Scott Peterson gets the Death Penalty

Ravenlunatic

CAGiversary!
Cnn.com

REDWOOD CITY, California (CNN) -- A jury recommended Monday that Scott Peterson, the former fertilizer salesman whose case grabbed national headlines, be sentenced to death for killing his wife.

Cheers went up outside the courtroom as the jury announced its decision after 11 1/2 hours of deliberations over three days.

The jury had two options in deciding the 32-year-old former fertilizer salesman's fate: life in prison without parole or death by injection.

Peterson clenched his jaw when the verdict was read but showed no other emotion, The Associated Press reported.

Judge Alfred A. Delucchi will formally sentence Peterson on February 25. The judge has the option of reducing the sentence to life, but such a move in California is highly unlikely.

If Delucchi upholds the sentence, Peterson will be sent to death row at San Quentin State Prison outside San Francisco, the infamous lockup where prisoners gaze out small cell windows overlooking the same bay where Laci Peterson's body was discarded.

Peterson still might not be executed for decades, if ever. That is because California's death row has grown to house about 650 condemned men and women since the state brought back capital punishment in 1978, according to the AP.

Since then, only 10 executions have been carried out -- the last one in 2002. It can take years for even the first phase of the appeals process to begin.

The announcement of a jury decision came on the third day of jury deliberations over the sentence.

Earlier Monday, jurors asked to see autopsy photographs of Peterson's 27-year-old wife, Laci, and their unborn son, Conner.

The jury of six men and six women also asked Judge Delucchi if they could see photographs of the shore of San Francisco Bay where the bodies were found separately in April 2003.

The jury requested the last known photograph of Laci Peterson, taken about a week before was reported missing on Christmas Eve 2002, and for Laci's original medical file. She was eight months pregnant at the time. (Timeline)

The same jury that decided Peterson's sentence convicted him of first-degree murder November 12 in her death and of second-degree murder in the death of Conner. (Full story)

During the guilt or innocence phase of the trial, jurors agreed with prosecutors' contention that Peterson strangled or smothered Laci and dumped her body into San Francisco Bay.

Jurors, who were sequestered during deliberations, had to unanimously agree on a death sentence.

At formal sentencing, set for February 25, Delucchi may override a recommendation of death and sentence Peterson to life in prison without parole, but he cannot override a decision of life in prison without parole.

The panel received the case last Thursday after instructions from Delucchi and closing arguments from prosecutors and defense attorneys.

Calling Peterson "the worst kind of monster," prosecutor David Harris urged jurors Thursday to recommend that Peterson die for killing his wife.

Peterson's attorneys begged jurors to spare his life.

"Nobody feels ... that if Scott Peterson was a good golfer, that if Scott Peterson was a Cub Scout, that eases the murder of Laci and Conner," defense attorney Mark Geragos said.

"As I indicated to you, I'm not second-guessing any of your decisions. What we're saying is, that this is a life that has value."

Defense attorney Pat Harris told the jury Peterson "has a lot of good in him" and would be a good candidate to help others in prison.

"There's an opportunity to make something out of a life that has essentially gone wrong, a chance to see that others benefit from the positive part of Scott Peterson, some chance for him to do some good for the rest of his life," Harris said.

Prosecutors said the motive was Peterson's desire to live life as a freewheeling bachelor, unencumbered by a wife and child.

During the trial, jurors heard hours of taped telephone conversations between Peterson and his mistress, massage therapist Amber Frey.

During the penalty phase, Peterson's friends and relatives took the stand to plead for his life, calling him a kind person who could benefit others in prison.

Peterson's mother cried on the stand Wednesday as she begged jurors to spare her son's life.

"We would lose a whole family," Jackie Peterson testified. It "would be like they never existed ... such a waste, irreversible."

Prosecutor David Harris urged jurors to reject the argument that life in prison without parole would be worse punishment than death.

"If you have life, he gets to sit in a cell, read a book, write letters; he gets to have life," he said. "All the things that Laci and Conner would love to do, all the things that Laci's family would love to be able to share with Laci and Conner."

He noted that while others were praying for the safe return of Laci and her baby, "the man who knew where they were laughed and lied. ... He is the worst kind of monster."

CNN's Rusty Dornin and Ted Rowlands contributed to this report.

Well he did a terrible thing BUT seeing as how I can't support the death penalty, I can't say this is a good thing. Since I'm pretty sure this is going to turn into a death penalty debate, I just wanna say that in order to make him suffer more I'd rather he would sit and rot in jail for the rest of his life.

Death penalty or not, he should be castrated, that's my solution to these criminal activities... sterilization! just clear them genes from the pool.

Needless to say anybody know when the last time they executed someone in California was. And on another note, I doubt killing him will ever get the truth, just like McVeigh.

Death by injecttion whats so bad about that? A little prick then they go to sleep. And why do they clean the area before injection? Its not like hes going to get sick after! I mean whats the point?

Seeing that this whole case was so messed up, and that there was so many mistakes he is going to get a new trial anyways.

Well, the death penalty is always wrong...I'm morally against it. Also, I feel that life in prison is just as bad of punishment and he will still feel the "wrath" of the general population, so to speak.

I understand the reasoning for the death penalty...I just don't agree with it.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']Death by injecttion whats so bad about that? A little prick then they go to sleep. And why do they clean the area before injection? Its not like hes going to get sick after! I mean whats the point?[/quote]

Actually they use a chemical that was banned for use in animals.

It causes total paralysis and the victim dies the most painful death possible with a peaceful look on their face.

It's too bad the PETA only protects animals or there would be a more humane way to execute humans, too.

I'd feel safer knowing people like him were off this earth...if it wasnt for the other 650 people like him in just that one states prisons

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. Either way, I'm glad he's done for. Death or life in prison, he deserves it.

[quote name='David85']Seeing that this whole case was so messed up, and that there was so many mistakes he is going to get a new trial anyways.[/quote]

By what means? His trial has gone to its conclusion without any procedural issues that would require a new trial. There will be the typical endless appeal but that does not constitute a new trial. It can only get him out of the death penalty but not the conviction. Unless some truly remarkable evidence is produced the man is locked away for good. The only question is whther he dies of natural causes or not.

Myonly dissatisfaction here is that the execution is at minimum a decade away. He'll probably find some lunatic woman to marry him in the meantime and enjoy conjugal visits.

I'm fully in favor of the death penalty. I favor Larry Niven's suggestion of breaking up the convicted for parts used in transplant surgery. As the forensics field improves at a rapid pace the number of people who are genuinely innocent on death row will dwindle to a vanishingly small number.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='David85']Seeing that this whole case was so messed up, and that there was so many mistakes he is going to get a new trial anyways.[/quote]

By what means? His trial has gone to its conclusion without any procedural issues that would require a new trial. There will be the typical endless appeal but that does not constitute a new trial. It can only get him out of the death penalty but not the conviction. Unless some truly remarkable evidence is produced the man is locked away for good. The only question is whther he dies of natural causes or not.[/quote]

Actually, all states that have the death penalty also have a system in place so that anytime someone is sentenced to death there is an automatic appeal. In addition to that, the grounds for an appeal can be very open to interpretation. Remember when those jurors were dismissed during the trial when they went to deliberate? That alone would probably be enough for a new trial. I still can't believe that they got away with it, replacing jurors because they were holding up the trial because they refused to find him guilty? I'm not saying he's innocent but still that's absolutely ridiculous.

Do you realizw how much to actually costs to keep people for life in prision. First theres the food. Then the hbo and weights and the execrise equpiment and the carnival ride and the ponys. Prision life really isn't as bad as it sounds sure Im sure it sucks. But may epople commit crimes to go to jail! they get a bed they get food they get tv thats better then some had it on the outside! They allso get or can get college degresss for free. I think if prision was well more like a place people didn't want to go then you would see less there.

I want to ask how you feel about the dp. and why? Heres my take from in the middle.

First we say Hey your not allowed to kill then we say but were going to kill you cause you killed!

Then some say you get worse by sitting in jail ( and wasting tax payers money) But then people say it cost to much to let them sit in jail

Then people say it cost double to kill em. I say how much can rope and a ladder cost???

[quote name='epobirs']By what means? His trial has gone to its conclusion without any procedural issues that would require a new trial.[/quote]

Are you kidding? This has probably been the most fucked up trial I've ever seen or heard of. They were dropping jurors right and left through the whole thing (one of them for daring to say that he believes in 'innocent until proven guilty' - WTF?) There was an amazingly high number of 'misquotes', where a lawyer, witness or what-have-you said something they weren't supposed to (the good old 'the jury will ingore the previous statement' thing.) A few of those are normal in any case, but the number of them in this case was staggering. There were constant public leaks about the case, and the jury's sequestering was broken at least once.

Any one of the above is plenty to get you a new trial. All of them together... By any rational measure, a mistrial should have been declared a good 6 months ago. The judge was just being stubborn about it, not wanting to look bad in such a public case, and the defense was hoping the constant screw-ups would work in their favor so they didn't push too hard for one. It didn't, but I'm sure they're not going to break a sweat getting the whole thing thrown out...

[quote name='Mr_hockey66'] Then the hbo and weights and the execrise equpiment and the carnival ride and the ponys.[/quote]
Wow! Free pony rides? Excuse me, but I have to go rob a bank (as I'm sure you've already done, since obviously prison is so wonderful.)

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']They allso get or can get college degresss for free. [/quote]
I wonder if they offer remedial English classes...

bread's done
Back