lie" is that we will be playing with our Wiis Q4 2006.

I hope they get it out the door by October. They need to ship before sony. I'll be there on day one. I haven't been this excited for november since Halo 2.

Seems like it could be reasonable. A quick look on Wikipedia shows that the GC launched on Nov 18, 2001 and the DS on Nov 21, 2004, both of which were the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

[quote name='rickc25']Seems like it could be reasonable. A quick look on Wikipedia shows that the GC launched on Nov 18, 2001 and the DS on Nov 21, 2004, both of which were the Sunday before Thanksgiving.[/QUOTE]

Someone should slap me for doubting Wiki, but wasn't it Nov 5th or 8th? I could have sworn that the XBox launched within a few days.

On topic... I'd shoot for a late October release date, but I'm weary about their worldwide launch idea. Might set them back a bit.

[quote name='chargeup45']Someone should slap me for doubting Wiki, but wasn't it Nov 5th or 8th? I could have sworn that the XBox launched within a few days.[/QUOTE]

It did, on Nov 15, 2001.

bread's done
Back