Ryse: Son of Rome Megathread

Site
Having played AA and watching the recorded Ryse combat, I didn't see much difference. Just my opinion. Since people who are playing the game stated as such I must said I agreed based on what I had seen.
I've played All 3 Batman Games And Ryse AndPretTy Much Agree Except Ryse Has Fewer Attack Options (Eg: Nothing Ranged). Fluidity Is Very Similar And Feels Good.

stupid Phone Browser Does Weird Formatting On this Site

Last edited by a moderator:
Beat Ryse last night..starting on the multiplayer aspect.  The ending sequence was pretty badass.  Overall I liked it quite a bit and would definitely recommend it to anyone on the fence.

It's funny because when I was thinking of how to describe this game, Batman's combat was the first thing that popped into my head.

I don't think its quite as polished or well rounded as a game like Batman but it still pretty cool.. Hope it sells well enough for a sequel where hopefully the developers actually take the time to make more enemy designs... That should of been a red flag from the start.

One of my tests to see if a game is really good is if I even remotely consider playing it a second time.  I could have played KI or ACIV, which I've been dying to get to, but tonight I went right back to Ryse.  Played some co-op and that was a fun.  It would be 10x more fun if any of my XBL buddies had the game because I could see this having ME3 MP appeal and my buddies and I poured hundreds of hours into that.  Oh well, I'll play with randoms for now.  Unlocking stuff is addictive fun.  Speaking of that, here's an interactive video where you can get a shield for use in the co-op mode:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/ryse/pathofvengeance

You need to find 5 icons in the interactive vista's.  The last two aren't that easy. 

Oh, and I did run into the glitch where the game doesn't recognize that you've selected Legendary difficulty.  I got to Episode 3 before realizing my cheevo's weren't popping.  Lame.

Beat the game last week, and I really don't see why the game was getting so much negative reviews.  It's a solid 7 or 8 out of 10 for me, no where near the 5 or 6 range that metacritic seems to be giving it.  From the get go, I would assume that many of the reviewers were playing on Normal difficulty, which seems to easy for anyone to really enjoy.  Bump up the difficulty (note, I haven't done legendary yet) and you get to appreciate the audio cues and timing required for the combat.

After reading this thread, I beat the game and never realized that the executions combos were based on the action he was doing (i.e. sword is X, melee is Y), I had just memorized the execution based on the first hit ('Oh, he cut his left arm off, next two inputs are X then Y').  Realizing that I can just watch which body part is executing the attack makes getting legendary executions a whole lot easier.

Lastly... did anyone use the pilums at all?  I got through the game only using it on far-away archers, never used it to chain combos, as it seems to slow to be useful.  Not to mention, why throw a pilum to disarm an enemy shield when you can just use focus and go buck-wild on them?

I beat the game as well. I really enjoyed the gameplay. I think its funny how people complain theres too much fighting, but I'd rather have the fighting than having to fill time between fights like God of War does by having you kick around boxes to complete boring puzzles.

They could've used a bit more variety in the executions (at least let me cut off more than someone's right arm) and the placement of collectibles was extremely confusing.

I will most likely check out the multiplayer tomorrow, so if anyone wants to add me, my GT is in the sig.

I agree, I honestly didn't enjoy the GOW games. 1 was very boring up until the end, 2 picked up nicely then dragged. 3 I couldn't bother with finishing.

Reviews have given a lot of games flak for some truly stupid reasons.

I judge a game based on that game. I don't compare it to other games similar to it, and say it could have been this or that. It's about how the game delivers on its premise. Controls, graphics, story and how the mechanics of the game function for that game.

Just got this game from Gamefly

Played for about 2 hours

The difficulty on this game is ZERO. Multiplayer is absurdly stupidly easy.

Not gonna lie im really disappointed, this was the next gen game I was most excited about playing. The reviews are pretty spot on, this game sucks.

People who are like OMG OMG this game is awesome have no clue. The reviews that describe this as "movie with occasional button presses" is spot on. 

Returning this crap when mail picks up on monday, ill beat the campaign just because I have it. But this shit is awful and then some

I beat it pretty quickly but can't say I'm disappointed.

I think the game had more potential. I wish there would of been more strategic choices, like telling my troops where to go, or which side to control, ect ect.

I thought the story was good, and the visuals were awesome. Very simple combat system, but IMO the game is fun. Multiplayer was kind of a let down for me, and replaying the story mode would be a waste of time, which gives the game very low replay value.

The game isn't worth $60, but I'd at least recommend playing it. Especially since we won't be seeing many new titles for a couple months.

I played a few hours last night and really enjoying it too.  Actually I'd say more than forza for sure, and probably at the same level as DR3.  And I do agree with the batman combat style.  Looking forward to playing all the way through it.

I'm having a lot of fun with Killer Instinct and ACIV on the X1, but I've been itching to replay Ryse on the highest difficulty. 

I was sold on this game when I saw the enemy get stabbed through the neck.  That's all I need. 

I definitely want to play this game so it'll be the first one I get. 

I'm about a hour or so into Ryse and I have to say I like it. I was pretty skeptical because these types of games generally aren't for me. The combat is simple and the upgrades aren't confusing like some of the other similar games. I bought it used so hopefully I can play through it and beat the game and then take it back to Gamestop within a week. 

For those of you that have finished the game, about how many hours would you say it took?

I'm on the 7th chapter now. Question is, is there a certain thing you have to do to get executions? I have done numerous, but don't know what triggers them. I have to execute the champion and I just keep killing him time after time instead of performing the execution.

[quote name="krashhole" post="11373324" timestamp="1387672522"]I'm about a hour or so into Ryse and I have to say I like it. I was pretty skeptical because these types of games generally aren't for me. The combat is simple and the upgrades aren't confusing like some of the other similar games. I bought it used so hopefully I can play through it and beat the game and then take it back to Gamestop within a week.

For those of you that have finished the game, about how many hours would you say it took?[/quote]about 6 hours. I'm trading mine in to best buy for $40.

Has anyone else had issues finding multiplayer games to connect to ? I set it find a game to join and it just sits there forever waiting to join and saying that it is searching for someone to join. I let it sit there for over 30 minutes earlier today while I did some other things and it never found a match. 

My best guess is that traffic was high at that time as well as Christmas day. Every network was either down or having issues.

I played about 10 minutes of it, and I like it, but anytime you have to aim to shoot or throw something... is horrible.  I like the basic combat, and I like the Story.  Only issue I have is that the button presses are mapped to the color that the body glows, and I'm not used to the xbox controller at all... so I'm pressing the wrong damn button and messing up the finishers.  I only want to do 2 things.. HACK and SLASH.  Anytime I'm doing something other than that... then I'm not having fun. 

So I've finally nabbed a copy of Ryse: Son of Rome since I'm relatively new to Xbox One (picked it up when they kept delaying Titanfall for 360 & I got my tax refund :p) and I like it a lot. Very impressed with the graphical fidelity of the setting and the animations of the facial structure of the 3D models as well as the animations of them too -- I sorta took college courses in this area. I'm playing through on Centurion and really love the presentation of the game. I'm also a fan of the combat but obviously it's not going to be as in-depth as the Batman games because we're not a tech billionaire here -- Roman history is more about simply brutal and basic military combat. Considering I found a copy for $25 from Gamefly and I have only touched the surface of the game I'm considerably satisfied so far.

Just got this game from Gamefly

Played for about 2 hours

The difficulty on this game is ZERO. Multiplayer is absurdly stupidly easy.

Not gonna lie im really disappointed, this was the next gen game I was most excited about playing. The reviews are pretty spot on, this game sucks.

People who are like OMG OMG this game is awesome have no clue. The reviews that describe this as "movie with occasional button presses" is spot on.

Returning this crap when mail picks up on monday, ill beat the campaign just because I have it. But this shit is awful and then some
I couldn't disagree more. I really enjoyed every aspect of the game. Sure it's more cinematic than other games, but it fits the mold of story centric games. If that's not what you want....move along. But you are entitled to your opinion.

bread's done
Back