School Relents, Gives Out Diplomas total Bs

slidecage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
106 (100%)
GALESBURG, Ill. (June 7) - Five students will get the diplomas they were denied when cheers erupted for them at a high school graduation, and school officials said Wednesday they would review a get-tough decorum policy.

Diploma Debacle
Talk About It: Post Thoughts

Galesburg High School officials had said they would not hand over the keepsake diplomas unless they received apologies. But the stalemate over the diplomas and the media attention it attracted have taken valuable time and energy, they said.

"It is time for the good of the community, the school district, the families and the students involved to move on," Superintendent Gene Denisar said in a written statement.

The diplomas were withheld because the school said cheering violated a school policy aimed at restoring graduation decorum. The students still were considered graduates on paper, but they didn't have a diploma.

Graduate Nadia Trent, who picked up her diploma from the school secretary Wednesday afternoon, said she's "just happy it's over."

"If they would have apologized, it would have been better," said Trent.

Denisar cited talks with the Illinois State Board of Education, which has said it cannot support the district's decorum policy because it makes students responsible for behavior they cannot control, in explaining the decision.

Most Popular - Last 24 Hours
Ancient Egyptian City Spotted From SpacePolice Believe Found Body Is Missing TeenFamilies Furious Over Donation Box at 9/11 MemorialJudge Suing Cleaners Now Wants Just $54 MillionIn GOP Debate, Candidates Fault BushThe central Illinois school district about 150 miles southwest of Chicago will continue efforts to make commencement a "respectful and dignified occasion that all graduates and their families can enjoy," school board President Michael Panther said in statement. Officials did not say how they planned to review the no-cheer policy.

Peoria attorney Jeffrey Green, who took the students' case at no cost, sent a letter late Tuesday threatening to sue the district if officials did not apologize and deliver the diplomas by 5 p.m. Wednesday.

"They met with the families two or three times and had a chance to get this thing right," Green said. "I've been involved less than 24 hours, and now they have their diplomas, so you draw your own conclusions."

Parent Pam Kelley said she was disappointed that school officials did not apologize and that her daughter, Amanda, was handed the diploma by a high school secretary, not principal Tom Chiles.

"At least he could have come out and shook her hand and said congratulations," Kelley said.

I say the school should held their ground. If their parents want to act like fools screaming they shouldnt get theirs. I just went to one last night and they called up this football dude and around 30 or so parents starting screaming and going nuts and you couldnt even hear the next 5 people to be called.

love this line

At least he could have come out and shook her hand and said congratulations," Kelley said.

They are the ones who broke the rules and now they think they are the victim. #$#$# them.

AND THEY HAD TO PLAY THE RACE CARD HUH. NOw if this was a bunch of white students they would thought it was fair they didnt get them. It was just unfair cause they were black.

I would tell them to go #$#$#$ themself if i was in charge of the school. They broke the rules so that is their own fault.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/article...s/20070601155509990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

These are the type of idiots who just make my town run. It was my graduating class (2005) where everyone acted like idiots and not a single damn thing was done. Now when they finally crack down, these absolute bullshit mothers come in and start to bitch. And yes, this is my town.

First, the people who were denied their dimplomas were not the ones cheering, it was their friends/family.

Second, it was only their paper diplomas that weren't able to recieve, they were still able to graduate.

This is nothing to be outraged over - they refused to hand over a diploma, merely a symbol of graduation. There was never a threat over revoking their actual graduation, so it's merely a petty offense.

As for the race card, please point out where the article says that. I don't see it. I think that ol' slidecage saw a bunch of dark-skinned folks and assumed that they were playing the "poor old me" game again, rather than reading the article. Funny that the act of claiming "reverse racism" in action becomes the act of racism itself (assuming that all black folks have to use the race card to get ahead).

Finally, edit your post. I shouldn't be surprised that you make no fucking sense, even when you cut and paste text. But, somehow, you managed to do that too.

Well Jeeper, you are closer to this than I am, but from the outside.

I remember graduating high school. We could bring our people. To be honest, I was sick of my high school, I didn't even want to go. I went because I was pretty much told to by my parents. My tickets to go (you were allowed to bring 6) were distributed by my parents. Now, everyone acted nice, but I really didn't have much of a choice. Sure, I could have had issues, but when your in high school, your not really an adult yet.

Now, I have no idea how bad the crowd got, but wouldn't a more effective solution be to have the local police on hand (this reeks of a very small town), and just have them throw people out of the crowd who get out of line? Here are the rules, you follow them or you leave.

Let's think this through, to get a high school diploma is 13 years of work (K-12). Your diploma means that you accomplished something. Now, you are going to take that away from someone becuase someone, who isn't them, cheered? Who cares if their parents stripped naked and streaked the thing, you don't punish the student.

The fact that the students weren't given their proper congragulations is a joke. It's really sad and I feel for the students that wanted to be there. Now, the only way they have a proper graduation is to go through another 4 years of college. Sure, they should do that anyway, but this isn't fair.

Even worse when I think that my niece got a "diploma" and a party for graduating preschool. Yet, these kids can't get one for graduating high school? Sick.

Edit: Just read Myk's course. If he is correct and they were still graduating, then it isn't nearly as bad, and everyone should just move on.

[quote name='mykevermin']This is nothing to be outraged over - they refused to hand over a diploma, merely a symbol of graduation. There was never a threat over revoking their actual graduation, so it's merely a petty offense.

As for the race card, please point out where the article says that. I don't see it. I think that ol' slidecage saw a bunch of dark-skinned folks and assumed that they were playing the "poor old me" game again, rather than reading the article. Funny that the act of claiming "reverse racism" in action becomes the act of racism itself (assuming that all black folks have to use the race card to get ahead).

Finally, edit your post. I shouldn't be surprised that you make no fucking sense, even when you cut and paste text. But, somehow, you managed to do that too.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they initially did pull the race card. That happened within the first 48 hours of this whole debacle. One of the students was quoted directly in the newspaper here. Also as far as the whole thing of racism and what not, all of the administrators who were supervising wrote down the same 5 names.

[quote name='lordxixor101']Well Jeeper, you are closer to this than I am, but from the outside.

I remember graduating high school. We could bring our people. To be honest, I was sick of my high school, I didn't even want to go. I went because I was pretty much told to by my parents. My tickets to go (you were allowed to bring 6) were distributed by my parents. Now, everyone acted nice, but I really didn't have much of a choice. Sure, I could have had issues, but when your in high school, your not really an adult yet.

Now, I have no idea how bad the crowd got, but wouldn't a more effective solution be to have the local police on hand (this reeks of a very small town), and just have them throw people out of the crowd who get out of line? Here are the rules, you follow them or you leave.

Let's think this through, to get a high school diploma is 13 years of work (K-12). Your diploma means that you accomplished something. Now, you are going to take that away from someone becuase someone, who isn't them, cheered? Who cares if their parents stripped naked and streaked the thing, you don't punish the student.

The fact that the students weren't given their proper congragulations is a joke. It's really sad and I feel for the students that wanted to be there. Now, the only way they have a proper graduation is to go through another 4 years of college. Sure, they should do that anyway, but this isn't fair.

Even worse when I think that my niece got a "diploma" and a party for graduating preschool. Yet, these kids can't get one for graduating high school? Sick.

Edit: Just read Myk's course. If he is correct and they were still graduating, then it isn't nearly as bad, and everyone should just move on.[/QUOTE]

While we're a smaller town (33,000), we're not THAT small. As you said yourself about not even wanting to be there, that was how I felt. Through the whole thing the only thing I could think of was how bored I was and how hot it was. Some background on this situation: The problem stemmed from my graduating class, where a total breakdown of any sort of rules happened. Both parents and students were being totally irreverent. When it came time to give out the "fake diploma" (the ones on stage are not the real diplomas, those are picked up after the assembly is done), a number of students started dancing, strutting, pimp-walking, whatever you want to call it, across the stage. These same students who did this also got extremely loud cheers, clapping, etc. The school had DELIBERATELY stated before the handing out took place that all applause/cheering was to be held for the end, so everything could go smoothly. Needless to say that didn't happen and the majority of parents who were there disapproved of what happened (My class was 303 students). The public backlash to everything was very intense, due to criticism of a breakdown of discipline, respect, and all that. The high school and school board then enacted this new Zero-Tolerance policy for the following year(s). It stated that if anyone, be it student or parent, caused a disruption, the school would not give them their diploma. The school lawyers wrote this up into a legally binding contract and sent copies of it home to every student who would be graduating that year. In order to participate in the graduation ceremony, the paper had to be signed by both parent and student, I believe. The class of 2006 had no problem following this new rule. If anyone has any questions, please ask me. I'll do the best I can to try and answer them as truthfully as possible.

So you can not cheer at graduations now? All of my friends and family were cheering and standing up when I walked, and we did the same for them.

[quote name='mykevermin']Do you have links to any of those articles?[/QUOTE]

myke, our newspaper doesn't carry all articles that it runs on it's website. I'll dig around and try to find it if I can.

A graduation isn't a private function being held in the back of an exclusive country club or hunting lodge - the principal should realize that he isn't center of the universe and people celebrate in different ways.

Basic courtesy dictates that people shouldn't talk during a movie or get out of line in a courtroom, but withholding a diploma because your parents made a racket at a grad ceremony - ridiculous!

BTW - I think that loud, ugly Americans at Grad ceremonies are boorish and obnoxious, but it's more of a "what can you do" kind of thing.

At Lake Taylor HS around here, their '06 graduating class had about 45% graduate. About 20% of them were complete BS where the teachers decided to give them all extra credit for showing up for the final or some shit like that.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']myke, our newspaper doesn't carry all articles that it runs on it's website. I'll dig around and try to find it if I can.[/QUOTE]

If you can, great; if not, I'll take your word for it. I just wouldn't take slidecage at face value, y'know.

What we have here is enough dumbass to go around. The school officials were handing down a pie-in-the-sky idiotic policy and hoping it would stick, and then a bunch more idiots were shocked when, after having been told about it, they actually chose to enforce the policy, dumb as it was.

I say make graduation something beyond an automatic assumption for kids who show up, give graduation requirements some honest to god teeth, and then let the friends and family of the graduates hoot and holler all they want for an authentic achievement rather than the attendance award it is today.

[quote name='mykevermin']If you can, great; if not, I'll take your word for it. I just wouldn't take slidecage at face value, y'know.[/QUOTE]

Cause you're a nice guy and all...

"But three of the five reprimanded graduates have said they didn't know who cheered for them and shouldn't be punished for the actions of others.

They also have claimed the denial of diplomas was racially motivated, which administrators have denied. Four of the students are black and one is of mixed race."

The Galesburg Register-Mail

Granted it's an article from today's newspaper and not one of the originals, it still does the job.

Pshh... I was the only one who didn't wear a cap when I graduated (didn't fit with all my hair) showed up late,dirty and sweaty from going Hiking/Target Practice, Muddy ass boots, rolled the sleeves up on my gown,had everybody yell when I walked across the stage, and left as soon as I got my diploma.

This is bullshit. It's not their fault if somebody cheers. People start cheering, kick their ass out, don't deny the person their diploma. I'd like to go to some of your graduations and start cheering for you, and evidently that'd be your fault.

At my graduation ceremony. I got my High school diploma, then the kid behind me got one also. He was nothing but a cheater. He cheated all 4 years throughout high school. Plus a few more cheaters, "let me copy that." People graduated, and I felt like I wasted four years in high school. My High School Diploma means nothing to me. Its locked up in a fire proof safe though. It was more for my parents then for me.

I can understand requesting no cheers during a grad ceremony as you want to get through everyone's name quickly and don't want people cheering for their son drowning out the announcement of the next person's name. But not handing over the diploma is making a mountain out of a mole hill. Assinine. I don't care that it is just the paper.

camoor put it very well.

[quote name='mykevermin']If you can, great; if not, I'll take your word for it. I just wouldn't take slidecage at face value, y'know.[/QUOTE]

well i heard the race thing on the local news here. Then saw it on aol news

and they did away with cheering cause they dont want the thing to turn into an all night event. ANd i really dont belive they dont know the people who cheered for them. Strangers are not just going to start yelling when your name is read. If that is true then why didnt they yell when every name is read.

and they were told this ahead of time NO CHEERING

Thank God they have this civic minded policy in place. It makes much more sense than something along the lines of not letting them graduate due to failing half their classes or not lowering standards across the board so no one feels left out for being stupid.

No cheering at a graduation ceremony? What's next, no cheering at the Homecoming football game? That's just silly. Parents and family members should be allowed to be excited for their senior student.

[quote name='Bash.org']#764876 +(3870)- [X]

Curt teh Juggler: our graduation ceremony was today, and right when some gamer nerd got his diploma, someone in the audience played the zelda "get item" music and he did the zelda spin-hold-out-item stance

Curt teh Juggler: it was quite possibly the most amazing thing ever.[/QUOTE]

Oh how I love you bash.org.

Graduating high school is a minor accomplishment that takes limited ability. I don't even think they should bother handing out diplomas anymore. They're worth the paper they're printed on.

bread's done
Back