Saints Row the Third (PC) $16.49 flash sale *It's Alive Again?*

Good price thanks.

EDIT: Bought the game..no serial number is included in the email, only a link to download the impulse client even though this is a Steam game.. So I have to install impluse just to retrieve a code? What a joke.. I'm emailing CS now to see if they can just send me the damn code.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mindcycle']Good price thanks.

EDIT: Bought the game..no serial number is included in the email, only a link to down the impulse client even though this is a Steam game.. So I have to install impluse just to retrieve a code? What a joke.. I'm emailing CS now to see if they can just send me the damn code.[/QUOTE]

Yep, the thing is I don't think GameStop is set up to provide codes. You don't necessarily have to install the game using Impulse (I'm not even sure that you can), but you'll probably have to install Impulse to get your code. I suspect that this is a consequence of the fact that GameStop as a mostly B&M retailer didn't have existing infrastructure on its website to handle distribution of serial codes unlike Impulse's previous owner, Stardock.

[quote name='vherub']thanks for posting, what are flash sales- is this a new gamestop thing?[/QUOTE]

Never heard of this before but on their site it sounds like this has been going on for a while.

[quote name='warreni']Yep, the thing is I don't think GameStop is set up to provide codes. You don't necessarily have to install the game using Impulse (I'm not even sure that you can), but you'll probably have to install Impulse to get your code. I suspect that this is a consequence of the fact that GameStop as a mostly B&M retailer didn't have existing infrastructure on its website to handle distribution of serial codes unlike Impulse's previous owner, Stardock.[/QUOTE]

I've emailed CS to see if that's the case, but if it is, this will be my last purchase from them. They actually have a form on their support page that will supposedly email serial numbers from purchased items, but I tired it and just got the impulse software download link again in a new email. Oh joy! lol
http://www.impulsedriven.com/support

Having to install software I have no use for just to retrieve a Steam code is beyond ridiculous IMO.

They sent me a code. I never downloaded Impulse. It's in the email and you just plug it into Steam. Check your email receipt again.

I've ordered a few Steam products from them before and I got the code in an e-mail. I have Gamestop/Impulse installed but you don't need to if you get a Steam game from them.

[quote name='bx1018']They sent me a code. I never downloaded Impulse. It's in the email and you just plug it into Steam. Check your email receipt again.[/QUOTE]

I can't find any code in my email either. Only one is next to PayPal, which I assume is the transaction ID.

[quote name='facls']I can't find any code in my email either. Only one is next to PayPal, which I assume is the transaction ID.[/QUOTE]

It might not have the dashes so it might look like a serial number.

It's usually just under the name of the item you bought in the e-mail.

For example, I bought Metro 2033 from there the other day. The e-mail had a table near the bottom saying:

your name, address, etc. info here

Product
-----------------------
Metro 2033 Quantity: 1 $price
STEAMCODE
http://www.impulsedriven.com/impulse_setup.exe (Install Impulse and logon to download)
-----------------------
Shipping $0.00
Discounts $0.00
Tax $0.00
-----------------------
Total $price USD

[quote name='Mugatu']It might not have the dashes so it might look like a serial number.

It's usually just under the name of the item you bought in the e-mail.

For example, I bought Metro 2033 from there the other day. The e-mail had a table near the bottom saying:[/QUOTE]

My email is different:

Saints Row The Third Quantity: 1 $16.49
[Registered in Impulse. Right click entry in Impulse and select "View Registration"]
http://www.impulsedriven.com/impulse_setup.exe (Install Impulse and logon to download)

The only code I can find is at the top near Payment Method: PayPal. It's a 17 digit code. It's not the transaction ID, as I just checked that in my PayPal account.

I had to log in to Impulse (Now GameStop whateverthing) to get my code. Fortunately, I already had it installed from when it was actually Impulse.

[quote name='facls']My email is different:

[Registered in Impulse. Right click entry in Impulse and select "View Registration"]

The only code I can find is at the top near Payment Method: PayPal. It's a 17 digit code. It's not the transaction ID, as I just checked that in my PayPal account.[/QUOTE]

Weird, I got my e-mail just a couple of days ago so maybe they just changed it?

No idea why they do this, why would any company have different receipt e-mails?

[quote name='Mugatu']Weird, I got my e-mail just a couple of days ago so maybe they just changed it?

No idea why they do this, why would any company have different receipt e-mails?[/QUOTE]

Well, guess I'll just install the damn Impulse client, get the code, redeem it, and then uninstall Impulse.

[quote name='dmdragon']reported to amazon[/QUOTE]

You can check out sticky thread at the top of the forums for our stance on this. We (Amazon Game Downloads) don't price match limited quantity sales, as our customers find this to be a pretty negative experience. This feedback is not anecdotal, we've tried them in the past and measured the number of people who contacted us upset vs. the number of units sold.

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='Mugatu']Weird, I got my e-mail just a couple of days ago so maybe they just changed it?

No idea why they do this, why would any company have different receipt e-mails?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to gamestop

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']You can check out sticky thread at the top of the forums for our stance on this. We (Amazon Game Downloads) don't price match limited quantity sales, as our customers find this to be a pretty negative experience. This feedback is not anecdotal, we've tried them in the past and measured the number of people who contacted us upset vs. the number of units sold.

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

Understandable, I did not realize this, thank you. Although I would much rather purchase from you guys

[quote name='facls']My email is different:

The only code I can find is at the top near Payment Method: PayPal. It's a 17 digit code. It's not the transaction ID, as I just checked that in my PayPal account.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is exactly how my email showed up.

[quote name='facls']Well, guess I'll just install the damn Impulse client, get the code, redeem it, and then uninstall Impulse.[/QUOTE]

Yep, i'm going to do the same thing I guess once i'm in front of my PC at home.. Will probably be quicker that waiting on CS to respond to my email, which according to their forums, won't happen for awhile if at all. Just seems like an extremely backwards way of supplying a code you'll end up having to redeem through another service anyway.

I should have just waited for the $25 sale on amazon and avoided this BS. Oh well..

[quote name='Xellos2099']i got ym code with email[/QUOTE]

For Saints Row the Third? Where did it show up in the email?

[quote name='mindcycle']Yep, i'm going to do the same thing I guess once i'm in front of my PC at home.. Will probably be quicker that waiting on CS to respond to my email, which according to their forums, won't happen for awhile if at all. Just seems like an extremely backwards way of supplying a code you'll end up having to redeem through another service anyway.

I should have just waited for the $25 sale on amazon and avoided this BS. Oh well..[/QUOTE]

Well, after installation you just to right click the game and choose on View Registration to get the Steam code. It was pretty quick.

the deal is dead for me now. It lags on my system 2.2 GHz dual core, 2Gb ram, 8800GT but is still playable. that's why I decided not to hop on the deal.

So yes, you do need impulse installed to view the serial. Here's the email I received from impulse CS, which was actually quite prompt, so thumbs up for that at least.
Hello, If you have purchased a game that requires you to install the Steam Client software and register the game with Steam please follow the instructions below to add your game to your Steam account.

1) Inside the Impulse Client software, right-click on your game and select 'View Product Code'
2) Press the 'Copy to Clipboard' button.
3) Follow the instructions on the website link below to register your game with Steam. When you get to the step where it is asking for the Product Code; right-click in the entry area and select 'Paste' and this should add the Registration code from the Impulse Client we copied to the clipboard to the clipboard earlier https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5414-TFBN-1352
4) This should add the game you purchased to your Steam account.

Please let us know if this does not resolve your issue or if you have any further questions or concerns. I apologize for the delay.

Best Regards, Nathan

GameStop PC Downloads Support
and here's my reply for whoever is interested.
Nathan,

Thanks for your reply. I'll go ahead and do that, however, I don't understand why I would need to install impulse to redeem a steam code when I'm going to have to download the game from steam anyway. Why couldn't the code be included in the email? Doesn't really make any sense.

I'm sure that decision wasn't up to you personally, but maybe you can pass this email up the chain. To be quite honest, this hassle, although small, is reason enough for me to not want to make further purchases from impulse. Every other digital download service I've purchased steam games from has included the code in the invoice email, or at the very least has had an easy way of obtaining the code through the web. This may be something to consider as it makes a lot more sense IMO. It would make the process of buying and redeeming steam based games a lot easier for your customers.

Thanks again for your time and prompt reply.
Ryan

bread's done
Back