Samurai Shodown V and King of Fighters '94 Rebout: $30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chacrana

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Both EBGames.com and Gamestop.com have the games up for preorder at the low, low price of $30. Amazon.com lists the retail price as $40 and since they're right a lot of the time, it might be wise to jump on this deal just in case ($30 seems a bit strange since no other Neo Geo port has been lower than $40.)

Gamestop (use FREESHIPALL for... free shipping):

Samurai Shodown V

B000809OOU.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

King of Fighters '94 Rebout

210861bm.jpg

EBGames

Samurai Shodown V

B000809OOU.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

King of Fighters '94 Rebout

210861bm.jpg

Anyway, if you're into Neo Geo games (and you should be), these are definitely good games.

edit: updated with KOF94 at EBGames. Thanks to Shipwreck.

I'm looking foreward to both of these, on top of Metal Slug 4/5, KoF 03/04, KoF Neowave, and KoF: MI Maniax. I hope they bring Neo Geo Battle Coliseum over.

[quote name='shipwreck']KOF Rebout 04 is on EB's site here: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/256345.asp

Both of these games have been listed at these prices for quite some time. I just figured they were the MSRP, but maybe you are right.[/QUOTE]

Ah... didn't see it because that title is completely messed up. I'll add it though.

And yeah, I figured that this was MSRP price until I looked at Amazon. I wanted to be on the safe side so I ordered both of them.

Is SamSho V going to include the special edition as well or just the original? It would be lame if they only put the original on there. The special edition in the US was censored too, which would also suck if they did that.

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm looking foreward to both of these, on top of Metal Slug 4/5, KoF 03/04, KoF Neowave, and KoF: MI Maniax. I hope they bring Neo Geo Battle Coliseum over.[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting for KOF Neowave, but I'm sorta on the fence about MS4/5. See, from what I understand, the Xbox version still gives you infinite credits... since there's no challenge as a result, I don't know how worthwhile it'd be to buy those games... unless that infinite credit thing was fixed for the Xbox.

[quote name='opportunity777']Is SamSho V going to include the special edition as well or just the original? It would be lame if they only put the original on there. The special edition in the US was censored too, which would also suck if they did that.[/QUOTE]

It's Samsho V Special.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm waiting for KOF Neowave, but I'm sorta on the fence about MS4/5. See, from what I understand, the Xbox version still gives you infinite credits... since there's no challenge as a result, I don't know how worthwhile it'd be to buy those games... unless that infinite credit thing was fixed for the Xbox.[/QUOTE]

You know, you could just LIMIT yourself to how many credits you got on the original version...they don't force you to use as many as you can!

I hate when people complain about stuff like this. At least they let players have the option as to using however many credits they want. For poor players, this is great. If you're awesome at it, then don't use them. fucking simple!

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm waiting for KOF Neowave, but I'm sorta on the fence about MS4/5. See, from what I understand, the Xbox version still gives you infinite credits... since there's no challenge as a result, I don't know how worthwhile it'd be to buy those games... unless that infinite credit thing was fixed for the Xbox.[/QUOTE]
I don't like infinite credits either, but if you don't like having infinite credits... Then don't use the credits! Don't let it ruin an otherwise great game just because you lack the willpower not to use continues.

I like what the guy on the SNK site said, send SNK a roll of quarters every time you use a continue.

[quote name='dafoomie']I don't like infinite credits either, but if you don't like having infinite credits... Then don't use the credits! Don't let it ruin an otherwise great game just because you lack the willpower not to use continues.

I like what the guy on the SNK site said, send SNK a roll of quarters every time you use a continue.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I like that quarters idea... I'll prolly end up buying the game though just because Metal Slug has always been absolutely fantastic.

[quote name='SDC']So is SNKPlaymore release anything on the PS2 in America ever again?[/QUOTE]

Well it looks like King of Fighters Neowave is coming out on the PS2, but Sony really seems to hate 2D games now, which is sad.

I waiting too long & very very very long to see the light of (2D) Samurai Shodown hit the US shore since Samurai Shodown 1 (SNES) & Samurai Shodown 3 (PS1). I can't wait to play this game on XBOX and hope SNK bring Samurai 1, 2, 3, 4 & RPG in 1 classic collection ;)

[quote name='SDC']So is SNKPlaymore release anything on the PS2 in America ever again?[/QUOTE]

Seriously doubt it. Ever since SvC Chaos was canned in the U.S. for the PS2, SNK jumped ship to the Xbox.

[quote name='Masterkyo']I waiting too long & very very very long to see the light of (2D) Samurai Shodown hit the US shore since Samurai Shodown 1 (SNES) & Samurai Shodown 3 (PS1). I can't wait to play this game on XBOX and hope SNK bring Samurai 1, 2, 3, 4 & RPG in 1 classic collection ;)[/QUOTE]

I doubt we'll see a collection of the older games, but after playing a good bit of SamSho 5 Special, I felt like it was the best one in the series (I really loved it.) So I'm satisfied that we'll (finally) be getting a perfect SamSho port.

[quote name='The VGM']Pretty sure $30 is the normal price...[/QUOTE]

Amazon has 'em listed for $40 though and they claimed that $30 was a discounted price, so better safe than sorry in case Amazon is right.

[quote name='The VGM']Pretty sure $30 is the normal price...[/QUOTE]

It's possible, but KOF 2002/2003 and Neowave are currently set to retail at $39.99 when they release. Metal Slug 4/5 and KOF: Maximum Impact Maniax still cost 40 bucks as well.

In 2007 as budget titles, according to US President of SNK Ben Herman.

Dont hold your breath on these games coming out this year, actually early 2006 is looking more like the right time frame for 94, SS5, and NeoWave

hopefully they also bring MOW over with the 30 dollar price. I would take that over anything they have released in the states so far

[quote name='CaseyRyback']hopefully they also bring MOW over with the 30 dollar price. I would take that over anything they have released in the states so far[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah, MOW was arguably the best SNK game ever. Though really, I'm not sure it'll come over here seeing as how it was previously released on the Dreamcast. Still, wishful thinking has me hoping that MOW and Last Blade Collection will come over here so I don't have to import them.

[quote name='Chacrana']Hell yeah, MOW was arguably the best SNK game ever. Though really, I'm not sure it'll come over here seeing as how it was previously released on the Dreamcast. Still, wishful thinking has me hoping that MOW and Last Blade Collection will come over here so I don't have to import them.[/QUOTE]

getting to play it online would definately make it worthy of a second purchase IMO. Especially if they brought over the red neo stick

I played SS V in the arcades here once in wasn't that popular it didn't feel to good after play serveral matches also. It's all about old school! Seems a bit rushed and unbalanced so I'm holding of the 30 for this one!

So the msrp on both of these will be $40? Nice deal to get them for $30 each as a preorder, wish they came with some give aways though.

[quote name='Arikado']Seriously doubt it. Ever since SvC Chaos was canned in the U.S. for the PS2, SNK jumped ship to the Xbox.[/QUOTE]
It was well before that, before the release of Metal Slug 3 and KoF 00/01. SCEA has been giving SNK shit for years, they wouldn't allow KoF 00/01 to come over without being bundled together, and wouldn't let them release Metal Slug 3 at all on PS2. They would much rather release their games on PS2 since they would get better sales, but MS is treating them right, and I'm glad they're on Xbox.

SCEA does not like 2d games. Nippon Ichi even considering a single Xbox 360 game is evidence of that.

i don't blame Sony for not allowing SvC: Chaos to come out on the PS2. it's a horrible game and they recognized it. and i also don't blame them for making SNK bundle the KOF's. no one in their right mind should have to pay $40 for a single KOF when they're essentially the same year-in, year-out. i dunno about the MS3 blockade, though. i was actually looking forward to that. yea, instead we get MS4/5. :rolls eyes:

oh, and neither of these two releases are worth $30. at least not KOF '94. it's my fav. KOF ever but it's just not worth buying at $30.

[quote name='ZR0 Limit']oh, and neither of these two releases are worth $30. at least not KOF '94. it's my fav. KOF ever but it's just not worth buying at $30.[/QUOTE]

KOF 94 is ridiculously bad if you compare it to the ones that came after it. KOF peaked in 98 and went downhill after that.

Ahhh, the good old arcade days.

[quote name='dafoomie']It was well before that, before the release of Metal Slug 3 and KoF 00/01. SCEA has been giving SNK shit for years, they wouldn't allow KoF 00/01 to come over without being bundled together, and wouldn't let them release Metal Slug 3 at all on PS2. They would much rather release their games on PS2 since they would get better sales, but MS is treating them right, and I'm glad they're on Xbox.

SCEA does not like 2d games. Nippon Ichi even considering a single Xbox 360 game is evidence of that.[/QUOTE]

This is so laughable.

SCEA does not like 2d games, but Sony sure has more 2d games on it's system than either Microsoft or Nintendo in the US.

SCEA just does not like 2d games that look like ass to retail for 40 - 50 dollars... I applaud them in making SNK release bundle packs. SNK wanted to release MS 3 but had nothing to bundle it with at the time, and didn't want to wait around.

SNK has had the same quality graphics on their games for 4 generations now, it's gotten kind of ridiculous. They switched to Neowave but the improvements are still not what they should be.

I can't wait to see SNK's games really taking advantage of PS3 and Xbox 360 :roll:

I enjoy their games alot, but to defend them just isn't worth it anymore, they are waaaay behind the times these days.

Oh man, you guys need to come to Japan!

Just recently I picked up (all for PS2, btw):

KOF 94 with Neo Geo Pad 2 (the Neo Geo CD controller for PS2.....BEST....CONTROLLER....EVER) for about $35
KOF Neowave for about $60 (yeah, new games are pricey here)
FF: MOTW w/GIANT Neo Geo Stick for only $35!!! They accidently charged me the price of just the game! The set was marked 7700 yen (about $80 or so) but the guy kept telling me to wait when he scanned it, and some other dude came over and they rang it up lower. *shrug* No complaints here!

Samurai Showdown V has been out for a while here too. I might get it next week. Oh and the Vampire (Darkstalkers) Collection too. And the Guilty Gear X/XX remixes. Haha, I love Japan!

The lack of English in the story parts does kinda blow however....

Oh just a heads up, KOF Neowave is slightly disappointing. Its still the same rehashed graphics (I was expecting something a bit nicer, seeing how it came out on Atomiswave) and there's NO story whatsoever. But it does have a great character roster so maybe its worth checkin out.

Oh and "The Rumble Fish" is fucking amazing. Check it out.

KOF Neowave is almost the same game as KOF2002.

and i dont think Rumble Fish 2 has made it to this side of the pond yet

[quote name='akilshohen']the people at gamestop seemed to try to push every SNK game coming out on XBOX when I was looking for MS4/5[/QUOTE]

Funny, people that work at video game stores around me push for Soul Caliber 3. Whenever I went to purchase KOF 2K2 and 2K3 bundle and the 2K and 2K1 bundle I get a strange vide. Once they asked me "Why do you play these old looking games when you could play better looking games?"

[quote name='Roufuss']This is so laughable.

SCEA does not like 2d games, but Sony sure has more 2d games on it's system than either Microsoft or Nintendo in the US.

SCEA just does not like 2d games that look like ass to retail for 40 - 50 dollars... I applaud them in making SNK release bundle packs. SNK wanted to release MS 3 but had nothing to bundle it with at the time, and didn't want to wait around.

SNK has had the same quality graphics on their games for 4 generations now, it's gotten kind of ridiculous. They switched to Neowave but the improvements are still not what they should be.

I can't wait to see SNK's games really taking advantage of PS3 and Xbox 360 :roll:

I enjoy their games alot, but to defend them just isn't worth it anymore, they are waaaay behind the times these days.[/QUOTE]
The only thing laughable here is your quote.

SCEA does not like 2d games. They don't think they will appeal to the American market, regardless of price point. Some examples of this, other than SNK games, are Vib Ribbon, Goemon, Dodonpachi, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, Broken Sword 3, Curse: Eye of the Isis, Shadow Tower: Abyss, Ys 1+2, Syberia 1+2, and many more. They made Working Designs bundle Growlanser 3 and 4, but they let Bandai release 4 short ass Dot Hack games separately, that by all rights should just be one game? If its "quality" they care about, maybe they'd "protect" us from Turok, BMX XXX, Drome Racers, and the other garbage 3d games that got through.

If you're looking at graphics on SNK games, then you're missing the point completely. Its about gameplay.

Good point dafoomie. I've heard so much bitching about how SNK should update their graphics that I'm done trying to explain that it's not graphics that make the game. But that's all it boils down to in America and video game media here.

[quote name='dafoomie']The only thing laughable here is your quote.

SCEA does not like 2d games. They don't think they will appeal to the American market, regardless of price point. Some examples of this, other than SNK games, are Vib Ribbon, Goemon, Dodonpachi, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, Broken Sword 3, Curse: Eye of the Isis, Shadow Tower: Abyss, Ys 1+2, Syberia 1+2, and many more. They made Working Designs bundle Growlanser 3 and 4, but they let Bandai release 4 short ass Dot Hack games separately, that by all rights should just be one game? If its "quality" they care about, maybe they'd "protect" us from Turok, BMX XXX, Drome Racers, and the other garbage 3d games that got through.

If you're looking at graphics on SNK games, then you're missing the point completely. Its about gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Pretty amazing, since Sony gave Alien Hominid the OK - I guess they must really hate 2D games from unknown companies. How many of those games you listed can you actually prove Sony did not ok, and why? The only one I know of is Dodonpachi, because Agetec wanted to charge 40 to 50 bucks for it, and Sony said it would just rot on the shelves and no one would buy it, and to lower the price. Agetec couldn't afford to, so they decided not to bring it over.

When games like Gradius V and R-Type Final both come out, with an MSRP of 29.99, and are critically acclaimed, you're going to need one hell of a shmup to qualify that 49.99 price tag. Sadly, most games can't. I'm not going to assume whether you've worked in video game retail or not, but shelf space is *very* limited... that game that maybe you or I would buy at 50, will waste space on 90% of retailers shelves, and that space could be better used for something that will sell.

It is too bad Gradius V didn't have amazing sales, because it could have opened the door for any shmup to come through... almost how Disgaea's amazing run away success, or Nocturne's, have opened the door now to very similar games.

And with SNK, no, it's not about the graphics, but when your average consumer can play something like Guilty Gear XX or Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, they aren't going to want to go back to SNK's outdated stuff. It's almost funny: if a company kept using outdated 3D graphics for it's games, it would get slammed repeatedly.

Sony can see this - hell, even as a bundle pack, games like King of Fighters 2000 / 2001 still sold very poorly... why should Sony believe something like KoF: Neowave would have amazing sales? Hell, even Max Impact flopped, so Sony probably believes that any SNK game has such a limited audience that it will just take up valuable space.

Games like BMX XXX and Turok actually sell to the casual gamer - you'd be very surprised what kind of shit people will buy just based on hype. I've sold out of Darkwatch already this week, just because people "liked the commercial". Hell, one guy thought it was like Splinter Cell, for some odd reason =/ (Yea, he still bought it, even after me telling him it was an FPS).

And I know all about SNK's gameplay... I've been a fan since I was a kid, and actually preferred Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting over Street Fighter. I was just playing devil's advocate, since people seem so shocked that Sony couldn't possibly let SNK bring out a game with limited sales for $50. And, imo, SNK's gameplay stagnated until 2003, when KoF finally took a turn for the better.

Maybe if they started offering games themselves through their web site, Sony wouldn't care. This way it would more than likely be going to fans, and SNK can charge whatever they want to, without taking up shelf space.

Also, Sony made WD bundle Growlanser 2 and 3 because 2 is such a short game, they felt that it wasn't worth paying for on it's own, and that people might not buy 3 after going through 2 and being disappointed. The Dot. Hack games were a bit longer I believe, and had some extras... I remember the first one being around 15 20 hours. It was the first and last .Hack game I played.

[quote name='Roufuss']Pretty amazing, since Sony gave Alien Hominid the OK - I guess they must really hate 2D games from unknown companies. How many of those games you listed can you actually prove Sony did not ok, and why? The only one I know of is Dodonpachi, because Agetec wanted to charge 40 to 50 bucks for it, and Sony said it would just rot on the shelves and no one would buy it, and to lower the price. Agetec couldn't afford to, so they decided not to bring it over.[/QUOTE]
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/12/news_6110387.html
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=98188
http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2004/2/18-70
http://www.insertcredit.com/news/e3_2003/nec/
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/501/501700p1.html
http://www.shacknews.com/news_archive_overview.x/2004/3/15

Alien Hominid was a popular flash game before it was on a console. It helps to have numbers on your side.

Viewtiful Joe was initially rejected by SCEA, then it had good sales on GC, and about a year later it came out for PS2.

Syberia, Syberia 2, Curse, and Broken Sword 3 all came out in Europe on PS2, but not here. Why? SCEA doesn't think 2d adventure games will sell. Similar situation with Still Life, they ended up cancelling the PS2 version altogether.

The bigger companies like Capcom have the clout to get their 2d or niche games published here. "You don't want to release Viewtiful Joe or Killer 7? Well, I guess we don't really have to make the new Resident Evil for your system, either."

[quote name='"Roufuss"']Games like BMX XXX and Turok actually sell to the casual gamer - you'd be very surprised what kind of shit people will buy just based on hype.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, BMX XXX and Turok really sold great for Acclaim, didn't they? They were still sitting on piles of these when they went bankrupt.

[quote name='"Roufuss"']Maybe if they started offering games themselves through their web site, Sony wouldn't care. This way it would more than likely be going to fans, and SNK can charge whatever they want to, without taking up shelf space.[/QUOTE]
They can't, if SCEA won't allow them to publish the game here. Having a game approved doesn't automatically mean that stores will carry your game. This is because stores tend to pick and choose which games they want to sell. They don't just get 10,000 copies of every game that comes out. You can't give away your game for free without getting approval from SCEA.

It should be noted that SCEA also rejected Tales of Symphonia for PS2, Policenauts for PS1, and a collection of all the Langrisser games for PS1.

I hope MS and Nintendo do better this gen, just to give companies leverage over SCEA.

yeah... sony pissed me off a while ago when SvC Chaos was denied release on the PS2 in the states... thats a partial reason why I bought an xbox (which i regret, but sold the xbox, which I no longer regret).

I like what you had to say rodimus about the fact that too many people nowadays stress on how important graphics are... really if you think about it, our generation of gaming has a large focus on graphics (since I consider the gaming industry to still be in its baby stages)... with the PS3 comming out graphics will start to not be a problem anymore (or at least with the PS4). Eventually people are going to really nag about good gameplay over graphics... but then again, I'm probly wrong, since I am talking about the US.

damn media people...

and is it just me, or do the majority of gamestop and/or ebgames employees seem annoying?

Rolento - We share the same emotion torwrds gaming. SNK should keep doing what they're doing. I love the fact that they create games for the hardcore 2D fighter and not the "casual" gamer. I don't care if they don't sell massive amounts of games, as long as they still make 2D fighters, I'll still support them by buying them. I imagine in years to come they will own the 2D fighting market, since Capcom seems to have abandoned it.

[quote name='dafoomie']It should be noted that SCEA also rejected Tales of Symphonia for PS2, Policenauts for PS1, and a collection of all the Langrisser games for PS1.

I hope MS and Nintendo do better this gen, just to give companies leverage over SCEA.[/QUOTE]

Just for the "Policenauts" bit I wish I could beat the SHIT out of SCEA. Anyway with "Tales Of Symphonia" I think it's great. If Sony wants to screw themselves over so be it.
With some of those adventure games you mentioned they're 3D just with prerendered backgrounds. I like PC Adventure games and pretty much think they're the only Western market PC developed games worth a damn. Me? I think 10 thou. FPS's with no fucking story and only slightly varying gameplay in some I'll pass on.
I think XS has made smart decisions porting these games to XBox even if it is Western PC syndrome. Too bad XS are about the dumbest fucking budget game company other than that. "I" could run XS better than XS who could learn from Majesco.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I don't care if they don't sell massive amounts of games, as long as they still make 2D fighters, I'll still support them by buying them.[/QUOTE]
and this is why they (and plenty of other companies) continue to put out the same rehashed product year in and year out. because they know that you people will buy anything they throw at you. even if it's a flaming pile of shit.

[quote name='Sarang01']Just for the "Policenauts" bit I wish I could beat the SHIT out of SCEA. Anyway with "Tales Of Symphonia" I think it's great. If Sony wants to screw themselves over so be it.[/quote]
i don't see how they're screwing themselves over if you're the one that isn't getting anything out of it. and just so you know, Hideo Kojima said somewhere (probably EGM) that he wasn't planning on touching the Snatcher/Policenaut games in terms of localizing it. so we all lose, again. if you're so desperate to play these games, import them.

[quote name='ZR0 Limit']and this is why they (and plenty of other companies) continue to put out the same rehashed product year in and year out. because they know that you people will buy anything they throw at you. even if it's a flaming pile of shit.
[/QUOTE]

:rofl: Are you related to VGM?

yea, it's a real LOLLERCAUST because it's true. the novelty of a yearly KOF died a long time ago but they keep making it happen because people keep shelling out the cash to support the same game they played the year before. why do you think they churn out pointless sequels like the Dream Matches? i'll give them credit for trying to change things up (2003), but to do it every year (except this one) is way too excessive.

i don't know why my post was so funny when Mario Party proves that you people will continue to buy the newest installment of whatever shit they put in front of you. and just because you can get it new and cheap at EB for $5.76 a/c, free saver shipping, etc., doesn't make it less of a problem. the problem is that people are STILL buying it.

but that's just me, and that's not the point. the point is that SS5 and KOF '94: RB aren't worth buying at $30. if you're really into overpaying for stuff, i've got a half-used can of air for sell that i'm willing to let go at the cheap price of $15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back