Scammed by mackdaddy226

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I was just scammed on eBay for the first time (thread). I never thought it would happen. Weird. Luckily, its all through PayPal, so I think I can get it sorted...but its annoying. My guess is that the economy is doing pretty bad right now and scamming is going to go up. Really, there isnt any excuse. Hopefully the guy who scammed you gets in some sort of trouble. If the police show up at his door, he will at least be scared to death.

[quote name='jimijumper']that sucks op...having been scammed by cheapfitzguy I can feel your pain.....[/quote]

Us metalheads (I'm assuming you are, what with your Gojira avatar and all :)) need to stick up for one another! But yes, it does suck... and I'm sorry about what happened with you as well.

this fucking bitch almost scammed me he wanted me to give him 9 games for his 360 which i almost sent out, but then i decided i didnt wanna b scammed. im so glad wow holy shit.

I think we really need to figure out a better trade system than just trust alone. Granted there's more successful trades than not, but this is getting ridiculous.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']I think we really need to figure out a better trade system than just trust alone. Granted there's more successful trades than not, but this is getting ridiculous.[/quote]

I don't necessarily agree with that. We just need more users to be encouraged to read FAQ's and ask questions if they're not sure.

-Trade low valued items with established traders to build up a reputation.
-Never, under any circumstance, send cash for an item.
-If you insist on sending cash, make sure the user has a decent trade topic, great itrader, and the deal doesn't seem too good to be true.
-After you get high enough feedback, never sent first to a user with lower feedback no matter what they say. You have higher feedback and it's your right to insist they send first.
-If buying something from someone with lower feedback and they insist on payment first, make sure they have a good amount of feedback and make sure you use paypal for protection.
-If you get a random PM from someone with low feedback, who doesn't have a trade list, and who insists on getting items first then not only ignore the PM, forward it to a mod. It sounds fishy and there is no shame in getting it out there.

If you go by these rules it minimizes the chance of getting scammed. I've been on other trade sites and video game item trading sites (d2jsp) and I've never been scammed before because I make it a point to only deal with people who seem reputable.

Count me as another one he scammed. Just out of Ninja Gaiden 2 sealed, but still a pain.

Same story. We "ship at the same time." I wouldn't have, but we both had about the same amount of feedback so I figured what the hell. Two trading newbies helping each other out right?

Oh well, I knew better. He kept trying to give me expensive games for a $10 game, I turned down Halo 3 CoD4, Skate 2 and finally L4D as I figured if he wasn't scamming he was a bit off and I didn't want to take advantage of him.

After he kept trying, I agreed on L4D hoping to trade it off later. I knew I was probably going to be minus a game and shipping, but oh well.

Either way, I'm screwed. Went to the post office after an unusually crappy day at work....After shipping the game, I had the backing paper from the shipping label in one hand, the delivery conf./insurance receipt in the other. Wadded up the shipping label backing and threw it away....realized when I got to the car I *ehem* still had the wax paper. Realized this as the cleaning guy dumped a trash bin. :(

I'm not much help here with any proof, as apparently I'm an idiot. >_< But I guess I can stop giving him the benefit of the doubt with the package not here yet hu?

[quote name='howlinmad']Count me as another one he scammed. Just out of Ninja Gaiden 2 sealed, but still a pain.

Same story. We "ship at the same time." I wouldn't have, but we both had about the same amount of feedback so I figured what the hell. Two trading newbies helping each other out right?

Oh well, I knew better. He kept trying to give me expensive games for a $10 game, I turned down Halo 3 CoD4, Skate 2 and finally L4D as I figured if he wasn't scamming he was a bit off and I didn't want to take advantage of him.

After he kept trying, I agreed on L4D hoping to trade it off later. I knew I was probably going to be minus a game and shipping, but oh well.

Either way, I'm screwed. Went to the post office after an unusually crappy day at work....After shipping the game, I had the backing paper from the shipping label in one hand, the delivery conf./insurance receipt in the other. Wadded up the shipping label backing and threw it away....realized when I got to the car I *ehem* still had the wax paper. Realized this as the cleaning guy dumped a trash bin. :(

I'm not much help here with any proof, as apparently I'm an idiot. >_< But I guess I can stop giving him the benefit of the doubt with the package not here yet hu?[/quote]

Read through this thread and follow the advice given by mods. Call the police and fill out a report on that internet fraud site. If all of you people pull together and keep the cops on this guys ass I wouldn't doubt if you could get your stuff back. Even if you do get your stuff back, I'm still consider pushing the envelope and getting this prick put on parole or even in prison just for the fun of it.

[quote name='MikeBastard']I don't necessarily agree with that. We just need more users to be encouraged to read FAQ's and ask questions if they're not sure.

-Trade low valued items with established traders to build up a reputation.
-Never, under any circumstance, send cash for an item.
-If you insist on sending cash, make sure the user has a decent trade topic, great itrader, and the deal doesn't seem too good to be true.
-After you get high enough feedback, never sent first to a user with lower feedback no matter what they say. You have higher feedback and it's your right to insist they send first.
-If buying something from someone with lower feedback and they insist on payment first, make sure they have a good amount of feedback and make sure you use paypal for protection.
-If you get a random PM from someone with low feedback, who doesn't have a trade list, and who insists on getting items first then not only ignore the PM, forward it to a mod. It sounds fishy and there is no shame in getting it out there.

If you go by these rules it minimizes the chance of getting scammed. I've been on other trade sites and video game item trading sites (d2jsp) and I've never been scammed before because I make it a point to only deal with people who seem reputable.[/quote]
Problem is, people are too lazy to read it, don't care, or don't obey it.
Not pointing fingers at anyone, but it's a flawed system. Well, not even really a system.
It does work though, this is a great community, I'm not trying to bash or it change anything because I think it sucks, and like I said, there is way more successful trades than not, but it'd just be really nice to see a new system implemented sometime soon, one that really enforces the rules and maybe a new way of trading to keep both parties safe. Somehow... :lol:
Maybe one day.

[quote name='shrike4242']I found out where he's at, and I PM'd the OP the phone # to the local police department that would cover that zip code from the PM'd address.[/quote]

Don't mess with CAG :bomb:

The only actual proof I have is a CC transaction at the USPS, as like I said I accidentally threw the receipt away. I don't think I'd actually be much help reporting the guy to any authority unfortunately. Just adding an incident for others to look out for this jack ass.

I was thinking about him actually having a few good trade feedback instances, and why would he do this. Having atleast a few would make sense. It would allow for more people to send first or as he apparently insists, "send at the same time". Just a thought.

[quote name='MikeBastard']Read through this thread and follow the advice given by mods. Call the police and fill out a report on that internet fraud site. If all of you people pull together and keep the cops on this guys ass I wouldn't doubt if you could get your stuff back. Even if you do get your stuff back, I'm still consider pushing the envelope and getting this prick put on parole or even in prison just for the fun of it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sparta Omni']Problem is, people are too lazy to read it, don't care, or don't obey it.
Not pointing fingers at anyone, but it's a flawed system. Well, not even really a system.
It does work though, this is a great community, I'm not trying to bash or it change anything because I think it sucks, and like I said, there is way more successful trades than not, but it'd just be really nice to see a new system implemented sometime soon, one that really enforces the rules and maybe a new way of trading to keep both parties safe. Somehow... :lol:
Maybe one day.[/quote]I'd take a look at my numbers. Either I'm the luckiest CAG on the site, or I must be doing something right and not getting burned. As a comparison, I'd be in the top 20 traders on GTZ, so again, I must be doing something right.

If people don't read it because they're too lazy, they don't care or they don't obey it, then that's a matter of social engineering that you won't be able to fix regardless.

Other sites have the same problems we do. It's a matter of human nature being the issue at hand more than anything else. CAG's trading community is secondary than the deals, and it always has been. There are changes being worked on for the trade system, though no matter what you do to change that, there's always going to be assholes screwing it up for everyone else. Thankfully, it's a very small percentage of assholes, but we stick together and try to work through the issues together.

That's why people need to use some common sense in trading and make sure they cover their bases. They need to keep every bit of documentation for everything until it's done with and know the steps of what needs to be done to work past any possible issues.

And there's always the step of not trading. No trading, no possible issues with scams or other such issues.

FYI: You still own any package you ship out until the recipient takes delivery. You can do a Recall for free.

I sold a rare game on eBay, and shipped it USPS with Delivery Confirmation. The day after I emailed the winner the DC number, he filed a complaint with PayPal that he never got his item (1 day after paying, but since Paypal is automated he was able to reverse the payment because it wasn't delivered even though it was less than 24 hours since he paid).

So I went back to my post office with the DC number and after 3 window clerks told me there was nothing I could do (which I knew was wrong from reading Google). I asked to speak to the Post Master, who contacted the post office where my package was going to.

The package went all the way to the scammer's hometown, in fact, I got a phone call from the post office near him to double check I wanted the package returned, and the clerk said "he's right around the corner, waiting for the package" and I said "no, return it to me" and it came back.

So talk to your local Post Master. And don't settle for window clerks, they either don't know or don't care.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'd take a look at my numbers. Either I'm the luckiest CAG on the site, or I must be doing something right and not getting burned. As a comparison, I'd be in the top 20 traders on GTZ, so again, I must be doing something right.

If people don't read it because they're too lazy, they don't care or they don't obey it, then that's a matter of social engineering that you won't be able to fix regardless.

Other sites have the same problems we do. It's a matter of human nature being the issue at hand more than anything else. CAG's trading community is secondary than the deals, and it always has been. There are changes being worked on for the trade system, though no matter what you do to change that, there's always going to be assholes screwing it up for everyone else. Thankfully, it's a very small percentage of assholes, but we stick together and try to work through the issues together.

That's why people need to use some common sense in trading and make sure they cover their bases. They need to keep every bit of documentation for everything until it's done with and know the steps of what needs to be done to work past any possible issues.

And there's always the step of not trading. No trading, no possible issues with scams or other such issues.[/quote]
I definitely agree. I think no matter what we'd try to implement, some jerk would come along and find a way around it to get their way. I'm very satisfied with how CAG works, and I have over 60 positive trades to prove it. :p
I just wish the cops would make an example out of someone for this type of mail fraud. Maybe it'd scare some of the potential scammers away in fear of the consequences.

Regardless, good luck Shrike and OP. I hope this resolves in the scammer being brought to justice.

[quote name='Haggar']FYI: You still own any package you ship out until the recipient takes delivery. You can do a Recall for free.

I sold a rare game on eBay, and shipped it USPS with Delivery Confirmation. The day after I emailed the winner the DC number, he filed a complaint with PayPal that he never got his item (1 day after paying, but since Paypal is automated he was able to reverse the payment because it wasn't delivered even though it was less than 24 hours since he paid).

So I went back to my post office with the DC number and after 3 window clerks told me there was nothing I could do (which I knew was wrong from reading Google). I asked to speak to the Post Master, who contacted the post office where my package was going to.

The package went all the way to the scammer's hometown, in fact, I got a phone call from the post office near him to double check I wanted the package returned, and the clerk said "he's right around the corner, waiting for the package" and I said "no, return it to me" and it came back.

So talk to your local Post Master. And don't settle for window clerks, they either don't know or don't care.[/QUOTE]

definitely do that if you just sent it out a very recently and the tracking shows not delivered yet.

I've got an idea.... might be a way to solve some of the scamming problem.

Since the scams usually come from low rating members, why not make a tread which lets new traders post their currents trades (then that user can go back and delete once the trade is completed)?

What I mean is, scammers usually tries to score big, so he/she tends to try to do multiple trades with others at the same time. So, this posting method would actually draw red flag when someone new tries to do multiple trades at the same time. It also lets people know if the person they are dealing with has any pending trades going on.

the problem with this is the possibility of thread being too long due to undeleted posts.

Here is a simple example:

We have Trader A, B(Scammer) and C
Trader A trades with Trader B
Trader A goes to post in the thread

Trader C also trades with Trade B
Trader C goes to post in the thread

Now, if trader B goes on to trading with more ppl while having low feedback, that would set off a red flag to others indicating Trader B is potentially dangerous. Therefore avoid trading with him/her until all pending trades are completed without problem.

If all goes well, then every1 goes back and delete their post.

This might or might not work, it really depends. but it would surely keep multiple people from getting scammed by the same person.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sparta Omni']Problem is, people are too lazy to read it, don't care, or don't obey it.
Maybe one day.[/quote]

I see your point, however, I think that, were the problems attributed to laziness, many would think people were arguably getting what they deserved.

I won't say this system is flawed. I will simply say it's not perfect, but what system is? It's better than most sites and, IMHO, the absolute best FREE trading resource out there.
If we were to have the system revamped and have people watching out for us (more than Shrike already does - which is a fantastic job BTW) I'm sure we wouldn't have a free trading system any longer.
I came here because it was free. Also, as a member living in Japan, CAG is nearly one of my only options for trading.
I was scammed once during a secondary exchange. I had received his package and, just before sending mine, we agreed on a second trade, so I just sent him everything. After months of false promises, he dropped off the map. Eh, it happens.
In any case, there is no one to blame but myself.

I think a " trading thread" would be perfect. Were you fill out a set form. Who your trading with. What your trading. This has to third party approved BEFORE trades can go through. This way its public also. The scams go through pms which tends to lead to more people being scammed at a time.

Example

user name: ____

Trading with ____

What are you trading______

When is shipping_____

Dc number________

Did trade go through as promised________

All trades have to be posted in the trading forum. Then under our names where the i trader info is shouls say. pending trades. mr_hockey66 has (3) pending trades.

If you have a newbie with 2 trades and 9 pending may send up a red flag??

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']I think a " trading thread" would be perfect. Were you fill out a set form. Who your trading with. What your trading. This has to third part approved BEFORE trades can go through. This way its public also. The scams go through pms which tends to lead to more people being scammed at a time.

Example

Trading with ____

When is shipping_____

Dc number________

All trades have to be posted in the trading forum. Then under our names where the i trader info is shouls say. pending trades. mr_hockey66 has (3) pending trades.

If you have a newbie with 2 trades and 9 pending may send up a red flag??[/quote]

If that person continues to scam people at least 3 times on purpose, I believe his/her IP should be banned permanently from CAG... FOREVER! =P

1 time scammer in my book should be banned. The problem is these scammers move to a new place and join again. Or go to a new site and do it again.

Part of the problem too are these types of threads. It shows others how to do it and how to get away with it.

This probably some one who was here and say the drunkpollock thread. A copycat scammer if you will.

IP bans don't work, period.

I don't know what else to add.
Maybe with bigger trades or with questionable members, you can demand their phone number and speak with them. That might deter some low lives looking for a quick easy scam. And with a number you can give it to the police if you do indeed get scammed.

[quote name='supraazn']IP bans don't work, period.

I don't know what else to add.
Maybe with bigger trades or with questionable members, you can demand their phone number and speak with them. That might deter some low lives looking for a quick easy scam. And with a number you can give it to the police if you do indeed get scammed.[/quote]

Oh proxy, they would have used proxy to get in. Oh how bad can they get? Hmm. *goes off*

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']1 time scammer in my book should be banned. The problem is these scammers move to a new place and join again. Or go to a new site and do it again.

Part of the problem too are these types of threads. It shows others how to do it and how to get away with it.

This probably some one who was here and say the drunkpollock thread. A copycat scammer if you will.[/QUOTE]Some do return, like cheapfitzguy. DrunkPollock has scammed at GameTZ and believed to have done it on GAF too maybe. There are some scammers who will go from site to site trying to do that, or eventually return to a site they scammed from using a different name (or trying to cover up part of their name). It sucks, but they are tough to get rid of.

EDIT: I think I just found out who this person is. More later.

Does anyone remember dealing with Seller7492 (also lilchris7492, who was registered at CAG with zero posts) or remember what the person got banned for? I mention this because both him and mackdaddy226 live in the same city, and both have the same first and last name (since Seller7492 gamertag was Chris7492, and his last name somewhere else was the same as mackdaddy226). There might be a connection.

WOW.

I was about to trade with him last week. He wanted my 360 controller for his sealed COD4. I knew something was up because that wasn't an even trade. He told me that he was desperate.

He agreed to ship when he got my controller. My gut told me to not trust this guy, so I PM'ed him back saying that it didn't feel right and that I was canceling the trade. I felt bad so I gave him a free 48 hour LIVE code for wasting his time.

I'm not surprised to see his name here. Good thing I went with my gut, I would have been the victim.

Sorry OP.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Does anyone remember dealing with Seller7492 (also lilchris7492, who was registered at CAG with zero posts) or remember what the person got banned for? I mention this because both him and mackdaddy226 live in the same city, and both have the same first and last name (since Seller7492 gamertag was Chris7492, and his last name somewhere else was the same as mackdaddy226). There might be a connection.[/quote]Where did you see that he has the same first and last name between Seller7492/Chris7492 and mackdaddy226?

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']I think a " trading thread" would be perfect. Were you fill out a set form. Who your trading with. What your trading. This has to third party approved BEFORE trades can go through. This way its public also. The scams go through pms which tends to lead to more people being scammed at a time.

Example

Trading with ____

When is shipping_____

Dc number________

Did trade go through as promised________

If you have a newbie with 2 trades and 9 pending may send up a red flag??[/quote]

The biggest solution to not getting scammed as a newer trader is to only trade with established traders. When I started on here I would check posts by cags I wanted to trade with. Time as a member, post counts, and what type of posts they make can really help when deciding if a cag is legit. Also, I see many people consider 20 trades as having alot of feedback. In that range of trades you really need to look at the length of time they have been a member and the quality of posts made by the cag. Good luck op, I see mana is up to tracking these guys down again. Mana knight should really change user names to phoenix wright!

[quote name='MikeBastard']If he literally told you he scammed you, could you take any legal action? If you have a chain of all PM's sent and he's admitting that he scammed you it seems like you might have a leg to stand on. Contacting the police over the phone and explaining things to them might get you somewhere.[/quote]
Today's evidence law lesson: Party admissions are very often admissible in court, and they are considered very good evidence.

Another thing to do when you first start trading is to trade small items first. Don't trade for big ticket items when you or your trading partner have little or no feedback. In fact, I would not recommend trading for big ticket items unless it's with an established CAG with a lot of positive feedback.

Man do I feel bad....one of his + trades is from me. He was a little slow to ship, but he sent everything that he said he would. So sorry this happened to you man!

I can't stand how this guy is just getting off the hook like this. Somebody needs to go "pay him a visit" and show him that you don't fuck with CAG.

Are any legal actions being taken at the moment?

[quote name='Yamato']I can't stand how this guy is just getting off the hook like this. Somebody needs to go "pay him a visit" and show him that you don't fuck with CAG.

Are any legal actions being taken at the moment?[/quote]

I'm debating more, but I have contacted his local police, have filed a complaint at ic3.gov and also the USPS mail fraud detection.. thing.. whatever.. thing. At the moment it seems we have all his "real" information, and the cops are to call me back on Monday with more information.

@ zepheron and PhrostByte, you may want to remove the addresses since we are not allowed to post addresses around the forum (according to shrike and other mods) for various reasons. They could be the person in question, or they could even be someone's girlfriend/boyfriend they are upset with.

What I can say is the person who I think it MIGHT be (GameTZ is one form of proof), if you look at his 360 gamercard (from the link I posted), two 360 games just played (with zero achievements) are Guitar Hero 3 and Madden 09. That kind of leads me suspicious also.

EDIT: Here is what I'm showing:
XBLgames.jpg

GTAIV as of yesterday was last played sometime in June 2008 or something, then was pushed it (so he might have wanted to get the game back because of the expansion). GH3 was not played online, but it was between mid August of 2008 to now.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']@ zepheron and PhrostByte, you may want to remove the addresses since we are not allowed to post addresses around the forum (according to shrike and other mods) for various reasons. They could be the person in question, or they could even be someone's girlfriend/boyfriend they are upset with.

What I can say is the person who I think it MIGHT be (GameTZ is one form of proof), if you look at his 360 gamercard (from the link I posted), two 360 games just played (with zero achievements) are Guitar Hero 3 and Madden 09. That kind of leads me suspicious also.

EDIT: Here is what I'm showing:
XBLgames.jpg

GTAIV as of yesterday was last played sometime in June 2008 or something, then was pushed it (so he might have wanted to get the game back because of the expansion). GH3 was not played online, but it was between mid August of 2008 to now.[/quote]

There a way I can contact Microsoft or Xbox Live about this situation? I'm not sure if each copy of games are tagged or anything like that.

[quote name='zepheron']There a way I can contact Microsoft or Xbox Live about this situation? I'm not sure if each copy of games are tagged or anything like that.[/QUOTE]Game copies are not tagged in any way, so there's really nothing you can do here.

The only other thing I recommend doing is contacting the person, telling them you are going to pursue legal action if the games are not returned (contact where you sent to first). However, I recommend we keep our talk about what to do to a minimum (in the open forum), since I have a feeling mackdaddy226 is probably reading this and laughing at everyone right now unfortunately (while this is a serious situation, no doubt).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']However, I recommend we keep our talk about what to do to a minimum (in the open forum), since I have a feeling mackdaddy226 is probably reading this and laughing at everyone right now unfortunately (while this is a serious situation, no doubt).[/quote]Unless he's come back as a new ID, he can't view the Trading Forum, as he's in Trading Time Out. TTO kicks you out of the Trading Forum.

[quote name='zepheron']There a way I can contact Microsoft or Xbox Live about this situation? I'm not sure if each copy of games are tagged or anything like that.[/QUOTE]

Ninja Gaiden 2 as well. Interesting. And it looks like he just started.

Maybe he could be scared into sending his end out. Its worked before.

Yes, maybe a "game invite" from some other CAGs will change his attitude. This isn't my call though.

That is a good idea, but could he claim a form of harassment on Live? I don't want to get banned.

[quote name='Yamato']Maybe he could be scared into sending his end out. Its worked before.

Yes, maybe a "game invite" from some other CAGs will change his attitude. This isn't my call though.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that'd be the last thing on his mind. Besides, it definitely takes more than 1 complaint to do anything to your account.
I recall reading an article in some popular gaming magazine (EGM?) where one of the guys made a brand new LIVE account and did some pretty awful things, trying to get it banned.

This included cussing out members, demanding a woman to strip naked on UNO, and if I recall correctly, flashing his junk on a vision camera.

[quote name='howlinmad']No, but I might send him a pm with "hello chris7492" :)
"Want to play a game mother fucker?"[/quote]
I laughed so hard at this haha.

If you do that (I'm not saying do or do not), you should even say "Shaq-fu-er" so he gets the picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back