Sam and Max Season One $5

I'll wait to see if it's also the Steam weekend deal, tomorrow, first, but I'm in for 1...thought about getting this earlier today.

[quote name='mcdaking84']should I get this or the tales of monkey island?[/QUOTE]

I jumped on this, but I haven't played it yet. I have, however, played ToMI and I absolutely loved it. If you're new to Telltale, I would recommend jumping on this (simply because of the spectacularly good price), then moving on to Monkey Island after you're done.

I bought both seasons of sam and max during the steam sale for 15. But if you have never played it, 5 bucks for the first season is no excuse. Fantastic series!

I got this in my e-mail also. There is information in there about a season three forthcoming as well. They have a pic of a Gorilla Grod type space monkey enemy thing. Also under the radar is that Strong Bad's Really Cool Game for Attractive People (I think that's the right name) is $20 (a $10 discount) for both the downloads and the Collector's DVD. You need to pay shipping on the DVD, but still not bad.

I'm considering it, but I bought Monkey Island (original) a while back and have not managed to put more then 10 minutes into that, so I don't know when I'd get around to this game! So I probably shouldn't, but I'm so addicted to deals....

Already played through season one over a year ago, great deal for those who havent, still waiting for a deal like this on season two.

[quote name='xycury']I would assume download only, and that page won't get you the physical dvd free.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps. But it looks like you *could* get the bonus content for free from there.

From that website:

If you have already purchased the downloadable Season One set from Telltale's website, you can get the bonus disc for free by entering your order number above. If you've purchased a standalone episode, enter that order number to upgrade to the Season One set and bonus disc for just $21. All orders that include the bonus disc are subject to shipping charges and tax (calculated at checkout).
If you have any problems with the system not recognizing your order number, please e-mail us at [email protected].​

The big question is whether the bonus content would be a separate disk, or is it the same disk that has the game on it as well.

The Sam & Max Season 1 DVD is the most jam-packed DVD they've ever done, too. Three commentary tracks for each episode. Shipping is about $5, I think.

[quote name='mcdaking84']should I get this or the tales of monkey island?[/QUOTE]

Definitely can't go wrong with this for $5. Damn steal if you ask me. I'd also highly recommend Tales of Monkey Island though. I've been playing through it recently and really loving every minute.

[quote name='xycury']Think Steam will do this? Be a teeny bit more conveinent to get it on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Telltale and Steam have run some simultaneous deals before (like the Wallace & Grommit 20th anniversary sale), but it doesn't really seem to be something you can count on. Most of the time, Telltale just runs their own deals.

[quote name='Apoxxle']Do you get the physical DVD buying it this way?
It looks like if you enter the order number you get the physical DVD for free...
http://www.telltalegames.com/store/samandmax-season1-disc[/QUOTE]

If you buy the season, you should be able to get the DVD if you pay shipping and handling. I don't recall them ever having a deal that precluded you from getting it.

FYI, the DVD you get in the mail is a little different from the one you buy in store because of the packaging. If I recall the in store version had much cooler packaging and came with a bonus poster. Still worth it IMO.

Just jumped in on this. Thanks, OP!

Just to clarify about the free disc: the disc is free, but you still have to pay for S&H.

This is such a great deal. I've already played it on someone else's PC, but I'm buying it now anyway. It's such a great series. Though they do seem to be having activation problems. My game still won't activate. TTG is looking into it, though, so hopefully I'll be back into some Sam and Max goodness soon.

Anybody know if they improved the audio quality of the speech in game like they did with Tales of Monkey Island after chapter 2? Before they did that I was severely annoyed at the extreme compression of speech in the game. I've heard Sam & Max is even worse, so unless I hear about improvements I'm never gonna play this.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']FYI, the DVD you get in the mail is a little different from the one you buy in store because of the packaging. If I recall the in store version had much cooler packaging and came with a bonus poster. Still worth it IMO.[/QUOTE]

The retail DVD is just the games, no special features like the commentary tracks and developer journal PDFs.

I forgot to mention, this deal is only good until midnight Sunday.

I've been playing this, and just the first episode is well worth the $5, I highly recommend it.

Snagged a copy. I have pretty good sized PS3, PSP and 360 backlog. As might as well start a PC backlog too. :lol:

I got the e-mail about this from Telltale, but didn't know about the DVD for an additional $5.66. I ended up getting that too. Played the original Sam and Max when I was a kid and missed out on the Steam deal around Christmas so this'll work.

Bought the games and the extra disc. I love Sam and Max ever since I borrowed it from a friend when I was 6. Awesome game that I never figured out how to complete until I was 12.

[quote name='JokerCard']I love Sam and Max ever since I borrowed it from a friend when I was 6. Awesome game that I never figured out how to complete until I was 12.[/QUOTE]

Good lord, remind me never to lend YOU anything.

Six years, geez...

[quote name='Justme8800']Good lord, remind me never to lend YOU anything.

Six years, geez...[/QUOTE]

It's not like Securom existed back then. Once installed, the disks can be given back.

Sweet, picked this up. I've been kind of waiting for this to go on sale since I beat Season 2. Granted, it will be forever until I have a chance to play through these, but no biggie. This was too good of a price to pass up.

[quote name='Justme8800']Good lord, remind me never to lend YOU anything.

Six years, geez...[/QUOTE]

HAHA!!!

Forgot to mention I made a copy for myself to keep :)

I still have it and I use SCUMM to run it and it works fine. The writing and graphics still hold up.

[quote name='ohboy10451']pc requirements? specifically video card?[/QUOTE]

From the Telltale site:

• Windows XP
• 1.5GHz processor
• 256MB RAM
• 32MB 3D-accelerated video card

It runs great on my crappy old Intel GMA950 integrated graphics laptop, at full settings even.

bread's done
Back