Screen burn from the internet browser?! WTF?!

Sofa King Kool

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
How long does it take a moniter to screen burn? I just tried playing Garry's Mod and there are big whitish burns in the screen in the shape of my internet toolbar. How did this happen?! The only time my moniter is ever on for a long time is when I'm using it. I think the longest amount of time I've ever spent on the internet was three hours. I always turn it off when I leave my computer, even if it's only for a few seconds. Yet somehow, I still managed to burn the screen quite badly. How could this have happened from simply using it?!

(And can anybody suggest a good place to buy moniters?)

I've had a Sony 17" LCD for close to 4 years now. I never had a problem w/ burn in on it. So it's probably just unlucky that you got a brand or model that does it. You shouldn't avoid LCD, because burn in on CRT is even worse. Go for some repectable brands like Viewsonic, Samsung, Dell... etc and you shouldn't have a burn in problem. You might want to look into a widescreen because that's probably a better choice for most people. Not that it is significantly beneficial to you to have a wider screen, but these are on sale everyday. Also there are things you can do to avoid this, such as, move your windows around so that they're not stationary. I have a habit of resizing my firefox browser to suit each site.

[quote name='cdietschrun']Any big magnets or anything near the computer? Possibly a subwoofer? That may have something to do with it[/quote]

Two speakers, a light, a clock, and an intercom.

I doubt that's it, it was kind of a stretch. I don't really know. Try degaussing? In the monitor's menu theres usually that option.

Degaussing is only used to remove magnetic fields... not sure if that would help with burn in. It might though.

It should be called degauss, I've never seen it under anything else.

BTW, what kind of monitor is it?

[quote name='d00k']I've had it for about three years.

Should I avoid LCD? Because that's what I have now, and I'd really like to avoid this problem in the future.[/QUOTE]

LCDs do not get "burn in". The phenomenon you're seeing on your display is from a part of the panel retaining an electrical charge. This is not very common but it can happen on older or lower quality panels. Unless it is just broken or shorted out, you can try running some full motion video over the whole screen for a while. If that does not help, turn off the monitor and unplug it to make sure it's getting no power. Turn it back on in an hour or so and the image retention should be gone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence

[quote name='sketch226']LCDs do not get "burn in". The phenomenon you're seeing on your display is from a part of the panel retaining an electrical charge. This is not very common but it can happen on older or lower quality panels. Unless it is just broken or shorted out, you can try running some full motion video over the whole screen for a while. If that does not help, turn off the monitor and unplug it to make sure it's getting no power. Turn it back on in an hour or so and the image retention should be gone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence[/quote]

That actually describes it more accurately. That's probably what it is because I've noticed that the "burn in" has become less detailed. I used to actually be able to see my favorites bar, but now its just a blurry blob.

I'll try what you suggested.

bread's done
Back