(Rumor) XBL "VIP Membership"

[quote name='Sparta Omni']They just need to do something about that license crap.[/quote]
You get one free license transfer per year and you're supposed to get one with each repair, but I never got the ones with the repair to work and had to use up my freebie.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/default.htm If you need to use your freebie.

As for this whole "VIP" thing, I have two things to say:

1. I highly doubt this is real. There's too much wrong with the site and the information, which other CAG's have pointed out.

2. Why would MS strip Gold privileges if it were real? I can see stripping Silver privilages, since they pay nothing, but us Gold members give them money just to have a gold bar on our gamertag. If they add another tier of service I imagine they'll add stuff to that tier that does not exist on Gold or Silver instead of stripping Gold of features.

P.S. Fatman, you make me laugh and that makes you AOK in my book.

Yeah I know it's a once per year. It's understandable, but a pain. It'd just save a lot of troubles if they lifted it, or changed it a bit.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Are you kidding? They charge a flat annual fee for unlimited online gaming that amounts to a little less than $1 per week. In days gone by, before the internet, arcades were the multiplayer experience of choice and we would have blown way more than $1 a week at an arcade.

You want free online gaming? That's what PCs are for.

The better connectivity thing I agree with you 100% on though. I honestly think it will be moot though since the ISP plays as big a part in connectivity as anything.[/quote]

You have to use a PC because, what? PCs go to a different internet?

[quote name='xjadenx']You have to use a PC because, what? PCs go to a different internet?[/QUOTE]

I think he meant that pc gaming online is free.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']But their past actions have shown they will aggressively make the more expensive membership more attractive by taking things away from other members.[/QUOTE]

The original Xbox didn't even have a free membership. What have they taken away?

If this was real dedicated servers would make sense. I can see XBL gold going down as well, but dedicated would be really nice.

"According to a post over at Hip Hop Game Show"

Hmmmm...

If they made gold free but took away features like 5 people groups and crap like that, but let you play online, id say that microsoft would be genius. The retards would still pay monthly for the VIP status, and everyone else who just wants to play online would win. Of course, they'll likely do the opposite and charge more by taking Gold features away and forcing you to pay for them in the VIP.

E3 is going to be fun.

This is goofy. Live is already a P2P service save a few services, regular live should be free and this should be implemented as the pay. Or reduce the current price and make this the 50$ a year.

I'm pretty sure that if the current Live Gold was stripped in any way, I'd abandon the service. As it is, I dont really play online too much anyway. I wouldn't have gold at all except I've only paid an average of $25/yr thanks to CAG. I have membership til 11/2010. At that point, my 360 will be out of warranty anyway so I think I'll be jumping to the PS3.

But hey, if it gets MS more money, I'm all for it. I need their stock price to rise :).

[quote name='PhreQuencYViii']The original Xbox didn't even have a free membership. What have they taken away?[/quote]

What are you talking about? We're not talking about the original Xbox. We're talking about Silver and Gold on the 360. And they have taken away access to content, either on a timed or permanent basis, from Silver members. They also have sales on content that only Gold members can partake in, despite the fact that the content often has nothing to do with playing online.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']What are you talking about? We're not talking about the original Xbox. We're talking about Silver and Gold on the 360. And they have taken away access to content, either on a timed or permanent basis, from Silver members. They also have sales on content that only Gold members can partake in, despite the fact that the content often has nothing to do with playing online.[/quote]

Of course you are going to make something that costs money more attractive over something that is free. And what content has been "taken away" on a permanent basis? All demos are able to DLed by a silver Member a week later and offering a deal on a game only to gold members is not "taking away" anything from a silver member. They can still buy that game, just at at the regular price. Someone paying for Gold SHOULD get benefits over someone who is not. Plain and simple IMO.

Why pay for Gold if you got the same features as a free Silver subscribeR? It makes no sense.

[quote name='pot']Why pay for Gold if you got the same features as a free Silver subscribeR? It makes no sense.[/quote]

How exactly do you overlook the main difference...the biggest difference between...Silver and Gold? It's online play. That was the difference long before they started taking access to stuff away from Silver members. Wow...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']How exactly do you overlook the main difference...the biggest difference between...Silver and Gold? It's online play. That was the difference long before they started taking access to stuff away from Silver members. Wow...[/quote]

MS has always said Gold membership gets you online play and other perks. I don't see the big deal here. Of course you are going to get EXTRA things when you pay for something over someone who doesn't, online play included. Xbox online play has never been included, on both xbox systems, for free so how could that be considered something that was taken away?

"Xbox LIVE Gold Membership is a premium membership that lets you play games with friends online. Gold membership includes all the features of the free LIVE membership plus additional benefits and features."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pot']
Why pay for Gold if you got the same features as a free Silver subscribeR? It makes no sense.[/quote]

Reminds me of Sony's Gamers Advisory Panel. Made you feel all special but any prizes or betas were also offered to Underground members. So GAP was essentially a complete waste of time. And the people there are so brainwashed it's unreal. They'd jump off bridges for Sony. Creeped me out too much so I hauled ass on outta there.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Reminds me of Sony's Gamers Advisory Panel. Made you feel all special but any prizes or betas were also offered to Underground members. So GAP was essentially a complete waste of time. And the people there are so brainwashed it's unreal. They'd jump off bridges for Sony. Creeped me out too much so I hauled ass on outta there.[/quote]

LOL Ahh I remember that Panel! This VIP crap sounds bogus, anyway gonna go back watching Band of Brothers on PS3. BoB in 1080p and 5.1 DTS HD master audio = heaven.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']

Also XBLG is wayyyy too much money. $7 a month adds up to almost $80 a year, that's ridiculous. I know you can get it for cheap on cag, but I'd rather spend $50 on a new game than just the ability to play games. This is why i'll be buying all my future third party games on PS3.[/quote]

Thirteen months of Xbox Live is and has been $38.99 on Amazon since October.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']The idiots who say Killzone 2's online is broken are fucking retarded and are proabably a particapant in their states mental health program.

Seriously, how hard is it to turn on Killzone 2, go to "Warzone" or whatever it's called then "Join Game"? Oh and there's nothing wrong with the voice chat, the only reason you'd call someone on a phone was if you were cheating, which means you're a dick and no one cares what you think anyways.

Also XBLG is wayyyy too much money. $7 a month adds up to almost $80 a year, that's ridiculous. I know you can get it for cheap on cag, but I'd rather spend $50 on a new game than just the ability to play games. This is why i'll be buying all my future third party games on PS3.[/quote]

$80 a year? Wtf are you talking about?

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']The idiots who say Killzone 2's online is broken are fucking retarded and are proabably a particapant in their states mental health program.

Also XBLG is wayyyy too much money. $7 a month adds up to almost $80 a year, that's ridiculous. I know you can get it for cheap on cag, but I'd rather spend $50 on a new game than just the ability to play games. This is why i'll be buying all my future third party games on PS3.[/QUOTE]
It's really ironic how you call someone retarded, and then go on to say that XBL Gold costs $80 per year.

From the Uncharted 2 thread ....

BostonCollegeFan (for the 10th time): I pay $80 a year for XBL because I can't afford to buy a 12 month card.

Me: Why dont you just get one from Amazon for $38.99

BCF: I can't buy stuff online.

Me: You just posted a thread saying you were gonna buy $20 HDMI cables from Amazon

BCF: I'm ok with paying $20 on Amazon but anything more than that and I fear I'll be a victim of identity theft.

:rofl:

(yet we're the idiots for thinking that Killzone 2, a game in which you can't party up, has flaws)

Seriously, how hard is it to turn on Killzone 2, go to "Warzone" or whatever it's called then "Join Game"? Oh and there's nothing wrong with the voice chat, the only reason you'd call someone on a phone was if you were cheating, which means you're a dick and no one cares what you think anyways.

Your stubborn idiocy is so ridiculous.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']
Also XBLG is wayyyy too much money. $7 a month adds up to almost $80 a year, that's ridiculous. \[/quote]
I don't know what's more moronic, someone who would actually spend $7 month after month for an entire year of XBL or the people who keep quoting that x 12 as the cost of an annual subscription. It's right up there with a poser-mobile level of idiocy.

Just hearing that crystal, makes the whole thing sounds like a lie. There's no they would do that, unless the VIP was extremely costly for them to lose out money on silvers upgrading to gold.

[quote name='prmononoke']Your stubborn idiocy is so ridiculous.[/quote]I would be really pissed off if Harmonix raped my daughter and wife then executed them in front of me too, man.

I like how he got upset over me calling him poor in the MvC2 thread, but here he is calling everybody who thinks Killzone 2 is broken "fucking retards". :cool:

so what about Gold membership? Is it going to be obsolete? If it means gold members get less privileges, F that! And I'd like to know the cost as well, I'm set for 2 more years until the xbox 720 is (supposedly) available.

Eh, I rather see a price before I have any form of opinion on this matter. A price and what content would be taken away (..or given?) to current gold members. On top of the "heyyy gold member, you wanna upgrade to VIP for X% off?"

There's a lot of if, so, I'll wait.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']What are you talking about? We're not talking about the original Xbox. We're talking about Silver and Gold on the 360. And they have taken away access to content, either on a timed or permanent basis, from Silver members. They also have sales on content that only Gold members can partake in, despite the fact that the content often has nothing to do with playing online.[/QUOTE]

Xbox Live has spanned the original Xbox and the Xbox 360. What I meant was that if anything they added a free service. It does suck that stuff is time based, but really, chances are the people who want to remain silver don't really mind that and usually don't use there system too much. I don't think that since the launch of the 360 silver members have really lost features they previously have had, unless I'm wrong, I guess. I never stayed Silver.

My point is that silver is a lot better then what there used to be, which was nothing.

BTW, anyone remember the Xbox Live Diamond card? That was kind of like a VIP thing, except it was really damn lame. I think now they make you pay for the card too.

[quote name='SynGamer']fuck that. If they do this, i'll gladly switch over to PSN once i get my PS3 later this year. It's bad enough they charge us to play online...[/quote]

Trust me, shelling out a measly $50 a year to get XBL trumps a free PSN any day of the week. Not only is the entire interface just plan nicer on a 360, but most cross platform games like CoD have a 50x larger player base on the Xbox.

The only way I could possibly see this VIP membership working is if MS offers a small discount on DLC like maybe 5% or something. That way it gives the heavy DLC users an incentive to upgrade for whatever MS plans on charging for this service, assuming that the users will buy enough DLC with the discount to offset the cost of membership upgrade.

bread's done
Back