Rurouni Kenshin OVA LE Blu-Ray Release -- $64.99

Ecofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
I've been waiting for the Kenshin OVAs of "Trust & Betrayal" to be released on Blu-Ray, and the first set is being released August 24, 2011!

The set includes the following for $64.99 (before shipping):
- All 4 OVA episodes
- Total Running Time: 125 min.
- 1080 Hi-def picture, digitally remastered
- Audio: Japanese (linear PCM) & English (Dolby Digital 2.0)
- Subtitles: Japanese & English
- Exclusive new box and digipak art by ATSUKO NAKAJIMA, the character designer
- Includes a deluxe booklet (comes with separate English translation booklet)

The "Reflections" OVA and Kenshin movie are being released Sept 21 and Oct 26, respectively, for the same price.

Certainly the most expensive blu-rays I'll likely ever buy in terms of minutes/dollar, but as "Trust & Betrayal" are my favorite anime production of all times (I still listen to the soundtrack on a frequent basis), it's worth it to me.

It's marked as LIMITED EDITION so please take that into consideration.

Here's the link again just in case: http://www.aniplexusa.com/rurounikenshin/

[quote name='Phokis']1) Your PSN is Kenshin, spelled in l33t. You're "not a fan" while reading this thread 15 *years* after it was released.

2) It's against forum regulation to explicitly discuss piracy, and faux pas to discuss it generally.[/QUOTE]
1. Got a problem with my name? grow up, it was made 5 years ago when i was 14
2. When did i openly discuss piracy? not once did i say i was going to pirate anything
3. Grow up

[quote name='styl3s']1. Got a problem with my name? grow up, it was made 5 years ago when i was 14
2. When did i openly discuss piracy? not once did i say i was going to pirate anything
3. Grow up[/QUOTE]

Are you saying you didn't imply piracy here:

Then i will use the power of the internet to get 1080p versions without paying $64.

Implying piracy is just as bad as openly discussing it, but I guess we could just ask a mod?

[quote name='ssjmichael']Are you saying you didn't imply piracy here:

Implying piracy is just as bad as openly discussing it, but I guess we could just ask a mod?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's called EBAY, trade forums etc.

Not once did i mention piracy/download, don't try to put words in my mouth and ask a mod, because the rules say openly discussing, i didn't discuss or imply, i said i would use the other option, i belong to numerous anime forums that trade/sell.

*cough*Bullshit*cough*

We all know what you meant dude, and it certainly wasn't ebay, or trade forums. The way you worded it definitely implied piracy but if you want to say otherwise now, then whatever.

In fact, if it was ebay and trade forums you were referring to, why didn't you say that when people were telling you to "eat a dick" and callng you out on piracy earlier? Surely there's nothing shameful about getting it cheap on ebay or a trading forum, yet you didn't defend your post and question why someone was telling you to go eat a dick? If I was planning to get something cheap but in a legal way and someone told me to eat a dick I'd be confused and try to clarify the obvious misinterpretation. That is...Unless there was nothing misinterpreted by elessar ...

[quote name='ssjmichael']*cough*Bullshit*cough*

We all know what you meant dude, and it certainly wasn't ebay, or trade forums. The way you worded it definitely implied piracy but if you want to say otherwise now, then whatever.

In fact, if it was ebay and trade forums you were referring to, why didn't you say that when people were telling you to "eat a dick" and callng you out on piracy earlier? Surely there's nothing shameful about getting it cheap on ebay or a trading forum, yet you didn't defend your post and question why someone was telling you to go eat a dick?[/QUOTE]
I really don't care what you think, and why would i even entertain the idea of having a conversation or explain myself to someone who told me to eat a dick? i am not 13, i don't have time to argue with a child.

If you want to defend yourself against a 12 year old telling you to eat a dick then so be it, i don't feel i have to defend myself to a internet troll and i won't, hence the sarcastic "cool story bro" i don't have to justify myself to him, you or anyone else because i never said i was going to pirate end of conversation.

Feel free to bring a mod in, if by some chance you convince him to ban me over something i didn't do then ok, it's the internet.. you think i will lose sleep? Remember that karma is a bitch and im done with this petty argument.

[quote name='styl3s']you think i will lose sleep?[/QUOTE]
Clearly not, as you showed yourself more than ready to make excuses rather than engage in honest introspection. 1080p through the internet without a bluray disc means one thing and one thing only; Your moral failings are on display, and your defense of yourself has done nothing but show peoples' snap judgment to be more likely accurate. I implore everyone to leave it at that, as we can glean nothing else of value from this derailment.

The price is high. Some people find it unjustifiably so, some people think the work it took to clean it up warrants it, and there probably won't be a consensus being that this forum is based on getting things when they're less costly. In this case I think the real point should be, will this ever drop, or will it be limited enough that the price will only rise? My gut tells me that with the new Kenshin live action movie(s) and the new animated series likely in the works, this will either remain in print or there could be another edition (and I for one hope it would include Reflections though I know I'm in the minority). If I'm wrong, I guess I'll have to wait another 20 years or however long for the next media format.

As of right now, these will not be sold anywhere but online on those sites right? If so, I'm putting in my order tonight. I am actually one of those that thinks this is cheap, not overly priced. If us hardcore fans won't even support, who will? I'd rather see these get released here at any price, rather than not at all.

The only reason I ask if it's going to be sold anywhere else is because I'm afraid the casing will get damaged in transit.

I'm so on the fence about these. On one hand I didn't love the OVAs but I do love the entire series sans the last arc. $65 is a bit steep but not really anything I haven't seen. It's almost like buying anime in the late 90s early 00s. I'll probably wait a little while until I have more money or there is a highly unlikely price drop.

[quote name='jling84']As of right now, these will not be sold anywhere but online on those sites right? If so, I'm putting in my order tonight. I am actually one of those that thinks this is cheap, not overly priced. If us hardcore fans won't even support, who will? I'd rather see these get released here at any price, rather than not at all.

The only reason I ask if it's going to be sold anywhere else is because I'm afraid the casing will get damaged in transit.[/QUOTE]
Bandai Ent. and Right Stuf are the exclusive distributors/retailers. Bandai Ent. also sells it in their storefront @ Amazon.com marketplace (it gets listed when the product is in-stock). Other retailers like Anime Nation and RACS would have to get their products/order from either Bandai or Right Stuf. That's why they are typically marked at MSRP and don't ship somtime after the actual release date.

If you're worry about packaging I would stick with Right Stuf. They are easier to deal with if something happens.

And just to throw this out there, Aniplex of America pricing structure is different than the other North American distributors. Their prices pretty much only go up sometime after the release date.

[quote name='styl3s']cool story bro

I have bills to pay, i am not about to fork over almost $70 on like 2 hours of anime that i don't even like THAT much.[/QUOTE]

hahahaha You are hilarious, K3nsh1n. Thanks for making my morning.

Razzuel, thanks for the comparison. I ordered the set.

It's unfortunate that Styl3s is getting so much hate -- this should be a discussion about the Kenshin OVA blu-rays, not the im/morality of his "decision process."

Some of us think the $65 is worth it, others don't. Personally this OVA ranks in my Top 3 anime of all times (across series, OVAs, and movies) and well worth the price to me. I've been wanting to show my wife the Kenshin OVA's for a long time but waited till the blu-rays came out because she only watches movies once, and I felt the ADV DVDs had colors that were too washed out and pixilated.

Glad I waited!

[quote name='Ecofreak']It's unfortunate that Styl3s is getting so much hate -- this should be a discussion about the Kenshin OVA blu-rays, not the im/morality of his "decision process."[/QUOTE]

Yes, but either it's worth it at $65, or you don't buy it. You don't go pirating it because it's not worth $65 to you.

How would it be if everyone on the threads was like, "Blah game is $60, but since it's only worth $20 to me, I'm going to download it." Not so good? So why isn't the same logic applied to movies?

[quote name='elessar123']Yes, but either it's worth it at $65, or you don't buy it. You don't go pirating it because it's not worth $65 to you.

How would it be if everyone on the threads was like, "Blah game is $60, but since it's only worth $20 to me, I'm going to download it." Not so good? So why isn't the same logic applied to movies?[/QUOTE]
Doesn't this happen constantly with used games here though? Same net effect on the creators, but the stigma's not there? Probably the wrong place to discuss it, but I felt like it had to be said.

[quote name='Shinpachi']Doesn't this happen constantly with used games here though? Same net effect on the creators, but the stigma's not there? Probably the wrong place to discuss it, but I felt like it had to be said.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but one is legal, and the other is not.

[quote name='elessar123']Yes, but either it's worth it at $65, or you don't buy it. You don't go pirating it because it's not worth $65 to you.

How would it be if everyone on the threads was like, "Blah game is $60, but since it's only worth $20 to me, I'm going to download it." Not so good? So why isn't the same logic applied to movies?[/QUOTE]

It's also funny because he thinks he's arguing with 12 year-olds. I'd imagine the average age here skews closer to 25-30, seeing as the show is already 15 years old.

Oh well, I remember what it was like being 19 and being a poor college student. I just made sure to post in the right forum instead of one about "purchasing" things. I also remember being burned several times with those cheap ebay purchases with terrible hkdvds.

$65 stings. A lot. But that's close to how much anime used to cost back when buying these things on DVD. I think I paid ~$27 apiece for two dvds day 1? And those were terrible DVDs (thanks for those comparison screenshots, btw.)

[quote name='Phokis']It's also funny because he thinks he's arguing with 12 year-olds. I'd imagine the average age here skews closer to 25-30, seeing as the show is already 15 years old.

Oh well, I remember what it was like being 19 and being a poor college student. I just made sure to post in the right forum instead of one about "purchasing" things. I also remember being burned several times with those cheap ebay purchases with terrible hkdvds.

$65 stings. A lot. But that's close to how much anime used to cost back when buying these things on DVD. I think I paid ~$27 apiece for two dvds day 1? And those were terrible DVDs (thanks for those comparison screenshots, btw.)[/QUOTE]

Psh, WAAAY back in the day it was ~$30 for two episodes on VHS! You can imagine the bill for a full 26 episodes series.

4 episodes per DVD with excellent quality relative to VHS was such an amazing leap forward in terms of value when the technology came around.

Man, I cringe when I think about how much I paid for the individual volumes. $20-30 a piece for all 22 volumes. Not as bad as Ecofreak's VHS example, but still, it's still a crazy amount

[quote name='ssjmichael']Man, I cringe when I think about how much I paid for the individual volumes. $20-30 a piece for all 22 volumes. Not as bad as Ecofreak's VHS example, but still, it's still a crazy amount[/QUOTE]

Yea, I remember paying about $100 for Key the Metal Idol, the first anime I've ever bought. I was actually 18 at the time, lol.

bread's done
Back