Scammed by BUY.COM

Demix500

CAGiversary!
Feedback
81 (100%)
So I've been scammed by BUY.COM. This is the message I've submitted on resellerratings.com which should show up in 48 hours:

I made a $117.95 USD purchase off their ebay store buy.com last month (nov 28th. 2008) and frankly, buy.com is FRAUDULENT with NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT and they will FIGHT YOUR PAYPAL DISPUTE with no shame.

I purchased two Xbox Live Messenger Packs under one invoice with buy it now and I only received one in a small box barely even capable of fitting one Xbox live Messenger Pack. The invoice clearly stated two Xbox Live Messenger Packs but only one was packaged and shipped.

I tried to contact buy.com MANY times and WASTED HOURS trying to get support on my order. After over a week of emails with useless replies stating "Based on the information provided, we are unable to locate your order. ", I was left with no choice but to file a paypal dispute (Dec 10 2008).

EVEN AFTER FILING A PAYPAL DISPUTE, I COULD NOT GET ANY CUSTOMER SUPPORT OR EVEN ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF THE ORDER PROBLEM. Since I could not get a response from the seller even after 2 weeks, I was given no choice but to escalate the paypal dispute (Dec 23 2008) since they CLEARLY IGNORE THEIR CUSTOMERS.

Now I have to wait until Jan. 27, 2009 for paypal to review my case thanks to buy.com:

"The seller has submitted an explanation describing the disagreement with
this claim. We will evaluate all available information including the
original listing, and both seller and buyer statements. "

Hmm. SO AFTER 4 WEEKS OF IGNORING ME, THEY DECIDE TO RESPOND BY SUBMITTING AN "EXPLANATION" TO PAYPAL?

All in all, the lesson learned is DO NOT DEAL WITH BUY.COM. They SCAM their customers and DON'T SHIP THE ITEMS THAT ARE PAID FOR.

F-

Yup. Buy.com's ebay store. The invoice was buy.com's and it's the same company/seller.

I don't like ebay/paypal very much either, but this is rediculous.

I've bought from their eBay store (at first I didn't know they were Buy.com) and it was pretty smooth. Hopefully your problem gets resolved OP.

Well its all good if your order goes through correctly I guess, but if you end up with only half the items you ordered and paid for, good luck!

Have you talked with eBay and let them know it's a SNAD (significantly not as described)? If it's on eBay that the transaction happened, they should be in the loop on this as well as Paypal.

Contacting buy.com directly wouldn't do much good, as the transaction didn't happen through them.

Whoa, whoa, whoa there! Buy.com is very reliable. I've placed many orders over the years and have not had a single problem. It doesn't sound like they "scammed" you in any case. And it's better to pay with a credit card so you can just call and reverse the charges if there's a problem. Paypal sucks IMO.

I hope you get some resolution soon OP.

Well ignoring a paypal claim and messages for weeks and then sending to paypal an explanation after its been escalated sounds like they're trying tofuck me - honestly. I've sent the emails to buy.com customer support, buy.com's ebay storefront, and its paypal account email (the one that receives paypal dispute emails).

I've done business with buy.com before, I've just never had an error in an order before and had to deal with it.

I've had problems with other sellers and even amazon as well over the years but those were literally resolved the same day (for amazon) or at least within the week with other stores and private sellers.

Buy.com is horrible. I stopped buying from them a long time ago, and decided to order something recently. They cancelled part of the order (the only thing I actually wanted), and decided to only ship the rest of it. Of course they did this without ever contacting me.
Stay away. I would rather pay more money for the same item, and buy it elsewhere. Amazon, and Newegg are much better alternatives.

I wasn't even aware of an ebay store and frankly, I wouldn't even bother with it. Was there a price difference from the regular buy.com site? If not, I'd have just gone that route because, like many others, I have never had an issue with them. Got my first 360 from buy.com even.

I too have had orders with buy.com that didn't have any errors.

I'm sure the majority of orders go through correctly, but sellers do make mistakes whether its an invoice price mistakes, missing item, broken item, etc. This error on their part and their inability to acknowledge and respond to their problem is UNACCEPTABLE.

Again, I'm sure dealing with buy.com will be fine most of the time, but when you end up only getting half of what you ordered, GOOD LUCK. It could happen to you and expect the same treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a lot of problems with them in 1999 - 2001 so I don't order from them anymore. I don't feel like typing them up now but they are shady at times.

I too have had some problems with them. A while back, I placed an order with them and after two weeks or so, they just canceled out of the blue without any contact or explaination. I just assumed it was in transit or something. What really pissed me off was that the item was still listed in stock, and that I could have gotten the same item from another site for a few dollars cheaper, but I chose buy since I heard good things about them. Although I didnt lose anything besides time out of this, I hope the OP has good luck in getting back what is their's.

Demix500, I literally had the EXACT same problem. I purchased three Xbox Live Messenger Kits through eBay, and when the package arrived, there was only one inside.

I was able to get it resolved by pointing out to Buy.com that the UPS tracking page showed that the package they shipped me was 2lbs, and given that a single XBL Messenger Kit weighs 1lb, it was impossible for them to have sent all three of them to me.

Check the weight on the UPS tracking page and see if it says 2lbs or less. If it does, then you have a case, because the weight of the box they shipped the item to me in weighed 6 ounces alone. So, the weight of 2 XBL Messenger Kits plus a box would show a minimum of 3lbs.

Also, contact them at [email protected], not through ebay. They will return all your emails very promptly if you contact them at that email.

Thanks Cheadyp. I've sent my email just now, but since I haven't had any support for the entire duration of the month, I had to make a paypal dispute order. And even after that, I had no contact with any customer support so I was forced to escalate the paypal claim after that.

Well I'll update after I get a response.

I've seen the messenger packs in their ebay store too. I've never had a problem with buy.com in the past and was planning purchase one through ebay but it looks like it's safer to checkout through their site.

That sucks that they are even fighting the dispute when clearly they were in the wrong.

I had a problem with Buy.com regarding a webcam I bought from them. The product itself was fine, its just not what I preferred and wanted to return it. It took me almost 3 months to get a refund and the dispute cleared up.

What took them to finally refund me was my constant filling of their inbox of complaints and finally, I threatened legal action. After I submitted them the threat of legal action 3 months into the refund dispute I got a full refund in 2 hours.

Haven't bought a thing from them since and have visited their site maybe twice since the incident (which was in 2005-2006).

Looks like that email worked! Now I'm hoping to get that order confirmation the customer support said would be sent to me yesterday...

Thanks. I actually won the paypal dispute for the refund, but they said I needed to return the product? My non-existent / missing product? Anyways, I'm not going to complete the claim by sending an empty box back to Buy.com since I'm a nice guy.

I think buy.com needs to get their shit together though. The customer service from their website, ebay account, or paypal dispute email should have pointed me to this fucking support email address a month ago!

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy.com is pretty terrible sometime. Like when they had that deal on the 4gb sandisk memory stick pro duo. When I made the purchase the item was clearly listed as in stock available to ship withing 1-2 business days and guess what? My order didn't get shipped til 2 weeks later and some people confirmed that they got their very quick and they ordered after me. I called them up and they said it wasn't their fault it's their suppliers I was like WTFFF?? you're high?

I ordered the Witchblade Hardback Compendium from them for $72.

I recieved *drumroll* a coffee mug with a random lady and 2 kids on it......

Basically buy.com said oh well, if we sent you the wrong item you have to mail it back and wait a week for us to recieve, then wait another week for us to process the return, then wait for us to re-pack and re-ship your correct order which should arrive in another 2 weeks.

So about a month's delay do to their screwup and they don't even have the courtesy to refund shipping or bump it up so I get it faster.

bread's done
Back