Save $20+ On Wii At EBGamestop By...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaine

CAGiversary!
Paying off your pre-order.

Not sure if everyone knows this, but if only one person is informed - it's worth the while. The way sales tax is calculated, store credit (which your pre-order is) is subtracted before sales tax is assessed. Which means if you're getting a Wii and a 2nd Wiimote/Nunchuku, you'd be paying (at PA's 7% tax) $21.70 in sales tax. Obviously it'll be higher in some states.

Paying it off before November 19th will allow you to duck out on sales tax.

Normally this only works for trade-ins or if you have a lot of credit, but for anything that's not been released, if you have pre-order you can keep on slapping cash on it and it's considered store credit. After the system is released, you're just paying for the system and sales tax will be assessed.

Obviously this works for anything you pre-order (games), but it'll only be $5 or so.

This becomes an even better deal the more stuff you buy. If you were to get the system, 3 wiimote/nunchukus and a game, you'd save almost $40... the cost of another game.

So - if you have a pre-order, put as much money down on it as you can, because you'll wind up saving in the long run.

Please note that this is not universal. Some states do not tax store credit, others do. Ohio does not let you get by with this, so when I pay for the Wii with store credit, I was charged $268.74 in store credit.

Yeah, I traded in a ton of stuff and only put like $110 down in cash and the clerk told me the Wii was fully paid off.

Yet when I went back with my receipts I tried to add it all up I swear I was short like $10 but he told me it was paid off.

Someone at the PA boards told me it was something to do with sales tax, I assume this it's the same thing you just said.

[quote name='botticus']Please note that this is not universal. Some states do not tax store credit, others do. Ohio does not let you get by with this, so when I pay for the Wii with store credit, I was charged $268.74 in store credit.[/quote]

I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. I can personally confirm in PA, though, store credit modifies the price of the item - not the total.

Meaning paying $249.99 in cash on your pre-order will drop the price of the item to $0.00, from which sales tax is then assessed.

But it looks like, YMMV.

[quote name='ShimSham'] Someone at the PA boards told me it was something to do with sales tax, I assume this it's the same thing you just said.[/quote]

Basically, yeah. I didn't know this was a state-to-state thing. My girlfriend the accountant told me the other day that, basically, any 'coupons' are assessed before tax and that this is technically the same thing.

In MN, store credit from trade-in's is not taxed, but any part paid directly with real money is still taxed even if you paid it off ahead of time. So I believe that trick would only work if you paid off the whole system with trade credit, though that might vary from state to state.

You can do the same by camping out at Target and getting their Target card.

This is what I'm sorta planning on doing.

'Course this is a different beast than your option.

it just depends on which state you live in. In Virginia you get tax added to your trade in credit. They don't actually do it until you pay for something. So if you get 20 bucks in credits and go buy a 25 dollar game with it you only pay 5.25 in cash because you'll get the $1.00 in tax on the $20 bucks. Kinda confusing, but whenever you preorder only pay the retail price, don't say you want to pay off the full amount, just say, 49.99 or 249.99, normally when the credit is applied (in most states that is) you don't have to pay sales tax.

[quote name='Strell']You can do the same by camping out at Target and getting their Target card.

This is what I'm sorta planning on doing.

'Course this is a different beast than your option.[/QUOTE]

Is it the first time you use the credit card, or on the day you sign up for it?

I think I remmeber trying to do this and didn't work I guess I'll call up and see if I can get a way with it.

[quote name='BrandonOne']Is it the first time you use the credit card, or on the day you sign up for it?[/QUOTE]

You should be able to save 10% on your first purchase, and I'm pretty sure you can sign up for it and use it immediately.

I mean, they always ask me "Would you like to save 10% off this purchase?"

I keep thinking I just bought some fucking deodorant. I can deal with not saving 30 cents.

This is a really great tip Blaine, I will have to see if this works in my state. It will realy make a difference to those who preorder a PS3. Almost a free game!
I dare say this should be stickied, but it would be kind of awkward to sticky a tip. ;P
Too bad this site doesnt have rep points or I would give ya one.

[quote name='mofo1115']Hey blaine, what ebgamestop did you preorder your wii at? just wondering[/quote]

The South Hills Village EB (There's one of each in that mall).

[quote name='Strell']You should be able to save 10% on your first purchase, and I'm pretty sure you can sign up for it and use it immediately.

I mean, they always ask me "Would you like to save 10% off this purchase?"

I keep thinking I just bought some fucking deodorant. I can deal with not saving 30 cents.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm doing the same thing. What happens is that you sign up for the card. And if you get approved, they print you a temp card on a receipt-- basically a UPC code that gets scanned until the real card comes. Also, to note, to anyone wanting launch day to go as smooth as possible, you can get approved for the card and choose to use the 10% another day (At least it was like that when I worked at Target a year and a half ago)

Just so you know a pre-order is not store credit. It's however you payed for the order. Your cash is still cash in the system. You will not save any money by paying off the system early. The deposit is not directly tied to an item like you might think it is. So when you pay 249.99 in cash, EBGS is just holding your money for you. Then when the system becomes ready to be purchased, EBGS applies your deposit to the purchase. You would still owe the tax. The only way to avoid tax is to use trade in credit in the states that don't tax the credit.

I think your girlfriend made a mistake or is slightly misled.

I haven't worked at GameStop in over a year, so don't take what I'm about to say as gospel.

When I was working there, there were two kinds of credit: store credit and trade-in credit. Store credit operated just like cash, simply subtracting it's sum from the post-tax total, providing no real advantage. Trade-in credit on the other hand would sbtract from the pre-tax total, and tax would only apply to the remaining balance, if any.

If it still operates this way, then those of you who simply walked in and paid cash for your deposit are not saving any money by paying off your pre-order early. Only by accumulating trade-in credit will you benefit.

[quote name='Callandor']In MN, store credit from trade-in's is not taxed, but any part paid directly with real money is still taxed even if you paid it off ahead of time. So I believe that trick would only work if you paid off the whole system with trade credit, though that might vary from state to state.[/QUOTE]

That's not entirely true. The Gamestop in Coon Rapids charges sales tax on store credit. I actually got into a pretty lengthy ordeal with the store, their manager, the district manager, and customer service about getting my money back for the tax I was charged on my DS Lite I bought with store credit. I ended up getting the money back.

At the time they claimed it was both a change in company policy and an error of their new computer system. Interestingly enough though, its the only gamestop or EB in MN where I've run into this problem since then so I have no idea what their deal is. I went back once since then and bought something with store credit and was once again charged tax (although this time I didn't care cause they screwed something else up that went in my favor so it all kind of balanced out). Its of little consequence to me now though as I now just go the EB a couple blocks away instead. A lot better people working there and I don't get charged sales tax on my store credit.

Thanks for the info OP. I already found this out speaking with spectreon, which is why I payed mine off in full with store credit. I also will be doing the same for my Gears of War:LE.

couldn't you just buy a gift card or something and apply that to your preorder?
would that be the same thing?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']That's not entirely true. The Gamestop in Coon Rapids charges sales tax on store credit. I actually got into a pretty lengthy ordeal with the store, their manager, the district manager, and customer service about getting my money back for the tax I was charged on my DS Lite I bought with store credit. I ended up getting the money back.[/QUOTE]

You live near a place named Coon Rapids? Seriously?

Is it anywhere near Lynchburg?

[quote name='tayaf69']Completely paid off the system in TN, but still had to pay sales tax. Oh well.[/quote]

I was wondering if it would have worked here. I knew they didn't charge tax when using trade credit, but not paying tax for pre-orders when using cash seemed too good to be true.

I'm in KS, and when I preordered mine, I paid the whole thing off, and they only charged me the $249.99. I suppose I'll have to wait until the 19th to see if they actually charge me tax. I'm trying to remember if they charged me tax for the DS Lite preorder, but I'd have to actually look at the receipt.

Bah - when I saw this title I thought it was a coupon or trade-in trick or something. I live in OR, so this info is totally useless to me.

But just to add something to the discussion, I have noticed different policies in different states with respect to trade-in credit. I know in Virginia, at Blockbuster, anyway, you actually get tax ADDED to your trade-ins. That completely blew me away. So when trading in games at a profit you actually geta boost from sales tax: game costs $10 at TRU ($10.50 with tax), trades for $24 at BB, but you actually get $25.20 in trade credit. So you can actually PROFIT off the tax - unbelievable. In Maryland, however, where the tax rate is the same, they don't give you the tax on trade-ins. It seems that when I traded at EB's in both states they didn't give the tax back - maybe because they treat the trade-in credit as tax-free at EB there. I dunno...

Also, when I bought something using trade credit at Blockbuster in GA, I had to pay their stupid sales tax. Like I want to give money to fucking Georgia. :lol:

Basically, I htink this might work in some places, but it will vary state-to-state (and store-to-store, though all EB/GS should be the same in one state I'd think - but, for example, GR and EB might operate differently in the same state).

[quote name='io']Also, when I bought something using trade credit at Blockbuster in GA, I had to pay their stupid sales tax. Like I want to give money to fucking Georgia. :lol:[/QUOTE]

The people of the great state of Georgia applaud you for your selfless donation, sir.

:applause:

[quote name='Tybee']The people of the great state of Georgia applaud you for your selfless donation, sir.

:applause:[/QUOTE]

It's funny, but when I lived in CA and AZ, I never gave a second thought to sales tax. But once you get used to not having to pay it, it becomes extremely annoying when you travel and get stuck with it - you think about the people in those states leaching off of you, and it pisses you off :D.

[quote name='io']It's funny, but when I lived in CA and AZ, I never gave a second thought to sales tax. But once you get used to not having to pay it, it becomes extremely annoying when you travel and get stuck with it - you think about the people in those states leaching off of you, and it pisses you off :D.[/QUOTE]

Well, to be fair, you used our airport, our roads, and our utilities, so quit complaining.

I paid mine in full and used mostly store credit ($263.50) and still had tax on it.

The individual items showed up as the price with tax, rather than having tax added at the bottom as on most receipts.

[quote name='Tybee']Well, to be fair, you used our airport, our roads, and our utilities, so quit complaining.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, my company more than paid for that - for one, they are based there. And second, they paid for my rental car, hotel, food for a week, etc, all with mucho tax. I don't care if the company pays for it - just that $2 on Metroid Prime Hunters that I had to pay for that pisses me off :D.

[quote name='io']Yeah, well, my company more than paid for that - for one, they are based there. And second, they paid for my rental car, hotel, food for a week, etc, all with mucho tax. I don't care if the company pays for it - just that $2 on Metroid Prime Hunters that I had to pay for that pisses me off :D.[/QUOTE]

For Pete's sake...You should get a Cheap Ass Gamer Gold Star. :roll:

Incidentally, what were you doing swapping games on company time, hmmmm?

[quote name='Tybee']For Pete's sake...You should get a Cheap Ass Gamer Gold Star. :roll:

Incidentally, what were you doing swapping games on company time, hmmmm?[/QUOTE]

Hey, I worked all day, then hit up the wealth of Gamerush's in the Atlanta area in the evening - no company time involved :D. Since I was traveling I had all that free time. Actually, all I did was buy Metroid Prime Hunters since the preorder at my GR never came in. Anyway, enough off-topicness from us I think.

The point is this trick might work, but it is going to depend on the state. I would suggest people in WA come down to OR to buy one - but they already know that.

Interesting tidbit. I didn't pay any sales tax on my GS Wii preorder of $50 + $5 for a game. However, I DID pay sales tax on my FYE Wii preorder of $50 + $5 for a game. I wonder if this is a store-by-store thing as well as a state by state, or if I when I pay off the Wii in full at GS I'll pay tax on the full $250.

Ah, Michigan. Thou art an enigma to me.

[quote name='Callandor']In MN, store credit from trade-in's is not taxed, but any part paid directly with real money is still taxed even if you paid it off ahead of time. So I believe that trick would only work if you paid off the whole system with trade credit, though that might vary from state to state.[/QUOTE]

So would a gift card be store credit?

Drop in buy a gift card with say $200 on it and then the next day apply it to the Wii.... Violi.

I don't think they tax store credit. I payed for zelda and red steel with store credit and payed 49.99 each. I also payed of $122 of my wii preorder with store credit and only paid $257 total for my wii preorder in hazleton PA's EB games.

[quote name='mofo1115']I completely paid off my wii at the eb in squirrel hill. I don't think they tax on store credit.[/QUOTE]

Coon Rapids? Squirrel Hill?

I feel like I've been transported into Emmett Otter's Jug Band fucking Christmas.

[quote name='Tybee']Coon Rapids? Squirrel Hill?

I feel like I've been transported into Emmett Otter's Jug Band fucking Christmas.[/QUOTE]
Nice :lol:

I paid $638.99 for my PS3 and $266.24 for my Wii, that doesn't fly in Florida.

But seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you people? Has this place suddenly become "stingy ass scammer"? Tax evasion is a crime where I'm from.

[quote name='onacouch']I paid $638.99 for my PS3 and $266.24 for my Wii, that doesn't fly in Florida.

But seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you people? Has this place suddenly become "stingy ass scammer"? Tax evasion is a crime where I'm from.[/QUOTE]

This is not tax evasion. It is using loopholes in the law. You don't think the top 1% earners in this country just pay the tax bill Uncle Sam sends them, do you? They take every exemption they can. Do you actually like a 5%-9% premium added to everything you buy? I sure as hell don't.

If you want to talk about law breaking, where I come from (Earth) it is against international law to torture detainees(Geneva Conventions) and invade other independent countries without reason (UN Charter). Also where I come from (America) it is illegal to perform warrantless wiretaps (FISA Act), detain people indefinitely without charge (Bill of Rights), and to molest young boys (common fucking decentcy), and to violate ethics laws in taking bribes for legislation (various campaign finance laws as well as House and Senate ethics rules), but the party currently in power does all that on a regular basis. If I can prevent one less cent from going to this government, to be used to these ends, count me happy.

So like the super wealthy, I will take every chance to lower my tax burden. Not just because I am a CAG, but because I object on a moral basis as to what those taxes are being used to, not unlike my forefathers that threw off the tyranny of Britain in the 1700s, for those same reasons. So if I can save what will ammount to over $320 (8% tax on $4,000) not only will my bank account be in better shape, my conscience will have less of a burden.

Sorry for the rant, nothing against you personally, your words just pissed me off.

Yeah dude, I just paid off my Wii the other day. They still charged me a little tax or something, but I'm not complaining--$255 for the Wii, with money down on Red Steel and a controller. :)

Note that below is only for when you do a cash preorder, and it's been a while since I've tested it but bear with me and try it out.

I think some folks are missing this, it's actually the way Eb and GS POS systems are setup, if you walk in and say you want a full preorder on something, you're probably going to pay taxes. Why? Because the guy hits a different button on the screen that says full preorder and then tax gets put on top of that. If you walk in and say I want to put exactly 49.99 down on a game that lists for 49.99 you will not pay taxes when it rings up on the day you pick up your pre-order. I bought $300 in gamecube games on launch day this way. I didn't pay a dollar in taxes because of the way the system works. It's a glitch in their system, because of the way they put items on a receipt, when the preordered item comes up on the receipt they subtract the deposited amount from that individual product's cost, and then apply taxes to the end result.

What they should be doing is applying your deposit to the total of the receipt.

If you use credit it's a little different, because sometimes you get tax money back on credit in some states and sometimes you don't.

Eitherway, when you preorder just tell them to put the list price down as your deposit, be specific like $59.99 and I am pretty damn sure, like 99%, that you will never pay taxes on it because of the way they process the deposit when you pick up a title. Are you guys following me?

[quote name='Tebunker']Note that below is only for when you do a cash preorder, and it's been a while since I've tested it but bear with me and try it out.

I think some folks are missing this, it's actually the way Eb and GS POS systems are setup, if you walk in and say you want a full preorder on something, you're probably going to pay taxes. Why? Because the guy hits a different button on the screen that says full preorder and then tax gets put on top of that. If you walk in and say I want to put exactly 49.99 down on a game that lists for 49.99 you will not pay taxes when it rings up on the day you pick up your pre-order. I bought $300 in gamecube games on launch day this way. I didn't pay a dollar in taxes because of the way the system works. It's a glitch in their system, because of the way they put items on a receipt, when the preordered item comes up on the receipt they subtract the deposited amount from that individual product's cost, and then apply taxes to the end result.

What they should be doing is applying your deposit to the total of the receipt.

If you use credit it's a little different, because sometimes you get tax money back on credit in some states and sometimes you don't.

Eitherway, when you preorder just tell them to put the list price down as your deposit, be specific like $59.99 and I am pretty damn sure, like 99%, that you will never pay taxes on it because of the way they process the deposit when you pick up a title. Are you guys following me?[/quote]
If that were the case, wouldn't I have credit left over if I paid the full taxed amount on a preorder? i.e. it subtracts 53.84 from 49.99, and comes up with a negative number. Similarly in the case of the Wii where I paid $268 in credit, I should end up with $19 in the negative realm.

I live in Lincoln, Nebraska. I paid exactly $65... 50 for the Wii, 10 for an extra wiimote, and 5 for Excite Truck. On the receipt, these amounts show up as deposits. Based on everything I've read, it's my understanding that if I go in there this weekend, I could ask to deposit $270 of the remaining $275 I owe, then on the big day, go in there and pay $5 plus 6.5% tax on THAT $5. If this is wrong, let me know.

[quote name='zaxo']I live in Lincoln, Nebraska. I paid exactly $65... 50 for the Wii, 10 for an extra wiimote, and 5 for Excite Truck. On the receipt, these amounts show up as deposits. Based on everything I've read, it's my understanding that if I go in there this weekend, I could ask to deposit $270 of the remaining $275 I owe, then on the big day, go in there and pay $5 plus 6.5% tax on THAT $5. If this is wrong, let me know.[/quote]That is incorrect, looking at my receipts from today. I put $5 down on Contact, and $27.xx down on Summon Night 2. When delivering the preorders, the cost of the game is taxed, and THEN the deposit is subtracted. In Summon Night 2's case, it is totalled at 29.99 + tax = 32.24, and then subtracts my $27.94 deposit, for a remaining balance of $4.30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back