Save Up to 60% on Anime TV & Movies + Spotlight Deals @ Amazon.com (Expires 7/26/10)

WTK

CAGiversary!

The Spotlight Deals this time include 36 pages of stuff including previously mentioned FUNimation releases. It also includes AnimEigo, Bandai / Honneamise, Geneon (incl. FUNi distro), Manga Ent., Media Blasters, Sony Pictures Home Ent., and Viz Media titles.

Here is the LINK to just the Blu-ray titles.

And here are some titles to throw out that people might have missed...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Brian9824']Just finished Season 2 of Kyo Kara Maoh last night. It was REALLY good :)[/QUOTE]

too bad funimation haven't licensed the third and final season due to lackluster sales of the first 2 :(

Which version of Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro should I grab? I remember there being some significant difference between the two versions...

I like all the Miyazaki movies to some degree and this is one of three I haven't seen.

Any recommendations beyond Miyazaki? The only things I've liked in years are Macross Frontier, Hajime no Ippo and I read One Piece every week.

I was thinking of taking the plunge on Champloo because when I was in college Bebop was the hottest thing. I'm one of those guys that bought $20 VHS tapes with three episodes back in the day and I just kind fell out of the scene somewhere along the way.

You know what I'd love to see again? Moldiver. I have some lazerdiscs of it...

[quote name='Broseph']I'm one of those guys that bought $20 VHS tapes with three episodes back in the day and I just kind fell out of the scene somewhere along the way.[/QUOTE]

was thinking about the other day - what was i think ever feeling those prices were reasonable?

Got Full Metal Alchemist S1,S2, and Samurai 7 Blu-Ray and Samurai Champloo on BR, went to best buy also ordered DB Box 1 and DBZ Kai bluray today since i went ahead and bit on dragon box 2 and 3 at best buy today

just started collecting anime and im trying build up a decent size collection and have a backlog of anime to keep me busy for awhile, full metal panic worth a buy?

Was thinking about getting the School Rumble Season 1 and 2 on DVD, seen a lot of people talking about it. Is it pretty good?

The DVD of Champloo is better. Kind of botched the transfer.

I'm waiting for DBZ to drop 10$ and under.... and I need them to make D-Greyman whole seasons. I started watching the subbed ones and got close to the end, and stopped watching because I was waiting for them to finish it. It's damn good!!

And is it me or is that the second FMP on sale? I need the first season.

[quote name='Mako1215']And is it me or is that the second FMP on sale? I need the first season.[/QUOTE]

third season I believe. Second as far as chronology goes. I know the first season is releasing on blu soon. Haven't watched personally but heard good things about the FMP series.

[quote name='cheapa$$']third season I believe. Second as far as chronology goes. I know the first season is releasing on blu soon. Haven't watched personally but heard good things about the FMP series.[/QUOTE]

I think fmuffu is #2?

[quote name='bardockkun']Bought all the Yu Yu Hakusho sets I was missing. I Feel I'm good on anime for a bit.[/QUOTE]

I loved that series. Watched it all in about 4 days.

[quote name='Mako1215']The DVD of Champloo is better. Kind of botched the transfer.

I'm waiting for DBZ to drop 10$ and under.... and I need them to make D-Greyman whole seasons. I started watching the subbed ones and got close to the end, and stopped watching because I was waiting for them to finish it. It's damn good!!

And is it me or is that the second FMP on sale? I need the first season.[/QUOTE]
Although the transfer isn't the best it still looks better then the DVD not to mention the audio is far better on the BR release.

[quote name='Mako1215']I loved that series. Watched it all in about 4 days.[/QUOTE]
112 episodes * ~20 minutes per episode / 4 days = ~9hrs of Yu Yu Hakusho per day... that's hardcore :)

Such a classic shounen action series. Enjoyed it as a kid and picked up the full series @$20/set a while ago from BB . Watched like 4 episodes a day for a month (it's hard to watch just one episode in a sitting). $14 a pop (or $56 for the whole series) is a great deal.

[quote name='styl3s']Although the transfer isn't the best it still looks better then the DVD[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't. It looks *worse* than the DVD, as has been stated multiple times. Detail has been lost, not gained.

Though yes, the audio is superior.

Gunbuster is a must see, especially if you like giant robots. For $26 and free shipping it's a steal.

[quote name='lilman']112 episodes * ~20 minutes per episode / 4 days = ~9hrs of Yu Yu Hakusho per day... that's hardcore :)
[/QUOTE]

That's about right. That's all I would watch.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']No, it doesn't. It looks *worse* than the DVD, as has been stated multiple times. Detail has been lost, not gained.

Though yes, the audio is superior.[/QUOTE]

I wish they did do a better job :( I can't find my DVD of it... Damn it.

[quote name='Mako1215']I think fmuffu is #2?[/QUOTE]

Fumoffu is filler, it's not a part of the series. That being said, it's opening music and video is pretty epic. It's funny enough and once they have S1 and S2 along with Fumoffu in one BR package I'll spend money on it. These "pieces" are always horribly overpriced. I wish they'd finish the manga and give us a final S3.

[quote name='ElfAngel7']Gunbuster is a must see, especially if you like giant robots. For $26 and free shipping it's a steal.[/QUOTE]

Hell yes it is! Everyone better buy Gunbuster; not only because it's amazing, but also because this is probably as cheap as it's ever going to get.

[quote name='starkillr']Fumoffu is filler, it's not a part of the series. That being said, it's opening music and video is pretty epic. It's funny enough and once they have S1 and S2 along with Fumoffu in one BR package I'll spend money on it. These "pieces" are always horribly overpriced.[/QUOTE]

1. Fumoffu was its own independent season, and considered to be season 2, whether you consider it "filler" or not. It's most definitely a part of the series, even if the focus was on comedy.

2. Don't expect these "pieces" to ever be collected. The first series was produced by an entirely different animation studio than Fumoffu and Second Raid. It's just not going to happen, for copyright reasons if nothing else.

i cant decide whether i should buy ouran host club BD or the slayers season 1-3 box set dvd.....any idea the slayers box set price is the lowest right now compare to the past deal?

[quote name='Astroranagun']i cant decide whether i should buy ouran host club BD or the slayers season 1-3 box set dvd.....any idea the slayers box set price is the lowest right now compare to the past deal?[/QUOTE]

I definitely bought Ouran Host at 28.49 yesterday on Bluray, great price for an awesome show. I never really got into Slayers much.

[quote name='the_punisher']Ergo Proxy worth $22?[/QUOTE]

I still have yet to finish it. Everything about it makes me want to like it, but it's extremely slow.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']1. Fumoffu was its own independent season, and considered to be season 2, whether you consider it "filler" or not. It's most definitely a part of the series, even if the focus was on comedy.

2. Don't expect these "pieces" to ever be collected. The first series was produced by an entirely different animation studio than Fumoffu and Second Raid. It's just not going to happen, for copyright reasons if nothing else.[/QUOTE]
I don't know about that. After all, ADV did it with Season 1 and Fumoffu, they called it the Heavy Metal Collection. Weather or not FUNi will do it is a completely different story, but it has slightly been done before.

[quote name='Mako1215']I loved that series. Watched it all in about 4 days.[/QUOTE]
Same here, ^5! :lol: I got my set 2 months ago though for about $24 each after waiting forever. I saw it as a kid and will always love this lame anime, I watched it all about 3 times now through out my life.

There's A LOT of anime I've been eying for a while in this sale but I'm doing my best to ignore this sale so my bank account stays sexy :p

Hey guys I have a question. Some of the series say Widescreen, some say Full-screen. When they mention just one, it means they only have one avaliable option, right?

[quote name='mitnosi']Hey guys I have a question. Some of the series say Widescreen, some say Full-screen. When they mention just one, it means they only have one avaliable option, right?[/QUOTE]

Correct.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Correct.[/QUOTE]
Damn, some of the ones I wanted are Full screen. I hate them damn bars :(

[quote name='mitnosi']Damn, some of the ones I wanted are Full screen. I hate them damn bars :([/QUOTE]

Don't let something as trivial as that keep you from enjoying a good show. It'd be a crime for them to crop a fullscreen anime to make it faux-widescreen (a-la the orange-box DBZ sets).

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Don't let something as trivial as that keep you from enjoying a good show. It'd be a crime for them to crop a fullscreen anime to make it faux-widescreen (a-la the orange-box DBZ sets).[/QUOTE]
Oh no, im not gonna let it keep me from watching a show, but I'll complain, sure :bouncy:

[quote name='the_punisher']Ergo Proxy worth $22?[/QUOTE]

Hugely interesting plot, solid characters, beautifully animated, great humor, and the action scenes are awesome and well paced -- amazing ending.

Some people call it slow but I don't know, it was really interesting every step of the way for me.

havent watched anime in a bit, this sale spurred my interest.
i picked up samurai 7 from bb this morning and was looking at getting heroic age and either claymore or champloo.
I saw the first couple disks of champloo a few years ago and really enjoyed it.
are either of those better picks? i know its highly subjective, just looking for a little guidance.

champloo is an easy recommendation to make, it's just plain great. claymore has a really badass setting but the action is pretty weakly animated and the dialogue is atrocious -- i wouldn't drop any money on it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']champloo is an easy recommendation to make, it's just plain great. claymore has a really badass setting but the action is pretty weakly animated and the dialogue is atrocious -- i wouldn't drop any money on it.[/QUOTE]

i appreciate the opinion. its hard to make desicions when i know nothing about the shows.
if you or anybody else has any other reccomendations im open to hearing them.
i want it on bluray and i dont want any sex/rape scenes.

[quote name='paz9x']i appreciate the opinion. its hard to make desicions when i know nothing about the shows.
if you or anybody else has any other reccomendations im open to hearing them.
i want it on bluray and i dont want any sex/rape scenes.[/QUOTE]

I know this isn't on Blu-ray, but it's an amazing show nonetheless. You should definitely consider purchasing Kurau Phantom Memory. Funimation is hosting the first four episodes on Youtube if you're unsure.

[quote name='paz9x']I saw the first couple disks of champloo a few years ago and really enjoyed it.
are either of those better picks? i know its highly subjective, just looking for a little guidance.[/QUOTE]
Champloo is great, def pick that one up.

My all-time fav anime is School Rumble and the complete series (54 episodes) is on sale for $26 (an amazing deal!). If you're like school-life comedy then you can't go wrong with Schoorum.
http://www.amazon.com/School-Rumble-Complete-Seasons-OVA/dp/B002R0LRJO/

thanks for the suggestions.
i havent seen a lot but my favorites are trigun, cowboy bebop, and fma.
from what ive seen. comedy and school based stuff is at the bottom of my anime interest.

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1] "Ouran High School Host Club: The Complete Series [Blu-ray]"
Caitlin Glass; Blu-ray; $26.99[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1] "Claymore: Complete Series Box Set [Blu-ray]"
Stephanie Young; Blu-ray; $29.49[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1] "Samurai Champloo: The Complete Series [Blu-ray]"
Kari Wahlgren; Blu-ray; $32.99[/SIZE][/FONT]

Couple of questions:
1. Any reason to get the separate Black Lagoon sets instead of the complete one? A steelbook or missing extras maybe?
2. Is the Viridian Collection of Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki the one to get? Does it have OVA3 and it's extras?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hostile']Couple of questions:
1. Any reason to get the separate Black Lagoon sets instead of the complete one? A steelbook or missing extras maybe?
2. Is the Viridian Collection of Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki the one to get? Does it have OVA3 and it's extras?[/QUOTE]

1. Well its 1:1 the same dvds/content...4DVDs in each steelbook (2DVDs each for Season 1/2 and 2DVDs for the Extras). Its a matter of taste if you prefer the steelbook or the thinpak version. The cardboard box of Black Lagoon is pretty flimsy, but you get all DVD covers and individual thinpaks. And its $10 cheaper :p

ended up with
samurai 7
samurai champloo
claymore
heroic age
might stop by best buy today and see if they have anything else of interest. the prices seem very close even with tax to amazon.

Samurai Champloo Blu-Ray, Shin-Chan season 2, and Witchblade Blu-Ray are very tempting. I already have the regular DVDs of Champloo and Witchblade though. Is there really that much of a difference in quality?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Samurai Champloo Blu-Ray, Shin-Chan season 2, and Witchblade Blu-Ray are very tempting. I already have the regular DVDs of Champloo and Witchblade though. Is there really that much of a difference in quality?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Champloo BDs are worse. They used a lot of DNR that ended up scrubbing the detail out of a lot of darker scenes. Keep the DVDs.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I already have the regular DVDs of Champloo and Witchblade though. Is there really that much of a difference in quality?[/QUOTE]

I have both versions of Witchblade. I wish I could take some pictures to show you a direct comparison, but my computer doesn't have a Blu-ray drive. The DVD version of Witchblade mainly suffers from being compressed. There are compression artifacts sometimes, and the whole show looks fuzzy. The Blu-ray version has more vibrant colors, and it doesn't suffer from the DVD's compression issues — it's smoother and more clear. Also, it should be noted that the size of your TV is a big factor in how noticeable either version's flaws are going to be. I'm using a 32 inch Samsung LCD TV.

There are probably more differences, but without being able to capture direct screenshots, I can only go off of what I can notice when switching between the discs.

[quote name='Razzuel']I have both versions of Witchblade. I wish I could take some pictures to show you a direct comparison, but my computer doesn't have a Blu-ray drive. The DVD version of Witchblade mainly suffers from being compressed. There are compression artifacts sometimes, and the whole show looks fuzzy. The Blu-ray version has more vibrant colors, and it doesn't suffer from the DVD's compression issues — it's smoother and more clear. Also, it should be noted that the size of your TV is a big factor in how noticeable either version's flaws are going to be. I'm using a 32 inch Samsung LCD TV.

There are probably more differences, but without being able to capture direct screenshots, I can only go off of what I can notice when switching between the discs.[/QUOTE]

Can you tell me if the "old" DVD Boxset is better than the new "remastered" version? Both have 5DVDs.

[quote name='RockJack']Can you tell me if the "old" DVD Boxset is better than the new "remastered" version? Both have 5DVDs.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I didn't even realize Funimation released a digitally remastered version of Witchblade on DVD (I guess it shouldn't be too surprising, since it was just released last month). I have the original DVD set; the DVDs that came in the silver slipcases. Well, since it's digitally remastered, that could mean a couple things. It could be that they used some filtering, noise reduction, and/or other techniques to produce a better picture separate from the Blu-ray version, or this could be the Blu-ray version but compressed and at DVD resolution, or they could of done the bare minimum to it and slapped that tag on the box with the hope that they can get some more sales out of Witchblade on DVD — it has been almost two years since a complete collection of Witchblade has been released on DVD.

Sorry, but there's really no way to know how it's going to look unless you buy it or hope that someone else buys it and thoroughly reviews it.

[quote name='Razzuel']Oh, I didn't even realize Funimation released a digitally remastered version of Witchblade on DVD (I guess it shouldn't be too surprising, since it was just released last month). I have the original DVD set; the DVDs that came in the silver slipcases. Well, since it's digitally remastered, that could mean a couple things. It could be that they used some filtering, noise reduction, and/or other techniques to produce a better picture separate from the Blu-ray version, or this could be the Blu-ray version but compressed and at DVD resolution, or they could of done the bare minimum to it and slapped that tag on the box with the hope that they can get some more sales out of Witchblade on DVD — it has been almost two years since a complete collection of Witchblade has been released on DVD.

Sorry, but there's really no way to know how it's going to look unless you buy it or hope that someone else buys it and thoroughly reviews it.[/QUOTE]

I just checked some shops and i could find a "scan" of the front of the newest Witchblade release...no "digitally remastered" mentioned on the cover :(.

Looks like its just the "resized" 6DVDs -> 5DVDs without the booklets and in a keepcase. Just the cover matches with the blu-ray-version.

If anybody can tell anything else, please do so.

bread's done
Back