Samurai 7 Limited Edition DVD Bundle: $109.99 @ RightStuf.com

I bought volume one for $6 at a going out of business sale somewhere. I keep forgetting to eBay it...

The disc wasn't all that great.

The limited editions look beautiful, but I found the bonus booklets contained within to be a bit on the useless side. It's cool to see the Japanese storyboards and all, but there are absolutely *zero* translation notes, and the booklets are printed on near newspaper-quality paper. Meh.

Still, for this price, it's fairly tempting... but I think I'll end up holding out for the cheaper box set coming out in late March, which can be had for around $60-70.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']The limited editions look beautiful, but I found the bonus booklets contained within to be a bit on the useless side. It's cool to see the Japanese storyboards and all, but there are absolutely *zero* translation notes, and the booklets are printed on near newspaper-quality paper. Meh.

Still, for this price, it's fairly tempting... but I think I'll end up holding out for the cheaper box set coming out in late March, which can be had for around $60-70.[/quote] DDD currently has the boxset listed for preorder @ $60.49. DDD has mislabeled this boxset on the website. It seems that they thought the title is Samurai (7-Disc) Boxset instead of Samurai 7 Boxset!

Samurai Box Set (7D): $60.49, Release Date: 03/27/07.

It will be $48.39 (about $6.91 per volume) for those who want to wait until the next DDD 20% off sale. But this is assuming that the boxset doesn't get removed from the website or the price doesn't get changed.

[quote name='WhoKnowsWho']Is it worth it for this series? I saw the limited edition big boxes at BB for $20 but they only had 4, 5, and 6.[/quote]

ABSO-Freaking-LOUTELY!
Samurai 7 is #3 on my top 5 favourite series list (just happens to be the only shonen title there) along with Azumanga Daioh, Haibane Renmei, His and Her Circumstances and Kaleido Star.

Samurai 7 has a decent start, but REALLY escalades around the 3rd or 4th volume. Each Samurai is unique, and while there is the occaisional cliche, I found myself liking 6 of the 7 Samurai (Katsuhiro REALLY doesn't do it for me) and the lead heroine (Kirara) and I had quite the soft spot for her little sister Komochi.

There is a great plot throughout and the mix of 3D/2D, while showing signs of struggle, chuggs along nicely. There are a couple of episodes with w-e-a-k animation, but most episodes are fluid and great to look at.

AND on top of it all, its one of the better endings in anime.

All this being said, if I didn't already have all volumes+box, I'd have had this ordered.

LE version is noth worth your $$$$ unless you can read japanese. I did recommanded Samurai 7 BOX SET (7 Disc) MSRP $100, but you can get it under $50 running deepdiscount sale.

i would also HIGHLY recommend this series! it's absolutely unbelievable! and you do have to get into the first couple discs before you rEALLY get hooked on the series...

The first DVD is boring for the most part. The second DVD picks up the pace a lot. This is a great anime for a great price. I already bought all the LE's though for $20 each, which in hindsight sucks.

[quote name='WTK']DDD currently has the boxset listed for preorder @ $60.49. DDD has mislabeled this boxset on the website. It seems that they thought the title is Samurai (7-Disc) Boxset instead of Samurai 7 Boxset!

Samurai Box Set (7D): $60.49, Release Date: 03/27/07.

It will be $48.39 (about $6.91 per volume) for those who want to wait until the next DDD 20% off sale. But this is assuming that the boxset doesn't get removed from the website or the price doesn't get changed.[/QUOTE]

but this isn't the LE, is it?

[quote name='KazuoKiriyama']but this isn't the LE, is it?[/quote]
This upcoming release will not be the Limited Editions!

[quote name='KazuoKiriyama']but this isn't the LE, is it?[/QUOTE]
The point of my first post was to explain that, while the LE versions are pretty, the contents of each are fairly lame. I'd rather save $60.

bread's done
Back