Rumor: WiiConnect24 breaking Wiis?

Wow, people still think that the WC24 is causing problems? I don't doubt that there may be issues out there, but WC24 doesn't make everyone's console heat up to the boiling point of plastic. Mine's been on for week and is barely warm to the touch.

Perhaps stand-by heat is causing problems on some systems, but it would seem far more likely to be deficines with that particular system rather the WC24 service as a whole.

My current system's had it on for 5 months now and works perfectly.

[quote name='daroga']Wow, people still think that the WC24 is causing problems? I don't doubt that there may be issues out there, but WC24 doesn't make everyone's console heat up to the boiling point of plastic. Mine's been on for week and is barely warm to the touch.

Perhaps stand-by heat is causing problems on some systems, but it would seem far more likely to be deficines with that particular system rather the WC24 service as a whole.

My current system's had it on for 5 months now and works perfectly.[/quote]There is no heat with standby.

[quote name='dallow']There is no heat with standby.[/quote]Yeah-HUH!

It may not be Nintendo's terminology, but in my mind, standby=orange light, off=red light.

The point still stands.

[quote name='dallow']
Enlighten us![/QUOTE]

You can lead a horse to water ...

[quote name='snipegod']Yes, everybody does have it backwards.

You can't even enable standby mode when WiiConnect24 is off. You can have WiiConnect24 on and standby off, however.[/QUOTE]

WiiConnect24 + Standby = orange light when powered down.
WiiConnect24 only = red light when powered down.
Standby only = does not exist, you Epsilon semi-morons.

Having standby on, having the orange light on, is what causes the heat. Whether this actually has an effect -- either to cause a defective GPU or worsen an already defective GPU -- I don't know.

Ok then, I stand by what I wrote.
The only reason to have the system in standby mode is for WiiConnect24.

I just interchange both terms (standby & WiiConnect24) since they're nothing without the other as the point is to get online updates when the machine is not in use.

I keep my system in off (redlight mode) then.
No reason to keep it warm.

[quote name='daroga']If the red light is on, regardless of whether WC24 is enabled in the software, it is not active.[/QUOTE]

If the red light is on, standby mode is not active. This is easily agreeable.

From my understanding, if you only have WiiConnect24 enabled (thereby getting a red light on power down), it will automatically connect to the web when your Wii is powered on. As opposed to WiiConnect24 being off (thereby having standby on being impossible) and still getting a red light on power down, your Wii will only connect to the internet when prompted -- such as entering the Everybody Votes Channel, the Internet Channel, etc.

Correct me if wrong, but it doesn't make sense that having WiiConnect24 off and having WiiConnect24 on without Standby mode on being the same thing.

Edit: And the third option, since Dallow asked above, would be WiiConnect24 on and Standby mode on (orange light). Your Wii will connect to the internet when powered down to the orange standby light to update itself concerning messages from Nintendo, Wii friends, and ... that's it? Someone fill me in if standby pre-downloads updates to firmware or anything else ... but I don't believe it does.

[quote name='snipegod']Edit: And the third option, since Dallow asked above, would be WiiConnect24 on and Standby mode on (orange light). Your Wii will connect to the internet when powered down to the orange standby light to update itself concerning messages from Nintendo, Wii friends, and ... that's it? Someone fill me in if standby pre-downloads updates to firmware or anything else ... but I don't believe it does.[/quote]It only gets message updates (and certain channel info), it won't pre-download anything without your approval.

To clarify, this is how my system is now setup.

WiiConnect24 on.
Standby off.

I will want it to get message updates (plus weather/news info) while I'm using the system.

I think that's the whole problem ... people are using standby and Wiiconnect24 to mean the same thing. They're not. They're two different setting options.

To illustrate: I just turned WiiConnect24 off (so, standby is also off ... you can't have standby on and WiiConnect24 off) and tried to go into any channel using the internet; you get an error message saying WiiConnect24 is not enabled. You can't even connect to the internet without WiiConnect24 on.

WiiConnect24 on = internet enabled.
WiiConnect24 off = internet disabled.
Standby on = internet checks when the system is off -- when the fans are not running -- creating heat.

They do need to release a firmware update to make the fans run whenever standby checks into the 'net for updates in order to decrease the heat generated. I've had standby on since launch, and the system does get very hot.

[quote name='snipegod']I think that's the whole problem ... people are using standby and Wiiconnect24 to mean the same thing. They're not. They're two different setting options.

To illustrate: I just turned WiiConnect24 off (so, standby is also off ... you can't have standby on and WiiConnect24 off) and tried to go into any channel using the internet; you get an error message saying WiiConnect24 is not enabled. You can't even connect to the internet without WiiConnect24 on.

WiiConnect24 on = internet enabled.
WiiConnect24 off = internet disabled.
Standby on = internet checks when the system is off -- when the fans are not running -- creating heat.

They do need to release a firmware update to make the fans run whenever standby checks into the 'net for updates in order to decrease the heat generated. I've had standby on since launch, and the system does get very hot.[/quote]Yes, you have stated everything perfectly there.

Ah, ok, I think I've got a better understanding of everything. I might swich standby to off on mine. It's not like it's doing anyything while off at the moment anyway.

[quote name='dallow']
WiiConnect24 on.
Standby off.

I will want it to get message updates (plus weather/news info) while I'm using the system.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's how I have mine set and for the same reason. That way it's not getting hot or wasting electric when it's just gathering dust, yet it can still update the stuff while I'm playing a game so I can check the weather or whatever when I'm done if I get the urge (which is seldom--would rather just get on the internet on my PC or laptop).

I never turn it on just to check the news, whether, messages etc., so it's a useless feature for me at this point.

I don't have a great way to measure the temperature of the Wii but I took a couple readings from the side of the Wii using my kid's temporal thermometer and the readings came back like this:

WiiConnect24 On/Standby On - 105 degrees
WiiConnect24 On/Wii Powered on - 94 degrees
Wii Off (Same as Standby Off) - 80 degrees

While I don't think 105 degrees is going to mess up a normally functioning Wii, I can see other variables adding to that heat. Anyone who has their Wii in an enclosed component cabinet, jammed up against other consoles, sitting on other electronics, etc., could be inviting problems.

Even though I don't think the heat generated by having WiiCoonnect24 on in standby mode is going to cause an issue for most people, I'm going to turn the standby option off as well. Like everyone else said, it's not used for much so what's the point?

Maybe when Animal Crossing Wii comes out...

Just a heads up, that the information some people are giving here is wrong.

If you turn off Standby and leave WC24 on, it still disables the Weather Channel, etc. I guess we can't have our cake and eat it too?

[quote name='daroga']Just a heads up, that the information some people are giving here is wrong.

If you turn off Standby and leave WC24 on, it still disables the Weather Channel, etc. I guess we can't have our cake and eat it too?[/quote]

Not quite.

It just doesn't have the 'instant info'.
You can still use the weather channel, it just to update, rather than update all the time while in standby.

I can live with that.

Yep, it just has to update when you connect, which is fine. Especially since I think the weather and news channels are utterly pointless anyway.

Much quicker to flip to weatherscan on cable, or check online on my PC than log onto the Wii weather which is always several hours outdated anyway. Same with news.

[quote name='dallow']Not quite.

It just doesn't have the 'instant info'.
You can still use the weather channel, it just to update, rather than update all the time while in standby.

I can live with that.[/quote]That would make sense, wouldn't it? But, no. If standby is disabled, the weather and news channels don't work. The voting channel still works though.

[quote name='daroga']That would make sense, wouldn't it? But, no. If standby is disabled, the weather and news channels don't work. The voting channel still works though.[/quote]No way! Hmmm.... I gotta try this out for myself when I get home.

Not sure why I care, seeing as how I don't use either channel, but I still want to see.

[quote name='daroga']That would make sense, wouldn't it? But, no. If standby is disabled, the weather and news channels don't work. The voting channel still works though.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure mine still work. But I rarely check as they're useless so I may be remembering wrong.

But seems like it just had to update, or if I played a game for a while then went to them they were ready to go (assumed Wiconnect updated while I was playing.

[quote name='daroga']That would make sense, wouldn't it? But, no. If standby is disabled, the weather and news channels don't work. The voting channel still works though.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is true, and it's also very stupid on Nintendo's part.

I've had my Wii since launch day, always with WiiConnect24 on. I also live in a dry area of Los Angeles where the temperature nearly always stays in the mid-80s to mid-90s. The console definitely feels warm to the touch but there've been no problems exhibited yet.

[quote name='daroga']That would make sense, wouldn't it? But, no. If standby is disabled, the weather and news channels don't work. The voting channel still works though.[/quote]

Weather and News works for me, I have Standby Connection off and Wii24 on. The Weather/Vote channels are even updated when I click on them.

[quote name='yukine']Weather and News works for me, I have Standby Connection off and Wii24 on. The Weather/Vote channels are even updated when I click on them.[/QUOTE]

You are the exception then. To get weather updates on mine, I have to turn Standby mode back on. It won't work any other way.

Now, I haven't played in at least a few weeks, there might have been an update since then.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']You are the exception then. To get weather updates on mine, I have to turn Standby mode back on. It won't work any other way.

Now, I haven't played in at least a few weeks, there might have been an update since then.[/quote]

Doesn't work for me either and I'm sure there hasn't been any firmware updates recently since I've had WiiConnect24 on up until a few days ago.

I'm running version 2.2U in case anyone else wants to check theirs.

[quote name='lebowsky']Doesn't work for me either and I'm sure there hasn't been any firmware updates recently since I've had WiiConnect24 on up until a few days ago.

I'm running version 2.2U in case anyone else wants to check theirs.[/QUOTE]

I played some WiiSports earlier, and completely forgot to check.

[quote name='yukine']Weather and News works for me, I have Standby Connection off and Wii24 on. The Weather/Vote channels are even updated when I click on them.[/quote]I think you've made an assumption without checking it. Everyone Votes works, weather and news do not. Check your setting and check those channels again.

I had an interesting thing happen to me (twice now) since I decided to turn the power off (red button) completely instead of keeping it in standby (yellow/orange). When I tried to turn the Wii on from the red off mode I got a disk read error. The second time it happened the DRE happened at the Wii menu and I wasn't even selecting the Wii disk.

[quote name='daroga']I think you've made an assumption without checking it. Everyone Votes works, weather and news do not. Check your setting and check those channels again.[/quote]

Weather works, but News doesn't now... weird, since both worked before.

[quote name='yukine']Weather works, but News doesn't now... weird, since both worked before.[/quote]Does weather work all the way into it? Mine still has a local forecast when I kick up the Weather Channel, but when I get into it properly, it gives me the error about WC24.

Maybe Strikers will come with a patch to clean up some of these odd issues?

[quote name='daroga']Does weather work all the way into it? Mine still has a local forecast when I kick up the Weather Channel, but when I get into it properly, it gives me the error about WC24.

Maybe Strikers will come with a patch to clean up some of these odd issues?[/quote]

It would go fully in, but now it says I have to turn it on for both. :lol:

The Wii is one weird piece of hardware.

The first week I had my Wii I noticed it got really hot during stand-by. Ever since then I've always had stand-by disabled. I also unplug the console when I'm not using it.

I also have trouble with the News channel. When I have WC24 disabled, the News channel won't work. I don't use it so I could care less. Just as long as the browser, vote and the shop functions, I'm good.

bread's done
Back